Battlefield tour Somme (1 Viewer)

Oct 24, 2023
Funster No
MH
swift bessacarr
Evening everyone. I've had a look but can't find an answer to my question on the forums so here goes.
I'm looking to take my old man to tour the battlefields of the somme next May. I was wondering if anyone knows what the various memorial/ battlefield sites were like for parking. Is it best to park up for a few days and hire a car? Or are these sites accessible with the motorhome. Also just any general tips people may have for this kind of trip?
Was looking at staying in Albert, but if anyone has better suggestions I'd appreciate your advice.

Thanks in advance guys.

The Coops

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 8, 2019
The Fylde
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact DL
Exp
Yes, thank you
If you can get hold of a book called * Before Endeavours Fade* By Rosie Coombs it has set tours and maps in it, bit dated now as printed in the 1970/80's but a good starting point

OP
OP
Bazc79
Oct 24, 2023
Funster No
MH
swift bessacarr
Thanks! I'll have a look around for that 👍

Apr 20, 2020
Northern Ireland.
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact SC.
Exp
Since 2017
Albert is a good choice. We stayed at Camping Le Velodrome. A basic campsite and an easy walk into town. We had no problems getting parked at any of the locations so I don’t think it would be necessary to hire a car. The Ulster Tower, Thiepval, Loughnagar Crater etc. are all very close. You should also consider visiting Ypres in Belgium.

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
we have been to a few sites of the world wars, dont know that I would call them battlefields that we have been to, but the motorhome has always been welcome.
I am thinking of war cemeteries, Ypres, Arras caves, Waterloo (I know its not WW) sort of places
I think the beaches for Normandy landings are pretty good as well

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 18, 2021
Mid Devon
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact SC
Exp
Camping since 1954, MoHo 2022
We passed through this summer and stayed on the Camping-Car Park aire at Bray-sur-Somme and travelled around from there - Thiepval, etc.

Although our stay was limited I’d say you’d have no problem with parking or overnighting in a MoHo in the region.

OP
OP
Bazc79
Oct 24, 2023
Funster No
MH
swift bessacarr
Albert is a good choice. We stayed at Camping Le Velodrome. A basic campsite and an easy walk into town. We had no problems getting parked at any of the locations so I don’t think it would be necessary to hire a car. The Ulster Tower, Thiepval, Loughnagar Crater etc. are all very close. You should also consider visiting Ypres in Belgium.
We're actually starting off in Ypres, I've got us booked in at the camping jeugdstadion site. For 2 days.
I tried to book the Velodrome site but found it's quite confusing. I sent them an email last week but not heard anything. I'll keep trying that one.
Thanks for the heads up though. I wasn't keen on hiring a car AND having the van there as well.

OP
OP
Bazc79
Oct 24, 2023
Funster No
MH
swift bessacarr
we have been to a few sites of the world wars, dont know that I would call them battlefields that we have been to, but the motorhome has always been welcome.
I am thinking of war cemeteries, Ypres, Arras caves, Waterloo (I know its not WW) sort of places
I think the beaches for Normandy landings are pretty good as well
I'd really like to do notmandy, as my grandad was on the D-Day landings but we're quite short on time on this trip. But it's definitely one for the future. I'd. Also like to do thiepval. My dad went with his old regiment when he was serving, and said it was quite a humbling experience. Thanks.

OP
OP
Bazc79
Oct 24, 2023
Funster No
MH
swift bessacarr
We passed through this summer and stayed on the Camping-Car Park aire at Bray-sur-Somme and travelled around from there - Thiepval, etc.

Although our stay was limited I’d say you’d have no problem with parking or overnighting in a MoHo in the region.
Sorry, The aires, I'm brand new to all this. These are the car park type things is that right?
It's good to know as others have said, that using the MoHo to get around won't be an issue 😊

OP
OP
Bazc79
Oct 24, 2023
Funster No
MH
swift bessacarr
Verdun.

There is a campsite in Verdun, but parking at the memorial is free and no barriers. Not sure about overnighting there
Very worthwhile a visit.
Thanks!! I'll have a look at that campsite.
Just read the first paragraph of the link you posted. Some of the statistics on there are just insane!!

Oct 18, 2021
Mid Devon
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact SC
Exp
Sorry, The aires, I'm brand new to all this. These are the car park type things is that right?
It's good to know as others have said, that using the MoHo to get around won't be an issue 😊

Yes Camping-Car Parks. Well worth getting the card before you go and downloading their app.

If you do happen to stay on the one at Bray-sur-Somme be sure to take your fishing rods!

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
Your Dad may appreciate you taking some wooden crosses to leave at the various graveyard sites. I got mine from here before we went.
If there is anyone in the family you lost, you can write their names on it.

OP
OP
Bazc79
Oct 24, 2023
Funster No
MH
swift bessacarr
Yes Camping-Car Parks. Well worth getting the card before you go and downloading their app.

If you do happen to stay on the one at Bray-sur-Somme be sure to take your fishing rods!
The old man will be very happy with this 😂

OP
OP
Bazc79
Oct 24, 2023
Funster No
MH
swift bessacarr
OP
OP
Bazc79
Oct 24, 2023
Funster No
MH
swift bessacarr
Thank you all for your help so far. I've got more information in the last 20 mins from here, than I have searching the Internet for the last 2 weeks 🙂

OP
OP
Bazc79
Oct 24, 2023
Funster No
MH
swift bessacarr
We have stayed there a few times now. Just turned up, no need to book.
Ah OK. That's even better. If he decides he wants to stay in Belgium for another day or so, at least we're not committed to a booking somewhere else. 👍

Apr 7, 2014
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLI 580
Exp
Since 2002
After visiting Thiepval to view my great grandads name on the memorial we stayed overnight on their car park.

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
Thank you all for your help so far. I've got more information in the last 20 mins from here, than I have searching the Internet for the last 2 weeks 🙂

If you have a motorhome this will be the best £20 you spent, this is how it is on here, helping and being helped.. a community..🙂

Apr 9, 2018
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo 75-4t
Exp
March 2018
Thanks!! I'll have a look at that campsite.
Just read the first paragraph of the link you posted. Some of the statistics on there are just insane!!
It’s a must do place to visit. Very humbling. Thought provoking.
In Verdun are some underground war tunnels. The campsite is just outside the town.

Dec 13, 2019
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Since 2019
We have done a few of them prior to the motorhome purchase. From what I recall, the vast majority of the main sites were, as is the case in the majority of France, well equipped for motorhome parking. I could not say if they allow overnight stops though, but if you use S4S I doubt you will be stuck for places to hole up in some beutiful little French towns. If you need recognised sites, that may be more difficult depending on the time of year. I went with my friend in a car. We were looking for his uncle who fell in WW1, we had a good (perhaps rewarding is a more appropriate adjective) time and stumbled across many little cemeteries along the way. All laid out beautifully with great respect for the brave souls who gave their lives to enable us to enjoy our lives today.
Safe and happy travels.

Reactions: f6c
OP
OP
Bazc79
Oct 24, 2023
Funster No
MH
swift bessacarr
If you have a motorhome this will be the best £20 you spent, this is how it is on here, helping and being helped.. a community..🙂
I definitely get that impression. I pick up my first ever motor home on Saturday, and my insurance said I had to be a member of a club. They recommended this one, I'm pleased they did 👍

OP
OP
Bazc79
Oct 24, 2023
Funster No
MH
swift bessacarr
We have done a few of them prior to the motorhome purchase. From what I recall, the vast majority of the main sites were, as is the case in the majority of France, well equipped for motorhome parking. I could not say if they allow overnight stops though, but if you use S4S I doubt you will be stuck for places to hole up in some beutiful little French towns. If you need recognised sites, that may be more difficult depending on the time of year. I went with my friend in a car. We were looking for his uncle who fell in WW1, we had a good (perhaps rewarding is a more appropriate adjective) time and stumbled across many little cemeteries along the way. All laid out beautifully with great respect for the brave souls who gave their lives to enable us to enjoy our lives today.
Safe and happy travels
It sounds like an experience you'll never forget. I think it's something everyone should do even if they have no family tie to it. Just to pay respects to...as you say...the brave souls who gave their lives for us!!

Oct 18, 2021
Mid Devon
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact SC
Exp
It’s a must do place to visit. Very humbling. Thought provoking.
In Verdun are some underground war tunnels. The campsite is just outside the town.

After visiting the Verdun Ossuary I was struck by how impersonal it seemed to be compared to the British & Commonwealth memorials and grave sites further north. It was certainly very humbling and acknowledged the great sacrifices made by the French troops but didn’t record their details in the same way.

Maybe Kubrick’s film ‘Paths of Glory’, although controversially anti-war at the time of release, accurately reflected the attitude of the higher ups to the common soldier?

Dec 13, 2019
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Since 2019
It sounds like an experience you'll never forget. I think it's something everyone should do even if they have no family tie to it. Just to pay respects to...as you say...the brave souls who gave their lives for us!!
Thanks for the comment. I am fairly sure of two things.
Your dad will appreciate it.
You will both create a lasting memory.
If you get to Vimy Ridge, try to go on a day where they have the tour of the tunnels open. It is quite an eye-opener.

Apr 9, 2018
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo 75-4t
Exp
March 2018
I think the ossuary is a collection of bones from about 130,000 soldiers all collected from the battlefield and all jumbled together, so no records of who they were.
Basically, blown to pieces and the bones collected. Looking through the windows from the outside is quite an emotional experience.

Apr 20, 2020
Northern Ireland.
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact SC.
Exp
Since 2017
This photo was taken at the Somme in June, very close to the Ulster Tower. The wheat fields were full of poppies. A very memorable sight.

IMG_7178.jpeg

OP
OP
Bazc79
Oct 24, 2023
Funster No
MH
swift bessacarr
Thanks for the comment. I am fairly sure of two things.
Your dad will appreciate it.
You will both create a lasting memory.
If you get to Vimy Ridge, try to go on a day where they have the tour of the tunnels open. It is quite an eye-opener.
I'd quite like to see the tunnels. So I think I'll make a special effort for that one.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back