LIFE MEMBER
Aug 27, 2017
Harrogate
Funster No
MH
F Line F70
Exp
Since 2012
One of the overall issues facing both Swift & Bailey is that they build on the L3 standard chassis regardless of length. This limits them in terms of towing & payload due to chassis extensions both coachbuilders fit to increase the overall length - hence the larger overhang at the rear.

Ford have both L3 & L4 Motorhome Specific Widetrack Chassis' which overcome this but as it's more expensive they won't pay for it.

Internally The F Line isn't as attractive as it's two UK competitors, nowhere near to be honest - practical would be the best way to describe it but... Auto Trail, well Trigano in truth, built their Ford based motorhomes across all of their brands on this L3 & L4 motorhome chassis hence why they offer larger payloads, towing capacities & train weights in standard 3500kg form.

Upvote 0

x17ken

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 11, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo
Exp
Since 2015
But if you uprate to 4250kg loaded your tow capacity will be nil? If / when I upgrade I am thinking of going to 3850kg leaving 400 kg for scooter and trailer.
Is my thinking correct?
Think of the top line number of 4250kg as an overall maximum weight limit of your combined unit on the road. It doesn't matter whether you are towing Sally on a buggy or a heavy weight Harley on a trailer, your total combined weight cannot exceed 4250kg. Fiddling with the weight limits within this total does not alter the total top line number. If I were you I would max out the weight limit on the motorhome on paper GVM (with or without air bags) - but also recognise that your total rig in action must fall within the gross train weight whether you are towing or not.

Upvote 0

x17ken

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 11, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo
Exp
Since 2015
As a slight qualification to my previous point - if you uprated the GVM to 4,000kg on paper (without airbags) and were not towing, your total mass in the MoHo alone would be restricted to 4,000kg.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Jul 11, 2020
Southampton
Funster No
MH
Benimar Tessoro T486
Exp
Since August 2020
Odd, our dealer specifically told us we could not uprate. I will have a chat with Sv.
x17ken Did you have to upgrade anything, tyres etc.?
Is yours manual or auto .?
Before we got rid of our adamo 75 4DL, we uprated to 4000 kg via SV Tech too - paper exercise only. Could have gone to 4250 but would have needed suspension upgrade.
Bailey is not well built imho - flimsy is the word

Upvote 0
Apr 9, 2018
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo 75-4t
Exp
March 2018
I spoke to SvTech. Basically I can go to 4000kg with no upgrades to tyres or suspension. 4100kg with air on the back leaving GTW at 4250kg.

The front axle stays at 1850 and the rear at 2250 as per current plates if I go to overall 4000 but the rear increases to 2430 if I add the air and go for 4100kg. I am waiting to hear back from AS about that.

As for towing they say as long as I don’t exceed 4250 GTW I can tow up to 750kg so long as I make up any extra trailer weight from reducing payload.

Depending on the cost adding air seems like a sensible upgrade anyway.

Thanks for all the advice, especially x17ken 👍👍

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Apr 9, 2018
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo 75-4t
Exp
March 2018
Spoke to AS. They only do a full pumped system at about £1250 fitted.

I know some have manual pump systems. Where best to enquire about those and is the only downside a bit of time and fiddling to operate ?

Upvote 0
Nov 3, 2016
Derbyshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph
Exp
Since 2016
Hi All, Thanks fpr the add. :giggle: I'm currently looking at buying a Bailey Adamo 75-4T. Does anyone know if this MH can be up-plated?
Is the T because you hate your wife or your touring with your sister?

My 79-4F is for sale on here. I think the best layout of any MH ive seen. of course its all personal preference and I still like to sma$h my missis ;)

Upvote 0
Oct 25, 2016
Hartford Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 79-
Exp
Lots but slow learner.
Is the T because you hate your wife or your touring with your sister?

My 79-4F is for sale on here. I think the best layout of any MH ive seen. of course its all personal preference and I still like to sma$h my missis ;)
Of course it is. Personally we don't like the F and prefer the T. I have a stick at the side of my bed so if she gives me grief i can reach across to bash her. :LOL: (y);)

Upvote 0

x17ken

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 11, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo
Exp
Since 2015
Spoke to AS. They only do a full pumped system at about £1250 fitted.

I know some have manual pump systems. Where best to enquire about those and is the only downside a bit of time and fiddling to operate ?
How handy is your man? I bought the Dunlop system from https://www.marcleleisure.co.uk/. Cost was around £550. I parked the vehicle forward on a downward slope on my drive to give maximum access underneath the rear suspension. I read and followed the instructions to the letter and fitted the whole kit in under 2 hours. Having done it once I could probably do it in 1 hour next time. I ran the connecting air lines to the basic two-way air valve that came with the kit. I chose to install this in my gas locker for convenience. You don't need auto adjusting systems in my opinion. Once you get used to the dynamics you can be very precise with the inflation level you want to set on both sides of the rear using a simple car tyre pump. You can even marginally adjust your MoHo level on campsites if you want to be perfectly level.

Upvote 0
Apr 9, 2018
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo 75-4t
Exp
March 2018
I have an Adamo 75-4dl. I have uprated it to 4,000kg using the services of Sv Tech. I have also added Dunlop airbags to the rear axle to help with stability. The airbags were not required for the uprating to 4000kg. With them now added I believe I could increase by a further 150kg.
Hi x17ken . Have had a message from SvTech to say I can up to 4000kg now and they will issue another plate for 4100kg for free if I show them I have added air assist and within a year.

I was thinking tyre valves. Have you upgraded to metal valve stems? Would they be needed for higher pressures at the higher weights?

Thanks

Upvote 0

Jonno1103

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 27, 2017
Harrogate
Funster No
MH
F Line F70
Exp
Since 2012
Hi x17ken . Have had a message from SvTech to say I can up to 4000kg now and they will issue another plate for 4100kg for free if I show them I have added air assist and within a year.

I was thinking tyre valves. Have you upgraded to metal valve stems? Would they be needed for higher pressures at the higher weights?

Thanks
Each standard wheel and tyre is rated to 1200kg

Upvote 0

x17ken

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 11, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo
Exp
Since 2015

Thanks
As Jonno1103 reports tyres are rated to 1200 (1215 on mine). I believe that I sent the tyre details to Sv Tech before they could confirm that no modifications were necessary in the up-plating to 4000kg. Thanks for the info about them providing another plate within a year for free if air assist is added. As I reported earlier my original motivation for adding airbags was to help with stability - and they have been great. I might as well now go for the full 4100kg if there is no additional cost. Thanks

Upvote 0
Apr 9, 2018
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo 75-4t
Exp
March 2018
Just waiting for my 4000kg plate from SvTech. It’s being printed apparently.
IMG_0089.jpeg

Upvote 0

x17ken

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 11, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo
Exp
Since 2015
I stuck mine right next to the Ford plate on the door pillar. Be careful you only get one go at it. Now watch your rear axle loadings. The up-plating feels like you are getting a lot of extra capacity overall, but the rear axle on the Adamo is doing all the heavy lifting. I recommend airbags to improve stability on the rear - even if you don't need them for your up-plating.

Upvote 0
Apr 9, 2018
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo 75-4t
Exp
March 2018
I stuck mine right next to the Ford plate on the door pillar. Be careful you only get one go at it. Now watch your rear axle loadings. The up-plating feels like you are getting a lot of extra capacity overall, but the rear axle on the Adamo is doing all the heavy lifting. I recommend airbags to improve stability on the rear - even if you don't need them for your up-plating.
Had to put in on the drivers pillar as there is another Ford sticker of some sort on the near side.
Really do appreciate your input x17ken. Thanks.

Next stop. Look at air assist.

IMG_0091.jpeg

IMG_0092.jpeg

Upvote 0
Feb 5, 2014
mid-Norfolk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2006
I liked Adamo-74 since they were launched and visited our local dealer on Thursday, as they had some new ones with £3k reduction :giggle: . However, we decided against them, after deciding that the T suited us best.
Saturday we looked at some Benimar t243 (twin rear bed) and quite liked them (y).

Quite by chance BiL mentioned that Fords are having a lot of problems with their "wet belt" system, whereby the timing belt degrades and the engine goes kaput. We thought this only applied to 1litre Fiestas but no: 2 litre Transits suffer with the same problem and there are loads of internet posts with people getting brand new engines under warranty but other being lumbered with £6 500 bills because they didn't use Ford main-dealer services. We will not be buying anything on this platform! :cry:

Gordon

Upvote 0

BNM

Sep 23, 2024
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo 75-4T
Hi All, Thanks fpr the add. :giggle: I'm currently looking at buying a Bailey Adamo 75-4T. Does anyone know if this MH can be up-plated?
I may be a bit late with this answer for you, but on this vehicle you can up-plate the vehicle to 4000kg as a paper exercise providing a payload of 844kg. A company called SV Tech can do this for you at an approximate cost of £336.00. You will of course have to have a C1 licence to drive it, providing you passed your test before 1st of January 1997, you will be eligible to drive it. Interestingly it will also reduce your road tax to c£160.00, so after a couple of years you will also recoup your up-plating cost.
Should you have rear semi-air suspension fitted, you may be able to further increase the payload to 944kg.
Hope this helps.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back