Awful crash - note the age of the tyre that blew out (1 Viewer)

Jun 14, 2014
Coventry
Funster No
MH
IH N680CFL
Exp
Since2014
As a newbe to this forum and not too savvy with protocols, could i ask the Question in relation to the tyres and vehicle , HOW did it ever get past the required MOT each year , and if so surely its the garage that issued such a certificate that should be also held responsible . ron
Hello Ron. Welcome.

It's just a matter of opinions really. I think most would be with you in asking how would it pass an MOT. Possibly age of vehicle means no requirement for seat belts. Personally I believe Driver responsibility.
The investigation says he walks free. My opinion is he's got off lightly.

Unfortunately they are not here because of his actions.

Jun 14, 2014
Coventry
Funster No
MH
IH N680CFL
Exp
Since2014
IF, at the time of MOT, the tyre had sufficient tread depth with no obvious bulges etc. it will pass an MOT.
The responsibility clause for all MOT stations, ends at their doors.
Did they not introduce an age limit on the tyres? But you are right. As soon as you drive away it's not there problem.

Oct 5, 2023
N.Ireland
Funster No
MH
Rapido 696f
Exp
MH 4 years Cruisers a life time
Didn't have to worry about all these issues when I was boating on inland lakes ,if the engine stopped you threw out the anchor and went to bed ,sort it later , but reading these posts is a great learning curve ,"never to old to learn " tks

Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
It applies to any vehicle and to any suspension-related failure. Obvious stuff I'd have thought.
It may be obvious to you but, in my experience, when one is not expecting a front wheel blow-out, it takes great presence of mind to resist one's natural instinct and put one's foot on the brake, however lightly, especially on the crowded roads of the UK.

After some tuition and several practices plus one incident with a Coachload of passengers on the way to Stansted.
The best I have achieved is to take my foot off the accelerator but NOT apply the brake.

If possible, just let it slow down at its own pace. The tyre will usually stay in place and steerable in a nearly straight line until about 30mph by which time I was on the M11 hard shoulder.

I've never had any tuition or blow-out experience with a FWD vehicle, so on that, I cannot comment! 🤞

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
It may be obvious to you but, in my experience, when one is not expecting a front wheel blow-out, it takes great presence of mind to resist one's natural instinct and put one's foot on the brake, however lightly, especially on the crowded roads of the UK.

After some tuition and several practices plus one incident with a Coachload of passengers on the way to Stansted.
The best I have achieved is to take my foot off the accelerator but NOT apply the brake.

If possible, just let it slow down at its own pace. The tyre will usually stay in place and steerable in a nearly straight line until about 30mph by which time I was on the M11 hard shoulder.

I've never had any tuition or blow-out experience with a FWD vehicle, so on that, I cannot comment! 🤞
Apart from a couple of motorcycling deflations my first 4 wheel "experience" was losing a front wheel off an Austin J4 at 65mph. I have a sufficiently active imagination that I instantly visualised the brake drum digging into the tarmac if I braked so I didn't and the van eventually slowed enough to allow me to turn into a side road. The vehicle remained stable. I have never been tempted to brake before assessing the feel of a wounded vehicle.

Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
Apart from a couple of motorcycling deflations my first 4 wheel "experience" was losing a front wheel off an Austin J4 at 65mph. I have a sufficiently active imagination that I instantly visualised the brake drum digging into the tarmac if I braked so I didn't and the van eventually slowed enough to allow me to turn into a side road. The vehicle remained stable. I have never been tempted to brake before assessing the feel of a wounded vehicle.

If you lost a Front wheel unexpectedly off a J4, you were very lucky for a vehicle so boxy with the engine, between the seats over the front axle, not to dig in and roll at 65mph!

The wheel you lost must have been the one opposite side from where you were seated and the turn off, not sharp.
Thank goodness for stiff body shelled vans!

It's good to read some people, instantly, have the presence of mind not to apply their brakes! 👍

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
If you lost a Front wheel unexpectedly off a J4, you were very lucky for a vehicle so boxy with the engine, between the seats over the front axle, not to dig in and roll at 65mph!

The wheel you lost must have been the one opposite side from where you were seated and the turn off, not sharp.
Thank goodness for stiff body shelled vans!

It's good to read some people, instantly, have the presence of mind not to apply their brakes! 👍
Agree. It was the nearside wheel and the van was amazingly stable. The turnoff was to the left and I was travelling pretty slowly by the time I got to it.

Apr 24, 2018
France
Funster No
MH
2001 Hymer B544
Exp
Since 1992
One I was going to ask and I'm glad I've seen the advice.
Front tyres 7 years old, back tyres 12 years old and the spare even older.
Was advised by a garage in the UK that my tyres were fine before leaving.
5 new tyres fitted today in Spain.
Good call. Happy holidays.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back