Awful crash - note the age of the tyre that blew out (1 Viewer)

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I think it is time to start failing MOT failures for old tyres as idiots can't seem to take responsibility. Might have saved the children had they been replaced at 10 years?
ALSO There is not a cat in hells chance I would not have front face seats with seat belts for my children if I had them.

Seat belt saved my mum's life when I was a kid. I have been a massive fan of them ever since.

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
This is why I get angry when people come on here and ask about their kids in the back of a van with no belts fittedā€¦šŸ¤¬

The driver in question was a professional driver and a vehicle technician, 19 year old tyres on a heavy vanā€¦šŸ¤·šŸ¼ā€ā™‚ļø

I really feel for them.. but..

Nov 20, 2022
Congleton
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr 494 lounge
If the vehicle was still an Hgv the maximum tyre age for steer tyres Is 10 years,as it was obviously re classified as a motorhome it falls under a visual inspection.it amazes me on here peoples attitude to tyres saying oh I never go far or my tread is like new etc tyres start to degrade internally aswell as the exterior,my motorhome tyres had done 6000 miles in 6 years when I bought it, 1st thing I did was change all 5, completely different ride quality.under close inspection they were covered in tiny cracks internally and had started to perish externally.tyres are the only contact point to the road,remember this when your going rod a bend in the road in your 3.5 t or more expensive home on wheels! Get to know your tyres, ask at an independent tyre dealer to inspect them with you,check pressures,tread,get them rotated.look after them.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 20, 2022
Congleton
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr 494 lounge
If the vehicle was still an Hgv the maximum tyre age for steer tyres Is 10 years,as it was obviously re classified as a motorhome it falls under a visual inspection.it amazes me on here peoples attitude to tyres saying oh I never go far or my tread is like new etc tyres start to degrade internally aswell as the exterior,my motorhome tyres had done 6000 miles in 6 years when I bought it, 1st thing I did was change all 5, completely different ride quality.under close inspection they were covered in tiny cracks internally and had started to perish externally.tyres are the only contact point to the road,remember this when your going rod a bend in the road in your 3.5 t or more expensive home on wheels! Get to know your tyres, ask at an independent tyre dealer to inspect them with you,check pressures,tread,get them rotated.look after them.
And when you do the garage will sell them on as seconds. :eek:
Small independent tyre garages that deal with hgvs and agricultural tyres are often the best places for honest advice,unlike the big multinational companies like halfrauds or Kwak fit,( deliberate mis spelling)who are just too eager for quick profit

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
And when you do the garage will sell them on as seconds. :eek:
sorry I would insist I at least observe them being destroyed beyond service. If needs be I would drill a hole in the sidewall of each before paying for them to be environmentally recycled. I would not want it on my conscience, having experienced a few blow outs over the years. 2 went within days of being fitted and all 4 were returned to the manufacturer and replaced. One of those I was doing 80, yes I know, and it was front nearside. An HGV alongside me at the time saw it happen and held back the traffic allowing me to coast to the hard shoulder. The car was shaking so much that I was amazed it didn't fall apart

Apr 6, 2019
Eye, Peterborough, UK
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
FourWinds Windsport 6.8L V10
The law needs changing.

1- My trusted local garage now refuse to fit a tyre over 5 years old. All garages should consider similar.

2- first RV we visited to view a few years ago had a fresh MOT and all 6 tyres on 7000Kg RV were 17 years old. When I said I wouldn't buy without them replacing they near enough said they wouldn't pay for it. Reckless!!

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
The only people prepared to risk old tyres on a heavy vehicle, have clearly never experienced a blowout or sudden catastrophic instant deflation. Think of a wheel falling off and multiply what you would expect multiple times

I took a look at a motorhome a couple of years ago that needed a new bathroom. A rear tyre burst and the shredded remnants that continued to spin for the next few hundred yards ripped open the wheel arch, the shower tray, the toilet, the floor and part of the inner wall.

68c

Oct 22, 2019
Southampton
Funster No
MH
2001 Pilote 270
Exp
Since 2004
place I used to use in the Uk years ago always slashed the sidewalls as they removed them. Here when I change tyres I always bring back the old ones .mate used to have them for his tractor.
Working in Pakistan forty odd years ago a scandal in the local paper. A local government official had set up a system to buy worn out tyres from Europe and have them remolded in Pakistan with part of the profit going to the local authority. Well and good until a ship full of tyres had all been guilotined in half as an EU safety measure.

Jun 14, 2014
Coventry
Funster No
MH
IH N680CFL
Exp
Since2014
Tragic, but as a professional driver he should have known better and taken steps to protect his family.
But he has to live with that knowledge for the rest of his life.
As you say. Tragic. I do agree. But

I've not seen anything to say he was arrested and charged but reading the Mail report a Professional driver/technician driving a modified vehicle with his kids in the back with no seat belts owned it for 25 years with 2002 tyres on.
He might be devastated by what he has done and has to live with the consequences.
But where are the charges against him as the driver responsible for killing. As a professional driver technician he had the knowledge to prevent this happening to his family. I can't believe he took such a massive risk.
May his wife and children rest in peace. :heartbreak:

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
Presumably he wasn't charged because he did nothing illegal.
But he was certainly reckless in his approach to the safety of himself and his family and as a professional driver should have known better.
As you say RIP

Jun 14, 2014
Coventry
Funster No
MH
IH N680CFL
Exp
Since2014
Presumably he wasn't charged because he did nothing illegal.
But he was certainly reckless in his approach to the safety of himself and his family and as a professional driver should have known better.
As you say RIP
This is what I don't get.

Since when has it been legal for any children to travel in a vehicle without a seatbelt?
We have just downsized and only have the 2 front seat belts. But I have a seat in the back. Sounds like I can carry a couple of passengers without worry of prosecution?

Don't get me wrong I passed my test before seatbelts and never used them until they became law and you could if you so wished drink and drive to a much greater extent than today but putting your children in a moving vehicle without a seatbelt now with the knowledge he had.

I'll stop at that :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad: unbelievable

Sorry as a recently retired professional driver myself and the knowledge out there it's a sad story

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
I think it depends on the age of the vehicle, pre a certain date I don't think there is a requirement of all passengers to be restrained.
The law is failing in this regard
The fact it's a conversion may come into play as well ?

OP
OP
SpeedyDux
Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
As you say. Tragic. I do agree. But

I've not seen anything to say he was arrested and charged but reading the Mail report a Professional driver/technician driving a modified vehicle with his kids in the back with no seat belts owned it for 25 years with 2002 tyres on.
He might be devastated by what he has done and has to live with the consequences.
But where are the charges against him as the driver responsible for killing. As a professional driver technician he had the knowledge to prevent this happening to his family. I can't believe he took such a massive risk.
May his wife and children rest in peace. :heartbreak:

The charging decision would be down to the CPS. It is quite possible that the CPS took the view that a lay jury was unlikely to convict the driver of any serious driving offence on the facts put forward by the Police investigation, and in those circumstances accept a defence argument that put it down to a tragic accident, instead of finding negligence, recklessness, or other criminal intent on the part of the driver.

Apr 14, 2008
Cromer norfolk
Funster No
MH
Bailey approach 745
Exp
since 2002
When I bought current 11 year Motorhome all tyres where original 3@11 year old 1@ 12 years old and the seller wondered why they needed changing with 5mm of tread left and me wanting Ā£1000 of the asking price. Got me grand off and fitted new tyres straight away

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Wonder if I should change the tyres on my classic motorbike, only put them on 24 years ago and they are still like newšŸ¤”šŸ¤”šŸ¤”šŸ˜šŸ˜
If it's one that's stood in your lounge to just admire them no, but if you ride it YES!

Aug 15, 2014
Exiled in Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Pilote 600L
Exp
Since 2006
My god, what a tragedy, reminds me of a gobshite brother in law that I have. They have bought a Carthago after not wanting advice, been a know-all all his life. Tried to explain that a 4-5 seater was no good as they want to travel with six people, two adults and four children, he was only interested in telling me that it was costing Ā£136,000, my Ā£60,000 Pilote wasn't worth stepping foot in.
So he checked up on the legality of seat belts and came back to me saying that it was okay so long as the driver was prepared to accept the consequences should there be an accident.
Complete dickhead. (y)

Apr 24, 2018
France
Funster No
MH
2001 Hymer B544
Exp
Since 1992
My god, what a tragedy, reminds me of a gobshite brother in law that I have. They have bought a Carthago after not wanting advice, been a know-all all his life. Tried to explain that a 4-5 seater was no good as they want to travel with six people, two adults and four children, he was only interested in telling me that it was costing Ā£136,000, my Ā£60,000 Pilote wasn't worth stepping foot in.
So he checked up on the legality of seat belts and came back to me saying that it was okay so long as the driver was prepared to accept the consequences should there be an accident.
Complete dickhead. (y)
I take it that he isnā€™t a member on here then..

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back