Avtex pro questions

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Hymer B534 DL (2017)
Exp
Well travelled
Tried to tune the tv in on my Hymer, it has the bee sting aerial and sat seeker system.
The tv has satellite on it. I've tried that but no idea what I'm doing, but would like to get tv working. I've been through Avtex set up and can't see anything wrong, it just asks me to auto tune which comes up totally blank, nothing.

I've taken a couple of pictures as I've no idea if the cables connected to it are all where they should be, same with black box in locker above.

20241021_110931.jpg

20241021_110949.jpg

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Guessing here but if the Avtex has a sat tuner built in should it be connected directly to the dish?

Alternatively, if it's connected to an external sat receiver / tuner should this be connected via HDMI and be used as a "monitor"?

In simple terms.

EDIT: if connecting by the first method you would retune the Avtex as you've been trying but if second method you would set Avtex to HDMI input.
1729507246618.png

Last edited:

Kannon Fodda

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Autotrail V-line 540
Exp
I Make Schoolboy Errors!
Terrestrial TV is usually push fit coaxial aerial lead into the appropriate socket on TV. Satellite is usually screw thread.

For Avtex sat decider to work it needs lead into the Sat screwed socket from a satellite dish. Terrestrial needs coax into the push fit.

If your van system has an amplifier on the bee sting aerial make sure it is powered.

Make sure you have set correct source on the TV menu before trying the tuning.

OP
OP
BusyBuilder
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Hymer B534 DL (2017)
Exp
Well travelled
Thanks the coax is the middle black cable, power is bottom cable, satellite is top white cable. Can't see a switch for tv coax anywhere though there is a red switch on black box for satellite system.

Kannon Fodda

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Autotrail V-line 540
Exp
I Make Schoolboy Errors!
Of the cables connected in your photo you only have the satellite socket connected. You do not have anything connected to the terrestrial socket.

Dunno what the small black wire in the centre is, but suspect it is connected to a phono (audio) output.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Thanks the coax is the middle black cable, power is bottom cable, satellite is top white cable. Can't see a switch for tv coax anywhere though there is a red switch on black box for satellite system.
Is the black box just a power unit or is it a tuner with a remote control?

If it's just a power unit the red switch on the top will be to turn the power supply on and off. Is there a power supply to the black box and, if so, is the red switch on?

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Looking at your two photos can you advise / confirm this -
  • the 4th cable from the left (white) into the box is the other end of the top cable into the TV?
  • the 3rd cable from the left (black) into the box is the end of the cable going to the aerial?
  • the 2nd cable from the left (purple) is an Ethernet cable for ???
  • the 1st cable from the left (black) is that the other end of the middle cable into the TV or is it the power cable for the black box?
A photo of the connections on the box (similar to the TV photo) might be useful.

Kannon Fodda

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Autotrail V-line 540
Exp
I Make Schoolboy Errors!
I think you have to trace and test one thing at a time. So start with satellite or terrestrial.

The black box may be confusing things. With only three coaxial cables - two in one out? - the black box may be creating issues if it is trying to combine the satellite and terrestrial separate inputs into one output but the Avtex needs them separate to be fed into the correct tv socket. The black box power should be on via the red switch as the box may act as a form of amplifier.

On your TV, in the photo provided, you have the satellite input socket connected. So if other wiring is correct you should get a satellite signal if you set the TV to satellite and allow it to find a current thing in space. But does your TV have current software as many satellites have been changed, switched off, or whatever. Look on the Avtex site for all current firmware for your TV, and any satellite tuning files too. You'll need the model / serial number for the TV and a spare USB stick to download the file to from a computer.

If you want terrestrial TV something from the aerial needs to be connected to the co-axial input socket on the TV, third socket down from the top, one under the existing white lead.

As above, I have no idea what the black thin lead is you have into the TV in the middle socket that on my TV is a red phono (audio) input.

OP
OP
BusyBuilder
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Hymer B534 DL (2017)
Exp
Well travelled
Thanks for the help, I switched the thin co ax cable on the back of the tv up 1 space as suggested, the tv then tuned itself and I have multiple channels. The thin coax is from the beesting aerial on the roof. So I have a working tv.
The ethernet is from black box to satellite display box (see photo). I hadn't switched the red switch to 'on'.
So just need to figure out how to use the satellite system now.

20241021_154212.jpg

172952208007072925246210102169.jpg

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Chausson 640 welcome
Exp
Since October 2019
Also if it hasn’t been used for a while worth while downloading the channel list from avtex and also check that you sat dish doesn’t need a reprogram / reload like our max view did. In our case both done with a laptop and a usb key

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Back