Avtex AMR985 alternative router (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Mar 7, 2012
UK
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Warwick
Exp
end of 2011
We have just bought a 2016 Autosleeper Warwick XL. The previous owner has remover the Avtex AMR985 modem but left the aerial etc. I can't appear to be able to buy just the modem any suggestions to an alternative unit which will plug into the aerials and preferably into the holder which was also left.

Sep 28, 2015
Kingston upon Hull, East Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
2001 Caravans 2011 Motorhomes
It’s a Teltonika RUT950 router, though I think the RUT240 may suit too. How many aerial leads are there and are they marked with either LTE or WiFi.
I’ll be selling my RUT950 shortly as I’m upgrading to a RUTX11.
This is mine:

IMG_2052.jpeg

Last edited:
Upvote 0
May 16, 2023
Funster No
MH
Bailey Alliance 66-2
I'd personally upgrade it, the RUT950/avtex antenna only support a single 150Mbit max channel. The issue is mobile technology has moved on and you now have downlink "only" frequencies, which can ONLY be used with a cat6 (2 aerials) or higher device -> these frequencies are also reasonably widely deployed now so work in most places. WOuld suggest whatever you get get a 5g capable roof antenna from Poynting (cheapest, likely best for money), Motohomewifi (or similar) to replace the single antenna Avtex. All of the UK mobile networks now have usually mutltiple frequencies on each tower, and effectivily with a cat4 device you are limited to only one... where a cat6/12/18 or higher will bond all 3,4 or even more frequencies togther to give a faster device. This is important as the strongest signal is often the one with the worst throughput (usually band 20) and as such you get terrible performance (especially on Three who have the least band 20 frequency range avialble, but it is strong still!)>

Effectively use the antenna you have and you may be disapointed, you may want to reuse the hole.

The main reason for this is the single 150Mbit channel these also will often be congested at many rural areas (as well as being the one with worst peak throughput). Lots of people seem to think wifi in motorhomes via 3g is awful, but I've yet to not be able to stream tv on a cat12 device with a dueal antenna setup.

As to what to get, many in here use antenna or no antenna, but usually with a Huawei, ZTE or similar device in the motorhome. MU5001 is the likely cheapest ZTE device that also does 5g (about 200-300 depending on week), there is a thread (if you search) with some cat12 devices in it that are cheaper (about 50 quid).

Bear in mind it's a minefield out there you could end up buying another cat4 device for more than a cat12/18 one.
RUTX11 is a decent same sized replacement for the RUT950 but warning, it will need another antenna to work effectively.

Personally I'm using a ZTE MF986D which is a cat12, 4g device, able to bond 3 frequencies at one, which requires 2 antenna cables (effectively one to transmit (and receive when not transmitting) and one to receive at all times). These are £140 ish now, but are very small in a motorhome cupboard (and does requires a 12v to usb adapter to connect them to).

Upvote 0
May 16, 2023
Funster No
MH
Bailey Alliance 66-2
Why wound he need a new antenna, that system uses a 2x2 LTE 5G Panorama Great White doesn’t it. Unless he’s upgrading his router to something with more leads.
Some of the Avtex installs I've seen are single feed to tthe 950. If it's a dual feed it'll work fine, you can run even a cat18 on two leads.

Remember a RUT950 as would hav ebeen there before is cat4, so single antenna feed.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
May 16, 2023
Funster No
MH
Bailey Alliance 66-2
The RUT950 has x2 mobile + x2 WiFi
Ah I can see it does, but it still is cat4, so is only using a single frequency with them - (and only technically needs a single connection.

I've been in vans and the varient Axtec used to use with a puck with a single feed and the rut950 works fine on that. It does not need the second connection to function as well (it just splits tx and rx onto the seperate cables if availble).

Key question is does he/she have 2 pigtails or one -> if 2, it's just a router he needs. And I would not reccomend a 950 as a replacement given the vosts now, and you can get a better router for less, that'll give higher throughput. (prices online for a RUT950 are 200 ish quid, and thats near price of a 5g router like ZTE MU5001 that could plug straight into the roof antenna if he has 2 pigtails), effectively max of 1.5gbit throughput instead of 150mbit.

Upvote 0
Jan 25, 2024
North Norfolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach 745
Exp
since 2012
My Avtex installation has an external antenna with two leads, supposedly 5g upgradable and two Wi-Fi antennas on the router.

I’m expecting to be able to use my external antenna with a new 5g router, or am I missing something?

Solwise seem to be the experts?

Tony.

Upvote 0
May 16, 2023
Funster No
MH
Bailey Alliance 66-2
My Avtex installation has an external antenna with two leads, supposedly 5g upgradable and two Wi-Fi antennas on the router.

I’m expecting to be able to use my external antenna with a new 5g router, or am I missing something?

Solwise seem to be the experts?

Tony.

Jabstatt the recent ones (with 2 antenna cables) are 3/4/5g compatiable you fine, you just swap onto an new router, and power it.

Should clarifiy they pretty good at 3/4/5g too, gain on the 5g freuqncies is a frankly mad 10dbi. I was referring to the older puck avtex which is over 5 year old now prior to 5g rollout! Theres not a huge difference between Poynting, MotohomeWifi or Avtex antenna in gain stats, the key bit is you need 2 wires from roof to bring the 4/5g in.

Worth always noting whatever you replace it with don't forget to tell it to use the extennal antenna ports, this isn't defualt on ZTE at least, and if you forget you'll be getting zero benefit from the roof antenna.

Upvote 0
May 16, 2023
Funster No
MH
Bailey Alliance 66-2
Also worth noting if you do fancy a 5g upgrade, the ZTE MU5001 (which is a very common 5g device) unlocked, can be had on ebay for well under half the price of "new" at present (on buy it now, non auctions).. or could this afternoon.

I imagine if you look there will be some Huawei devices similarly cheap. Which is why I'm reccomending to original poster not to stick with replacing like for like, ie, a cat4 device with another, you may as well swap in a "very good" replacement cat12 or higher 4g or 5g router now.

Upvote 0
May 16, 2023
Funster No
MH
Bailey Alliance 66-2
Thank you!

So what do I buy right now?
I’m not too bothered about dual sim, if that opens choices.

Thanks

Tony
I don't worry about dual sim either, MU5001 is what I'm upgrading to once I have found a camp site needing it! ( only site which HAD 5g signal we've been to was St Neots,and we had > 100Mbit on 4g there!). I have a cat12 ZTE MF986D right now which I can reccomend, but given the ebay prices of the ZTE MU5001 at moment, thats about 30 quid more than the 986D so I'd get the MU5001 if needing a device this week.

If you want a cheap cheerful replacement, and can wire a power supply into a van, the non battery MF286 ZTE, is a cat12 device thats so common you can get unlocked versions on ebay for 50 quid. It will require some fettering, ie, a regulated (I think it is) 12V or 5V converter attaching (can't remember which) - (its not complex it's literally soldering some wires together and wiring to back of router).. I've not looked into it myself but another thread a few people commented they run them in their vans. Should point out the ZTE 286 model is not 5g, but is a hellova upgrade on a cat4 device.

Should add be sure whatever you buy to get an UNLOCKED varient so you can use multiple sims from mutliple networks.

If you buying "new" the price for the MU5001 is about 300 quid, and thats a lot given the ebay price.

Upvote 0
Jan 25, 2024
North Norfolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach 745
Exp
since 2012
Thanks!

I’ll look around.

No problem with 12/5/14.8. Almost everything in the van runs off 12v so power supplies all over including buck boost to run LG tv off dc!

Thanks again
Tony

Upvote 0

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
I don't worry about dual sim either, MU5001 is what I'm upgrading to once I have found a camp site needing it! ( only site which HAD 5g signal we've been to was St Neots,and we had > 100Mbit on 4g there!). I have a cat12 ZTE MF986D right now which I can reccomend, but given the ebay prices of the ZTE MU5001 at moment, thats about 30 quid more than the 986D so I'd get the MU5001 if needing a device this week.

If you want a cheap cheerful replacement, and can wire a power supply into a van, the non battery MF286 ZTE, is a cat12 device thats so common you can get unlocked versions on ebay for 50 quid. It will require some fettering, ie, a regulated (I think it is) 12V or 5V converter attaching (can't remember which) - (its not complex it's literally soldering some wires together and wiring to back of router).. I've not looked into it myself but another thread a few people commented they run them in their vans. Should point out the ZTE 286 model is not 5g, but is a hellova upgrade on a cat4 device.

Should add be sure whatever you buy to get an UNLOCKED varient so you can use multiple sims from mutliple networks.

If you buying "new" the price for the MU5001 is about 300 quid, and thats a lot given the ebay price.
Maybe I'm being stoopit (yip, right in a oner!) but the advert from Eternal Comms on ebay seems to say the ZTE MU5001 is only CAT4 or have I got that wrong (yes, probably!)?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
T
Mar 7, 2012
UK
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Warwick
Exp
end of 2011
Thanks for all the advice I do have two tails comng down from the external aerial so I will be looking at some of the suggestion here.

Upvote 0
May 16, 2023
Funster No
MH
Bailey Alliance 66-2
Maybe I'm being stoopit (yip, right in a oner!) but the advert from Eternal Comms on ebay seems to say the ZTE MU5001 is only CAT4 or have I got that wrong (yes, probably!)?

ZTE 5001 is cat20 on 4g so better even on 4g than the older cat12 devices I mentioned above. ( and it does 5g too). EBay ads are notorious for missing spectifixations - I usually look for model number and that’s it and look up spec elsewhere.

It’s worth noting you can get 4x4 mimo ie needed 4 antennas correct for 5g these days however given how fast 5g is and the range extension a roof antenna gives 2 antenna ports will likely suffice for rural motorhoming for a good while.

Upvote 0
Sep 28, 2015
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
We have just bought a 2016 Autosleeper Warwick XL. The previous owner has remover the Avtex AMR985 modem but left the aerial etc. I can't appear to be able to buy just the modem any suggestions to an alternative unit which will plug into the aerials and preferably into the holder which was also left.
My RUT950 is now in the classifieds, a cheap way to get you up and running.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
T
Mar 7, 2012
UK
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Warwick
Exp
end of 2011
Thanks Hette's Crew for putting your RUT950 in the classifieds but we are now away for 5 weeks so can't buy anything till we get back. I am also not sure how to purchase things through the classifieds as there is no links. I assume I contact you direct.

Upvote 0

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Thanks Hette's Crew for putting your RUT950 in the classifieds but we are now away for 5 weeks so can't buy anything till we get back. I am also not sure how to purchase things through the classifieds as there is no links. I assume I contact you direct.
Normally, it's start a pm and the seller and you agree a method of payment privately.

Upvote 0
Nov 1, 2021
Lanarkshire, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Burstner IXEO Time
Exp
Complete newbie
Hi Everyone. I'm completely new to motorhome WiFi and have read all the posts in this thread with interest. I spend quite a bit of time in France visiting my kids and I'm looking for suggestions for a suitable system - router and aerial. We don't normally watch a lot of TV while in France but would like the capability of watching Netflix, amazon prime etc once in a while. Also and more importantly to have access to WiFi for phones, tablet laptop etc. I would really appreciate suggestions for a suitable, modern system which would cover my needs. Don't know if its relevant but I'm in a Burstner IXEO Time 590 MoHo and it has TV Aerial fitted as possible roof access post if required.

Many thanks

Upvote 0
May 16, 2023
Funster No
MH
Bailey Alliance 66-2
Hi Everyone. I'm completely new to motorhome WiFi and have read all the posts in this thread with interest. I spend quite a bit of time in France visiting my kids and I'm looking for suggestions for a suitable system - router and aerial. We don't normally watch a lot of TV while in France but would like the capability of watching Netflix, amazon prime etc once in a while. Also and more importantly to have access to WiFi for phones, tablet laptop etc. I would really appreciate suggestions for a suitable, modern system which would cover my needs. Don't know if its relevant but I'm in a Burstner IXEO Time 590 MoHo and it has TV Aerial fitted as possible roof access post if required.

Many thanks
You'll need an additional hole made for any of the antennas really (I initially asked mine to be near the TV, but it's about 1m back to avoid interference). Bear in mind some mobile signal is very close to TV frequencies in all countries on some bands (as they are literally frequencies released by the TV companies vacating them), so the interference is otehr way around, your wifi breaking tv reception so you are well advised to keep the cables seperated. I didn't feel confident doing that myself on a nearly new motorhome so had Vanbitz do mine when in for some other work. They charged a small amount on top of the RRP of the kit ... (and you ge motorhomefun discount on it!). Our aerial is in locker 1 alone left side of van, our wifi antenna in locker 2).

For a installed by maintainer system, motohome wifis 5g ready, but 4g modem model represents likely best for current UK campsites as I've only been to about 2% with 5g today. It is expensive for what it is, about £100-150 more for the parts than you buying yourself. If you want 5g then you probably best, and cheaper to do it yourself.

When (not if) we upgrade to 5g now I have the 5g ready antenna I'll do that myself by just swapping the router. This thread has above some of the suggestions on that.

The van type doesn't matter really, just needs a locker to install in with roof access that a 12V supply can be wired from the 12v distrubution panel from.

Upvote 0
May 16, 2023
Funster No
MH
Bailey Alliance 66-2
Oh and what ever you do weemalkie be sure to not buy a cat4 system as offered by many (the LTE/4g category drives the max performance possible). Min of cat12 these days is what you want or it'll be slower than a phone in high signal areas. If you can get a cat18/20 system it would reflect best avaialble 4g at present, though please note my notes above, that many 5g chips actually lose some 4g performance, so until 5g is literally everywhere you may be best like we have to buy a 5g ready antenna and a 4g modem given the fact only 2% ish of campsites we've found even have 5g... (but we do mainly visit rural suffolk, linconshire, norfolk and essex).

Upvote 0
Nov 1, 2021
Lanarkshire, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Burstner IXEO Time
Exp
Complete newbie
Oh and what ever you do weemalkie be sure to not buy a cat4 system as offered by many (the LTE/4g category drives the max performance possible). Min of cat12 these days is what you want or it'll be slower than a phone in high signal areas. If you can get a cat18/20 system it would reflect best avaialble 4g at present, though please note my notes above, that many 5g chips actually lose some 4g performance, so until 5g is literally everywhere you may be best like we have to buy a 5g ready antenna and a 4g modem given the fact only 2% ish of campsites we've found even have 5g... (but we do mainly visit rural suffolk, linconshire, norfolk and essex).
Many thanks for your input and information. I'm not terribly technically savvy but don't mind doing the installation. Ive looked around and tending towards a Poynting MIMO-3-V2-15 aerial combined with a RUTX11 LTE Cat6 router. Would this be a sensible combination as a starting point? I take note of the requirement to separate TV and WiFi cables which should be possible within the cupboards I have available. Presume there should be some method of shielding the cables if required? Would greatly appreciate your comments.

Upvote 0
Sep 28, 2015
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
Many thanks for your input and information. I'm not terribly technically savvy but don't mind doing the installation. Ive looked around and tending towards a Poynting MIMO-3-V2-15 aerial combined with a RUTX11 LTE Cat6 router. Would this be a sensible combination as a starting point? I take note of the requirement to separate TV and WiFi cables which should be possible within the cupboards I have available. Presume there should be some method of shielding the cables if required? Would greatly appreciate your comments.
Don’t forget it doesn’t have to be in the same cupboard where the TV aerial is. I put mine in there, with the antenna in the next space along, above the fridge and it’s turned out fine but it could go in any of the cupboards that may result in a better roof mount position. You just need access to a 12v supply.
Very good choice of router and antenna I’d say, though I went with the Panorama antenna from Co Star.

IMG_2068.jpeg

IMG_0939.jpeg

Upvote 0
May 16, 2023
Funster No
MH
Bailey Alliance 66-2
You need a seperate hole as mentioned, and the RUTX11 is a okay choice (I'd personally reccomend you look at RUTX50 since new they are cat20 for about £50 more from wholesalers at moment (and cover 5g too), and the X11 is "cat6" and cat6 is okay, but still not really high end , just make sure it's at least 1m away from the TV antenna (and this is even more important if you have a omni directional TV antenna instead of one you aim). RUTX50 was £360 and X11 is £300 from one UK wholesaler I checked..., so £60 for around 5-6x the peak speed may be worth it and more futureproof). I've not personally used these, but on the specsheet I would be happy to say both beat a cat4 device .. just the cat6 X11 is only 2 times quicker than cat4 (in ideal circumstances) where the X50 could be many times faster as it supports the higher level encoding style allowing "more" data per timeslot in effect if the tower is also > cat 12, most are these days. In context cat6 max downlink performance is 300Mbit, cat 20 is over 1Gbit. I have speedtests of > 1G on cat20 in a UK city (Hull on Three), but not in my van as thats only cat12 ! Remember you never achieve the peak theoritical rate in reality, as it depends how busy a cell is, but the higher the category the higher the real work speeds.

As said the reasons are interference as TV uses (in brief) 500-700mhz region. Three and I think Vodafones band 28 is 700-800, then all the providers pretty much have band 20 at 800-900. Doesn't take a genius to understand thats rather close in radio terms, and band 28 is released old TV analogue channels in summary.

If you know anything about radio, it's when you transmit it tends to bleed a bit, so you will interrupt your tv viewing if it's any nearer than 1metre and the antenna decides to use thse bands. Theres near 0 interfernce risk on band 3, 1, or any 5g band, as these are too high frequency to be near any interference. The issue is rurally again, the most likely bands you will use if on Three, Voda or EE, is likely right next to the TV band. Voda or O2 sims obviously use 900mhz too (old 2g band) for 4g now, which also does tend to interfere with other devices if you remember the old 2g pulses heard on a tv near a phone back in day. So in effect if you use in UK if the antenna is nearer than a metre, you risk interference. You won't get interference IN the van unless you use a devices internal antenna in effect as the coax will take the signal to outside without bleed.

If I didn't have a solar panel above the other side of van we would have placed it on opposite side of van to the TV stuff as an idea of what we didn't do...

The cables on the antenna are usually (I've not seen Poyntings packaging) all routed down the single drilled hole which is in itself shielded, so theres no risk of interference INSIDE the van really as long, as the tube the coax cables come down from antenna act as a semi faraday cage to prevent the actual signal causing issues pre arrival at the RUT device (it's inside coax in effect, which shields it). The issue is when you transmit, obviously if you are too near the TV side it may pick it up. If you have a choice on where the antenna goes basically place it in a different cupboard to TV... as said you just need a 12V feed. Either run one yourself and hide behind the trunking in the van (usually above most cupboards in most mohos), or use exisitng.

If I was doing a "budget" install I'd use a Poynting antenna and one of the ZTE286's mentioned earlier, as they are CAT12 and about £40 for a router (second hand, but loads of unlocked ones on the market), but do require you to make a dc-dc supply at 12v for them as I believe it needs a regulated supply -> that said, you can get the bits to do that for another £10 from various online places (it's literally just a 12v buck converter regulator to stablise the 12V). The downside is the install is a lot larger and messier in the locker as the 286 isn't as small as a RUT device (and the RUT doesn't need a regulated supply either).

Upvote 0
Nov 1, 2021
Lanarkshire, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Burstner IXEO Time
Exp
Complete newbie
You need a seperate hole as mentioned, and the RUTX11 is a okay choice (I'd personally reccomend you look at RUTX50 since new they are cat20 for about £50 more from wholesalers at moment (and cover 5g too), and the X11 is "cat6" and cat6 is okay, but still not really high end , just make sure it's at least 1m away from the TV antenna (and this is even more important if you have a omni directional TV antenna instead of one you aim). RUTX50 was £360 and X11 is £300 from one UK wholesaler I checked..., so £60 for around 5-6x the peak speed may be worth it and more futureproof). I've not personally used these, but on the specsheet I would be happy to say both beat a cat4 device .. just the cat6 X11 is only 2 times quicker than cat4 (in ideal circumstances) where the X50 could be many times faster as it supports the higher level encoding style allowing "more" data per timeslot in effect if the tower is also > cat 12, most are these days. In context cat6 max downlink performance is 300Mbit, cat 20 is over 1Gbit. I have speedtests of > 1G on cat20 in a UK city (Hull on Three), but not in my van as thats only cat12 ! Remember you never achieve the peak theoritical rate in reality, as it depends how busy a cell is, but the higher the category the higher the real work speeds.

As said the reasons are interference as TV uses (in brief) 500-700mhz region. Three and I think Vodafones band 28 is 700-800, then all the providers pretty much have band 20 at 800-900. Doesn't take a genius to understand thats rather close in radio terms, and band 28 is released old TV analogue channels in summary.

If you know anything about radio, it's when you transmit it tends to bleed a bit, so you will interrupt your tv viewing if it's any nearer than 1metre and the antenna decides to use thse bands. Theres near 0 interfernce risk on band 3, 1, or any 5g band, as these are too high frequency to be near any interference. The issue is rurally again, the most likely bands you will use if on Three, Voda or EE, is likely right next to the TV band. Voda or O2 sims obviously use 900mhz too (old 2g band) for 4g now, which also does tend to interfere with other devices if you remember the old 2g pulses heard on a tv near a phone back in day. So in effect if you use in UK if the antenna is nearer than a metre, you risk interference. You won't get interference IN the van unless you use a devices internal antenna in effect as the coax will take the signal to outside without bleed.

If I didn't have a solar panel above the other side of van we would have placed it on opposite side of van to the TV stuff as an idea of what we didn't do...

The cables on the antenna are usually (I've not seen Poyntings packaging) all routed down the single drilled hole which is in itself shielded, so theres no risk of interference INSIDE the van really as long, as the tube the coax cables come down from antenna act as a semi faraday cage to prevent the actual signal causing issues pre arrival at the RUT device (it's inside coax in effect, which shields it). The issue is when you transmit, obviously if you are too near the TV side it may pick it up. If you have a choice on where the antenna goes basically place it in a different cupboard to TV... as said you just need a 12V feed. Either run one yourself and hide behind the trunking in the van (usually above most cupboards in most mohos), or use exisitng.

If I was doing a "budget" install I'd use a Poynting antenna and one of the ZTE286's mentioned earlier, as they are CAT12 and about £40 for a router (second hand, but loads of unlocked ones on the market), but do require you to make a dc-dc supply at 12v for them as I believe it needs a regulated supply -> that said, you can get the bits to do that for another £10 from various online places (it's literally just a 12v buck converter regulator to stablise the 12V). The downside is the install is a lot larger and messier in the locker as the 286 isn't as small as a RUT device (and the RUT doesn't need a regulated supply either).

Upvote 0
May 16, 2023
Funster No
MH
Bailey Alliance 66-2
Max speed by category
Cat 4 - 150Mbit
Cat 6 - 300Mbit
cat 12 - 600Mbit
Cat 18 1.2 Gbit
Cat 20 > 1.6 Gbit

Upvote 0

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
We're still humming and hawing over a replacement for our Huawei 5577cs and have been looking at the ZTE286, however just to clarify it's the 286D and not 286R that's CAT12 - they don't make it easy do they, but we might throw the ZTE MU5001 into the mix.

We're probably leaning towards the MU5001 as it's a direct (powering format) as the 5577cs so no faffing about with regulated 12v supply, etc.

The questions for us are is the MU5001 worth the extra money and does it perform, at least, as well as the 286D on current 4g network?

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back