Auto locking on a Fiat Ducato (1 Viewer)

Mar 31, 2022
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Kon Tiki 784
Exp
Been caravanning for years but now ordered my first motorhome
Hi all, anyone know how to disarm the auto locking on a 2022 Kon Tiki doors almost locked my keys in mine several times

May 1, 2015
Caerphilly
Funster No
MH
Rapido C86 Auto
Exp
Since 2014
Have asked the same question for our 2022 Rapido but been told , by dealer, that it cannot be disarmed. Pilote also seem to have the same problem.

May 1, 2015
Caerphilly
Funster No
MH
Rapido C86 Auto
Exp
Since 2014
Do you know which alarm you have installed on your van?
If it is an Autowatch, then I can probably help you.
It's not an alarm problem.
On some Ducatos , mine has keyless entry, the doors will automatically re lock if a cab door is not opened within 1 minute of unlocking. Unfortunately opening the hab door doesn't register with the Ducato electronics and the doors relock automatically.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
On some Ducatos , mine has keyless entry, the doors will automatically re lock if a cab door is not opened within 1 minute of unlocking. Unfortunately opening the hab door doesn't register with the Ducato electronics and the doors relock automatically.

Maybe not on yours, but those vans fitted with the Autowatch 695RLC alarm have the auto relocking set as default.

OP
OP
Suzukikettle
Mar 31, 2022
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Kon Tiki 784
Exp
Do you know which alarm you have installed on your van?
If it is an Autowatch, then I can probably help you.
No mate been told by Swift its a Fiat problem not an alarm problem and apparently Fail will not disclose how to disarm it so hoping that someone on this site has found a way around it

May 14, 2021
East Yorkshire, UK
Funster No
MH
ADRIA Twin 640SLB
Exp
Since 2012
Mine is not keyless, thankfully, but the new 22 key fob means that I regularly accidentally catch the alarm arm/lock button and keep setting the alarm off.

As a result I now keep the key in a small faraday pouch in my pocket so this does not happen, and you would never be locked out with the keys inside.

Mine is a PVC I appreciate but my swift C class hab door was connected to the dash control buttons too as well as the central locking. If your Kontiki nab door is connected to the central locking that that must have been a Swift thing, not Fiat, and they should have an answer to integrating it properly.

But from what you describe it sounds like it auto locks ALL the time unless you open a cab door. This does not sound a correct design process for a commercial van so there should be a way around it you would have thought by Fiat.

My Skoda auto locks but it won’t if the key is left inside.

Sep 25, 2009
south yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2004. Tugger 10 years on and off
Are you sure you can lock yourself out of the van.I have a 2009 ford focus with keyless entry etc.If i leave the keys inside it wont lock.

Jan 11, 2022
Funster No
MH
Pilote P732 2011
Exp
3rd Time around, since 2000
Suzukikettle does the remote open the hab door?
My thought is the trigger for the remote to know the cab door has opened, the interior light putting a drain on battery?
try unlock then operate the step if fitted or get someone to sit in cab you lock then unlock but then operate the cab interior light but do not open cab door and see if it auto locks

jb

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Each of the doors that register on the dash display have a signal wire from the actual door/latch

If it were mine I’d swap the pins over in the cam latched plug on the main board.

This would mean that on the dash display opening the hab door would display the drivers door, and vice a versa.

The issue would be less annoying then as the hab door would be used more often.

At that point I am sure that a couple of diodes would resolve the issue, allowing any OE door opening to cancel the auto re-lock without any side effects to the central locking / dash display.

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
Each of the doors that register on the dash display have a signal wire from the actual door/latch

If it were mine I’d swap the pins over in the cam latched plug on the main board.

This would mean that on the dash display opening the hab door would display the drivers door, and vice a versa.

At that point I am sure that a couple of diodes would resolve the issue, allowing any OE door opening to cancel the auto re-lock without any side effects to the central locking / dash display.
Sounds like a solution for your product development department 😉 is there a release date for the new feature 😎just asking for a friend as my Ducato does not auto lock

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
This must be a new feature for Ducatos. Mine only auto locks at above 15 mph, when stepping outside is a bad idea.

[My T4 had auto locking and after getting caught I made it a rule never to go out without taking the key.]

Aug 19, 2013
Wells, Somerset
Funster No
MH
Elddis 115
Exp
since 2004
It's not just Ducatos, my new van is 2020 Boxer based, and have just recently locked myself out. Had to unlock the cab door and climb in, front seats were locked together and turned so it was tight. I couldn't work out how it happened, but have subsequently recently realised that you have to open the cab door to stop it relocking. Haven't quite understood what Eddie said, but I've got the gist. It is an Autowatch system so it sounds like it needs a mod.

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989

1666951050502.jpeg

FYI:-

So this is one of two blocks inside each Cam lock plug. They slide out and the wires can be removed using a terminal extractor. The blocks are all individually numbered, and can be removed and replaced in case of damage to wiring, so easily "swappable" as until the "Brain" gets a conventional open circuit closing to negative its not CAN buss issue.

So if you have a PVC for example, it would have five inputs, bonnet, two cab doors, a read barn door and a "Woosh BANG" side door.

The ECU doesn't know what they are called, it just knows that on say terminal pin 16 (Not the number) if the N/O closes to Negative it displays an programmed icon on the dash display, and in turn we recognise that icon as a picture of a bonnet.

In the same way, if it doesn't see a change in state on terminal pin 72 (Again not the number) and a signal has been received to unlock the doors, it starts a count down, looking at terminal pin 72 and relocks the vehicle, it really doesn't "know" that it is the drivers cab door.

So, swap the terminal pin to the hab door to make life a little easier.

What we forget is that no one manufactures a motorhome in Europe, even the big names convert delivery vans which is the intended market when they are designed. So auto re-lock for a single driver in and out of his van makes a lot of sense.

I have been told that Fiat can't be bothered with the motorhome market anymore concentrating on making delivery vans for Amazon!

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
It's not just Ducatos, my new van is 2020 Boxer based, and have just recently locked myself out. Had to unlock the cab door and climb in, front seats were locked together and turned so it was tight. I couldn't work out how it happened, but have subsequently recently realised that you have to open the cab door to stop it relocking. Haven't quite understood what Eddie said, but I've got the gist. It is an Autowatch system so it sounds like it needs a mod.
If it is alarm based, it is because the alarm is designed for a car.

In a car when the alarm is turned off, it is nearly always the driver that has done it and the driver will open the drivers door.

If the driver has accidentally disarmed his/her car alarm walking away whilst pocketing or hang bagging the car keys, it would leave the car vulnerable, so the system re-arms if the drivers door isn't opened within the allotted time.

Great in a car useless and inconvenient on a motorhome! Yes it can be programmed out, but proves the argument that its a "Jack of all trades alarm" not something for a specific job!

Jan 1, 2017
eastbourne
Funster No
MH
van conversion, Peug
Exp
4 years
May be its just me but got to be one of the most stupid things ever fitted a a vehicle
2 1/2 hr wait for an ambulance for MIL 93 yrs broken leg.
Auto lock locked their keys in the van outside my house so another 30 mins waiting for a ‘drive by’ click to open locks from a supervisor… 🤨

Aug 19, 2013
Wells, Somerset
Funster No
MH
Elddis 115
Exp
since 2004
If it is alarm based, it is because the alarm is designed for a car.

In a car when the alarm is turned off, it is nearly always the driver that has done it and the driver will open the drivers door.

If the driver has accidentally disarmed his/her car alarm walking away whilst pocketing or hang bagging the car keys, it would leave the car vulnerable, so the system re-arms if the drivers door isn't opened within the allotted time.

Great in a car useless and inconvenient on a motorhome! Yes it can be programmed out, but proves the argument that its a "Jack of all trades alarm" not something for a specific job!
It was installed by one of your local competitors from just up the road near Weston, for the van's previous owner. I would have come to you, of course!!

OP
OP
Suzukikettle
Mar 31, 2022
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Kon Tiki 784
Exp
Mine is not keyless, thankfully, but the new 22 key fob means that I regularly accidentally catch the alarm arm/lock button and keep setting the alarm off.

As a result I now keep the key in a small faraday pouch in my pocket so this does not happen, and you would never be locked out with the keys inside.

Mine is a PVC I appreciate but my swift C class hab door was connected to the dash control buttons too as well as the central locking. If your Kontiki nab door is connected to the central locking that that must have been a Swift thing, not Fiat, and they should have an answer to integrating it properly.

But from what you describe it sounds like it auto locks ALL the time unless you open a cab door. This does not sound a correct design process for a commercial van so there should be a way around it you would have thought by Fiat.

My Skoda auto locks but it won’t if the key is left inside.
My Range Rover is the same it has keyless go the doors will not lock if the keys are inside the car

Oct 18, 2021
Mid Devon
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact SC
Exp
Camping since 1954, MoHo 2022
My VW Amaroks came with this annoying auto lock feature enabled. After casting around in the vehicle ‘Comfort’ settings with the Ross-Tech VCDS, I disabled it with a single entry - did a number of other’s vehicles as well.

Is there anything similar accessible with multiecuscan or other tools?

Sep 29, 2009
norwich
Funster No
MH
swift escape 640
Exp
since 2009
watching with interest 22 Fiat swift i have same autolock problem find it a right pain. fiat italy says wired incorrectly by swift at habitation block so the habitation door position is not recognized when opened. im awaiting/hoping a resolve from dealer/swift that are looking into it

OP
OP
Suzukikettle
Mar 31, 2022
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Kon Tiki 784
Exp
watching with interest 22 Fiat swift i have same autolock problem find it a right pain. fiat italy says wired incorrectly by swift at habitation block so the habitation door position is not recognized when opened. im awaiting/hoping a resolve from dealer/swift that are looking into it
Not according to Swift apparently Fiat will not allow an option to disable this stupid idea

Sep 29, 2009
norwich
Funster No
MH
swift escape 640
Exp
since 2009
I am more looking to understand why swift has not incorporated the central locking on hab door to front door main c/l Previous swift was
im certain at some point a suitable answer will be found.
I also have no current fuel info on dash. Fiat unable to locate. Fault. Hours have been spent still Ongoing
My trauma panel is affected by swift panel causing it to reset frequently awaiting this to be resolved and a list of build problems

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
My transit base does the same autolocking, but the central locking doesn't lock the hab door so no problem. I don't know if it's supposed to or not but I'm happy it doesn't.

Feb 18, 2022
East Kilbride, Glasgow, UK
Funster No
MH
Pilote 696U
Exp
Used to drive a bongo and tow caravans
My pilote locks automatically if I do not open a cab door , unfortunately it’s a bit annoying. At night we have been using the fob to lock the doors cab and hab with central locking. This means inhale to keep the cab door shut and wedged as if it opens the Fiat alarm goes off. I have asked how to stop this and was told by the dealer (Dickson’s)use the button on the dash to lock the doors as this doesn’t set the alarm. I will try this out and post results , as it’s -5 I don’t fancy trying out just now.

Jan 3, 2015
British West Hartlepool
Funster No
MH
Swift Kontiki 884
Exp
Since 2017
My pilote locks automatically if I do not open a cab door , unfortunately it’s a bit annoying. At night we have been using the fob to lock the doors cab and hab with central locking. This means inhale to keep the cab door shut and wedged as if it opens the Fiat alarm goes off. I have asked how to stop this and was told by the dealer (Dickson’s)use the button on the dash to lock the doors as this doesn’t set the alarm. I will try this out and post results , as it’s -5 I don’t fancy trying out just now.
My Phantom alarm has a pet friendly setting to lock the doors, and as you said it doesn't auto lock if you REMEMBER to open a cab door in the first minute. I've mailed my dealer again and said I'm prepared to pay to have this disabled, but I'm not happy with the current set up

Sep 29, 2009
norwich
Funster No
MH
swift escape 640
Exp
since 2009
Save you the -5 trip. Using dash button is possible it does not set alarm With front drop down bed this is not practical answer and part of having alarm is night safety also If you use remote to lock van the dash button is disabled

I have a list of faults and my 2022 escape it is booked to go back to factory for remedial work end of jan. 6 week timescale for repair the locking is included. Will update Around easter!!!!!!!!!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back