Attempted e-bike theft York (36 Viewers)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Jul 10, 2017
Ireland
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp

New from Bosch , it’s an alarm and tracker embedded in the motor , I had it fitted last week , it tells you in real time of any interference with your bike via your smart phone .

I also have the LiteLok X3 , LiteLok Flex and Hiplock Gold chain plus two D locks to secure the front wheels of both bikes.
I also utilise black lockable zip ties in various areas of the bike .
Good point about choosing a suitable anchor point though .

Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
I don’t have one but would it make an electric bike less attractive if you removed the battery ?

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Would you tackle a unknown person who has a grinder in his hand?
Yes. Especially as what applies to them is the same for me. No comebacks.
Ammonia,shatter acl with steel toe caps. Various other bits.
I would if I had a chain saw in mine :ROFLMAO:
I've even got a cordless one of those with me this year:smiley:

Jan 21, 2014
Middle-Of-Nowhere, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Tardis-Too
"
Sometimes you wish you where in the USA eh😇

In Southern Africa, the standard advice/instruction to new licence grantees by the Police is/was to place two shots into the burglar/thief, THEN fire two more shots into the air so they audibly constitute "your warning shots".

Don't bother asking me how I know, as you can probably guess. :LOL:

I suspect that probably wouldn't work in York, though. :whistle2: ..... Although what might well work is to "Talk softly but carry a big & strong metal (walking) stick with a suitably shaped handle" = VERY effective if you can claim to be a "vulnerable old crip in fear of personal harm" like some I know. ;)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

Camdoon

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 22, 2012
UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix Supreme
Exp
Haha, I am in the opposite position, my son moved out palming a bike onto his newly returned from Uni, brother. It has a D lock and a wire chain. I do not know whether to give him it back or grind the locks off.

May 15, 2020
York
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 709
Exp
Learning
As someone who lives in York, I’m only too aware of organised bike theft in the city. Compared to other uk towns and cities cycling is more popular here and we have two universities so plenty of choice for organised gangs.

A couple of secure bike storage facilities in the centre would be a step forwards
I know the transport planner for York council, as part of his role to promote sustainable transport he promotes cycling into York. On several occasions I’ve mentioned that no amount of cycle lanes would promote cycling more than a secure manned lock up Dutch style. I just don’t think they have the budget, or won’t allocate to secure storage.
No point in cycling to work, then have to catch a taxi home!

Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
19 month year 18000 miles UK, Ireland, France, Spain, Germany, Italy. Campsites and off Grid.
Yes. Especially as what applies to them is the same for me. No comebacks.
Ammonia,shatter acl with steel toe caps. Various other bits.

I've even got a cordless one of those with me this year:smiley:

I knew there would be maybe a couple of these type of responses from the macho amongst us (whether they are the same in real life as on the keyboard is another matter) but I would suggest most people wouldn't -after all it's just a bike and if sensible it would be insured, not really worth risking physical injury for.

Don't quite understand your 2nd sentence - you carry that stuff with you every time you go out?

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
After having two bikes stolen in Antibes we’re always weary when leaving them. We always secure them to solid frame (I know these can be cut) we face bikes in opposite directions and put a loop through one of the wheels and frame, in total we have 4 locks on them.

I know this won’t stop thieves but if it’s more of a hindrance than the bikes next to mine then more chance they’ll take them.

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
Just like a MoHo you secure your bike by using a quality lock and insurance. For my e-bike I use a hiplok D1000 which is diamond rated ( would take multiple discs to cut) and when at home it’s connected with a gold rated chain to a Hiplok Ankr and use the D1000 around the rear wheel. The manual bikes are hung using Hiplok Airlock (Gold rated) and gold rated Hiplok chains when out and about. Also have a Hiplok gold rated chain to lock them to my tow bar bike rack which is alarmed. And of course a van bits alarm cable when attached to the MoHo

Think I am one of Hiploks best customers!

Can my bikes be stollen oh yes but just like the MoHo they are going to have to work hard to get them

Given many MoHo owners have bikes maybe Jim could see if a discount code could be available for Funsters who want to buy Hiplok products

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
I cannot justify the expense of the Hiplocks. When out and about, I can rarely find things to lock it to that are also diamond rated.
That's fair enough Jim my e-bike is about £8k and having suffered a break in and multiple vehicle theft including MoHo keys stollen im probably a bit sensitive. But for those who may have leanings to keeping thier bikes safe on the back of thier MoHo a Gold Rated chain and lock would cover insurance requirements was just thinking for those who want or need a high rated security lock it would be great if Fun had a discount code to help offset the expense, not sure what other funsters think?

Oct 4, 2018
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Tourer
Exp
Not so new now
No charge. It was done by an enterprising centre manager during covid. He paid for it by getting grants and funding from council, police and crime commisioner and others.

View attachment 911080
There’s a similar one in Padstow at the end of the Camel trail. Works really well and means you can wander around the town without worrying about the bikes.

Mar 30, 2020
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 728
Exp
Since 1995
After having a lovely lunch at the Cut & Craft restaurant in York we stepped outside to a bit of a dispute in the bike parking area facing the Browns department store.
It transpired that 3 youths had targeted a very nice Riese & Muller e-bike that was locked in the bike parking area using an expensive Abus Gold rated folding lock.
They cut through the lock using a battery operated angle grinder in less than a minute.
Fortunately for the bike owner, 2 members of the public stepped in and the bike was saved and the thieves did a runner.
My wife got a good look at the thieves and whilst giving a statement to the local security they informed us that this is a daily occurrence. It would appear that these are well organised groups with spotters all over the town centre looking for nice bikes to steal!
The bike owner turned up and was reunited with his bike and was amazed how quickly they cut the lock.
We have just returned from a 6 week tour of Spain with our Cube e-bikes and we were amazed to see lots of expensive bikes left unlocked and unattended. Presumably bike theft isn’t as bad in Spain?

We would never leave our bikes out of sight in any major town/city in the UK, even when they are locked. With modern battery power tools, no lock is secure.

Oct 4, 2019
Milford on Sea
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2005
I never ever locked our bike never been nicked.

View attachment 910899
Hardly surprising since most people are only in Barnard Castle for eye tests and the bike is worth about £2 max!!

Sep 3, 2014
Eccles, Norfolk
Funster No
MH
American RV A Class
Exp
Since 2004
I've seen a few of these :-(

View attachment 910896
Good grief, dreadful people! But good to know this is going on. Had nicks bike stolen in Spain, to be fair the lock and lead attaching it to the MH were not as robust as they might have been but we got it back because they were caught in the marshes with a grinder trying to remove the ‘forget about it’ Kryptonite New York lock. The lock was slightly scuffed but they hadn’t managed to get it off the bike and someone reported them. Police returned the bike after some paperwork. All good. We have one of their chains and another padlock to tie to bus when on site and a very cheap bike alarm from Amazon which I can thoroughly recommend! £15 ish scares the bejesus out of anyone who touches it.

Oct 26, 2018
Funster No
MH
Burstner 680g Ixeo
Exp
Ownner for two years
After having a lovely lunch at the Cut & Craft restaurant in York we stepped outside to a bit of a dispute in the bike parking area facing the Browns department store.
It transpired that 3 youths had targeted a very nice Riese & Muller e-bike that was locked in the bike parking area using an expensive Abus Gold rated folding lock.
They cut through the lock using a battery operated angle grinder in less than a minute.
Fortunately for the bike owner, 2 members of the public stepped in and the bike was saved and the thieves did a runner.
My wife got a good look at the thieves and whilst giving a statement to the local security they informed us that this is a daily occurrence. It would appear that these are well organised groups with spotters all over the town centre looking for nice bikes to steal!
The bike owner turned up and was reunited with his bike and was amazed how quickly they cut the lock.
But what happens to stolen bikes?

Jan 16, 2017
Hillingdon
Funster No
MH
Vantage Med
Exp
Since 2017
I’ve fixed a Knog Scout Alarm onto my electric bike in addition to all to all the chains etc
It works as a tracker using Apple I tag technology which is on in the background all the time. It also has a motion detector alarm which can be set and sounds off if anyone slightly moves the bike. Only works with IPhone. Great if you are away from the Moho or not wired to an armed Vanbitz bike loop.

Dec 20, 2013
Kilsyth, Glasgow, UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2013
In my view for the determend or ‘professional’ thief there is nothing that can stop them if they really want your bike. Most security measures will however hopefully deter the casual or opportunist thief.

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
In my view for the determend or ‘professional’ thief there is nothing that can stop them if they really want your bike. Most security measures will however hopefully deter the casual or opportunist thief.
you are right, it has to be a professional armed with multiple cutting discs, click on the picture, but also this work was carried out in 'perfect' conditions if its on a bike the cutting may be more difficult and the bike damaged in the process.

Screenshot 2024-06-19 at 12.28.48.png

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Our local shopping centre have converted an unused shop into a secure cycle storage unit. Enhanced security, and having to go into the 'shop' has deterred the thieves so far.

It also has a repair station and an ebike charge point.

It is almost always 80% or more full.
There are so many empty shops that this might make a business opportunity for someone.

A bit like a secure left luggage facility where a ticket (could be electronic) and a pass word needed to redeem the bike.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back