Are CAMC finally getting the message

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Bailey Alliance 66-2
We motorhome Members are probably no longer the minority and might already be the majority. In December 2023 the outgoing Club Chairman Grenville Chamberlain (caravanner) wrote in the Club magazine that 70% of new Members have either motorhomes or campervans.
I'd also note the replacement chairman is a caravaner.

Even things like their THS seem preddominantly aimed (still) at Caravans though which is what leads me to still believe they still predominantly do things with caravanns in mind. Ref THS given it's 3 to 4 times the price per night the other club offers for THS (which I believe is entirely down to their insitance on EHU everwhere - again UNLIKE CCC) I still do question the value here (and it's notable caravan club has what 1 THS this year, and theres already LOADS on the CCC app all over uk).

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
1995-2004 & 2017》
Never been to a CAMC THS ( think they call them rallys ) as they don't tend to be advertised very well and I believe booking is a prerequisit of attending..
However been to dozens of CCC THS's

Janine

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
2006 A/S Nuevo
Exp
since 1988
Never been to a CAMC THS ( think they call them rallys ) as they don't tend to be advertised very well and I believe booking is a prerequisit of attending..
However been to dozens of CCC THS's
Same here. I thought I would have a look to see where the CAMC rallies are and could not find a link from their website.

In the end, I found the list via Google 🤷‍♀️

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Bailey Alliance 66-2
Same here. I thought I would have a look to see where the CAMC rallies are and could not find a link from their website.

In the end, I found the list via Google 🤷‍♀️
The rallys also have a far lower max-cap than CCC ones. (ie, amount of people maximum). CCC Rallys and THS are different, the Rallies are same as CAMC, smaller affairs, the THS ones in genera have larger capacitys and as such l you (usually) can rock up to without booking (sometimes need to ring a number to check space on day). The ones requiring prebooking at CCC are clearly marked.

This is something CCC does better as you can use an app to find THS within 50 miles of a place and use this to find the details without resorting to arcade Googleing.

CAMC only also send you Rallies from your local DA... no easy way to see all from everyone.

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Carthago I 143 LE
Exp
Since 2016
The rallys also have a far lower max-cap than CCC ones. (ie, amount of people maximum). CCC Rallys and THS are different, the Rallies are same as CAMC, smaller affairs, the THS ones in general you can rock up to without booking (sometimes need to ring a number to check space on day).

This is something CCC does better as you can use an app to find THS within 50 miles of a place and use this to find the details without resorting to arcade Googleing.

CAMC only also send you Rallies from your local DA... no easy way to see all from everyone.
Out and about app

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Carthago I 143 LE
Exp
Since 2016
I use the Out and About app for CCC rallies and ThS but there doesn’t seem to be an easy way to find the CAMC rallies.
No its useless, I'm not a member now but there used to be a diary pdf file you could download.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
3 years 30,000 miles UK and Europe.. Campsites and off Grid.
Got this the other day from Nick (Director General) at CAMC.....

Dear Mr ***********,

£5 deposit to book any pitch, at any UK Club campsite, for any duration

Last year I wrote to you personally highlighting the challenges we have faced as an organisation, and the pressures the increased cost of living has had on our members and their holiday plans.

At the start of the year, the Club froze campsite prices at 2023 levels and even reduced prices by up to 15% on over 1.5 million pitches at 60 UK Club campsites. We’ve also introduced a number of promotions to help reduce the cost of your holidays.

We have continued to offer our price match guarantee on all cross channel operators and European campsites as well as partnering with Irish Ferries to bring you a discounted summer fare.

Although we have seen some recovery in the economy this year, this doesn’t seem to have made a marked difference to the money in our pockets.

Now, along with the price freeze, the price reductions, the £5 off per night this summer and the many other promotions we’ve run this year, we have another way of helping members tour with the Club more cost efficiently.

To remind you, the Club introduced deposits in 2022 to reduce the number of speculative bookings, which each year resulted in almost 1 million cancelled nights across our UK Club campsite network. Cancellations have reduced by an incredible 70% since we introduced deposits and more members than ever are now able to find a pitch at the campsite they want to visit.

We now believe we can reduce the amount of deposit you pay and retain a low cancellation rate. I am therefore pleased to announce a new trial deposit of just £5 maximum per campsite booking...

... you’ll now just pay a £5 deposit to book any pitch, at any UK Club campsite, for any duration, for any party size.

... whether you book a day, a week, a fortnight, the deposit is the same... just £5, maximum.

The deposit is still fully refundable – if you cancel more than 21 days before the arrival date you get your deposit back in full.

We are going to run the trial from July to the 30 September 2024, so you can book any UK Club campsite for any time this year, and up to August 2025 - with just a £5 deposit.

We believe this to be the lowest, most flexible and affordable deposit within the camping and touring market.

Optimistically, we would like to extend the £5 deposit beyond the trial date, but we first must make sure that the cancellation rate doesn’t return to the high levels it was 2 years ago.

We therefore will review the performance of the trial, let you know what difference it has made, and whether we are able to continue with the £5 deposit to the end of the year and beyond.

I hope you will support this trial. With this lower deposit and the price reductions, please try the Club first when making a booking this summer and beyond. The more bookings our members make with the Club, the more opportunity there is to review prices, booking terms, and reinvest in the UK Club campsite network.

I aim to keep your Club wonderful for another 100 years and together I’m positive we can make it happen. I always welcome feedback from members, and look forward to hearing about all of your adventures this year.

Kind regards

Nick Lomas
Director General
Caravan and Motorhome Club

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
eight years in theory, a newby in practice!!!
I was going to post it the other day but never got there! Sounds as though bookings are down between the poor weather and the cost, it been on the cards but too little too late

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Bailey 79-4T
Exp
Since 2019
Just had the renewal email 😢

We hope you’ve had a great year with your Club.

Your membership is up for renewal in a month and will cost you just £63*. When you think about all the adventures you can start planning and booking, we think that’s well worth it.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
I use the Out and About app for CCC rallies and ThS but there doesn’t seem to be an easy way to find the CAMC rallies.
If your a member, they everything is in the monthly magazine. 🤔

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
eight years in theory, a newby in practice!!!
If your a member, they everything is in the monthly magazine. 🤔
I got their monthly magazine delivered this week for the first time in 8 months. Maybe that's the reason? ;)
Also they have sent me the same email twice in 4 days :whistle2:

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
I got their monthly magazine delivered this week for the first time in 8 months. Maybe that's the reason? ;)
Also they have sent me the same email twice in 4 days :whistle2:
British industry at it's best! 😄

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Since 2007
What another ill thought out decision that reeks of desperation. All this will do is open the door to the old hot spot pitch multi bookers who know they won’t use many of them & won’t mind losing £5 for the privilege & it’s right up to August 2025. Just when the whole site availability had been changed for the better. Wonder how many more members this will cost before they see sense.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Quote from the magazine
‘2023 had been a difficult year dealing with the cost of living crisis, higher than expected inflation and lower than expected UK campsite occupancy’.
Then below a selection of statistics congratulating themselves??
Still don’t recognise their own failings and pricing strategy as the root cause!

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu
Exp
Converted caravanner!
What another ill thought out decision that reeks of desperation. All this will do is open the door to the old hot spot pitch multi bookers who know they won’t use many of them & won’t mind losing £5 for the privilege & it’s right up to August 2025. Just when the whole site availability had been changed for the better. Wonder how many more members this will cost before they see sense.
I suspect part of the increased availability of sites is due to their cost not just the deposit scheme.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis
Exp
20 years
Each to their own, one of the reasons I left was the deposits arriving.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Wildax PVC
Exp
2yrs in & over 20% of nights 'out'
Have you bought campsite land near a large town
Appreciate the difference in population density compared to France/Spain but, perhaps, if local councils/govt hadn't sold off community land/assets to fund short-term vanity projects, there might still have been more options for municipal campsites/Aires in sensible locations - and the clubs wouldn't have such a strong duopoly?

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
Appreciate the difference in population density compared to France/Spain but, perhaps, if local councils/govt hadn't sold off community land/assets to fund short-term vanity projects, there might still have been more options for municipal campsites/Aires in sensible locations - and the clubs wouldn't have such a strong duopoly?
Your right but sadly we have to remember in this Democratic Society, we, the people, voted the people in that make these policies.

I wonder how many Funsters vote and attendance the Clubs DA meetings, I know I don't but I rarely complain about high campsite costs, I just don't use C&MHC sites while still being a member.

Why be a member? For a £1 a week, it's an emergency insurance and I believe, for that reason, it's good value for money! 🤔

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Since 2007
Each to their own, one of the reasons I left was the deposits arriving.
From personal experience of booking independent campsites they ask for a minimum of £50 deposit going up to 50% & some require full payment 4 weeks before arrival when booking 3 nights. We were unfortunately not able to travel due to serious illness & will probably lose around £140 if we can’t go by September. CAMC on the other hand gave me a voucher for £80 for 4 site cancellations that can be used within 12 months which I think is fair enough. I am no fan of CAMC management but in this case I have no complaints.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
Then vote them out again (sadly usually only once the penny drops, after the damage is done) - and then the cycle begins again... ::bigsmile:

Intrigued.
What are you insuring against?
Having to pay 45 quid for just a pitch (without EHU) on a site, during a Bank Holiday weekend, with just my VW ( badly needed facilities) in Yorkshire many years ago.
I was desperate after calling about 5 other sites that were full! 😢

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
3 years 30,000 miles UK and Europe.. Campsites and off Grid.
is it really worth the £63 ?????
I joined this year because they gave 2 free nights (that's the £63 covered) and they came out best for my insurance this time. Other than the 2 free nights I will only use them for CL's and probably leave again next year.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Back