Anyone Taken their MH to Glastonbury recently? (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation

FEC

Apr 23, 2023
Derbyshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape 674
Exp
6 months into the adventure
Afternoon all,
Just wondering if anyone has taken their MH to Glastonbury in the last few years?
I have never been -though always fancied it but all the mud and tents just put me off.
Now I have the MH I'm thinking that it might be an option if I can wrangle some tickets.
I know there is a field for MHs but wondering if anyone has booked it and if so whether you would go back?
Still just pondering the idea -and practicalities. I know tickets are hard to get etc.
But if anyone has been in the ticket mosh pit and knows the process for getting a MH booking after getting tickets, it would be
great to hear your insights. 👍

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
If you can tolerate the rubbish band line up and wokeness ,, I used to be a Glasto regular from 1974 until 1988 then it got expensive , corporate and the line ups went all pop and rapcrap ..and once it got over 40,000 people it was unpleasant

I know quite a few folk who do not agree with you...

And you haven't actually addressed the OP's question...

Which given that you haven't been for thirty six years is probably a good thing!

JJ :cool:

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
19 month year 18000 miles UK, Ireland, France, Spain, Germany, Italy. Campsites and off Grid.
I know quite a few folk who do not agree with you...

And you haven't actually addressed the OP's question...

JJ :cool:

This^^

Music, art etc are subjective. Just because it's not what you like (anymore) doesn't mean it's not valid, not enjoyable to others.

Personal view is that there a heck of a lot of music at Glastonbury nowadays - most people should be able to find something that flats their boat.

If it's too big for your fair enough. Lots of people like stadium gigs but personally a 3000 seater auditorium is as big as I go to nowadays and my preference is for 300! Each to their own. Again, Glastonbury has a big variety in venue sizes, you don't have to go to the big stages every night, or any.

Upvote 0
Oct 1, 2017
Funster No
We went about 5 years ago, in a 9mtr motorhome so were at the bath and western show ground, regular buses in, took about 15 mins if I remember, can’t remember it being an issue getting the camper van tickets as the show ground is huge, nice going back getting proper showers and bed, covered some miles and the weather was ace, something for everyone, didn’t bother with some of the headliners as lots more to see on other stages, take your own drink in so not paying festival prices.

Upvote 0
Apr 6, 2019
Eye, Peterborough, UK
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
FourWinds Windsport 6.8L V10
Read in another forum the campervan site is about 35 minutes walk away from the festival itself. Something to be factored in and apparently uphill to get back home.

Reactions: FEC
Upvote 0
OP
OP
FEC

FEC

Apr 23, 2023
Derbyshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape 674
Exp
Thanks for the responses so far. Very helpful. Obviously some people don't like it and that is totally fine by me. I don't like lots of things that some of you will like.
The festival does seem quite eclectic and lots going on beyond just the music too. I have a 7.5m MH so think I would be put in the East field which is walkable I believe, though hilly....but having the sanctuary of the MH at the end of the day does make me think it might be worth a punt on the tickets. Our kid will be 14 so the range of music means might be more there for him than us!

I'll keep an eye on the advice here -leaning esp towards the practical advice side of things rather than why folks don't like it.

Thanks as ever for your wise counsel -much appreciated. 👏👍

Upvote 0
Nov 2, 2014
somerset
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
You must get ticket you can order motor home parking if your lucky enough to get a ticket ,you can sometimes you can buy a motorhome parking ticker there it was about 90 pounds I know because I work there been going about 40 years ,and went to very first one when I was 16 I'm now 70 well worth the money to go, and I get to sleep in my own bed every night hope ti's answers your quetion

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Jan 2, 2017
Buckinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2010
Afternoon all,
Just wondering if anyone has taken their MH to Glastonbury in the last few years?
I have never been -though always fancied it but all the mud and tents just put me off.
Now I have the MH I'm thinking that it might be an option if I can wrangle some tickets.
I know there is a field for MHs but wondering if anyone has booked it and if so whether you would go back?
Still just pondering the idea -and practicalities. I know tickets are hard to get etc.
But if anyone has been in the ticket mosh pit and knows the process for getting a MH booking after getting tickets, it would be
great to hear your insights. 👍
I've been a number of times with a motorhome, though not very recently. Would not dream of going without one.

A few years ago they opened an off-site motorhome parking area (with a bus shuttle to the site) where larger motorhomes can have bigger pitches. There were also showers and loos available and the whole experience was a bit less ... extreme.

Prior to this I was always on the festival motorhome fields.

If I went back, and if it was still an option, I would do the off-site thing again. It was convenient and the bus ride no worse than walking for 30 minutes from the festival fields.

(Motorhome tickets sell out quickly so if you're lucky to get festival tickets you still need to be quick off the mark with the motorhome tickets too.)

Upvote 0
OP
OP
FEC

FEC

Apr 23, 2023
Derbyshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape 674
Exp
You must get ticket you can order motor home parking if your lucky enough to get a ticket ,you can sometimes you can buy a motorhome parking ticker there it was about 90 pounds I know because I work there been going about 40 years ,and went to very first one when I was 16 I'm now 70 well worth the money to go, and I get to sleep in my own bed every night hope ti's answers your quetion
You are certainly the voice of experience! And this is very helpful advice thanks (y)

Upvote 0
OP
OP
FEC

FEC

Apr 23, 2023
Derbyshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape 674
Exp
I've been a number of times with a motorhome, though not very recently. Would not dream of going without one.

A few years ago they opened an off-site motorhome parking area (with a bus shuttle to the site) where larger motorhomes can have bigger pitches. There were also showers and loos available and the whole experience was a bit less ... extreme.

If I went back, and if it was still an option, I would do the off-site thing again. It was convenient and the bus ride no worse than walking for 30 minutes from the festival fields.

(Motorhome tickets sell out quickly so if you're lucky to get festival tickets you still need to be quick off the mark with the motorhome tickets too.)

Thanks that is very helpful and quite reassuring -the point about the bigger MH park and shuttle bus makes a lot of sense and I think would probably be preferable -there would be plenty of walking around during it so not having the trudge back might be a blessing. Will give it serious consideration I think and perhaps have a go at the ticket stampede when they are released and if I get them -lock in the MH option ASAP Thanks again 👍

Upvote 0
Nov 14, 2018
Europe
Funster No
MH
A grey one
Exp
since 1996
We are hoping to go next year, for the first time. I had not realised there was an off site motorhome site. We lived in Germany for many years and went to Hurricane Festival a few times so sort of know what to expect! Does anyone know if the off site place also has EHU? I'm going to register for tickets soon and hope for luck when they go on sale. My kids (25, 27 and 30) are also gong to apply so hopefully we might just get lucky!

Upvote 0
Aug 1, 2021
Pembrokeshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto-T Expedition 66
We're Glastonbury regulars, but we camp in a tent with a group of friends close to the centre of the festival.

Campervan / motorhome parking is a fairly expensive addition to an already quite pricey ticket. The nearest motorhome camping is at Campervan East. This is about 40 minutes walk from the centre of the festival. It's actually outside the festival perimeter fence so you have to check in and out each day.

If you haven't been before it's worth pointing out that the festival site is enormous. It reputably becomes the 9th biggest city in the UK for the weekend! According to my Fitbit I walked between 8 and 12 miles each day this year.

Ignore the detractors. There is literally something for absolutely everyone. Music, dance, comedy, science talks, cookery demonstrations, park runs, art installations, around 100 bars, and over 1000 food stalls from Fish and Chips to Goan Curry to Jamaican jerk chicken.

It is exhausting, but there really isn't anywhere else quite like it.

Funsters Brian and Lee, Teddy B were staying in Campervan East this year, and should be able to give you up to date info on the motorhome arrangements.

Upvote 0
Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
19 month year 18000 miles UK, Ireland, France, Spain, Germany, Italy. Campsites and off Grid.
.....take your own drink in so not paying festival prices.

Are you allowed to do that at Glastonbury? Very few festivals/outdoor concerts I have been to recently don't even allow you to take water in. I was virtually strip searched this weekend going to a gig at O2 Kentish town forum. It's really pi*** me off the hassle involved in attending festivals, concerts, theatre nowadays.

Upvote 0
Aug 1, 2021
Pembrokeshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto-T Expedition 66
Are you allowed to do that at Glastonbury? Very few festivals/outdoor concerts I have been to recently don't even allow you to take water in. I was virtually strip searched this weekend going to a gig at O2 Kentish town forum. It's really pi*** me off the hassle involved in attending festivals, concerts, theatre nowadays.
No restrictions at all on taking alcohol onto the site, both in the camping areas and around the stages and venues. There is a site wide no-glass policy though.

Lager, cider and IPA are around £6.50 to £6.75 a pint in the festival bars, so "London pricing" so to speak.

Upvote 0
Sep 4, 2017
North West, UK
Funster No
MH
VW T6.1 Transporter
Exp
Never stop learning 😊
I would love to go to Glastonbury but I know I would not really get on with it and be rapidly overwhelmed by the noise and number of people there.

However, came across an account last week from someone who is a vintage clothes trader at the show and it does sound an incredible experience.

Vintage Vixen at Glastonbury

Upvote 0
Feb 5, 2014
mid-Norfolk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2006
My daughter is taking her campervan to Latitude in a few weeks. I thought that would be reasonable as it’s not far to walk back to access home comforts 😉
Now she is talking about paying almost £70 per day to use the VIP Lounge so that she has access to nice toilets while near the main proceedings.
There are clearly things which need to be considered!

Gordon

Upvote 0
Apr 12, 2010
Bury St Edmunds, West Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg Cara
Exp
since 2007
Our son is a music promoter/ music teacher. He does a great job supporting unknown local bands. To show support we went to a “gig” a few Fridays ago. Being a septuagenarian I quickly realised that we are a universe away from what modern kids want in every way, musically, clothing, politics,beverages and attitudes. The kids loved it though.
Made me think about some of the comments in the 22 year old MP post 🤔 Give the young a chance I say.
Phil

Upvote 0
OP
OP
FEC

FEC

Apr 23, 2023
Derbyshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape 674
Exp
We're Glastonbury regulars, but we camp in a tent with a group of friends close to the centre of the festival.

Campervan / motorhome parking is a fairly expensive addition to an already quite pricey ticket. The nearest motorhome camping is at Campervan East. This is about 40 minutes walk from the centre of the festival. It's actually outside the festival perimeter fence so you have to check in and out each day.

If you haven't been before it's worth pointing out that the festival site is enormous. It reputably becomes the 9th biggest city in the UK for the weekend! According to my Fitbit I walked between 8 and 12 miles each day this year.

Ignore the detractors. There is literally something for absolutely everyone. Music, dance, comedy, science talks, cookery demonstrations, park runs, art installations, around 100 bars, and over 1000 food stalls from Fish and Chips to Goan Curry to Jamaican jerk chicken.

It is exhausting, but there really isn't anywhere else quite like it.

Funsters Brian and Lee, Teddy B were staying in Campervan East this year, and should be able to give you up to date info on the motorhome arrangements.
Super helpful advice and encouraging to know. I've always wanted to go but as I've got older there has always been a reason not to -but big birthdays are coming up this year and my son will be 14 and has got into his music so it might be an eye opener for him and get him more enthused about live gigs. I'm too old and too soft for camping so the MH looks like it might make it doable -if we can get tickets of course. The feedback here has been really useful thanks all! I'll maybe see some of you in the ticket queue 😂 Maybe even at the Legends set on the Sunday 😁 Thanks again for the advice 👍

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Sep 7, 2020
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun Ti
Exp
Recent
If you can tolerate the rubbish band line up and wokeness ,, I used to be a Glasto regular from 1974 until 1988 then it got expensive , corporate and the line ups went all pop and rapcrap ..and once it got over 40,000 people it was unpleasant
I live quite close and I used to go regularly in the early 80s and even then the "estimated" attendance was over 100,000. A lot of that was unpaying customers, either over the fence or bunging security a few quid!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
FEC

FEC

Apr 23, 2023
Derbyshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape 674
Exp
Only so many things you can legislate for I think? -the size of the event is one reason to go in my view -to experience the scale of the thing. Might be different if I had been to it previously -but a bit like going to New York City, it's all a bit manic, nice for a few weeks but would drive me nuts to live there.
A lot has to be taken on trust -given that you don't really know who is playing when you buy the tickets. So the size, the inter-generational vibe, the fact that most people there probably want to have a good time and being able to graze across a number of different bands depending on the schedule, is a draw for me. Tickets seem to be released in October so need to make mind up by early Autumn. 👍

Upvote 0
OP
OP
FEC

FEC

Apr 23, 2023
Derbyshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape 674
Exp
Many thanks -didn't know you had to register -so I'll definitely do that. Thanks for the link to it. Presumably there will be greater clarity in the Autumn about when the tickets will be released. In meantime will discuss with the family to make sure they are sufficiently keen -and there is the small matter of getting the dog looked after! thanks again (y)

Upvote 0
Jul 6, 2022
Funster No
MH
Burstner
I’ve been twice and would go again if the wife was up for it
Says it’s too crowded for her
It’s not if you want to go it’s if you can get tickets
You have to pre register too
Get main tickets then try for Motorhome ones later
Enjoy if you go

Upvote 0