Anybody who will do a (paid) pre purchase inspection of a moho in Weston Super Mare? (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Jul 30, 2024
Funster No
MH
Don't have it yet
Hello again Funsters :giggle:

I've reviewed all the helpful comments people gave me re Ford Transit bases and tendency to rust etc. Problems is I really like the van I'm considering and its a lhd which is what I want (and less easy to come by in the UK).

I know the RAC and AA will do pre purchase inspections but they are formulaic and wont focus on specific areas.

So I'm wondering if theres anybody on here that either knows of a trustworthy mechanical service in WSM that would do a thorough on site inspection for me or whether that's a service anybody on here offers or can offer?

My key areas of concern are rust as mentioned before and I guess an experienced eye over the engine listening for any concerning noises etc. These are things I cant do myself as I don't know what I'm looking for (and I'm also hundreds of miles away)!

If this isn't allowed on here or I'm posting in the wrong section of the forums then sorry in advance and Ill understand of my post gets taken down.

Thanks all

Heather

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
Look at the not MOT history for any areas of concern or history of any repairs
The lady has already done that as suggested in one of the replies to her earlier duplicate thread on Tuesday here:

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
H
Jul 30, 2024
Funster No
MH
Don't have it yet
Maybe ask at Davan Caravans, they may know someone?
Sneds thanks for the response. Do you mean ask Davan Caravans if they know someone who would check the van over for me? I take it they are local to Weston Super Mare (ie more local than me in Glasgow?! Cheers

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Still dropping clangers and making it up as I go along
Sneds thanks for the response. Do you mean ask Davan Caravans if they know someone who would check the van over for me? I take it they are local to Weston Super Mare (ie more local than me in Glasgow?! Cheers
I'm sure there are funsters in the area that could have a look
But are you considering with seeing it yourself ?
Pics alone can be misleading good or bad

Upvote 0
OP
OP
H
Jul 30, 2024
Funster No
MH
Don't have it yet

I'm sure there are funsters in the area that could have a look
But are you considering with seeing it yourself ?
Pics alone can be misleading good or bad
I've had a video viewing with the dealer and know the model - I will be flying down to pick it up myself so looking for someone with technical skill and knowledge I don't have to look at underbody for rust and look at engine. It will get a hab cert as part of sale

Upvote 0
Apr 28, 2021
Somerset, UK
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2006
The hab cert provided by the garage (if it is the one in the advert) will be not entirely trustworthy, it is part of their sales pitch not meant to guarantee the condition of the van. It sounds like you need a fresh MOT, for the cost of an MOT £50? I would take it to a local garbage and have it done. There are a few hab checkers in the WSM area but most will be fully booked. We have used MRE services or Tourer Techs.

Upvote 0
Apr 1, 2024
Bolton
Funster No
MH
Hobby T500 LHD
Exp
Spring 2024
Heather (I presume that is your name!),

Given that you have had a video viewing and the van will come with a hab check would an RAC or AA check or similar not cover the areas that still concern you - engine and bodywork (in particular the underbody)?

The other thing to check out is the reputation of this dealer. His prices look a little low to me - more like private sale prices. But maybe he has got a good handle on the market and has driven hard bargains on his purchases (which may be auction purchases). If someone on this thread has identified the right van I can see how the upholstery mismatch would depress the price and that is something that can be remedied if you have the right van.

Again assuming again that the right van is identified above two comments in the hope that I am being helpful: 1. This van has no garage for storage of outdoor seating EHU cables, hose pipes etc etc. They will have to be stowed under the French bed. Will that work for you? 2. The blurb says "heating" but nothing more. I would want to know more about that. Presumably it a gas only but what make? Does it provide both central heating and water heating? Truma is the most common heater. Why does the advert not say that or state the make of heater?

Not trying to put you off. I can see how this layout can work well for a singleton owner (and the absence of a ladder to climb to get into bed may well be an asset that I may regret not having in future years!!)

My Ford Transit based LHD Hobby T500 drives really well. I drove it for five hours non-stop coming back from Newhaven last weekend without major fatigue after a week in Normandy and I have one gear less than you!!

Hope that helps?

Chris

Upvote 0

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Still dropping clangers and making it up as I go along
From the MOT It doesn't look very well cared for lights and bulbs are easy fixes .

If they can't be bothered to do such small jobs what else has not been done.

Crud on the brake pipes again shows lack of interest or trying to hide the corrision

Don't fall in love with the blingy bits inside .if your base vehicle is iffy the whole van is.

Dint forget to expect to pay out approximately £2000 on unforeseeable fixes in the first year.

Would you buy a car of that age with so many MOT failures? To me ot looks not very well maintained

Sorry if it's not what you want to hear, but if you do not have the skills & knowledge to do the basics do you have a trusted garage that will service and maintain it for you

If you are flying down spend a few days so you can have plenty of time in the van, sitting looking playing and a really good long test drive

My van was a similar age over 5 years

New turbo, cam belt and water pump , new tyres all round. Front wheel bearing

That's on top of the yearly service and internal stuff

Hab door step broke ...mh expert price £800 to repair friendly back street proper mechanic £50

Think of the money as spent mine was a similar price which was equivalent to 4 good holidays. Money which I would never see again.

Saying all this I seen mine on ebay drove across country and offed and bought it in about an hour after a test drive with no hills (peterborough) crawling under it with a toffee hammer (parked on a slop so I could see) popping bonnet and looking for obvious issues before I looked in the back even though the door was open invitingly when I arrived.

You have greater chance of issues being resolved with a dealer are you willing to take it back when these occur and within the limited warrantee time frame?

Please keep us updated as I'm plain nosey and it fascinates me how different people approach buy vans.

Upvote 0
Aug 15, 2022
Bristol, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph
Exp
1 year and a bit
Middletons are literally next door to the Full Quart, the pub whose car park was used for the photos
There is also the Motorhome Hire Co on the same site but this isn’t one of their vans.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
H
Jul 30, 2024
Funster No
MH
Don't have it yet
Heather (I presume that is your name!),

Given that you have had a video viewing and the van will come with a hab check would an RAC or AA check or similar not cover the areas that still concern you - engine and bodywork (in particular the underbody)?

The other thing to check out is the reputation of this dealer. His prices look a little low to me - more like private sale prices. But maybe he has got a good handle on the market and has driven hard bargains on his purchases (which may be auction purchases). If someone on this thread has identified the right van I can see how the upholstery mismatch would depress the price and that is something that can be remedied if you have the right van.

Again assuming again that the right van is identified above two comments in the hope that I am being helpful: 1. This van has no garage for storage of outdoor seating EHU cables, hose pipes etc etc. They will have to be stowed under the French bed. Will that work for you? 2. The blurb says "heating" but nothing more. I would want to know more about that. Presumably it a gas only but what make? Does it provide both central heating and water heating? Truma is the most common heater. Why does the advert not say that or state the make of heater?

Not trying to put you off. I can see how this layout can work well for a singleton owner (and the absence of a ladder to climb to get into bed may well be an asset that I may regret not having in future years!!)

My Ford Transit based LHD Hobby T500 drives really well. I drove it for five hours non-stop coming back from Newhaven last weekend without major fatigue after a week in Normandy and I have one gear less than you!!

Hope that helps?

Chris
Thanks Chris - the fixed bed with no ladder definitely suits me as I hate clambering up ladders and the option of a small 3rd berth also appeals. The storage under the bed does have locker access from the back I think. Not sure about the heating make but I can ask 👍😊

Upvote 0
OP
OP
H
Jul 30, 2024
Funster No
MH
Don't have it yet
Yes, I meant ask them if they know anyone.
Is the van at a dealer?
I could take a cursory look if you like but I couldn’t knowledgeably comment on the engine condition.
Sneds thanks for the kind offer - would you be prepared to look underneath for signs of rust on sills, wheel arches, chassis rails and suspension mounts etc? (I say that like I know what I'm talking about ...I don't but these were suggestions from somebody on here 😊). As I said I'm happy to pay for your time and effort 😊

Upvote 0
Aug 15, 2022
Bristol, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph
Exp
1 year and a bit
More than happy to do as you ask but I am away for the following two weekends.

Could have gone today!

I’ll check what time they close in the evening as I am at work Monday to Friday.

No charge, happy to help :cool:

Upvote 0
Apr 1, 2024
Bolton
Funster No
MH
Hobby T500 LHD
Exp
Spring 2024
Thanks Chris - the fixed bed with no ladder definitely suits me as I hate clambering up ladders and the option of a small 3rd berth also appeals. The storage under the bed does have locker access from the back I think. Not sure about the heating make but I can ask 👍😊
Heather,
If the Ford Transit van you are looking at does not work for any reason this might suit you:

Transverse double bed but a step to get to it not a ladder. The damage at the rear corner seems very minor and you probably duck tape it it up and forget it (Or apply a bit of body filler if you prefer).

Even further away from you than the other van but getting the right one is obviously important. (I was lucky I found mine less than 100 miles away and drove there and back to view it on a Sunday)

Looks like there is no oven but I never use mine and wish I had either an air fryer or a microwave in lieu. (My EHU luxuries are a small George Forman type grill I use for bacon butties and a Lavazza coffee pod machine!)

Looks to be a good buy!

Hope that helps but maybe it will just serve to confuse!!

Chris

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
It’s a shame that this thread fell off front page for a few days as Tam Northernraider literally drove past the place on the M5 yesterday and I am sure he would have liked to help a fellow Scot and pass on the karma of having fellow Funsters look at a van, on his behalf, a few months ago.
No one better placed to know what to look at underneath !

Upvote 0
Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
It’s a shame that this thread fell off front page for a few days as Tam Northernraider literally drove past the place on the M5 yesterday and I am sure he would have liked to help a fellow Scot and pass on the karma of having fellow Funsters look at a van, on his behalf, a few months ago.
Good spot, what a shame he missed it :doh: (along with everyone else)

Upvote 0
Aug 15, 2022
Bristol, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph
Exp
1 year and a bit
I live 2 miles away and offered to go have a look, I wonder if the OP has changed their mind?
There must be stuff for sales closer to home?

Upvote 0

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Where is it?

I was only on the m5 very briefly as I came from the east . But if I'd seen the post and was passing I'd have checked it out no problem.

If any help though the photos look good and that seems cheap for a 2007

Upvote 0

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
Where is it?

I was only on the m5 very briefly as I came from the east . But if I'd seen the post and was passing I'd have checked it out no problem.

If any help though the photos look good and that seems cheap for a 2007
I know you would have done, Somerset Trade MHs less than a mile off the Weston-super-mare junction. I forgot you have been to Sussex after Wales - in my defence I have been to Stockholm and back!

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back