Anybody who will do a (paid) pre purchase inspection of a moho in Weston Super Mare? (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Jul 30, 2024
Funster No
MH
Don't have it yet
Hello again Funsters :giggle:

I've reviewed all the helpful comments people gave me re Ford Transit bases and tendency to rust etc. Problems is I really like the van I'm considering and its a lhd which is what I want (and less easy to come by in the UK).

I know the RAC and AA will do pre purchase inspections but they are formulaic and wont focus on specific areas.

So I'm wondering if theres anybody on here that either knows of a trustworthy mechanical service in WSM that would do a thorough on site inspection for me or whether that's a service anybody on here offers or can offer?

My key areas of concern are rust as mentioned before and I guess an experienced eye over the engine listening for any concerning noises etc. These are things I cant do myself as I don't know what I'm looking for (and I'm also hundreds of miles away)!

If this isn't allowed on here or I'm posting in the wrong section of the forums then sorry in advance and Ill understand of my post gets taken down.

Thanks all

Heather

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
I know you would have done, Somerset Trade MHs less than a mile off the Weston-super-mare junction. I forgot you have been to Sussex after Wales - in my defence I have been to Stockholm and back!
I will be heading back up to Wales but not sure when exactly at the minute ...possibly the weekend after this coming one

Upvote 0
OP
OP
H
Jul 30, 2024
Funster No
MH
Don't have it yet
I live 2 miles away and offered to go have a look, I wonder if the OP has changed their mind?
There must be stuff for sales closer to home?
Hi Sneds - I did reply to your kind offer so don't know what happened? I had said I'd love to take you up on your offer but we're you willing to look at underbody, rails, cills, arches, chassis mounts etc as that's what my fears are about and the garage hasn't replied to my request for pics 🙄

Upvote 0
OP
OP
H
Jul 30, 2024
Funster No
MH
Don't have it yet
It’s a shame that this thread fell off front page for a few days as Tam Northernraider literally drove past the place on the M5 yesterday and I am sure he would have liked to help a fellow Scot and pass on the karma of having fellow Funsters look at a van, on his behalf, a few months ago.
No one better placed to know what to look at underneath !
Aaw I'm gutted I missed out that opportunity to use your skills Tam! 😭😭 I'm still considering the van and been messaging local moho engineers to see if they would do an inspection but nobody responding so far 😥

Upvote 0
OP
OP
H
Jul 30, 2024
Funster No
MH
Don't have it yet
Hi Sneds - I did reply to your kind offer so don't know what happened? I had said I'd love to take you up on your offer but we're you willing to look at underbody, rails, cills, arches, chassis mounts etc as that's what my fears are about and the garage hasn't replied to my request for pics 🙄

Screenshot_20240807-202100.png

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
H
Jul 30, 2024
Funster No
MH
Don't have it yet
Heather,
If the Ford Transit van you are looking at does not work for any reason this might suit you:

Transverse double bed but a step to get to it not a ladder. The damage at the rear corner seems very minor and you probably duck tape it it up and forget it (Or apply a bit of body filler if you prefer).

Even further away from you than the other van but getting the right one is obviously important. (I was lucky I found mine less than 100 miles away and drove there and back to view it on a Sunday)

Looks like there is no oven but I never use mine and wish I had either an air fryer or a microwave in lieu. (My EHU luxuries are a small George Forman type grill I use for bacon butties and a Lavazza coffee pod machine!)

Looks to be a good buy!

Hope that helps but maybe it will just serve to confuse!!

Chris
Thanks Chris I'll have a look 😊

Upvote 0
Oct 15, 2011
Not Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic eline
Exp
Since 2011
It’s a shame that this thread fell off front page for a few days as Tam Northernraider literally drove past the place on the M5 yesterday and I am sure he would have liked to help a fellow Scot and pass on the karma of having fellow Funsters look at a van, on his behalf, a few months ago.
No one better placed to know what to look at underneath !
But as stated, he doesn’t look at other threads.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
H
Jul 30, 2024
Funster No
MH
Don't have it yet
I will be heading back up to Wales but not sure when exactly at the minute ...possibly the weekend after this coming one
If that is indeed the case would you be prepared to look at the van for us? I'd happily pay you for your time and trouble! The clock is ticking for us and we only have a few weekends left before heading off to Spain. In an ideal world I'd like to do that in a moho rather than squishing my poor dog in the back of a fiat 500L lol 😊

Upvote 0

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
If that is indeed the case would you be prepared to look at the van for us? I'd happily pay you for your time and trouble! The clock is ticking for us and we only have a few weekends left before heading off to Spain. In an ideal world I'd like to do that in a moho rather than squishing my poor dog in the back of a fiat 500L lol 😊
I'd be happy to give it a once over if you've not found anyone before I head up that way . At the moment I don't know the exact day I'll be passing as I'm down in Cornwall at the minute doing some work on my own van but once that's completed I'll be driving up to wales to collect my new one . I'll let you know when I have a better idea of the day.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
H
Jul 30, 2024
Funster No
MH
Don't have it yet
I'd be happy to give it a once over if you've not found anyone before I head up that way . At the moment I don't know the exact day I'll be passing as I'm down in Cornwall at the minute doing some work on my own van but once that's completed I'll be driving up to wales to collect my new one . I'll let you know when I have a better idea of the day.
Northernraider that would be great - appreciate it 🥰

Upvote 0
OP
OP
H
Jul 30, 2024
Funster No
MH
Don't have it yet
Happy to take a look but I’m away this weekend and the next, happy to go the weekend after that if still needed.
If the seller isn’t prepared to send you some video I think I’d be looking elsewhere.
Thank you 😊 I reckon if I've not managed to get it looked at before then I'll probs need to leave it as we head off for Spain on 25th so it'll be December before I'm back in blighty

Upvote 0

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Thank you 😊 I reckon if I've not managed to get it looked at before then I'll probs need to leave it as we head off for Spain on 25th so it'll be December before I'm back in blighty
Personally if I was you and that was the van /layout I wanted I'd hop on a train or a plane and come down and view it. It looks clean in the photos and it's mot history is good. . Its never had more than a few bulbs and lights out causing it to fail. Not even an advisory on corrosion apart from brake pipes which is a service item .

Upvote 0
Aug 17, 2012
Burton on Trent
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Winchcom
Exp
tenting,caravans,autotrail cheyenne,bolero, apache. and now Mercedes Autosleeper winchcombe
Heather (I presume that is your name!),

Given that you have had a video viewing and the van will come with a hab check would an RAC or AA check or similar not cover the areas that still concern you - engine and bodywork (in particular the underbody)?

The other thing to check out is the reputation of this dealer. His prices look a little low to me - more like private sale prices. But maybe he has got a good handle on the market and has driven hard bargains on his purchases (which may be auction purchases). If someone on this thread has identified the right van I can see how the upholstery mismatch would depress the price and that is something that can be remedied if you have the right van.

Again assuming again that the right van is identified above two comments in the hope that I am being helpful: 1. This van has no garage for storage of outdoor seating EHU cables, hose pipes etc etc. They will have to be stowed under the French bed. Will that work for you? 2. The blurb says "heating" but nothing more. I would want to know more about that. Presumably it a gas only but what make? Does it provide both central heating and water heating? Truma is the most common heater. Why does the advert not say that or state the make of heater?

Not trying to put you off. I can see how this layout can work well for a singleton owner (and the absence of a ladder to climb to get into bed may well be an asset that I may regret not having in future years!!)

My Ford Transit based LHD Hobby T500 drives really well. I drove it for five hours non-stop coming back from Newhaven last weekend without major fatigue after a week in Normandy and I have one gear less than you!!

Hope that helps?

Chris
my experiance of MH adverts is that the writer knows zip about the van aside it has 4 wheels and a toilet.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
H
Jul 30, 2024
Funster No
MH
Don't have it yet
Personally if I was you and that was the van /layout I wanted I'd hop on a train or a plane and come down and view it. It looks clean in the photos and it's mot history is good. . Its never had more than a few bulbs and lights out causing it to fail. Not even an advisory on corrosion apart from brake pipes which is a service item .
Yeah whilst that makes sense I have no mechanical or bodywork knowledge or skill so I don't know what I'm looking at. I'm going to see If I can get a garage in WSM to do a mechanical/underbody inspection for me and then just bite the bullet depending on outcome. So if you know any trustworthy services in the area I'd appreciate the info 👍😊

Upvote 0
Jul 22, 2023
Burnham-on-Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Devon Aztec
Yeah whilst that makes sense I have no mechanical or bodywork knowledge or skill so I don't know what I'm looking at. I'm going to see If I can get a garage in WSM to do a mechanical/underbody inspection for me and then just bite the bullet depending on outcome. So if you know any trustworthy services in the area I'd appreciate the info 👍😊
I've given you a good one earlier in this thread. Post #24

Upvote 0
OP
OP
H
Jul 30, 2024
Funster No
MH
Don't have it yet
If I can help I will not mechanical minded though, I've been inthere a few times,I lve about 20 miles away regards
Sorry didn't see this earlier! I'm losing track of the thread lol. Thanks for the offer - I've now had details of an inspection service from another member so think I'll get that done 👍

Upvote 0
Jul 7, 2021
Funster No
MH
dont own one yet.
Tam has a nice van for sale, he knows it inside out Northernraider 😎

Upvote 0
OP
OP
H
Jul 30, 2024
Funster No
MH
Don't have it yet
From the MOT It doesn't look very well cared for lights and bulbs are easy fixes .

If they can't be bothered to do such small jobs what else has not been done.

Crud on the brake pipes again shows lack of interest or trying to hide the corrision

Don't fall in love with the blingy bits inside .if your base vehicle is iffy the whole van is.

Dint forget to expect to pay out approximately £2000 on unforeseeable fixes in the first year.

Would you buy a car of that age with so many MOT failures? To me ot looks not very well maintained

Sorry if it's not what you want to hear, but if you do not have the skills & knowledge to do the basics do you have a trusted garage that will service and maintain it for you

If you are flying down spend a few days so you can have plenty of time in the van, sitting looking playing and a really good long test drive

My van was a similar age over 5 years

New turbo, cam belt and water pump , new tyres all round. Front wheel bearing

That's on top of the yearly service and internal stuff

Hab door step broke ...mh expert price £800 to repair friendly back street proper mechanic £50

Think of the money as spent mine was a similar price which was equivalent to 4 good holidays. Money which I would never see again.

Saying all this I seen mine on ebay drove across country and offed and bought it in about an hour after a test drive with no hills (peterborough) crawling under it with a toffee hammer (parked on a slop so I could see) popping bonnet and looking for obvious issues before I looked in the back even though the door was open invitingly when I arrived.

You have greater chance of issues being resolved with a dealer are you willing to take it back when these occur and within the limited warrantee time frame?

Please keep us updated as I'm plain nosey and it fascinates me how different people approach buy vans.
Nanniemate update as requested - found a local guy to do inspection for us - his detailed feedback has resulted in us not going ahead with the van. Probably the best £120 I've spent of late 😊. The fella was thorough and knowledgeable in his inspection and was also not impressed by the dealer attitude wise so all in all I'm happy with decision not to go ahead. Back to the search we go! 🧐

Upvote 0

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Nanniemate update as requested - found a local guy to do inspection for us - his detailed feedback has resulted in us not going ahead with the van. Probably the best £120 I've spent of late 😊. The fella was thorough and knowledgeable in his inspection and was also not impressed by the dealer attitude wise so all in all I'm happy with decision not to go ahead. Back to the search we go! 🧐
What van are you looking for?

I've a cracker for sale. Older but more reliable

Upvote 0

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Still dropping clangers and making it up as I go along
A little disappointed now is better than huge regrets later

The right one will come along good luck

Upvote 0
OP
OP
H
Jul 30, 2024
Funster No
MH
Don't have it yet
What van are you looking for?

I've a cracker for sale. Older but more reliable
I'm looking for as small as possible (height and length) with a fixed bed and preferable a third berth altho that bit is not crucial

Upvote 0
Jul 22, 2023
Burnham-on-Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Devon Aztec
Hi Heather, did you use Miles at MJB Tourer services?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
H
Jul 30, 2024
Funster No
MH
Don't have it yet
Hello again Funsters :giggle:

I've reviewed all the helpful comments people gave me re Ford Transit bases and tendency to rust etc. Problems is I really like the van I'm considering and its a lhd which is what I want (and less easy to come by in the UK).

I know the RAC and AA will do pre purchase inspections but they are formulaic and wont focus on specific areas.

So I'm wondering if theres anybody on here that either knows of a trustworthy mechanical service in WSM that would do a thorough on site inspection for me or whether that's a service anybody on here offers or can offer?

My key areas of concern are rust as mentioned before and I guess an experienced eye over the engine listening for any concerning noises etc. These are things I cant do myself as I don't know what I'm looking for (and I'm also hundreds of miles away)!

If this isn't allowed on here or I'm posting in the wrong section of the forums then sorry in advance and Ill understand of my post gets taken down.

Thanks all

Heather
Hello all
Thanks to everyone that got involved with my thread - I'm delighted to say we pick up our new (to us) moho today! Not the one from WSM but same model a year older but only 35k miles and well looked after it's whole life - excited much 😁😁😁👍

Upvote 0
Jun 21, 2024
Funster No
MH
Harmony line 690g
Hello all
Thanks to everyone that got involved with my thread - I'm delighted to say we pick up our new (to us) moho today! Not the one from WSM but same model a year older but only 35k miles and well looked after it's whole life - excited much 😁😁😁👍

Pics ????

Upvote 0

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Still dropping clangers and making it up as I go along
Hello all
Not true until we see pics :rofl:

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back