Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 14th year & still loving it.
There is a lot of condemnation about the two big clubs, non more so that against the CAMC.
When it’s wrong people are quick to complain but when it goes well people tend not to recognise it.
So we have just had two weeks staying in Looe at the CAMC’s club site there, unfortunately for me my wife had to rush me into Derriford hospital in Plymouth, the old Kidney Stones, phew never felt pain like it and thanks to the surgical staff there they didn’t just dose me up with pain killers and send me on my way to be dealt with back home, end result the consultant ordered scans and x-rays I had a bad Kidney Infection so intravenous antibiotics for a couple of days then down into theatre where the used a laser to break up the stones.
All in all I spent a week in the hospital, meanwhile back at the campsite we were going to go over our booked days, the wardens assurred Chris my wife that staying extra nights wouldn’t be a problem so that worry went away.
When we finally left and came home I mentioned to Chris that we had paid for two adults for 7 mights when infact there had only been one, so she phoned the CAMC they took notes and within 4hrs we recieved a call from the Looe campsite whereby they refunded us for the 7nights.
So we thank them for such prompt attention in making the refund and also how helpful the staff were in our hour of need.

Sep 21, 2007
Kings Ripton, Huntingdon
Funster No
MH
RP Rebellion 2025
Exp
Since 2007
There is a lot of condemnation about the two big clubs, non more so that against the CAMC.
When it’s wrong people are quick to complain but when it goes well people tend not to recognise it.
So we have just had two weeks staying in Looe at the CAMC’s club site there, unfortunately for me my wife had to rush me into Derriford hospital in Plymouth, the old Kidney Stones, phew never felt pain like it and thanks to the surgical staff there they didn’t just dose me up with pain killers and send me on my way to be dealt with back home, end result the consultant ordered scans and x-rays I had a bad Kidney Infection so intravenous antibiotics for a couple of days then down into theatre where the used a laser to break up the stones.
All in all I spent a week in the hospital, meanwhile back at the campsite we were going to go over our booked days, the wardens assurred Chris my wife that staying extra nights wouldn’t be a problem so that worry went away.
When we finally left and came home I mentioned to Chris that we had paid for two adults for 7 mights when infact there had only been one, so she phoned the CAMC they took notes and within 4hrs we recieved a call from the Looe campsite whereby they refunded us for the 7nights.
So we thank them for such prompt attention in making the refund and also how helpful the staff were in our hour of need.
Can’t say fairer than that. 👏 NHS didn’t do a bad job either did they. 😉

Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
They say 'if one has enough cheek one can get away with anything?'

Good to read your back home safely and you got your refund! 😄

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
Excellent result. It's the wardens rather than the 'club'.
Early one morning, solo in my m/h at Thirsk in the Yorkshire Dales I had a call from my niece telling me that my 80 yr old sister was very ill in hospital in Redruth, Cornwall. Stopping halfway in the 400 mile drive for fuel I phoned the local CAMC site explaining the situation and that I wasn't sure at what time I'd get to the site. The lady said it was fine and I could stay as many nights as necessary. She gave me a pitch number and said they'd leave the barrier operational. I arrived at the hospital at 9.15 pm, chatted to my sister about camping hols of the past until she fell asleep and died at 9.45. I arrived at the designated pitch at 10.30 hungry and utterly exhausted and had to move a box under which was a carton of milk and two sausage rolls.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 22, 2017
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Since 2007
In April this year while at Southport CAMC site my partner had a heart attack. She was taken to Southport hospital & then transferred to Liverpool Heart & Chest in Broad Green where she had 2 stents fitted & all good ,the treatment was excellent.During this traumatic period the site manager & staff could not have been more helpful & assured me I could stay as long as necessary even with the Bank holiday looming & fully booked. They are used to this sort of thing happening & know how to deal with it & we couldn’t have been more grateful that they were there make one thing less stressful.So another praise for CAMC even if a little belated.

Oct 8, 2014
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Excel 600B
Exp
Previous VW Camper + Caravan
Last week we stayed one night at an independant site near Milton Keynes. (We were visiting Bletchley Park) When I booked I was asked what time we would arrive. When I received the booking confirmation it explaned that the site was part of a farm and they didnt want to sit around in reception waiting for late arrivals.

There was a lot of traffic and roadworks on our route, and I anticipated being about 10 mins late so an hour before we were due, I phoned and said we may be up to 30 mins late, but were happy to sit and
wait for them, if we were any earlier. Their begrudging response was to suggest I could "check-in in advance" and they would text me the gate code. It was what she said next that suprised me - "Then you won't need to worry about being charged for being late!"

Feb 19, 2023
Leyland, UK
Funster No
MH
AutoTrail Excel 690L
Exp
Since August 2022
Recently at Hebden Bridge CAMC a couple arrived in a recently purchased MH (20 minutes). It wouldn’t start after arriving at reception but then it came obvious they had a much bigger problem as they had followed their sat-nav and tried to get under a low bridge and removed the awning apart from other damage. Wardens looked after them, managed to tow the MH and get it on a pitch for the night and then took them to Halifax the next day to get a hire car to get home to South Wales. There are are a lot of good people out there but we only tend to hear about the ones that we don’t approve of.

Oct 24, 2019
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Caracompact 600 MEG
Exp
5 years
We have stayed on CC/CAMC exclusively in UK for the last 40 years. Never had anything but positive experiences during our many holidays. While the above experiences are heart warming I don’t find them surprising because that is how the club works. Had a couple of issues abroad but on both occasions the club via Red Pennant sorted everything in a professional manner.

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
Having had two bouts of kidney stones so I feel your pain…😱😱

Apparently I have still 3 to come out of my kidneys according to X-rays but when you start getting a pain in your back you never forget the start of it and what that pain means so get to hospital asap…

May 26, 2023
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
Swift c404
Exp
Well fair play to you, it would never have even entered my head to ask for a refund, especially after the site had assured me all would be well however long it took and the NHS had been so responsive, think I would have just been grateful to be surrounded by so many helpful people, can see where I have been going wrong now

OP
OP
robnchris
Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Amazing we start a thread praising the CAMC club for the their prompt service and two members find fault because we asked for a refund, what they failed to pick up on is that the extra nights were paid for after my admission to hospital and the site warden just applied the same rates from our original booking.
I wonder if the two keyboard warriors would question the amount when they made a booking if they were charged for an extra person.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Last week we stayed one night at an independant site near Milton Keynes. (We were visiting Bletchley Park) When I booked I was asked what time we would arrive. When I received the booking confirmation it explaned that the site was part of a farm and they didnt want to sit around in reception waiting for late arrivals.

There was a lot of traffic and roadworks on our route, and I anticipated being about 10 mins late so an hour before we were due, I phoned and said we may be up to 30 mins late, but were happy to sit and
wait for them, if we were any earlier. Their begrudging response was to suggest I could "check-in in advance" and they would text me the gate code. It was what she said next that suprised me - "Then you won't need to worry about being charged for being late!"
I think I know where you were staying ;) the same young lady said we were a bit too big and didn't want us to overhang the grass as she wouldn't be able to cut it, she then said "I am sure it's a very nice motorhome but is it legal with the steering wheel on the other side, I thought after Brexit everything had to be changed over" and wouldn't let us lift the manhole next to the elsan dump, nice spot though all the same and handy for Bletchley as you say.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp

What would have been wrong with charging you for being late if they stayed to wait for you. Not manual people go to work for fun most expect to be paid!

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Malibu Van 640 LE K
Exp
Since 2003
tried it on with a CL when we had to leave early with a sick dog, I asked if I could have credit for a couple of unused nights, deafening silence 😉
You can’t blame the CAMC for that one, CLs are private businesses and make their own rules. My wife broke her arm and we didn’t get a refund from one CL. That’s life.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
You can’t blame the CAMC for that one, CLs are private businesses and make their own rules. My wife broke her arm and we didn’t get a refund from one CL. That’s life.
I can't think of any other type of holiday where people would expect a refund if they cancelled at the last minute! We just cancelled a holiday in Greece sailing due to a broken hand lost exactly what it says in the cancellation terms I wouldn't expect any different.

Jun 29, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
caravan (for now)
Exp
on and off since 1984
I did consider it a cheeky request, however we are returning to the area today and have chosen a different CL, so it may not have been the best decision for them.

Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
Amazing we start a thread praising the CAMC club for the their prompt service and two members find fault because we asked for a refund, what they failed to pick up on is that the extra nights were paid for after my admission to hospital and the site warden just applied the same rates from our original booking.
I wonder if the two keyboard warriors would question the amount when they made a booking if they were charged for an extra person.

Personally, after all that has been said about C&MH Club wardens (but I have never experienced it)

I would have been thankful for their flexibility and helpfulness (it might not have been easy to rearrange pitches etc to accommodate a non- ending occupancy) and relieve me of the worry of HAVING to find other accommodation.

When I left, I hope I would also have left them a small present of appreciation.

It's good that we are all different! 😄

Nov 3, 2020
Up the Hamble
Funster No
MH
Ace Siena
Exp
Since 2019
Oct 8, 2014
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Excel 600B
Exp
Previous VW Camper + Caravan
What would have been wrong with charging you for being late if they stayed to wait for you. Not manual people go to work for fun most expect to be paid!
They may be farmers but have chosen to run a campsite as well. I defy anyone to drive cross-country for 3 hours and to be able to predict a month in advance EXACTLY what time they will arrive. If they aren't prepared to be in reception for arrivals, then their "Self check-in" procedure should be available by default.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
They may be farmers but have chosen to run a campsite as well. I defy anyone to drive cross-country for 3 hours and to be able to predict a month in advance EXACTLY what time they will arrive. If they aren't prepared to be in reception for arrivals, then their "Self check-in" procedure should be available by default.
If they have times that reception is open then if people arrive outside those times it's reasonable to charge. If I had an appointment for any other buisness and arrived late through no fault of my own I would expect to either have to make another ( and pay a cancellation charge) or pay for a late arrival especially if it's after their normal opening hours.

OP
OP
robnchris
Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Personally, after all that has been said about C&MH Club wardens (but I have never experienced it)

I would have been thankful for their flexibility and helpfulness (it might not have been easy to rearrange pitches etc to accommodate a non- ending occupancy) and relieve me of the worry of HAVING to find other accommodation.

When I left, I hope I would also have left them a small present of appreciation.

It's good that we are all different! 😄
Have you ever been to a CAMC Site? There is never a problem about rearranging a pitch, people turn up choose their pitch and then return to the booking office to tell the warden which pitch they are on, that is usually when they give you the key code for the gate or toilets.
I wonder if you would have the same approach if you were having a meal in the restaurant and the staff let you have the widow seat you hadn't booked, found a cushion to sit on to make the seat more comfortable, then after the meal still charged you full price even though they had ran out of the Mushrooms which went with you main course and didn't have any bread rolls to go with your soup starter.
You would of course still leave them a big tip when you left out of appreciation.

hja

May 8, 2020
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit Prim
Exp
Since 2019
If they have times that reception is open then if people arrive outside those times it's reasonable to charge. If I had an appointment for any other buisness and arrived late through no fault of my own I would expect to either have to make another ( and pay a cancellation charge) or pay for a late arrival especially if it's after their normal opening hours.
I think we are talking about CL type sites here, which normally, by their very nature, are more informal than other sites. I have been asked what time we are likely to be arriving, mainly so the owner can be nearby. I have never been told I would pay extra if I arrive after that time. The most common approach I receive when booking is “I’m usually somewhere around, ring the bell or ring this phone number, or I’ll put your pitch number up on the board, and I’ll text you the gate code.” Most CLs don’t have formal receptions or reception times and I don’t think you can equate it with a business appointment somewhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back