And People Say Brittany Ferries are Expensive (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Spain + Abu Dhabi
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
7m Motorhome one way from Rotterdam - Hull

Screenshot 2024-06-03 at 21.12.28.png

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Funny I’ve just been looking at that route for September October time as we tend to use this route to save driving on this side, two people with 4 berth inside cabin was coming in under £500 return with 7m motorhome so must be your dates.

May 2, 2014
Washington
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 584DL
Exp
17 years + 35 tugging
Last year at end of July cost us about £320. Was looking earlier this year and as far as I remember it wasn't too much more.
This year paying about £150 (Brittany Ferries) Newhaven to Dieppe - end of July.

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
DFDS from Newcastle has went through the roof in recent years, we’ve used it a few times in the past due to our destination being northern Germany. Back then it was comparable with the Hull crossing, now it’s over double the price no matter when you travel.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
Start of school hol prices, innit?
Missus has been looking for flights to Lithuania for her TKR as they've given her a couple of dates within the next month. Flight prices from Edinburgh and Glasgow doubled yesterday, probably due to the Scottish school holidays, John Lennon Airport it is then !

Apr 1, 2024
Bolton
Funster No
MH
Hobby T500 LHD
Exp
Spring 2024
To avoid any misunderstanding:

Hull-Rotterdam is P&O Ferries (I will not touch them given the way they treated their crews)
Newhaven-Dieppe is DFDS (My preferred choice for value for money)

Chris

BikerGraham

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 19, 2021
Newcastle upon Tyne, UK
Funster No
MH
Autograph 75-2
Exp
camping and caravanning since a kid. New to motorhomes
Guess it must be your dates, and the commodore cabin! We were £620 for 2 of us , outside cabin, 7m Motorhome last week. Very pleasant and very efficient loading/unloading.
Depends who you get. Went over recently on motorbikes.
On way out they delayed offloading by about 45 minutes then breathalysed every motorbike. Needed to change our plans for first night due to late get away. They had also been very slow loading at North Shields.

On way back, as there were around 200-300 motorbikes (many heading to Isle of Man ) glad no breathalyser but only one booth open for the bikes. So still very way slow.
On loading in Ijmuiden the loader tried to guide me so close to the wall the bike wouldn’t go on the side stand. After struggling to get straps located the loader came back and said that they had told me to go into a different lane. Bloody bare faced liar. Very frustrating. We had a discussion on their honesty

Unfortunately am booked on the route again in September. With the van this time though.

By the way we all passed the breathalyser. Well all the bikes did 😳😳 as very sensible people us bikers 😂😂

BikerGraham

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 19, 2021
Newcastle upon Tyne, UK
Funster No
MH
Autograph 75-2
Exp
camping and caravanning since a kid. New to motorhomes
DFDS from Newcastle has went through the roof in recent years, we’ve used it a few times in the past due to our destination being northern Germany. Back then it was comparable with the Hull crossing, now it’s over double the price no matter when you travel.
True it’s expensive now compared to 2 or 3 years ago.

May 2, 2014
Washington
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 584DL
Exp
17 years + 35 tugging
To avoid any misunderstanding:

Hull-Rotterdam is P&O Ferries (I will not touch them given the way they treated their crews)
Newhaven-Dieppe is DFDS (My preferred choice for value for money)

Chris
I agree about P&O scum. On the other hand it depends where you live as to whether there are any other sensible choices.

JnJ

Mar 15, 2019
South Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend
Exp
We came from Harwich to Hook of Holland yesterday £202 return. Ferry wasn't even half full, in fact it's a very long time since we have been on a ferry this quiet in June.

Jul 5, 2020
Southampton, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido 696F
Exp
4yrs
Last year at end of July cost us about £320. Was looking earlier this year and as far as I remember it wasn't too much more.
This year paying about £150 (Brittany Ferries) Newhaven to Dieppe - end of July.
Brittany don't do Newhaven / Dieppe

Mick and Ruth

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 10, 2017
Wybunbury, Cheshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Apache 634 Hi Line
Exp
Since 2019
Hi Trev, hope your both well mate. I’ve just booked return Harwich to Hook of Holland £360 return with outside cabin as have dog with us through CAMC. It was about £65 better than the ferry’s website and did the same for Ireland and that was the same about £65 better. So even though I don’t use CAMC that much it has paid for the membership and will book tunnel through them for winter trip.

Feb 27, 2022
Oldham, UK
Funster No
MH
Elddis Chatsworth
Exp
Caravanning for 20 years MH from 2022
We are returning from Rotterdam on 29 June to Hull - 7.5m, two adults, inside cabin for £350. It’s a one way as having to travel from Harwich on Wednesday as I left it too late to get on the outbound crossing we wanted from Hull. Suspect the football Euros in part!! The outbound crossing was £215.

OldAgeTravellers

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 6, 2014
Telford, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1970
We came from Harwich to Hook of Holland yesterday £202 return. Ferry wasn't even half full, in fact it's a very long time since we have been on a ferry this quiet in June.
Hi JnJ, That doesn’t sound bad, as we live in the East Midlands we thought about going back that way to save quite a bit of driving when we finish our Norwegian tour at the end of August. What is the ferry like, how long, what size van etc.
Thanks

Jun 12, 2016
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Globecar Revolution
Exp
Since 2006
EuroTrotters had a look at you price and thought it was not a lot more than we had payed for September (booked last year). and we do go for the nicer cabins
I then realized that was just one way you had priced :oops:
If any of the home teams are still in the euros by that stage someone will pay?

The Newcastle crossing is my ferry of choice. It suits where we want to go etc but that price is taking the P

Oct 24, 2019
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Caracompact 600 MEG
Exp
5 years
Hull - Rotterdam return with upgrade to outside cabin leaving late August £474 booked via caravan and motorhome club

JnJ

Mar 15, 2019
South Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend
Exp
Hi JnJ, That doesn’t sound bad, as we live in the East Midlands we thought about going back that way to save quite a bit of driving when we finish our Norwegian tour at the end of August. What is the ferry like, how long, what size van etc.
Thanks
Great ferry plenty of seating areas decent priced cafeteria. There were loads of hgvs and a couple of coaches but deck was only half full. We are just under 8m with bikes on back. It's a 7 hour day time crossing, never done the night one. We've used it several times and overnight before/after at Bricklayers Arms in Little Bentley.(now charge £15 if you don't use pub)

OP
OP
EuroTrotters
Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Spain + Abu Dhabi
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
EuroTrotters had a look at you price and thought it was not a lot more than we had payed for September (booked last year). and we do go for the nicer cabins
I then realized that was just one way you had priced :oops:
If any of the home teams are still in the euros by that stage someone will pay?

The Newcastle crossing is my ferry of choice. It suits where we want to go etc but that price is taking the P
Yes, considering we paid £580 return August 2020. Then with the vouchers we bought, saved a fortune on a Swiss site and it brought the cost down to £380 return with premium cabin.

I’ve not used Dover or Eurotunnel routes for about 15 years, but based on cost, I have had to.

Dover - Calais £100 less Tesco £20 = £80
Calais Folkestone £212 less £37 CAMC discount £175

So £255 return

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back