All season/winter tyres

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
problem with them on driving wheels if fwd is most people would lose the back at the first ice or snow

because they front wil be doing just that ,sliding ,or 'understeer' if the best/new ones are on the front then it will grip & when you lose the back it will just do a 180 or 360 with most drivers
Snow and ice are two different things. Winter tyres will help get some grip in snow. It’s particularly the drive wheels you want the grip on to get you going (not saying they won’t help on the back as well but if you can’t get moving you don’t need to worry about the rear end sliding out). It’s common in snow to see a stationary vehicle with a wheel spinning and no grip? I say a wheel as the diff generally causes one to spin whilst the other stays still unless you have diff lock.
Even winter tyres won’t help you on black or compacted ice unless of course you have studs or chains to dig into it. Once you start sliding on ice you’re in the lap of the gods.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Hobby Optima T70 HQ
I suppose it depends how and where you store them when not in use. (as well as when they're on the van) UV is a big factor....so washed, dried and placed in the back of a pitch black garage for 4 months won't really be aging them.
Same here but I also reduce the pressure when stored so they maintain their shape. 3 bar from 5.2bar when fitted.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Hobby Optima T70 HQ
Snow and ice are two different things. Winter tyres will help get some grip in snow. It’s particularly the drive wheels you want the grip on to get you going (not saying they won’t help on the back as well but if you can’t get moving you don’t need to worry about the rear end sliding out). It’s common in snow to see a stationary vehicle with a wheel spinning and no grip? I say a wheel as the diff generally causes one to spin whilst the other stays still unless you have diff lock.
Even winter tyres won’t help you on black or compacted ice unless of course you have studs or chains to dig into it. Once you start sliding on ice you’re in the lap of the gods.
Winter tyres do help on ice but I agree that studded are better for ice.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Hobby Optima T70 HQ
Just had a question pop into my head: given recommendation is to change MH tyres every five years, how does that play out if you’re swapping summer/winter tyres for a third of the year?

My tyres now are standard summer tyres, plenty of tread, but all now over 6 years old. I am also planning to go into the Alps skiing in Feb for the first time. Plan was 3PMSF All-Season (plus snow chains), but a friend convinced my better half we should have Winter Tyres. So, now I’m looking at 4 Winter tyres; 4 new summer tyres (or all-season); snow chains plus the cost to swap them over twice a year 😱! And as per my question, I’ve suddenly just though I might need replace every 5 years!
Winter tyres are the best choice for the alps in winter.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Hobby Optima T70 HQ
problem with them on driving wheels if fwd is most people would lose the back at the first ice or snow

because they front wil be doing just that ,sliding ,or 'understeer' if the best/new ones are on the front then it will grip & when you lose the back it will just do a 180 or 360 with most drivers
Yes I agree. New tyres should go on the back for front wheel drive and on the front for rear wheel drive....unless you are buying 4 of course.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975

I'm glad I'm not 'most drivers'! 😄

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Yes. I'd seek advice from some other firms as well as LK...they may be trying to sell what they can make the most profit on ? (But I'd also check with the manufacturer that the size you fancy can actually be fitted)
Have e-mailed both LK and Wheelbase alloys for more info.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
I am really at a loss as to why anyone would think to buy two winter tyres then put them on the rear of a front wheel drive vehicle leaving the front steering and drive wheels with potential lesser grip at a time when you’d need more???

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Back