All season/winter tyres

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line I 50
Exp
Since 2009
I'm not really that interested in the effect that having winter tyres on one axle and summer tyres on the other has. I much prefer to stick to Cross Climate or All Seasons tyres. Those with the M+S and 3PMSF symbol, also known as the Alpine symbol, which indicates that the tyre has been certified as safe to use in snow and safely in other conditions.

Last edited:
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Globecar Revolution
Exp
Since 2006
I'm not really that interested in the effect that having winter tyres on one axle and summer tyres on the other has. I much prefer to stick to Cross Climate or All Seasons tyres. Those with the M+S and 3PMSF symbol, also known as the Alpine symbol, which indicates that the tyre has been certified as safe to use in snow and safely in other conditions.
I would think for most people it's a good option.
There will always be exceptions
They are not as good as either summer or winter but most drivers are not pushing there cars close to the level that it makes a difference.
There are some on here that are interested in "the effect that having winter tyres on one axle and summer tyres on the other has." or we wouldn't be mentioning it.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975

Yesterday in the rain, I did my own experiment, I had fitted a couple of spare rims with the highly recommended (on here,) Falken Euroall Van II tyres on my front axle of my 2007 Fiat Ducato PVC while leaving my originally fitted Michelin M&S CP tyres on the rear.
Then drove from Colchester to Yarmouth via Wymondham through country roads and fast dual carriageway.

The conclusion I came to was, that I thought the Falken was slightly noisier, the ride no better but the braking in the wet much improved!

PS. I did try a couple of times in the wet to get the rear to step out (remember I did tour Australia for 6 months back in the 80's with an International renown French Stunt team, so I do know how to do these things 😄) but without success!
( No I didn't try a handbrake turn but I'll try with yours if you make it available 🤣)

I will be leaving this configuration on my PCV to do more testing in the snow & ice (if it comes) and then fitting more Falkens to my other 2 spare rims if necessary! 🤔

Then I will have a 2 full sets of both winter and summer tyres.

Last edited:
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
I would think for most people it's a good option.
There will always be exceptions
They are not as good as either summer or winter but most drivers are not pushing there cars close to the level that it makes a difference.
There are some on here that are interested in "the effect that having winter tyres on one axle and summer tyres on the other has." or we wouldn't be mentioning it.

My main interest is, that if I change to full Falkens today, I would virtually HAVE to give away £400 worth of perfectly good Michelin S&M CP tyres because they are on 15inch rims.

I would much prefer to wear them out by using them in the next few summers!
(Unless someone wants to make me a very reasonable offer of course? 😄)

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Globecar Revolution
Exp
Since 2006
My main interest is, that if I change to full Falkens today, I would virtually HAVE to give away £400 worth of perfectly good Michelin S&M CP tyres because they are on 15inch rims.

I didn't put my van onto all seasons till I was needing to replace the tyres anyway.
Car it was different I had a set of rims and used winters that were the wrong size. They got sold and the money bought a set of decent rims for the new car.
By the time we get around to replacing the car both sets of tyres will be past there best.
We have somewhere to store the wheels and change them over.
It's not the answer for most though.
If we do get a winter with a lot of snow there are now a lot more working people that can do there stuff remotely and don't need to be out driving.
If we get snow this winter there will be folk out there with their 4x4s with their wide low profile tyres wondering why they can't get going or stop.
Most winters it just rains for weeks on end.:cold:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Ixeo 1744
Exp
I’m newbie
Personally, I would sell the driver, I was taught to drive Double Decker buses, without power steering, on skid pans. ,whatever did we do in the days before the MOT when bald tyres were not unusual?😱

But, as they say, horses for courses! 😄
Actually Owen you do look like stan from on the buses😂😂😂

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Lived on the Pennines around 1200 feet up for many years. Ran a diesel fiesta and put snow tyres on the front drive wheels every winter (never the rear). One heavy snow heading home, I passed the Calderdale moorland rescue vehicle on a call out to a woman giving birth, stuck in the snow? Got home and returned with the tractor and pulled them out. Not saying snow tyres wouldn’t be better all round, but on something front wheel drive you can generally manage quite well with two.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Ford Transit Custom
Interesting thread!

So, I had a nasty black ice crash many years ago. I’m a sporty driver and hadn’t been pushing st all and went sideways in a car I’d only recently put new tyres on. Three flips and onto the hedge I went, AWD Subaru too.

The replacement newer Scooby got a set of Pirelli Sotto zero II. Astounding tyres. On snowy roads the car was still doing 4.5 second 0-60 and braking and steering well too. Had two sets of wheels so the Bridgestone RE90 O.E. Specs only went on for Summer.ive used Winter/All Seasons since and use them on my Current Fiesta ST too.

For my Transit Custom campervan, I just upgraded to 18” wheels and they came with half worn tyres. Winter is coming so now looking to swap tyres for decent ones and most of the ones I want aren’t available in 18”! Shouldn’t have sold the 16” originals… doh. First world issues really. Shouldn’t really get too worried as my van doesn’t leave the drive in the winter. If I need to go anywhere, hotels are preferable!

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Just looking

I have 15" rims but going over to 16" soon with Falken van01 tyres.
My15" still have good tread left so will use them in the winter when we don't get away but it's still not everyday drive.
Is that an option for you?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Kevin R

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
5th Wheeler Glendale
Exp
Since 2002
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Chausson S697
Winter tyres are mandatory between October and Easter, even areas that rarely see snow.
I think you'd have to expand on that somewhat.....I'm in mid France. My dept do not make them mandatory, the departments that do, clearly state that you can also use normal tyres but MUST also carry snow chains or tyre socks.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
I have 15" rims but going over to 16" soon with Falken van01 tyres.
My15" still have good tread left so will use them in the winter when we don't get away but it's still not everyday drive.
Is that an option for you?
I have been fairly happy with my 5yr old Michelin CP tyres except on wet grass and as I use my van as a daily driver as well, I was just looking for something better on said grass. Snow and Ice will be a bonus. 🤞

I hope my 2 £115 Falkens will be worth it? 🤔

PS. Why are you going to the expense of fitting 16", do you think it's worth it? 🤔

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Back