All season/winter tyres

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line I 50
Exp
Since 2009
I'm not really that interested in the effect that having winter tyres on one axle and summer tyres on the other has. I much prefer to stick to Cross Climate or All Seasons tyres. Those with the M+S and 3PMSF symbol, also known as the Alpine symbol, which indicates that the tyre has been certified as safe to use in snow and safely in other conditions.

Last edited:
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Globecar Revolution
Exp
Since 2006
I'm not really that interested in the effect that having winter tyres on one axle and summer tyres on the other has. I much prefer to stick to Cross Climate or All Seasons tyres. Those with the M+S and 3PMSF symbol, also known as the Alpine symbol, which indicates that the tyre has been certified as safe to use in snow and safely in other conditions.
I would think for most people it's a good option.
There will always be exceptions
They are not as good as either summer or winter but most drivers are not pushing there cars close to the level that it makes a difference.
There are some on here that are interested in "the effect that having winter tyres on one axle and summer tyres on the other has." or we wouldn't be mentioning it.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975

Yesterday in the rain, I did my own experiment, I had fitted a couple of spare rims with the highly recommended (on here,) Falken Euroall Van II tyres on my front axle of my 2007 Fiat Ducato PVC while leaving my originally fitted Michelin M&S CP tyres on the rear.
Then drove from Colchester to Yarmouth via Wymondham through country roads and fast dual carriageway.

The conclusion I came to was, that I thought the Falken was slightly noisier, the ride no better but the braking in the wet much improved!

PS. I did try a couple of times in the wet to get the rear to step out (remember I did tour Australia for 6 months back in the 80's with an International renown French Stunt team, so I do know how to do these things 😄) but without success!
( No I didn't try a handbrake turn but I'll try with yours if you make it available 🤣)

I will be leaving this configuration on my PCV to do more testing in the snow & ice (if it comes) and then fitting more Falkens to my other 2 spare rims if necessary! 🤔

Then I will have a 2 full sets of both winter and summer tyres.

Last edited:
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
I would think for most people it's a good option.
There will always be exceptions
They are not as good as either summer or winter but most drivers are not pushing there cars close to the level that it makes a difference.
There are some on here that are interested in "the effect that having winter tyres on one axle and summer tyres on the other has." or we wouldn't be mentioning it.

My main interest is, that if I change to full Falkens today, I would virtually HAVE to give away £400 worth of perfectly good Michelin S&M CP tyres because they are on 15inch rims.

I would much prefer to wear them out by using them in the next few summers!
(Unless someone wants to make me a very reasonable offer of course? 😄)

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Globecar Revolution
Exp
Since 2006
My main interest is, that if I change to full Falkens today, I would virtually HAVE to give away £400 worth of perfectly good Michelin S&M CP tyres because they are on 15inch rims.

I would much prefer to wear them out by using them in the next few summers!
(Unless someone wants to make me a very reasonable offer of course? 😄)
I didn't put my van onto all seasons till I was needing to replace the tyres anyway.
Car it was different I had a set of rims and used winters that were the wrong size. They got sold and the money bought a set of decent rims for the new car.
By the time we get around to replacing the car both sets of tyres will be past there best.
We have somewhere to store the wheels and change them over.
It's not the answer for most though.
If we do get a winter with a lot of snow there are now a lot more working people that can do there stuff remotely and don't need to be out driving.
If we get snow this winter there will be folk out there with their 4x4s with their wide low profile tyres wondering why they can't get going or stop.
Most winters it just rains for weeks on end.:cold:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Back