Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Oct 23, 2017
Cambridgeshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner 747 - 2
Exp
Since 2007
Can anyone give advice for a Burstner 747-2 Alde Heating system on roughly how much fluid it holds . I need to drain and refill?

OP
OP
Donkster
Oct 23, 2017
Cambridgeshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner 747 - 2
Exp
Since 2007
IMG_3411.jpeg
IMG_3411.jpeg

Upvote 0
Jan 11, 2022
Funster No
MH
Pilote P732 2011
Exp
3rd Time around, since 2000
No vids but pictures are ok

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Jan 2, 2023
Cheltenham
Funster No
MH
Swift Bolero 684FB
Exp
Since 1998
I would be interested if any others take on the fluid change.
Well done a job well done
I changed the fluid in my Motorhome last year luckily I’m a heating engineer and I have a Solar thermal filling system which I connected to the flow and return pipe work below the header tank completely drained the system flushed with clean water drained again and refilled with the correct antifreeze the advantage of the solar filling system is that you just leave it running this removed all the air completely
I was tempted to use the same fluid I use in the solar systems same colour and smell and much cheaper but decided against it and purchased the correct type from euro car parts

Upvote 0
Nov 22, 2018
Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey 68-2
Exp
Since 2019
I’ve only just signed up, so apologies if this is somewhat late, but for anyone else considering doing this job an alternative to a pump is to use a wet and dry vacuum cleaner to suck all the old liquid out. That’s what I did when changing the fluid on our Bailey 68-2 earlier this year. It needed about 10 litres.

Upvote 0
May 7, 2017
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Chausson 788
Exp
20 years
If the fluid is antifreeze, you can test the strength with a hydrometer, I have never changed the antifreeze on my old Volvo XC60 not ever on a fleet of Volvo trucks they all had alloy fittings and some pipes never had a problem, we had a caravan with Alde system I did top it up a little once

Upvote 0

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
If the fluid is antifreeze, you can test the strength with a hydrometer, I have never changed the antifreeze on my old Volvo XC60 not ever on a fleet of Volvo trucks they all had alloy fittings and some pipes never had a problem, we had a caravan with Alde system I did top it up a little once
I get what you are saying Tony, and I do carry a bottle of the G13 concentrate for topping up. However, whilst able to check the strength of the glycol's coolant/antifreezing properties, how do you check the levels of corrosion inhibitors? A genuine question BTW.

Cheers,

Jock. :)

Upvote 0
May 7, 2017
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Chausson 788
Exp
20 years
I get what you are saying Tony, and I do carry a bottle of the G13 concentrate for topping up. However, whilst able to check the strength of the glycol's coolant/antifreezing properties, how do you check the levels of corrosion inhibitors? A genuine question BTW.

Cheers,

Jock. :)
I don't know, all I know is my 14 year old Volvo XC60 has never been drained, very infrequently a little antifreeze has been added, little I mean a cupful, where the loss is due to What I call normal, so very little oxygen is induced, so I assume that corrosion is not a problem, the other thing is when the Poster said I'd rather do it myself , as I know it will be done properly if you have had no training , how do you know it's done properly ? I was told on my Aldi system top up if necessary when I had a caravan, but there you go.
As a side issue by the way I'll buy a new car when I'm convinced the fuel of the future is finalised, I don't think Electric is it.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Donkster
Oct 23, 2017
Cambridgeshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner 747 - 2
Exp
Since 2007
I did research how it’s done checking the equipment Alde use, and built my own that pumps fluid around the heating system. Not much to learn really. This includes watching a video that bob earnshaw released on YouTube of an Alde engineer doing a full heating flush. I enjoyed the challenge and got job satisfaction. Knowledge is gained sometimes by having a go 🤠

Upvote 0
Apr 10, 2010
Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since Sept 2003
I have had Truma for years but now with Alde, there is no comparison. It is a pity that it cannot be fitted to existing vehicles.
A few years ago I asked an Alde technician (at a motorhome show) about retro-fitting their system to my Frankia, which had blown air. He said he'd always wanted to try doing that and we had a brief discussion about collaborating on the project, but I never took it any further.

Upvote 0
Apr 10, 2010
Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since Sept 2003
I had my heating fluid changed by Alde at their premises in Wellingborough, which I thought was good value, especially as they checked the system and boiler over in the course of doing the change.

While I was waiting in their training room I noticed these plaques on the wall, which I think explain Alde's excellent service.

IMG_0100.jpeg

IMG_0099.jpeg

IMG_0098.jpeg

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Apr 26, 2015
Ottershaw
Funster No
MH
Hymer S820
Exp
First motorhome May 2021
I had my heating fluid changed by Alde at their premises in Wellingborough, which I thought was good value, especially as they checked the system and boiler over in the course of doing the change.

While I was waiting in their training room I noticed these plaques on the wall, which I think explain Alde's excellent service.

View attachment 914725

View attachment 914726

View attachment 914727
Almost straight out of Dale Carnegie's "How to win friends and influence people" written in 1936 but still very relevant today in dealing with people, whether in business or just generally. (y)

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back