Airbag ECU faults on Peugeot motorhomes (6 Viewers)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Jun 4, 2020
Essex
Funster No
MH
Bailey AA79-4T
Exp
Since 2019
I’ve been reading of many people having these faults and whereby Crashdata appear to be able to correct some of the faults, certainly it was a temporary fix in our previous Bailey 765 the fux only lasted a few months!!

I was just wondering, with our motorhomes having ability to turn round the drivers and passengers seats, could this be a major cause of these faults occurring?

We don’t seem to get Peugeot Boxer van owners complaining about aurbag failures as much as motorhome owners!

Any comments welcome.

Feb 5, 2022
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Possl 2 win
Exp
40 years
In my humble opinion, I think your normal Peugeot van owner uses his van a lot more than campervan/motorhomes and thus the van doesn’t stand around a lot doing nothing! In this “stand” time the battery voltage can drop maybe causing the airbag fault!

Jan 25, 2022
Funster No
MH
Elddis
Our ecu went on a Peugeot base Oct '23.
It's fitted with a Fiat air bag ecu which was replaced. You only get a 1 year warranty on it though, 2 years if replaced on a Fiat based vehicle.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
We don’t seem to get Peugeot Boxer van owners complaining about aurbag failures as much as motorhome owners!
If you look on the Fiat forums there are quite a few fault reports on vans.

Most vans are company owned so if it goes wrong it gets fixed and no one starts posting on forums about it.

Best to get a new ECU the repairs generally don't last.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 24, 2024
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph
Hi Ray D
A few years ago, I had the same fault, after quite a bit of research, I found what I believe could potentially be the answer, I'm not saying it is the answer but it's the best I found.
It seems a lot of the passenger airbag ECU problems stem from over voltage basically frying a chip or two within the ECU. Companies like Crashdata can reprogram the chip if the chip has been corrupted from a small over voltage, basically like a reset of the chip and that will be as good as new. However, if the chip or chips have suffered a major over voltage, mine suffered a 14.76v going through it, frying my chips and a new one required.
Electricity flows in pulses, when my ECU warning light came on, it was when I started the engine, the light wasn't on when the ignition was on and I was setting the sat nav up but the moment I turned the key and started the engine the light came on. At that point, it was a sunny day, solar panel on and my EHU was still plugged in, my theory being, when I started my engine, at the exact same time I caught an electrical pulse coming from my solar panel controller, my EHU and also my alternator, hence frying my ECU.
Since this happened to me, I have added a electrical switch to turn off the solar panel as my Bailey Autograph didn't have any way of isolating the solar panel.
Now before I start my motorhome, I isolate the solar panel and disconnect my EHU, so the only voltage going into the ECU is from the van itself which it is designed to cope with. I've not had any problems since, it kind of makes sence as Peugeot, Fiat and Iveco delivery vans don't have solar panels and EHU fitted, hence they don't suffer the same fault that often.
Like I said before, it may not be the answer but it all made sense to me and I've had no problems since.
Hope this helps.

Feb 20, 2017
Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey 75-2
Exp
Tugger now Motorhome
I have done this mod:
FB_IMG_1684409315457.jpg

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun