Air fryer or oven (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Jun 2, 2023
Funster No
MH
Dreamer Fun Camper 5
Our new-to-us moho has no oven. Old van had 'proper' Thetford 3-ring/grill/oven cooker, which was regularly used to the full. How do other funsters manage with typical European galley configuration?

Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
We are in the same boat. We are looking to get a new van and this topic is exactly what we can't decide on either. We love the oven, and don't currently have an inverter. So the new van would have to install one. I honestly think it's a good idea however, the wife and I are nearly 50 years old and therefore we don't like changes :) But I think that's the way we are going.
You should be ashamed of yourselves with talk like that and you haven’t reached 50 yet! I’m 65 and still in my prime(OK in my head anyway) , loving new adventures and trying new things. My new kitchen has all sorts of fancy things in it that I now love, I thought I was manning a spacecraft to start with.

You can’t start thinking like that at not even 50, you have over half your adult years left with a bit of luck. Go on be a devil, have fun, buy a Vango sizzle or Remoska or an air fryer. Otherwise you’ll be living on beans on toast or corned beef hash.

Upvote 0

Steve and Denise

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2011
Spalding LINCS
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago
Exp
Since 2008
Not sure why the rush to ditch gas as a camping energy.

1kg of propane provides approx 14Kw, so a 13kg bottle is huge.

Also a little gas use is marginal compared to the diesel use for propulsion?
I like LPG and have refillable bottles, we did have a choice of 4 places local to us but 3 have now gone! So needs must diesel (kerosene) heater fitted lots of solar and lithium air fryer compressor fridge, but if I was rich I would buy Calor gas exchange bottles and make Calor even richer🤣

Upvote 0
Dec 2, 2019
South Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065+
Exp
Broken most bits now
Sink or shower - apples or pears - oven or air fryer - different horses for different courses. We use the gas oven off grid and the air fryer as much as possible when on EHU. We only have 200Ah of low grade electricity rather than the gold plated Lithium variety and with 360W if solar we'd struggle to power our tiny air fryer for anything more than snacks

Upvote 1
Oct 21, 2021
New Zealand
Funster No
MH
Mutsubis fuso/canter
Exp
5 years
I would say you are leaning towards an 'air fryer'. Microwave ovens are no good for cooking, I don't care what anyone says, they are only good for reheating. I know there are millions of recipes for cooking in a microwave, but if you enjoy good food don't bother.
I spent over $6000 (NZ) on a complete lithium install, so I could reheat my baked beans in the microwave... :wasntme:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Excuse my ignorance, but is an air fryer not a fan assisted oven?

That said, for MH applications they may be a good idea if no oven is fitted?
It is but the fan is far more powerful and with the cavity being quite small it cooks food faster than a fan oven.
First thing I did was put some ovenproof paper in the drip tray to make cleaning easier..... Big mistake, it was blowing around like a kite in a storm.

Upvote 0
Oct 28, 2022
Funster No
MH
Rapido
I like LPG and have refillable bottles, we did have a choice of 4 places local to us but 3 have now gone! So needs must diesel (kerosene) heater fitted lots of solar and lithium air fryer compressor fridge, but if I was rich I would buy Calor gas exchange bottles and make Calor even richer🤣
Still many LPG/autogas outlets? Many taxis swear by it.

I fill up as and when passing, or use local Flogas depot, or even Brownhills have a pump (although they are charging £1.20 a litre). I understand Marquis too?

Upvote 0
Mar 12, 2021
Renfrew Scotland
Funster No
MH
kontiki sport
Exp
20 years tugging .5 years MOH.
We use a 900w air fryer, low wattage induction hob and a toaster which can all be used from the inverter ( one at a time). Those combined with the 3 ring gas hob and the Cadac 2 cook pro are more than sufficient for our requirements.
You could cater for weddings with all that kit.😂😂

Upvote 0
Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Simple, nutritious, and easy to prepare. What's not to like.
I do like both on occasion you’re right. I think I’m in a state of over excitement at the moment as we are picking our new van up a week tomorrow, only 8 sleeps. I’m like a kid at Christmas. The new van with lithium and diesel heating came about on an impulse really as we’re off to Iceland next year for 6 weeks and they have no lpg pumps.

Yes I know we could have spent a few grand on our IH630RD but where’s the fun in that when our dream Consort Oslo suddenly appeared to be available on the 9 speed Auto with guaranteed Summer availability! Ordered on 17th May.

LPG is in short supply near us, a tank will last a year now I expect, I hate the one at Podimore if I forget to fill on our way home.

Upvote 0
May 24, 2022
Funster No
MH
Converted VW Crafter
You should be ashamed of yourselves with talk like that and you haven’t reached 50 yet! I’m 65 and still in my prime(OK in my head anyway) , loving new adventures and trying new things. My new kitchen has all sorts of fancy things in it that I now love, I thought I was manning a spacecraft to start with.

You can’t start thinking like that at not even 50, you have over half your adult years left with a bit of luck. Go on be a devil, have fun, buy a Vango sizzle or Remoska or an air fryer. Otherwise you’ll be living on beans on toast or corned beef hash.
This made me laugh, cheers. And of course you are absolutely right.

Upvote 1
OP
OP
S
Jun 2, 2023
Funster No
MH
Dreamer Fun Camper 5
Bit the bullet, bought the air fryer. First problem, where to store it? Bottom of the hanging locker the only option. First meal: french fries & pizza; chips were great, but had to be kept warm while the pizzas cooked. Pizza base stuck to the mesh shelf... Foil on 'em next time.

BTW we're 66/75: old dogs learning new tricks all the time. Now need to get to grips with the compressor fridge, and how to keep it alive for more than a few hours on battery. Think the LA batteries are buggered...

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Decided against an oven in the new van and bought a 1400 watt air fryer I've fitted 460ah of lithium & a 3000va inverter.

Tried the air fryer with chips at home it was as good as our Ninja Foodie.
Used it for the first time in the van we normally cook from scratch but daughter and grandkids with us (they are in a tent). Cooked a frozen salmon wellington in it had to cut in in half to get it in, it cooked perfectly.

Don't. Like microwaved cooked food so that was never a consideration.

Upvote 0
Apr 26, 2015
Ottershaw
Funster No
MH
Hymer S820
Exp
First motorhome May 2021
Did you change the cooking time for the Salmon from the instructions Lenny?

Upvote 0

hja

May 8, 2020
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit Prim
Exp
Since 2019
Bit the bullet, bought the air fryer. First problem, where to store it? Bottom of the hanging locker the only option. First meal: french fries & pizza; chips were great, but had to be kept warm while the pizzas cooked. Pizza base stuck to the mesh shelf... Foil on 'em next time.

BTW we're 66/75: old dogs learning new tricks all the time. Now need to get to grips with the compressor fridge, and how to keep it alive for more than a few hours on battery. Think the LA batteries are buggered...
We installed lithium to ensure our compressor fridge was fine (plus solar already there)

Upvote 0
Nov 14, 2018
Europe
Funster No
MH
A grey one
Exp
since 1996
Inside the van I would prefer a Remoska (yes I know it's not an oven) over Air Fryer (our Ninja Air Fryer stinks of fat so only use outside the van)
We never put fat/oil in the air fryer. If its something like chips we use that low calorie spray stuff, loads of salt, pepper, paprika etc. mix it in a bowl before hand, bung it in than a quick squirt with the low cal stuff every now and then, lovely! And no stink.

Upvote 0
Nov 14, 2018
Europe
Funster No
MH
A grey one
Exp
since 1996
I not a fan of ovens in a van. Previosly only ever had LHD so nearly all had no oven. Only ever had one a Burstner 747 and used it once. Our new PVC has got one, so it has one. Its been used once, I suspect that will be the only time.

Upvote 0
Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
These mini ovens are really good and only 650w (at 220v) excellent for baked potatoes, pies and even part baked rolls, had it 2 years now and use it most days. I don't use it in the van as no lithium and the Thetford gas oven works well anyway.

Screenshot_20240729_044250_eBay.jpg

Upvote 0

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Air Fryer, every time. Take it home and put it in the dishwasher from time to time. With an induction hob, electric kettle, micro, toaster and air fryer, life is flexible to the extreme.

And it all uses free power.

Tony
Not entirely free as you have to buy the batteries, solar and inverter etc to supply it .

Upvote 0
May 23, 2021
Beds.
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Harmony
Exp
Since 2021...
We use this conversion chart at home, we find it pretty reliable.

Attachments

• Slimming-Eats-OVEN-TO-AIR-FRYER-conversions.pdf
    958.9 KB · Views: 38
Upvote 0

Cal54

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2014
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
Leisuredrive Renoir
Exp
Since 1996
I’ve had a Ramoska in the van for years but have now ditched that for a small air fryer. I like the fact that there is a temperature control and timer on the air fryer which my Ramoska doesn’t have. Love my bacon sandwich in the morning!
I only have a little 5 metre van which is my sole vehicle and the air fryer just sits in the wardrobe when travelling.
At home I have a Ninja and since getting it my induction hob has hardly been used!!

Upvote 0

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Carthago I 143 LE
Exp
Since 2016
Decided against an oven in the new van and bought a 1400 watt air fryer I've fitted 460ah of lithium & a 3000va inverter.

Tried the air fryer with chips at home it was as good as our Ninja Foodie.
Used it for the first time in the van we normally cook from scratch but daughter and grandkids with us (they are in a tent). Cooked a frozen salmon wellington in it had to cut in in half to get it in, it cooked perfectly.

Don't. Like microwaved cooked food so that was never a consideration.
We don't have oven either, what air fryer did you get, our little 2.2l 1000w is OK but a bit small.

Cooked the lasagne and garlic bread in the remoska last night.

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
We don't have oven either, what air fryer did you get, our little 2.2l 1000w is OK but a bit small.
A Daewoo Manual one only 35 quid in Robert Dyas, quite impressed with it. It's 1400 watt, 4 Lt.

Upvote 0
Nov 26, 2014
Never on the wrong road ......
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2014, before that 20 years of boating & caravanning
We have a seperate Thetford oven,but have recently bought an air fryer (oven type not draw) it has made the gas oven redundant,it's quicker ,can be used outside and usually runs on free solar electricity
I'm just researching getting a small air fryer for the motorhome & have no previous experience of air fryers - what are the benefits of the "oven" type as opposed to the "drawer" type?
Thanks
Elaine

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
I'm just researching getting a small air fryer for the motorhome & have no previous experience of air fryers - what are the benefits of the "oven" type as opposed to the "drawer" type?
Thanks
Elaine
We looked at the oven type nice idea but decided the lattice aluminium shelves they have would be a nightmare to clean in the Motorhome.

Upvote 0
Apr 26, 2015
Ottershaw
Funster No
MH
Hymer S820
Exp
First motorhome May 2021
what are the benefits of the "oven" type as opposed to the "drawer" type?
Oven types have shelves so you can lay your food out so not squashed up in a basket also you can cook one thing under another thing, they often have a rotisserie for even cooking of chickens and small joints.

Upvote 0
Jan 27, 2018
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
Airfryer for us 100% and I have two, one for home, one for away. We are relatively new to Mhoming, so only use EHU as not adventurous enough yet to off grid so not a problem. The original fitted oven is redundant apart for storage!🙄🤣 Been toying with having oven removed, anyone done this? 🤔
Leave it where it is, take the shelves out and use it as a cupboard, you may even be able to store your air fryer in it.

Upvote 0

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
As most of our cooking at home is done in our Philips air fryer, we bought a small 900w Tower air fryer to use on our van, which is big enough to do what we want in it for the two of us, although we do use our Thetford oven on our van a lot.

Upvote 0
Apr 26, 2015
Ottershaw
Funster No
MH
Hymer S820
Exp
First motorhome May 2021
We looked at the oven type nice idea but decided the lattice aluminium shelves they have would be a nightmare to clean in the Motorhome.
The shelves in my oven are non stick and are very easy to clean, wipe with a paper towel and into soapy water the same as you would with any pan, I use foil on the drip tray so I can just throw any fat away once it's conjealed.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back