AdBlue... anyone? (11 Viewers)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Apr 3, 2024
Funster No
MH
Fiat
Does anyone use AdBlue?

If you do, do you know how much benefit it provides?

It's injected into the exhaust, right, so it has no effect of the engine, performance or fuel economy whatsoever. It basically converts "some" nitrous oxides back into nitrogen and oxygen.

I just bought 10 litres for £33

That's more than twice the price of diesel... and it's two-thirds water. The other third is urea - urine... pee... wee-wee... I'm trying to use the less offensive words... it is actually dilute urine and I'm paying twice what I pay for diesel. And I have no idea how effective it is but I do know that I'll burn more diesel to haul 10Kg of dilute p*ss around. I must be mad.

What's annoyed me is that the spout wasn't long enough to open the anti-spill device in the filler so I had to make my own spout up. What a faff!

Even then, the spout isn't long enough to get the last 50cc from the container into the filler!

I don't think I'll be buying AdBlue on the road again.

Strikes me as the sort of thing the petro-chemical companies figure they can make a killing on and some dozy politician decides they can make their name on and in fact it does no good whatsoever. But I could be wrong - please enlighten me :)

Westbarn1

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 25, 2019
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Hymer BMC-T 600
Exp
I try to fill up with adblu at a garage point, it's easier. There is a garage close to where we are parked at the moment and the adblu fill is part of the pump dispense unit (I'll get a picture tomorrow, as I'm going to use it when we move on in the morning), alongside the petrol and diesel pumps and its 65p a litre.

Upvote 0
Jan 2, 2017
Buckinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2010
Does anyone use AdBlue?

It's injected into the exhaust, right, so it has no effect of the engine, performance or fuel economy whatsoever. It basically converts "some" nitrous oxides back into nitrogen and oxygen.

That's more than twice the price of diesel... and it's two-thirds water. The other third is urea - urine... pee... wee-wee... I'm trying to use the less offensive words... it is actually dilute urine and I'm paying twice what I pay for diesel. And I have no idea how effective it is but I do know that I'll burn more diesel to haul 10Kg of dilute p*ss around. I must be mad.

What's annoyed me is that the spout wasn't long enough to open the anti-spill device in the filler so I had to make my own spout up. What a faff!

Even then, the spout isn't long enough to get the last 50cc from the container into the filler!

Strikes me as the sort of thing the petro-chemical companies figure they can make a killing on and some dozy politician decides they can make their name on and in fact it does no good whatsoever. But I could be wrong - please enlighten me :)
It's a pain. When travelling in Europe I now try to use the forecourt pumps that dispense it. Cheaper than diesel.

Upvote 0
Oct 27, 2022
Funster No
MH
Consort PVC
I try to fill up with adblu at a garage point, it's easier. There is a garage close to where we are parked at the moment and the adblu fill is part of the pump dispense unit (I'll get a picture tomorrow, as I'm going to use it when we move on in the morning), alongside the petrol and diesel pumps and its 65p a litre.
How does the payment work ? You fill up with AdBlue and pay in the same way as you would for fuel ( either at pump or in shop ) ?
And does the pump click off when full ?

Upvote 0

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Carthago I 143 LE
Exp
Since 2016
Even Tesconwe paid £18 for 10l, got some at pump in morrisons at £1.45 a litre which was better as you can fill up easily like diesel

Upvote 0
Sep 25, 2023
Funster No
MH
Swift Sundance 590RS
Yeah but 10 litres of AdBlue will last considerably longer than 10 litres of diesel. The comparison in price isn’t relevant. You will get probably 3000 miles from that 10 litres. Wish I could get 3000 miles from 10 litres of diesel.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
R
Apr 3, 2024
Funster No
MH
Fiat
Yeah but 10 litres of AdBlue will last considerably longer than 10 litres of diesel. The comparison in price isn’t relevant. You will get probably 3000 miles from that 10 litres. Wish I could get 3000 miles from 10 litres of diesel.
"The comparison in price isn’t relevant."
Don't go into business, will you, my friend ;-)
Personally, I like a nice big margin with zero tax due... when I'm selling ;-)
I'll get 3,000 miles from the air I'll be burning - glad I don't have to pay for that... yet.

Upvote 0
May 16, 2023
Funster No
MH
Bailey Alliance 66-2
Screwfix, literally everywhere does same for £12-13 depending on day, and their warehouses are indoors so no UV light damage.
And Screwfix is within 5 miles of most mainland locations I've visited.

Upvote 0
Apr 12, 2013
Shrewsbury
Funster No
MH
Carthago 144
Exp
Is AdBlue made from sheep's urine?

Just to confirm, AdBlue is not animal urine, we've heard them all over the years, cow urine, pig urine, the craziest one was fish urine (we're still not sure exactly how you would harvest that). AdBlue is actually a high purity chemically produced carbamide solution dissolved in high purity de-ionised water.

Upvote 0
Jan 2, 2017
Buckinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2010

Just to confirm, AdBlue is not animal urine, we've heard them all over the years, cow urine, pig urine, the craziest one was fish urine (we're still not sure exactly how you would harvest that). AdBlue is actually a high purity chemically produced carbamide solution dissolved in high purity de-ionised water.
Synthetic, distilled essence of urine

Upvote 0
Aug 1, 2021
Pembrokeshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto-T Expedition 66
Does anyone use AdBlue?

At £3.30 a litre, I think you've been ripped off. In the UK from a forecourt pump it's less than £1 a litre. In Sweden, I've just topped ours up on a forecourt dispenser at less than 55p a litre.

If it reduces particulate emissions and correspondingly early deaths from airborne pollution and associated breathing difficulties, then I'm all for it.

My 2021 2.3 140hp Euro6 Ducato barely sips it. I can go 5,000 miles between top ups. It's a non issue - at least until part of the system fails. Then apparently it can get expensive!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
R
Apr 3, 2024
Funster No
MH
Fiat

... but carbamide is another name for urea? Which is a major component of urine? And it's about one-third urea, two-thirds water?
And it's injected into the exhaust... I've just had a thought as to how I can save on AdBlue AND avoid having to stop on long trips ;-)

Upvote 0
OP
OP
R
Apr 3, 2024
Funster No
MH
Fiat
At £3.30 a litre, I think you've been ripped off. In the UK from a forecourt pump it's less than £1 a litre. In Sweden, I've just topped ours up on a forecourt dispenser at less than 55p a litre.

If it reduces particulate emissions and correspondingly early deaths from airborne pollution and associated breathing difficulties, then I'm all for it.

My 2021 2.3 140hp Euro6 Ducato barely sips it. I can go 5,000 miles between top ups. It's a non issue - at least until part of the system fails. Then apparently it can get expensive!
I got 1,108 miles from my last 5 litres...

Upvote 0
Jan 2, 2017
Buckinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2010
I got 1,108 miles from my last 5 litres...
That's roughly in line with what I seem to be getting.

I think driving style affects it a bit, and I've been blasting along at motorway speeds, but it's been reasonably consistent - every 2,000 miles or so it starts warning me, and at that point it will take about 10 litres.

Upvote 0
Apr 17, 2016
Peterborough, Cambridgeshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic E Line
Exp
Since March 2004
... but carbamide is another name for urea? Which is a major component of urine? And it's about one-third urea, two-thirds water?
And it's injected into the exhaust... I've just had a thought as to how I can save on AdBlue AND avoid having to stop on long trips ;-)
Good luck with that one!!

Upvote 0

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend A
Exp
July 09
As per your earlier question I m fairly certain you "could" fill up that way but unsure if there is an automatic cut off 🤔

Upvote 0
Dec 2, 2019
Amersham
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2019
Does anyone use AdBlue?

All I can say is your own fault for buying at that price. Poor planning and accepting the shafting. You can rant all you want about it, uou wont get your money back. Next time buy a van without it, or plan better for better price. And please don't pee in your tank, it will cost you loads for a pump and atomiser, just buy the damn thing, 😅😅😅

Upvote 0
Aug 1, 2021
Pembrokeshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto-T Expedition 66
I understand that the Adblu tank on a Ducato is 19 litres capacity.

We bimble along. Avoid toll roads, rarely use motorways. Our Adblu usage is really meagre. Don't know if blatting along at 70mph on motorways increases consumption. I presume that it does. I fill up once in a while, when I see it cheap at a filling station. Never waited for the low Adblu warning to appear.

I suspect a combination of irregular use, short journeys, and high speed motorway dashes, all contribute to high Adblu usage.

As an aside, We've done just over 5,000 miles in the last 12 weeks. According to our trip computer I've averaged 36.1 mpg in our 2.3 diesel 140hp PVC. It's taken us some amazing places during that trip, including the Sognefjellet Pass ("Roof of Europe"), the highest mountain pass in Northern Europe in Norway, and the Lofoten Islands. Now heading south. Currently in Gothenburg, Sweden. I've now just topped up with Adblu without waiting for the dashboard message.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back