Abacist back in Spain (2 Viewers)

Jul 13, 2022
Tarragona, Spain
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
I did read was they intended to make the tolls not chargeable for such as you going to work, or home from work or to and from school! How will that be worked out you might ask.
It seems, in the N240, with this new system, the check points read the plates and detect the type of vehicle.
If your device is read through a check point X times per month, you reach the frequent user discount.
I did read about the changes to the N240 but couldn’t find any info on how to pay
You should register in the web, it seems.
We didn't, because we have one of this wireless paying devices (spanish plates).
We went through those check points in the N240 last year and the device we have in the van was beeping when we went through, but we didn't receive any charge, so the "type of vehicle detection system" may work...

I don't know if they are able to reach out to UK plates (maybe just UE plates?)

Here's some info I found:

If the journey is carried out through free-flow infrastructures without an OBE device or without having the number plate linked to a payment method, the journey will be recorded as “to be paid”.
After detecting such a situation, the system will send the holder of the registration a communication informing him or her that
  1. To pay the amount owed, through the Bidesaria platform, a valid payment method must be in place to which the journey pending payment can be linked.
  2. If you wish, you can link this payment method to the number plate for future journeys through the points where free-flow technology is implemented in Bizkaia.
https://interbiak.bizkaia.eus/en/services/payment-methods

OP
OP
Abacist

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
That is so helpful Peavy! It does refer to heavy goods vehicles over 3.5 tons so hopefully it does not apply to us as a private registered Motorhome.

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
That is so helpful Peavy! It does refer to heavy goods vehicles over 3.5 tons so hopefully it does not apply to us as a private registered Motorhome.
As Spain managed to negotiate a deal on accessing our DVLA database, is it possible that we may both receive a bill for payment of toll fees, especially if they use our Private Heavy Goods taxation class, rather than our M1 Motorcaravan registration class, as proof of eligibility for payment? Who knows? 🤷‍♂️

Cheers,

Jock. :)

OP
OP
Abacist

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
Breakfast this morning
d8b3b966-5692-4146-86c6-da5edcb4d01a.jpeg
5a67a84f-f34c-48f9-97d1-2effe46b3279.jpeg

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Abacist

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
A cycle ride today along the seafront with lots of restaurants. We just had a couple of starters for lunch as breakfast and eleven’s finished at midday. Valencia Port/Harbour in the background.
IMG_2574.jpeg

IMG_2575.jpeg

IMG_2576.jpeg

IMG_2579.jpeg

IMG_2577.jpeg

IMG_2578.jpeg

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Spain may have U-turned in the reintroduction of increased tolls....
They were talking about reintroducing tolls on all roads including the motorways that previously did not have them,Then came covid & it all got shelved. Now the EU are back on the case & I was reading a google link on phone the other night where it was saying that it would require at least one billion euros up front for the infrastructure before gaining any income.
It is definitely going to reappear .
i'm struggling though with tolls & road tax as in France they do not have road tax as well & where I live in Lorca we have one of the highest road taxes , which are set by local councils, in Spain.

OP
OP
Abacist

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
Sorry I’ve missed a couple of days but went into old town València on Friday and took too many photos to upload but further confounded by being pickpocketed on the bus on the way home and lost my wallet and all my debit. & credit cards, English money and some Euros, driving licence etc, etc. what a pain! All cards cancelled and two already reissued and in my Apple IPhone wallet. Spent an hour this morning on 2 buses and a long walk to the nearest police station to report it all and get an official copy for insurance purposes! Spent the rest of today in the new modern Arts, Science and Exhibitions area which is fab. I will try and gets some pics up later.

OP
OP
Abacist

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
Sorry to read this. I feel for you.
Hope your holidays are not totally ruined by this.
No, no just a bit depressed. We split money between us and never carry it all with us. We were on a very crowded bus and he got me heading for the exit. Only realised when I went to pay in the camp shop just after getting off the bus. Must be getting senile not to have realised what was going on! Lesson learnt!

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
No, no just a bit depressed. We split money between us and never carry it all with us. We were on a very crowded bus and he got me heading for the exit. Only realised when I went to pay in the camp shop just after getting off the bus. Must be getting senile not to have realised what was going on! Lesson learnt!
Sorry to hear of your unfortunate happenings,
I quite often post reminders to some of our resort visitors, keep your guard up when going to our local Sunday market...we stand out so much... unfortunately just like yourself, the bad ones go on the hunt...and when the opportunity comes their way...they strike, do their business and are away..sometimes the wallet, purse or smartphone has changed hands within seconds of the snatch...
Hope you can pick up from where you left off before this unfortunate episode.

Sep 7, 2017
Funster No
Sorry I’ve missed a couple of days but went into old town València on Friday and took too many photos to upload but further confounded by being pickpocketed on the bus on the way home and lost my wallet and all my debit. & credit cards, English money and some Euros, driving licence etc, etc. what a pain! All cards cancelled and two already reissued and in my Apple IPhone wallet. Spent an hour this morning on 2 buses and a long walk to the nearest police station to report it all and get an official copy for insurance purposes! Spent the rest of today in the new modern Arts, Science and Exhibitions area which is fab. I will try and gets some pics up later.
What a drag, sounds really annoying. Impressive two new cards in Apple wallet already though.

OP
OP
Abacist

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
Valencia Old Town - 1.jpg
Valencia Old Town - 2.jpg
Valencia Old Town - 3.jpg
Valencia Old Town - 4.jpg
Valencia Old Town - 5.jpg
Valencia Old Town - 6.jpg
Valencia Old Town - 7.jpg
Valencia Old Town - 8.jpg
Valencia Old Town - 9.jpg
Valencia Old Town - 10.jpg
Valencia Old Town - 11.jpg
Valencia Old Town - 12.jpg
Valencia Old Town - 13.jpg
Valencia Old Town - 14.jpg
Valencia Old Town - 15.jpg
Valencia Old Town - 16.jpg
Valencia Old Town - 17.jpg
Valencia Old Town - 18.jpg
Valencia Old Town - 19.jpg
Valencia Old Town - 20.jpg
Valencia Old Town - 21.jpg
Valencia Old Town - 22.jpg
Valencia Old Town - 23.jpg
Valencia Old Town - 24.jpg
Valencia Old Town - 25.jpg
Valencia Old Town - 26.jpg
Valencia Old Town - 27.jpg
Valencia Old Town - 28.jpg
Valencia Old Town - 29.jpg

Valencia was very badly flooded back in 1957 and in 1983 they decided to divert the river out of going through the town centre. Now it has been filled with a beautiful park with walkways, cycle paths, cafes and you can still see the old river bridges and river walls to this day. The river was about 100 metres wide. Everything has been done very nicely with lovely trees and beautiful flowers.

OP
OP
Abacist

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
Today we came back into Valencia to go to the Police Station but afterwards went back to the river bed where further along they have built the most modern Art Science and Exhibition Buildings with extraordinary architecture.
I think they missed a trick though as all those pools are only paddling depth! They should have put in an Olympic Swimming pool, Diving pool and lots of fun pools for kids.

Valencia Modern Art Science & Exhibition Park - 1.jpg
Valencia Modern Art Science & Exhibition Park - 2.jpg
Valencia Modern Art Science & Exhibition Park - 3.jpg
Valencia Modern Art Science & Exhibition Park - 4.jpg
Valencia Modern Art Science & Exhibition Park - 5.jpg
Valencia Modern Art Science & Exhibition Park - 6.jpg
Valencia Modern Art Science & Exhibition Park - 7.jpg
Valencia Modern Art Science & Exhibition Park - 8.jpg
Valencia Modern Art Science & Exhibition Park - 9.jpg
Valencia Modern Art Science & Exhibition Park - 10.jpg
Valencia Modern Art Science & Exhibition Park - 11.jpg
Valencia Modern Art Science & Exhibition Park - 12.jpg
Valencia Modern Art Science & Exhibition Park - 13.jpg
Valencia Modern Art Science & Exhibition Park - 14.jpg
Valencia Modern Art Science & Exhibition Park - 15.jpg
Valencia Modern Art Science & Exhibition Park - 16.jpg
Valencia Modern Art Science & Exhibition Park - 17.jpg
Valencia Modern Art Science & Exhibition Park - 18.jpg
Valencia Modern Art Science & Exhibition Park - 19.jpg
Valencia Modern Art Science & Exhibition Park - 20.jpg
Valencia Modern Art Science & Exhibition Park - 21.jpg
Valencia Modern Art Science & Exhibition Park - 22.jpg
Valencia Modern Art Science & Exhibition Park - 23.jpg
Valencia Modern Art Science & Exhibition Park - 24.jpg

Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
It really is such a beautiful city. One of our favourites. So sorry about your experience. It really shakes you up. It makes life so much easier when they don’t get your phone as well though, says the voice of experience.

OP
OP
Abacist

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
Have you tried them flash grilled with a sprinkle of Parmesan cheese ?
Maybe one to try at home - I’ve not got a shucker with me and the wife gets in a state if I suggest anything other than Plaice, Haddock, Bass, Prawns or Crab

Apr 26, 2016
South West Wales.
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur LVX 9
Exp
since 2000
We are having a month in Spain looking for some sun and warmth with both of us fed up with all the rain at home!

Normally I run with the gas on for the fridge but decided on 12 volts to get to Plymouth and chill the fridge. Rough crossing to start with and I was looking out of a stern window from the restaurant looking alternately at sea one minute then sky the next as we ploughed through the swell on the Pont Aven.

Seas calmed down in the early morning so calm then to Santander. Arrived 2:30pm Brit time so 3:30pm in Spain. Back in the van to find no Hab Electrics! The 12 volt fridge was left on but I thought it was supposed to be off anyway when no engine/ignition on - well it seems I was wrong - 90% of 300 Amp hours of lithium gone in 22 hours. No water, lights, boiler/heater, radio, reversing camera, fridge, freezer, toilet flush etc! Panic!
We set off for Pamplona to let the B2B do its thing but come 11pm on the Aire in Pamplona still no CBE control unit - dead as a Dodo! Is this a repeat of my last CBE control panel problem! Went to bed but not much sleep worrying about it!
Next morning I find I can get EHU on the aire so plug in and 50 Amps start pouring into the batteries. I get the fridge off 12 volts and onto gas which obviously held us back last evening and night. We go off for a walk around town and when we get back everything has come alive again! Phew!
Driven to Zaragoza today and the sun and blue sky are out at last after as much rain over here as in the UK.
Only one niggle left which was that the N240 between Bilbao and Vitoria has been reclassified as a motorway but with no toll booths, you need a Go- Box and I haven’t got one! No doubt there will be a bill on the mat when we get home!

What a start to a holiday!
Come tour Wales, No ferries, no language issues, no passport, no travel insurance, no pet passports or inoculations,
no driving on the right (except on Wednesdays, and warm rain.

OP
OP
Abacist

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
Come tour Wales, No ferries, no language issues, no passport, no travel insurance, no pet passports or inoculations,
We did spend time in both Pembrokeshire and the Brecon Beacons last year!

Feb 6, 2022
Funster No
MH
Swift Bessacarr 597
Exp
Since 2019
Thank you for the awsome pictures. I lived there for two years back in the 70's. A lot has changed, but a lot has not. You've tempted me to go back.
Did you by chance see this restaurint, about a mile north or your campiste. https://www.arroceriapinedobeach.com/
Looks like a rice paradise!
Pleasant travels

Last edited:
OP
OP
Abacist

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
Thank you for the awsome pictures. I lived there for two years back in the 70's. A lot has changed, but a lot has not. You've tempted me to go back.
Did you by chance see this restaurint, about a mile north or your campiste. https://www.arroceriapinedobeach.com/
Looks like a rice paradise!
Pleasant travels

No that’s not one we have seen - looks huge - wondering where it could be?

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
You forgot the no sunshine bit:giggle:

I am from Pembrokeshire by the way and love it.

In fact in September last year we had 2 fantastic weeks of weather. When it’s like that you can’t beat it.

Enjoying your travels Abacist but sorry about the wallet being stolen.

OP
OP
Abacist

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
Having had my wallet nicked with my driving licence in it I was concerned about getting stopped and not being able to produce it if required.

No problem said the Spanish National Police officer just produce your sworn statement that it has been stolen and which we have stamped and signed and that will suffice.

I went on the DVLA website to see about getting a replacement and it says you can’t drive until you receive it! Typical British bureaucratic nonsense!

OP
OP
Abacist

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
We had a nice bike ride yesterday as there are cycle lanes everywhere, not like at home. A few pics to follow in due course - internet seems to have ground to a halt for uploading pics

Last edited:
Sep 7, 2017
Funster No
Having had my wallet nicked with my driving licence in it I was concerned about getting stopped and not being able to produce it if required.

No problem said the Spanish National Police officer just produce your sworn statement that it has been stolen and which we have stamped and signed and that will suffice.

I went on the DVLA website to see about getting a replacement and it says you can’t drive until you receive it! Typical British bureaucratic nonsense!
That’s annoying about the DVLA, it must be different to renewal. I accidentally allowed mine to run out, not the entitlement just the actual licence. Because I am a paramedic and have to drive on a blue light I checked and was told its okay to drive as long as you have made an application. It was obviously my fault so doubly annoying its different when its not your fault!

OP
OP
Abacist

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
So the bike ride went south to the huge lake which is a Protected nature Reserve but they seem to do boat rides around it. A basic shot to show the safe cycle lines and even the roads where there is just a metre on each side allocated to cyclists there are signs asking vehicles to allow 2 metres safety space. Naturally a coffee and a cake and later a beer at a nice restaurant and we have booked to go for lunch today. Lastly a few of the vast beach which is as deep as the walk from the campsite.

Cycle Ride & Beach Valencia - 1.jpg
Cycle Ride & Beach Valencia - 2.jpg
Cycle Ride & Beach Valencia - 3.jpg
Cycle Ride & Beach Valencia - 4.jpg
Cycle Ride & Beach Valencia - 6.jpg
Cycle Ride & Beach Valencia - 7.jpg
Cycle Ride & Beach Valencia - 8.jpg
Cycle Ride & Beach Valencia - 10.jpg
Cycle Ride & Beach Valencia - 11.jpg
Cycle Ride & Beach Valencia - 12.jpg
Cycle Ride & Beach Valencia - 13.jpg

Cycle Ride & Beach Valencia - 5.jpg