"A Year in Spain" My "last gasp" attempt at posting (informative info). (1 Viewer)

OP
OP
jumartoo

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
We left Casas Nuevas this morning after a very peaceful night. No long stayers that I could see. Sadly we had to travel to and from the village on the C5, which may be the worst road surface in all of Spain. Enjoy your menu del dia.

Ah, what a shame we were a day too late to meet up with you.

The C5 heading south west is, allegedly, still a bad road. Maybe it'll be on the schedule for repair. They are slowly resurfacing all the minor roads around here.

I'm already looking forward to a nice bike ride tomorrow, followed by a MDD. It's the least we can do.

Jul 13, 2022
Tarragona, Spain
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Is that naughty of us to think this way?
Absolutely not. That's our view also.
We try to go away with the van almost every weekend, but can't go further than an hour, or maximum two hours drive.
We feel that way when we find the local aires busy with Dutch and German vans.
But, hey, part of the game. Can't complain much.
Only here, nobody knows 🤫:sneaky:

Jun 12, 2020
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138 Compact
Exp
Since 2017
Ah, what a shame we were a day too late to meet up with you.

The C5 heading south west is, allegedly, still a bad road. Maybe it'll be on the schedule for repair. They are slowly resurfacing all the minor roads around here.

I'm already looking forward to a nice bike ride tomorrow, followed by a MDD. It's the least we can do.
We're in the region for another 4 weeks, so you never know. Our paths may yet cross.

OP
OP
jumartoo

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
We had a quiet night here. We heard a Scops Owl and sheep! It was pretty cold this morning but, once the sun came up, it warmed up nicely.

Our bike ride was mainly on minor roads, just because we were happy riding them rather than risking the off road route chosen by Komoot. The first bit, that we did do, came to a chain, that we got under to reach the road.

We were back in good time to get the bikes on charge and to walk into the village for lunch.

We rode back along the C5 and, it's definitely worse than the last time we were on it. Riding down the centre white line on a bike is smooth, but a motorhome can't do that 😂.

We enjoyed our lunch, and the guy was happy that we made it easy for him and ordered in Spanish. There were others from the camperstop who were needing to speak in English. He did speak "Mula" English, or so he told us 🙂.

We're here tonight, and weather permitting, riding again in the morning. There's a weather front hitting Spain. Will it get here? Who knows.

DSCN8000~2.JPG
DSCN8003~2.JPG
DSCN8004~2.JPG

DSCN8014~2.JPG
DSCN8013~2.JPG

The Lorca border marker 🫢
DSCN8016~2.JPG

And back down the C5 to Casas Nuevas.
DSCN8017~2.JPG
DSCN8019~2.JPG

IMG_20240306_151339.jpg

There are no spring flowers at all. The only flowers are on gorse bushes (apart from the blossom on the trees).

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
jumartoo

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
We had a lovely, easy ride today from our parking at Casas Nuevas. I'm nursing my bike because it's sold prior to my new one arriving and the bike is getting a knocking sound that research tells us is a motor bearing (or more than one) that's failing. All will be put right before we let our friends take possession. We've not had a further delaying of delivery, so please, all keep 🫰🫰 that it arrives sometime soon.

Anyway. All I can reiterate is that we had a pleasant ride and, because we rode one section in the opposite direction to what we've done before, we saw different vistas. A new house, on a hill, we saw for the first time ever. Thirty years ago I'd love to have lived so remotely like that.

Now ... I'm more than happy with our lifestyle.

DSCN8022~2.JPG
DSCN8021~2.JPG

Gorse. The only colour around other than the different blossoms.
DSCN8020~2.JPG
DSCN8029~2.JPG
DSCN8025~2.JPG

DSCN8031~2.JPG

The new house that weve never seen before.
DSCN8030~2.JPG
DSCN8029~2.JPG
DSCN8033~2.JPG

HKF

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2021
The Charente, France
Funster No
MH
Benimar Europe 740
Exp
Since August 2021
We were at Casas Nuevas for 2 nights, the week before last.
We thought it was lovely, and the others on the aire were very friendly.
It didn't feel to us as though it was occupied by long-stayers.

From there, we drove down to Lorca on the worst road we've ever driven on in Spain. It felt like being at home🥺.

Thank you for posting this. It looks like just the sort of place we'd love and it's now definitely on our list!! Thank you :)

OP
OP
jumartoo

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
There are lots of "guiries" here (foreigners to the Spanish). Today there are probably more Brits than any other nationality. Lots left this morning.

There are a few Brits here that are "read only on FUN". If they're reading this they know who they are 😂. They're (both couples) are nice people so they'd be good Funsters!

Get your hands in your pockets 🤣🤣🤣

HKF

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2021
The Charente, France
Funster No
MH
Benimar Europe 740
Exp
Since August 2021
There are lots of "guiries" here (foreigners to the Spanish). Today there are probably more Brits than any other nationality. Lots left this morning.

There are a few Brits here that are "read only on FUN". If they're reading this they know who they are 😂. They're (both couples) are nice people so they'd be good Funsters!

Get your hands in your pockets 🤣🤣🤣

I hope they do join :)

OP
OP
jumartoo

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
We're heading home tomorrow. There's bad weather forecast. Whether it gets here is debatable, but it gives Martin chance to look at my noisy bike motor.

It looks like I'll be riding my gravel bike for some time to come.

I'm also back on cat feeds from tomorrow night.

Last edited:
OP
OP
jumartoo

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
I'm conscious that our life (and this thread) is getting a bit boring. So here's a few photos from this very same area a few years ago, after we had, possibly, the last real rain.

Today crossing the "River bed". How we normally see it.
DSCN8032~2.JPG

And a few years ago, after rain.

01001844.jpg
01001845.jpg

The flowers should be looking like this.

March 2022. This year, so far there's a bit of yellow Gorse.

Screenshot_20220306-161121_Photos.jpg
Screenshot_20220306-161105_Photos.jpg
Screenshot_20220306-161232_Photos.jpg
Screenshot_20220306-161217_Photos.jpg
Screenshot_20220306-161251_Photos.jpg

It's sad to see the barren land.

HKF

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2021
The Charente, France
Funster No
MH
Benimar Europe 740
Exp
Since August 2021
We're heading home tomorrow. There's bad weather forecast. Whether it gets here is debatable, but it gives Martin chance to look at my noisy bike motor.

It looks like I'll be riding my gravel bike for some time to come.

I'm also back on cat feeds from tomorrow night.

The bad weather prevented us from heading to Spain this week. We might try again in around 10 days-ish but, after that, it not possible for a while. Have a safe journey home :)

OP
OP
jumartoo

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
The bad weather prevented us from heading to Spain this week. We might try again in around 10 days-ish but, after that, it not possible for a while. Have a safe journey home :)

Thanks.

It's only about an hours drive, the longer, but easier, way.

Reactions: HKF
May 14, 2021
East Yorkshire, UK
Funster No
MH
ADRIA Twin 640SLB
Exp
Since 2012
Re remote houses, when we were looking at houses all over Spain with a view to retiring there we visited a rural new build. I can’t remember the exact location now but it was inland Murcia. Before seeing it I couldn’t get my head around being able to afford to buy this large detached house with infinity pool etc etc with 5,000m2 garden full of olive trees. When the agent took us there we could see why. Nearest neighbour was so far away you struggled to see their house. No mains electric or water, needed a satellite phone. No tarmac road access. It wasn’t for us

HKF

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2021
The Charente, France
Funster No
MH
Benimar Europe 740
Exp
Since August 2021
Re remote houses, when we were looking at houses all over Spain with a view to retiring there we visited a rural new build. I can’t remember the exact location now but it was inland Murcia. Before seeing it I couldn’t get my head around being able to afford to buy this large detached house with infinity pool etc etc with 5,000m2 garden full of olive trees. When the agent took us there we could see why. Nearest neighbour was so far away you struggled to see their house. No mains electric or water, needed a satellite phone. No tarmac road access. It wasn’t for us

By contrast, we'd love it :)

OP
OP
jumartoo

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994

By contrast, we'd love it :)

I would have, years ago but living somewhere like that and travelling regularly don't mix. There's a lot of work involved with land. I'm now happy to be in a community as we are getting older. It's easy to still travel and the apartment is secure and easy to look after.

I've fairly recently stopped hankering after a remote property, I also fancied living in a cave house 😊

HKF

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2021
The Charente, France
Funster No
MH
Benimar Europe 740
Exp
Since August 2021
I would have, years ago but living somewhere like that and travelling regularly don't mix. There's a lot of work involved with land. I'm now happy to be in a community as we are getting older. It's easy to still travel and the apartment is secure and easy to look after.

I've fairly recently stopped hankering after a remote property, I also fancied living in a cave house 😊

I couldn't live in a cave house. I need lots and lots of natural light inside. I can't bear to be in dark houses or to feel 'trapped', which I think I might do in a cave house. They do look cute, though :)

OP
OP
jumartoo

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
It's grey, windy, but still dry here. There's rain over the other side of Sierra Espuña where we've just come back from. I'm hoping it rains here, it's desperately needed, even if I have to go out in it later to feed the cats.

Parts for my bike are arriving on Monday, so it won't be long before I have a bike on the road. Either my new one (no news is good news) due to be built on the 11th, or my repaired blue one. We should know by the middle of next week.

I'm doing some summer trip research whilst we're in the apartment and I've found some less expensive accommodation for our Pirinexus ride. I just hope it's still available nearer the time.

OP
OP
jumartoo

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
I fed the cats this morning. Two out of four were present. Now one of them (the oldest female cat we feed, Jess) has found herself a place for two weeks. A sort of Cat Parador. She'll be back down to P11 with a bump when the owners go back home.

So Harry is home alone. Yesterday he had a girlfriend. A cat owned and fed, but seems to like the gourmet food we feed here. Anyway, I gently nudged her away from Harry's meal. This morning Harry ate, and then came for a walk down to P13, where he knows Milo and George. No George, again (he didn't arrive last night either) but Milo and Harry were happy together.

I managed to stroke Milo (getting them used to interaction is important to try to get them rehomed) then Harry pushed himself forward for a stroke, then bit me!! Not too hard, but I have one pinhole mark.

Blinking ungrateful cats. I'm thinking of handing in my notice if they don't appreciate me a bit ..... more 🤣🤣🤣

OP
OP
jumartoo

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Are their names English originally or are those your names for them? :unsure:

They are the names I was told. George was originally Spanish owned and handed over, he was originally Jorge. Milo is a Spanish name? Jess and Harry, I don't know, but they are two of the longest living community cats here.

Unfortunately, we have lost 8 cats in the last six weeks on the roads here. We have a 30km speed limit, but some drive at more than double that. We don't know what we can do to educate people, but a friend who owns the local paper is willing to write an article for us. We have had some demonstrations, waving placards, but we get the middle finger from some 😰

Haha get me, saying us! I'm still on probation 🤣

HKF

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2021
The Charente, France
Funster No
MH
Benimar Europe 740
Exp
Since August 2021
They are the names I was told. George was originally Spanish owned and handed over, he was originally Jorge. Milo is a Spanish name? Jess and Harry, I don't know, but they are two of the longest living community cats here.

Unfortunately, we have lost 8 cats in the last six weeks on the roads here. We have a 30km speed limit, but some drive at more than double that. We don't know what we can do to educate people, but a friend who owns the local paper is willing to write an article for us. We have had some demonstrations, waving placards, but we get the middle finger from some 😰

Haha get me, saying us! I'm still on probation 🤣

Raising awareness of cats in the vicinity could have a detrimental affect. Many people have a massive hatred of cats and will actively drive towards them. I find it sickening. The type of oeople who do that sort of thing also seem to have no qualms in making their feelings known. Personally, i could line them all up against a wall and shoot them. I loathe animal cruelty. Take care on how you handle this situation ❤️

OP
OP
jumartoo

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Raising awareness of cats in the vicinity could have a detrimental affect. Many people have a massive hatred of cats and will actively drive towards them. I find it sickening. The type of oeople who do that sort of thing also seem to have no qualms in making their feelings known. Personally, i could line them all up against a wall and shoot them. I loathe animal cruelty. Take care on how you handle this situation ❤️

Thanks for your advice. We're finding some people are very anti cats. I'm really only just beginning to help out here (I used to walk the dogs at the local dog pound until I broke my shoulder and then my wrist. I must try to go back sometime) so helping with the cats is so much easier.

The latest casualty was left after being hit. Caroline got him to the vets but, unfortunately, the next day he died. He had four different bones broken. He wasn't chipped, so obviously another dumped here.

It's hard to strike a happy medium. Some people love to see them, others hate them, but as long as they need looking after, Caroline (Cat Lady) will do all she can.

And her helpers will continue to help 🫠

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back