"A Year in Spain" My "last gasp" attempt at posting (informative info). (2 Viewers)

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Following your observation about visitors in winter, we are amazed about this one.
We are enjoying a long weekend 😄
Yesterday we were at Prat de Compte (one of our favourite spots) an we were the only Spanish van.
Martin, jumar , we need your flyers :LOL:
First picture from a few months ago (only us), second taken yesterday.
View attachment 867775
View attachment 867776
You are making new friends....do you speak German? This is a good greeting..."Geh nach Hause. Russland kommt."🥴😃😃😃😃👍🇪🇦

OP
OP
jumartoo

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
A few photos from Coy.

Last night on our lonely (lovely) parkup.

DSCN7943~2.JPG
DSCN7942~2.JPG

And on today's ride. Poppies, yes poppies, already, and already fading.

DSCN7945~2.JPG

DSCN7946~2.JPG
DSCN7944~2.JPG
DSCN7948~2.JPG

And a couple from later. Again, nothing spectacular, just lovely riding.

DSCN7950~2.JPG
DSCN7949~2.JPG

OP
OP
jumartoo

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
We've lost a wheel trim, so yesterday morning we had a run around Lorca to try to replace it. We ended up with a new set of four! We also drove on some new roads and saw the motorhome parking.

My bikes dropper post cable snapped so we also called to a bike shop for a replacement.

We then went to Totana. Went to ask about the motorhomes on the industrial estate motorhome place. All sold!! We were only being nosy and passing the time before we went to Maria and Salva's hours at 2.30. Salva passed us as we were filling a water container from a fuente and we followed him in.

They've made a great job of finishing the house, although our parking is no longer 😂. We had to park on the paved area. There's still an awful lot of land to develop so we may still get an official space 🤞👍

IMG_20240224_082708.jpg

View from my bed this morning.
IMG_20240224_075413.jpg

I may have said earlier in the thread that they've built a one bedroom house and two semi self contained studios for the kids.

House
IMG_20240224_082803.jpg

Kids rooms
IMG_20240224_082809.jpg

Very well thought out and built.

They also have a pool.
IMG_20240224_082736.jpg

And even a Sira!
IMG_20240224_085417.jpg

Just look at those eyes.

We spent a great afternoon and evening with Maria, Salva and Maria's brother Fermin. We were joined for the eating part by Manuel, their son. Marta was still in Murcia.

This was us. I don't know how many years ago, all together in Italy.
The kids are now 21 and 19!

Screenshot_20240222_164529_Photos.jpg

We've come home. There's an icy wind blowing and the weather where we wanted to go next is looking wintery over the next week. We'll head out again soon.

One positive is that the washing is done and blowing on the roof. Well pegged on the line.

Last edited:

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
What you mean TT campers? If so I'm amazed as I commented on the amount they had when passing on the autovia the other day:
The young lady stopped me from viewing their stock....telling me they are all sold....I was amazed too....

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
jumartoo

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
All washing has been retrieved. My dropper post has been rethreaded. The motorhome now has four, cheap, wheel trims.

We've had a nice lunch of tempura vegetables (from Mercadona) cooked in the air frier and a tuna steak each. It was very nice.

The golfers are sticking it out on the course. It must have been a challenging competition today.

The Vikings arrive back later. I may be out walking with them soon.

I've had a walk saved for sometime. Jane, on our last walk, mentioned the same route. It may be on for Friday.

Wait for ...... "The Eyes of the Dragon".

Jul 13, 2022
Tarragona, Spain
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
scrumping
Thanks. I don't believe there's an equivalent word for that in Spanish :unsure: "wordreference" dictionary brings up something that might sound illegal :ROFLMAO:
Sometimes we spot in our area, vast orange tree fields and, in some cases, might be more expensive to collect them always (one of the claims of the farmers, the cost of EU bureaucracy), so sometimes oranges just lie there, in the ground 🙄

Last edited:
OP
OP
jumartoo

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Thanks. I don't believe there's an equivalent word for that in Spanish :unsure: "wordreference" dictionary brings up something that might sound illegal :ROFLMAO:
Sometimes we spot in our area, vast orange tree fields and, in some cases, might be more expensive to collect them always (one of the claims of the farmers, the cost of EU bureaucracy), so sometimes oranges just lie there, in the ground 🙄

Most of the oranges and lemons here are still on the trees. Thousands, if not millions, just being left.

Some look quite small, lack of water I expect.

OP
OP
jumartoo

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Yesterday evening I went to collect a hairdryer I'd bought on a charity page for our community cats.

Caroline, "Cat Lady" works hard to look after the community cats (some abandoned by people that leave and some brought here and abandoned from outside). Anyway, in our discussion, I found myself volunteering to be a "feeder" when we're around.

So. This morning I had my induction by Caroline (a Scouser in origin and the Salt of the Earth).

Peavy "Scouser" someone from Liverpool. Just in case you didn't know 🙂. "Salt of the Earth" a very good, honest person.

I've met my four new friends (two of which seem to have taken up temporary shelter under the cover on our scooter!) and learnt the ropes, and this evening I'm "flying solo" but have to report back on our Messenger page if I have any problems.

I'll take some piccies of my four new friends later.

May 14, 2021
East Yorkshire, UK
Funster No
MH
ADRIA Twin 640SLB
Exp
Since 2012
Well done. We are big cat lovers and our last one did about 30k in the van before he passed away at a ripe age.

Since about 1980 we have visited Cartagena at every possible trip to Spain, sometimes travelling hours to get there just for the day visit. Sharon was obsessed about the abandoned cats that frequented the stair cases off the old town streets up to where the amphitheater now is. Always wanting to find or bring food to give them 😊 They will get to know you quickly, I think, and you’ll become their best friend.

Our last cat was a Devon Rex and never went outside alone. He was absolutely beautiful
IMG_0521.jpeg

OP
OP
jumartoo

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
I've just been posting in the Heiki Roof light thread.

We've ridden our bikes through the area where the motorhome overturned (read the thread if you haven't seen it) and, in my opinion, it's not the best of places to drive a Hymer (even a 4 x 4). We had to choose our way carefully on the bikes on some bits of the track.

However. For motorhomers who like a different environment, there's a good parkup before the tracks begin. There's also a small, official parking, with services in the village of Gorafe. It is a cave house village, with an old civilisation behind the cemetery.

We've been there twice and had a couple of good nights. The last time we spent with a couple from the Czech Republic and Martin joined them playing their guitars.

So, these photos are back in time to January last year.

DSCN2955.JPG
DSCN2967.JPG
DSCN2972.JPG
DSCN2978~2.JPG
DSCN2934.JPG
DSCN2938.JPG

There are many Dolmen in the area. I'll look for some photos.

OP
OP
jumartoo

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
I've done my Cat Duty. For community cats they are very well looked after. Too well in my opinion, but I'm just a Newby, part timer 🤣 so I'll do as I'm told.

They each have, twice daily, a sachet of wet food. Tonight I fed beef, and they didn’t like it! It looked as though it would make a good pie to have with chips and mushy peas 😂. Most of it is now in our kitchen bin cos we can't leave it. They also have dry food all the time. And fresh water.

Penthouse 11 residents
IMG_20240226_180129.jpg

And Penthouse 13. Not hungry at all.
IMG_20240226_182328.jpg

It's a cats life!

OP
OP
jumartoo

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
It's been very windy again. Too windy for riding the bikes. We've caught up on some jobs and tracked down our replacement bank cards. They've been sent to our old post box in Totana. Luckily we still have a key, so today we went to get them. We are sure we changed our address with the bank, but ....

I had a local walk with Eli (Norwegian) and then they came with us to Totana to have lunch at one of our old favourite restaurants. Our favourite waiter recognised us and came across with a smile and a handshake.

Lots of tumbleweed
IMG_20240228_105122~2.jpg

Eli had her eye on this ruin. Her son has just finished renovating a house in Norway, but I think this one is too far gone.

IMG_20240228_112446~2.jpg
IMG_20240228_112822~2.jpg

Lots of unpicked lemons (also oranges)
IMG_20240228_121122~2.jpg

The restaurant
IMG_20240228_151431.jpg

Not a good name 🙄

image.jpg

We're riding the bikes tomorrow, the wind is forecast to drop 🤞🤞

OP
OP
jumartoo

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Today we took the bikes on the back of the car to follow another Komoot planned route. It took us places we already knew, and some short bits we didn't know. None of it was in spectacular scenery, but we knew that anyway.

It was decent ride, and that's good enough for us.

Before we left, Martin had to go to look at a neighbour's bike. It needs some work because its probably never had as much as a squirt of oil in its lifetime.

In about 30 minutes Martin is going to look at the motorhome battery set up of friends, David and Kay.

Funsters be aware, brains may be picked, later.

I'm on cat duties, then I'm going to walk across to see what's happening.

We have lots to catch up on.

Last night
DSCN7954~3.JPG

Today
DSCN7956~3.JPG
DSCN7955~3.JPG

No more photos.

The land is brown and dry. A far cry from the same area two years ago. Murcia is about to declare a drought.

Early March 2022!

Screenshot_20220306-161105_Photos.jpg
Screenshot_20220306-161217_Photos.jpg
Screenshot_20220306-161251_Photos.jpg

What a difference some rain makes.

OP
OP
jumartoo

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
The Eye of the Dragon walk. We've done it today, after I had a traumatic cat feeding session. Two of the four "official" feedees didn't appear, but some interlopers did. I feel we're feeding cats with good homes!

Anyway. The walk. It had some tough uphill sections and, we passed on the downhill scramble (and corresponding ascent) to stand in the arch. We saw it from above. We did look for an easy way down, but it didn't look suitable for the four of us.

We all got back without a mishap, so none of us felt we'd cheated.

Walking to "work" 😂

IMG_20240301_080700~2.jpg

I'm back out at 6 pm.

And on the walk.
DSCN7958~2.JPG
DSCN7961~2.JPG

DSCN7965~2.JPG

DSCN7973~2.JPG

DSCN7967~2.JPG
DSCN7975~2.JPG

DSCN7959~2.JPG

Looking back up. We feel there must be a suitable way to reach the cave and arch.
DSCN7976~2.JPG

OP
OP
jumartoo

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Today we had an interesting ride from home. Planned, again, on Komoot and transferred to Wikiloc.

I say interesting, because it was, by the many different things and places we saw. What it wasn't, was picturesque.

We passed through the Saladares de Guadalentin (a protected area) that's used for the growing of lots of vegetables. We saw brocolli, onions (in water) being picked, artichokes being loaded, blocking the road with the truck, parachuters, a child on a pony at a riding stable, and then the off road bikers.

All this goes on around us, and very few of us know.

Renovated property in the middle of the Saladares.
DSCN7977~2.JPG

Onions in water. Being picked further away.

DSCN7978~2.JPG

Artichoke jam.
Screenshot_20240302_145934_Photos.jpg
Screenshot_20240302_150001_Photos.jpg

And the bikers.
DSCN7986~2.JPG
DSCN7994.JPG

OP
OP
jumartoo

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
We're treading "virtual" water here, waiting for my new bike to be delivered. Ordered, and paid for, in September, we've had three adjustments. This time we're closer to delivery than before when we were given a delay. Please keep 🤞🤞🤞🤞🤞🤞🤞🤞🤞🤞🤞. In less than two weeks I MAY have my new bike.

So, our trip on Tuesday, is likely to be yet another local(ish) trip. Once I have the new bike we'll have another short trip, to test it out, and then a trial multi day trip to get ready for the Pirinexus.

I've been researching, and I reckon our 6 day Pirinexus trip will cost us around €1,000. Accommodation is more expensive "ooop north" and we need to eat out each day.

Soooo, it's a holiday. Bring it on 🥰🥰🥰

The rest of our summer will cost much less, overall.

Last edited:
OP
OP
jumartoo

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
I think I mentioned collecting our new bank cards from our old post box in Totana. Martin's card was no problem, but guess whose card wouldn't activate? Martin tried at a cash point, I tried in the local Spar and on the App. Eventually I received a message to go to a bank.

Today, on our ride, we went through the tiny village of Fuente Librilla and we spotted a Banco Santander sign. I went in, with my ID and card and, eventually the very pleasant lady there managed to get my card activated 🥳🥳🥳.

I tried in later in ALDI in Alhama and it worked.

We're now looking at going on a mini trip tomorrow morning, whilst not going too far in case of a new bike delivery message.

OP
OP
jumartoo

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Today we set off for another short trip. Until we arrived at the end of the 4km of our avenue, and took the second exit off the roundabout, we hadn't entirely decided where to go.

We decided to drive the mountain route to Casas Nuevas, instead of using our normal autovia route. We wanted to try the newly surfaced (temporary, top coat still to come) road. It's already 100% better than it's been for 20 years, and it's so much more driveable in a motorhome.

We were confused by the new road signs. Where there was an old sign, they was a new one. A doubling up of signs for no apparent reason. (I'll be asking my Alhama friends, why, later) but it seems a totally waste of money.

We arrived at Casas Nuevas with some trepidation, because the last review on P4N, from a Spaniard, was that it's full of long stayers. It's probably just over half full, and we've got a spot that's good for our late afternoon sun harvest for the solar.

The majority here are, again, Germans. There can't be many motorhome owners left in Germany right now.

Anyway. We're intending to ride tomorrow, eat out at the local bar/restaurant, stay for a, legal, second night and then decide according to the weather forecast. We are all, supposedly, going to get rain, in varying degrees, from Thursday to Saturday.

We DO need it, so we'll happily accept it.

On the drive here. Most almonds have done their flowering,, now the leaves are coming.
IMG_20240305_130807~2.jpg

And Martin, heading back from recycling our lunchtime pizza packaging
IMG_20240305_140614~2.jpg

Last edited:
May 8, 2010
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2010
We were at Casas Nuevas for 2 nights, the week before last.
We thought it was lovely, and the others on the aire were very friendly.
It didn't feel to us as though it was occupied by long-stayers.
1000004662.jpg

From there, we drove down to Lorca on the worst road we've ever driven on in Spain. It felt like being at home🥺.

OP
OP
jumartoo

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
We were at Casas Nuevas for 2 nights, the week before last.
We thought it was lovely, and the others on the aire were very friendly.
It didn't feel to us as though it was occupied by long-stayers.View attachment 871544

From there, we drove down to Lorca on the worst road we've ever driven on in Spain. It felt like being at home🥺.

The road from Alhama to Pliego has to have been the worst road in Spain we've driven on in 25 years, until today.

Maybe the road to Lorca will get a new surface soon. It was OK the last time we were on it, but on a mountainbike we probably didn't notice 🤭.

Everyone here seem to be very quiet, and respectful of others' space. It's just a learning curve for us, as these places inland have been so unvisited by tourists before.

It's, sort of, nice to have people to converse with, as long as we can get a space when we want to visit 🤔😊?

Is that naughty of us to think this way?

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
The road from Alhama to Pliego has to have been the worst road in Spain we've driven on in 25 years,
Years ago when we regularly travelled it ,it was atrocious then & we always commented on how it would be possible to resurface it considering the amount who live on the road & the daily usage.& that was also leaving aside the tree root incursions:unsure:

OP
OP
jumartoo

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Years ago when we regularly travelled it ,it was atrocious then & we always commented on how it would be possible to resurface it considering the amount who live on the road & the daily usage.& that was also leaving aside the tree root incursions:unsure:

It's already sooo much better, and, allegedly, it's having another top coat very soon.

Jun 12, 2020
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138 Compact
Exp
Since 2017
Today we set off for another short trip. Until we arrived at the end of the 4km of our avenue, and took the second exit off the roundabout, we hadn't entirely decided where to go.

We decided to drive the mountain route to Casas Nuevas, instead of using our normal autovia route. We wanted to try the newly surfaced (temporary, top coat still to come) road. It's already 100% better than it's been for 20 years, and it's so much more driveable in a motorhome.

We were confused by the new road signs. Where there was an old sign, they was a new one. A doubling up of signs for no apparent reason. (I'll be asking my Alhama friends, why, later) but it seems a totally waste of money.

We arrived at Casas Nuevas with some trepidation, because the last review on P4N, from a Spaniard, was that it's full of long stayers. It's probably just over half full, and we've got a spot that's good for our late afternoon sun harvest for the solar.

The majority here are, again, Germans. There can't be many motorhome owners left in Germany right now.

Anyway. We're intending to ride tomorrow, eat out at the local bar/restaurant, stay for a, legal, second night and then decide according to the weather forecast. We are all, supposedly, going to get rain, in varying degrees, from Thursday to Saturday.

We DO need it, so we'll happily accept it.

On the drive here. Most almonds have done their flowering,, now the leaves are coming.
View attachment 871539

And Martin, heading back from recycling our lunchtime pizza packaging
View attachment 871540
We left Casas Nuevas this morning after a very peaceful night. No long stayers that I could see. Sadly we had to travel to and from the village on the C5, which may be the worst road surface in all of Spain. Enjoy your menu del dia.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

• Back