A 'Smashing' afternoon in Germany (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Yes just walk around like you are interested in a new van then sneak into the waiting area and help yourself,,my 2 Jacks got their share of free biscuits also😁😁although I suppose thinking now I could have kept theirs for WESTY66 🤔🤔🤔
Off to Google the showroom location

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Off to Google the showroom location
You can dump waste and get fresh water at the factory stelllplatz, it's €15 per night for non customers but there are two stellplatz in the town stellplatz that I believe is free, they are all on campercontact including the factory one.

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
You can dump waste and get fresh water at the factory stelllplatz, it's €15 per night for non customers but there are two stellplatz in the town stellplatz that I believe is free, they are all on campercontact including the factory one.
And which town is this ?

P.s do I have to wear a shirt n tie or tennis whites to look legit?

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
And which town is this ?

P.s do I have to wear a shirt n tie or tennis whites to look legit?
Sorry, Schlusselfeld and just wear you Rolex and shorts and T shirt and you should be OK, if you do go don't drive through the town as I am not sure of the height of the arch, easy enough to drive around though as it's only a small place.

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Sorry, Schlusselfeld and just wear you Rolex and shorts and T shirt and you should be OK, if you do go don't drive through the town as I am not sure of the height of the arch, easy enough to drive around though as it's only a small place.
Luckily I have a rolex.

Perfect

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
All the gear, and no idea!
Concorde is only 5 miles up the road, they might not be as fussy 😃
If I get kicked out of aulendorf, polch, and sclusselfeld, I’ll go to Bad waldsee, even uncle Lenny HB is welcome there🤣🤣🤣

OP
OP
Paul F
Dec 3, 2021
Buckinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Morelo Palace 90M
Exp
Since 2020
Well it took Morelo an extra day to get a lounge window as they come in a variety of sizes and I don't think they had the correct one in stock. However, I got a 7.00am appointment for this morning and after another two nights in the factory Stellplatz, a second complete new window was fitted.

Mr Hauptmann was really helpful when I explained my concerns over the remaining windows and after a thorough inspection the other side bedroom window has been replaced also. He explained to me that this is a known problem on a limited number of windows. The manufacturer has changed the adhesive now, and no problems have been experienced since. The kitchen and toilet window were not replaced as these are smaller and lighter and Mr Hauptmann explained that they have not had any problems with these.

The windows falling out was hugely frustrating, but I really cannot fault the way it has been addressed. I think in time we all remember the way problems are dealt with much more than we remember the problem itself.

After venting my anger at the weekend, some extensive polishing established that the scratch was actually just a series of black marks from the window edge, and has now gone completely.

Windows all wide open this evening, and all good so far.

Another public thank you to Josh and Premium Motorhomes for co-ordinating everything, and nudging the right people at the right time. Their help has been invaluable.

The Stellplatz was busy and the cake was good!!

IMG_6770.jpg
IMG_6772.jpg

Apr 17, 2016
South Coast
Funster No
MH
It’s gone!!😢
Exp
4 years….
He explained to me that this is a known problem on a limited number of windows. The manufacturer has changed the adhesive now, and no problems have been experienced since
Why not do a recall if it’s a known issue? Same as the known problem with leaking Heki hatches fix one then wait until another leaks and fix that instead of re fixing them all on one visit!!

OP
OP
Paul F
Dec 3, 2021
Buckinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Morelo Palace 90M
Exp
Since 2020
Why not do a recall if it’s a known issue? Same as the known problem with leaking Heki hatches fix one then wait until another leaks and fix that instead of re fixing them all on one visit!!
Fair point, although I am not sure if their audit trail would be good enough to know which specific windows have gone in which vans, and if they have pinpointed the problem down to a specific batch or batches - he simply said they have had the problem several times before and they know it is a problem with the adhesive.

stewartwebr

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Morelo Empire Liner
Exp
36 years and 16 motorhomes
If anything needed a recall it would have been the failure of the habitation door latches. Mine failed 3 times and all it takes is for the kite string in the emergency release to fail and you have no way of getting in or out of the vehicle. Many many owners suffered the same issue. Sallylilian suffered first and I was advised my new van had the updated mod about a year later, but it was not a cure. It only occurred on the xxl door.
Morelo sent me a kit which I changed but it failed, I replaced with brake cable which eventually failed again. I am an expert at taking the door to bits🙄 Morelo then changed to Rev3 which so far seems to be good.
Interestingly, due to it always being at the back of my mind I tested the emergency release a few weeks ago and it would not open the bottom latch. I took the door cover off and found the string goes to a little black box on the bottom of the door. It allows you to add more tension to the strings which repaired the bottom latch not opening. If you have a Morelo I would strongly suggest you periodically test the emergency release.

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Mr Hauptmann was really helpful when I explained my concerns over the remaining windows and after a thorough inspection the other side bedroom window has been replaced also. He explained to me that this is a known problem on a limited number of windows. The manufacturer has changed the adhesive

Really pleased you are sorted, somewhat disappointing that they didn’t check the other windows when you went back first time 🤔 given they ‘know’ there is an issue 🙁

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Well it took Morelo an extra day to get a lounge window as they come in a variety of sizes and I don't think they had the correct one in stock. However, I got a 7.00am appointment for this morning and after another two nights in the factory Stellplatz, a second complete new window was fitted.

Mr Hauptmann was really helpful when I explained my concerns over the remaining windows and after a thorough inspection the other side bedroom window has been replaced also. He explained to me that this is a known problem on a limited number of windows. The manufacturer has changed the adhesive now, and no problems have been experienced since. The kitchen and toilet window were not replaced as these are smaller and lighter and Mr Hauptmann explained that they have not had any problems with these.

The windows falling out was hugely frustrating, but I really cannot fault the way it has been addressed. I think in time we all remember the way problems are dealt with much more than we remember the problem itself.

After venting my anger at the weekend, some extensive polishing established that the scratch was actually just a series of black marks from the window edge, and has now gone completely.

Windows all wide open this evening, and all good so far.

Another public thank you to Josh and Premium Motorhomes for co-ordinating everything, and nudging the right people at the right time. Their help has been invaluable.

The Stellplatz was busy and the cake was good!!

View attachment 924891View attachment 924892
Yes Paul the Stellplatz looks busy, hopefully they are not all waiting for the workshop ;) 7 am is a bit early I know as we have been there as well, pleased that you are all sorted and without any scratches to remind you you can soon put it behind you.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
If anything needed a recall it would have been the failure of the habitation door latches. Mine failed 3 times and all it takes is for the kite string in the emergency release to fail and you have no way of getting in or out of the vehicle. Many many owners suffered the same issue. Sallylilian suffered first and I was advised my new van had the updated mod about a year later, but it was not a cure. It only occurred on the xxl door.
Morelo sent me a kit which I changed but it failed, I replaced with brake cable which eventually failed again. I am an expert at taking the door to bits🙄 Morelo then changed to Rev3 which so far seems to be good.
Interestingly, due to it always being at the back of my mind I tested the emergency release a few weeks ago and it would not open the bottom latch. I took the door cover off and found the string goes to a little black box on the bottom of the door. It allows you to add more tension to the strings which repaired the bottom latch not opening. If you have a Morelo I would strongly suggest you periodically test the emergency release.
Yes the debacle of the door latches went on for far too long with the manufacturers seeming to be in complete denial, OK things go wrong and very often it is the bits that are bought in that fail but I think Morelo need to be on top of these issues much quicker and be a lot more proactive than they are, after all it's their reputation that is at risk.

Apr 17, 2016
South Coast
Funster No
MH
It’s gone!!😢
Exp
4 years….
Yes a proper shite design if ever there was!! I think every owner since 2017 have had issues with theses doors🤬🤬

Also every owner has no doubt had trouble with the folding step another shite design that should have been addressed after the first year.

If manufacturers were made to pay for the lost time and travelling expenses of owners that have to keep on taking vans back to be fixed they might then take a look at the products they install🤔🤔I am probably around £500 out of pocket whenever the van needs to go in for warranty repairs 😳😳

stewartwebr

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Morelo Empire Liner
Exp
36 years and 16 motorhomes
Also every owner has no doubt had trouble with the folding step another shite design that should have been addressed after the first year.
Must say, never had an issue other than sheared the pin twice on my first Morelo which was the two step option, the others being Liners have the three steps which look more vulnerable. The shearing on both occasions was due to being too quick off the mark and stepping on it before fully extended, 30 minute job to replace.
I bought a step support which I sit under the step when left out for extended periods. Looking around the Stellplatz here in Germany it appears to be the norm and shows how poor quality they are.
IMG_1719.jpeg

OP
OP
Paul F
Dec 3, 2021
Buckinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Morelo Palace 90M
Exp
Since 2020
No problems at all with my step yet, and probably 120 days use or thereabouts. I am only 16 months in, so there is time yet - or maybe I will be one of the lucky step owners. If it‘s going to fail, fingers crossed its before next March when the warranty runs out!

Apr 17, 2016
South Coast
Funster No
MH
It’s gone!!😢
Exp
4 years….
No problems at all with my step yet, and probably 120 days use or thereabouts. I am only 16 months in, so there is time yet - or maybe I will be one of the lucky step owners. If it‘s going to fail, fingers crossed its before next March when the warranty runs out!
You would like to think by now they had sorted the step issues 🤔🤔🤔

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
My experience is that it's not the main drive pin but the left side arm pin that goes,

IMG_0023.jpeg ours should like this, IMG_0025.jpeg which is the right arm with a nice close fitting bush on the shaft and a hardened taper pin through it,

IMG_0024.jpeg but this is ours and a lot of others that I have seen where the bush on the left side is a really sloppy fit on the shaft and the hardened pin is too brittle and snaps, the step still works OK but clonks when it goes out, I am sure yours will look different as they seem to have tried every type of pin and bolt in here, I put a 5mm thread into the hole that was there and inserted a Grub screw from either side (couldn't get bit of broken pin out of shaft) I then drilled a third hole and threaded that to give it a bit more stability.

This was all during the warranty period but I couldn't be bothered going back to the dealer and I had faith in my own "bodge" still good at over 3 years.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
It's only a kite string to get out from the inside, the outside emergency release is steel cable,

IMG_0031.jpeg

Emergency release cable from outside on the left then the broken solenoid cable followed on the right by the kite string from the inside, as far as I am concerned the problem with these linkages was that the solenoid stroke was greater than the travel of the locking mechanism resulting in the lock bottoming out before the solenoid, they redesigned the link without addressing the underlying problem.

IMG_0040 (1).jpeg

This was my "field repair" notice how much slack there is in the tie wraps as the lock arm needs very little force to actually open it, this eventually failed after a year or so so I now have a Mk2 bodge as again we were in a field, Mk2 is even heavier cable ties and even more slack, I'm saying nothing but that must have been a couple of years ago now ;)

I should really add some cable to my tool kit and do it properly next time.

Apr 17, 2016
South Coast
Funster No
MH
It’s gone!!😢
Exp
4 years….
It's only a kite string to get out from the inside, the outside emergency release is steel cable,

View attachment 925092

Emergency release cable from outside on the left then the broken solenoid cable followed on the right by the kite string from the inside, as far as I am concerned the problem with these linkages was that the solenoid stroke was greater than the travel of the locking mechanism resulting in the lock bottoming out before the solenoid, they redesigned the link without addressing the underlying problem.

View attachment 925096

This was my "field repair" notice how much slack there is in the tie wraps as the lock arm needs very little force to actually open it, this eventually failed after a year or so so I now have a Mk2 bodge as again we were in a field, Mk2 is even heavier cable ties and even more slack, I'm saying nothing but that must have been a couple of years ago now ;)

I should really add some cable to my tool kit and do it properly next time.
Did mine with some wire cable from a bike brake and some of the nipples with screws in the end to lock them in place.
Been ok for a few years.
I think a 5 year old could have designed the original crap design better 🤔🤔 I would have also thought that Morelo would have altered the cable when they were building the vans, it’s a 10 minute job if the door is on a bench it would have stopped then getting so much negative reviews.

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
What does the kite string do, seems strange to have it sliding on an eyebolt with a pulley.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back