A 'Smashing' afternoon in Germany (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation

stewartwebr

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Morelo Empire Liner
Exp
36 years and 16 motorhomes
It's only a kite string to get out from the inside, the outside emergency release is steel cable,

View attachment 925092

Emergency release cable from outside on the left then the broken solenoid cable followed on the right by the kite string from the inside, as far as I am concerned the problem with these linkages was that the solenoid stroke was greater than the travel of the locking mechanism resulting in the lock bottoming out before the solenoid, they redesigned the link without addressing the underlying problem.

View attachment 925096

This was my "field repair" notice how much slack there is in the tie wraps as the lock arm needs very little force to actually open it, this eventually failed after a year or so so I now have a Mk2 bodge as again we were in a field, Mk2 is even heavier cable ties and even more slack, I'm saying nothing but that must have been a couple of years ago now ;)

I should really add some cable to my tool kit and do it properly next time.
Your right Martin, the cable coming from the external emergency release which is basically a bike brake cable enters the small black plastic box on the bottom of the door where it pulls two of the same type of cables, one for the top and one for the bottom. When I was fault finding I found that pulling the external emergency lever was not opening the bottom latch. The brake cable was not pulling sufficiently to release it. Inside the black box further tension can be applied by moving any of the brake cables to give more travel. After adjustment it has been working fine. I test it every month as I really don’t trust the door and would hate to think what would happen if a mechanism failed along with the emergency release. I’m sure you have seen a few older Concordes going around with the large plastic insert exactly where holes would need to drilled to open the latches. I believe this is still a major concern in older Concordes as they have no emergency release. They don’t suffer from design issues, it’s aging solenoids which get them apparently.

Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
3 years 30,000 miles UK and Europe.. Campsites and off Grid.
For the uninitiated - what is Premium? Some kind of motorhome cover? Is it a Morello thing?

Made me wonder - I wouldn't have a clue what to do in that situation with mine. That sort of stuff isn't covered by breakdown cover I wouldn't guess.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
For the uninitiated - what is Premium? Some kind of motorhome cover? Is it a Morello thing?

Made me wonder - I wouldn't have a clue what to do in that situation with mine. That sort of stuff isn't covered by breakdown cover I wouldn't guess.
Premium Motorhomes are the dealer for Morelo👍 and very supportive they are too👍

Jun 6, 2012
Leeds
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2012
I have been looking for something similar having read about other peoples problems. Can I ask where you got yours from please.
These are my step supports. They simply fold away when not used and are fully adjustable. I bought them whilst staying on a stellplatz in Bad Dürrheim, they are called Anmiber, here is the link:

IMG_2610.jpeg

IMG_2609.jpeg

David

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 17, 2016
Peterborough, Cambridgeshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic E Line
Exp
Since March 2004
So you pay ,what half a million plus, and some third party supplier supplies supports, which you have to buy, because the step has inherent engineering problems. Is that not this industry all over?

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
They probably get paid very well for being so.
I don’t imagine their workshop rates are much different to anybody else and there won’t be much profit in arranging emergency repairs at the factory, they might get paid well when they sell a van I don’t really know but I am sure there are other dealers that make good money but don’t look after their customers, we read it all the time on here.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
So you pay ,what half a million plus, and some third party supplier supplies supports, which you have to buy, because the step has inherent engineering problems. Is that not this industry all over?
I think you will find that all steps get tired after a few years some owners might want to protect their investment, personally I don't feel the need. and at half a million it would be a different step ;)

Apr 17, 2016
South Coast
Funster No
MH
It’s gone!!😢
Exp
4 years….
You only have to look at Dometic shite, when I picked up my van and asked about the oven the dealer laughed and said it’s only any good for bread😳😳 don’t know but think it’s well over £1k but unfortunately it seems there is not much competition and what there is seems to be nearly as bad!!

Most of the fittings on all vans come from third parties and it seems they don’t worry to much about quality.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
You only have to look at Dometic shite, when I picked up my van and asked about the oven the dealer laughed and said it’s only any good for bread😳😳 don’t know but think it’s well over £1k but unfortunately it seems there is not much competition and what there is seems to be nearly as bad!!

Most of the fittings on all vans come from third parties and it seems they don’t worry to much about quality.
It's a half decent oven that can bake bread ;) Oh you mean as a bread bin :LOL: yes they are a bit slow but we have used ours a couple of times but needs twice as long as you think it should, and it warms plates OK.

The last conversation I had with somebody at the factory about Dometic stuff he was as dissatisfied as we are and was "hinting" that things were going to change as they were moving away from Dometic, "hinting" because the new vans with domestic fridge freezer and ovens from Bosch/Siemens had not been announced.

And yes a lot of the problems associated with any van are from poor quality third party fittings.

Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
3 years 30,000 miles UK and Europe.. Campsites and off Grid.
I don’t imagine their workshop rates are much different to anybody else and there won’t be much profit in arranging emergency repairs at the factory, they might get paid well when they sell a van I don’t really know but I am sure there are other dealers that make good money but don’t look after their customers, we read it all the time on here.

Yes, I imagine it's all built into their profit margin when selling a vehicle. Also, you make more money on premium vehicles. 10% of £200k is a lot more than 10% of 100k.

Good service/support is difficult to find. Well trained staff, paid well, made to feel valued does cost but works.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Yes, I imagine it's all built into their profit margin when selling a vehicle. Also, you make more money on premium vehicles. 10% of £200k is a lot more than 10% of 100k.

Good service/support is difficult to find. Well trained staff, paid well, made to feel valued does cost but works.
But selling twice as many of the 100k vehicles would be the same profit and then you get more servicing, hab checks and damp checks off the volume seller so not sure which one is the more profitable at the end of the day.

stewartwebr

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Morelo Empire Liner
Exp
36 years and 16 motorhomes
It's a half decent oven that can bake bread ;) Oh you mean as a bread bin :LOL: yes they are a bit slow but we have used ours a couple of times but needs twice as long as you think it should, and it warms plates OK.

The last conversation I had with somebody at the factory about Dometic stuff he was as dissatisfied as we are and was "hinting" that things were going to change as they were moving away from Dometic, "hinting" because the new vans with domestic fridge freezer and ovens from Bosch/Siemens had not been announced.

And yes a lot of the problems associated with any van are from poor quality third party fittings.
We have the Seimans Fridge Freezer and Microwave/Oven. So impressed I moved to Seimans for the house, never used a microwave before where you cannot hear it in operation. The fridge is our first compressor fridge and again would never go back and have never once heard the compressor, great good quality equipment.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back