A real conundrum for you experts (38 Viewers)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Oct 17, 2021
Maidstone, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since September 2020
Here’s something that I have ‘googled’ to death and still don’t know the answer. I have also passed the problem back to Offgrid Power Solutions who are still investigating and I await their response, but in the meantime, it’s driving me mad not understanding.

Four days ago, I had fitted:
One solar panel, 185w to add to existing 100w
Victron MPPT controller
Fogstar Drift 280a
B2B
12/1200 Inverter

Drove home and battery 98%

Since then, the battery has slowly diminished despite a good amount of sunshine (although that is irrelevant because the new panel is soooo efficient and is providing reasonable power even with no sun and some rain).

Currently showing 61% on the app, although the Sargent control panel in the motorhome indicates that both batteries are 100% 🤷‍♂️

The only draw is the newly installed inverter, only 0.8a per day (turned it off this morning, now there is no draw registering).

The solar charger has gone though Bulk, Absorption and Float each day (see attached picture).

BUT, it is going into Absorption too early and then Float when it is far from fully charged.

I have researched this so much I now have a much greater understanding on how the system works/is supposed to work, which is a good thing but I have always hated not knowing or understanding anything in complete detail.

So why is it doing this? With so many self builders out there like Lenny etc, someone must know 🤷‍♂️
IMG_8323.png

Last edited:
Apr 9, 2022
Funster No
MH
Cathargo
Exp
Here’s something that I have ‘googled’ to death and still don’t know the answer. I have also passed the problem back to Offgrid Power Solutions who are still investigating and I await their response, but in the meantime, it’s driving me mad not understanding.

Four days ago, I had fitted:
One solar panel, 185w to add to existing 100w
Victron MPPT controller
Fogstar Drift 280a
B2B
12/1200 Inverter

Drove home and battery 98%

Since then, the battery has slowly diminished despite a good amount of sunshine (although that is irrelevant because the new panel is soooo efficient and is providing reasonable power even with no sun and some rain).

Currently showing 61% on the app, although the Sargent control panel in the motorhome indicates that both batteries are 100% 🤷‍♂️

The only draw is the newly installed inverter, only 0.8a per day (turned it off this morning, now there is no draw registering).

The solar charger has gone though Bulk, Absorption and Float each day (see attached picture).

BUT, it is going into Absorption too early and then Float when it is far from fully charged.

I have researched this so much I now have a much greater understanding on how the system works/is supposed to work, which is a good thing but I have always hated not knowing or understanding anything in complete detail.

So why is it doing this? With so many self builders out there like Lenny etc, someone must know 🤷‍♂️
View attachment 959405
Could you post up the solar controller battery settings, (inc expert page)...

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Have you checked the status of your battery on the Fogstar app and also check that your voltage settings are set correctly on you solar regulator.
I have upgraded our system with extra solar,300ah Fogstar Pro with 2000a victron multi smart inverter charger and victron 30a battery to battery dc-dc charger all works well I will try and find settings for devices.😊

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Thinking about your usage since you have stopped any drain on battery could it have dropped into storage mode which is a lower voltage for when not in use🤔

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 5, 2024
In a tin box
Funster No
MH
Building a PVC
Too many variables to really try to make sense of it.

Drove home and batteries at 98% - what were they at before you drove home? How long a drive was it? What amps does the new B2B put out? Where was this reading taken from?

Batteries showing 61% on the app. Which app? The Victron one? The Fogstar one? Do you have a shunt on the system? Is it a smart shunt and if so what does that say?

I don't know much about the Sargent systems but from what I understand you can plumb a solar panel into them and they'll charge your batteries. If the old solar panel has now been removed from the Sargent and run through the Victron alongside the new panel then maybe the Sargent doesn't have any way of monitoring the batteries and is somehow defaulting to saying 100%?

As for the MPPT controller - has this definitely been configured to the right charging profile for your Fogstar battery chemistry?

Again, inverters are outside of my field of expertise but I know they'll have some level of parasitic drain unless you isolate them (which it sounds like you have now). Where were you getting the 0.8A / day reading from?

With the inverter off, are the batteries continuing to deplete lower than the 61% on whatever you measured that from?

You say that's the only draw, so in theory with that completely isolated I'd expect the batteries to at least stabilise but actually I'd expect them to increase in capacity through the solar charging. If not then either your method of measuring is incorrect somehow, or there's something else draining the system that has perhaps not been properly connected to the shunt (assuming there is one) and therefore not registering...

Storage mode sounds unlikely to me as it's usually 70-80% so 61% sounds low. I also didn't think that Fogstars had this (but that could be old information or even just me plain old misremembering it!)

Like I say, lots of questions but I can't even hazard a guess at what's causing that much of a drop - assuming it's an actual drop and not an error in measurement.

OP
OP
Purrfecttune
Oct 17, 2021
Maidstone, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since September 2020
Too many variables to really try to make sense of it.

Drove home and batteries at 98% - what were they at before you drove home? How long a drive was it? What amps does the new B2B put out? Where was this reading taken from?

Batteries showing 61% on the app. Which app? The Victron one? The Fogstar one? Do you have a shunt on the system? Is it a smart shunt and if so what does that say?

I don't know much about the Sargent systems but from what I understand you can plumb a solar panel into them and they'll charge your batteries. If the old solar panel has now been removed from the Sargent and run through the Victron alongside the new panel then maybe the Sargent doesn't have any way of monitoring the batteries and is somehow defaulting to saying 100%?

As for the MPPT controller - has this definitely been configured to the right charging profile for your Fogstar battery chemistry?

Again, inverters are outside of my field of expertise but I know they'll have some level of parasitic drain unless you isolate them (which it sounds like you have now). Where were you getting the 0.8A / day reading from?

With the inverter off, are the batteries continuing to deplete lower than the 61% on whatever you measured that from?

You say that's the only draw, so in theory with that completely isolated I'd expect the batteries to at least stabilise but actually I'd expect them to increase in capacity through the solar charging. If not then either your method of measuring is incorrect somehow, or there's something else draining the system that has perhaps not been properly connected to the shunt (assuming there is one) and therefore not registering...

Storage mode sounds unlikely to me as it's usually 70-80% so 61% sounds low. I also didn't think that Fogstars had this (but that could be old information or even just me plain old misremembering it!)

Like I say, lots of questions but I can't even hazard a guess at what's causing that much of a drop - assuming it's an actual drop and not an error in measurement.
Being a new battery it was 33% when installed (apparently new batteries shouldn’t be transported fully charged).
The drive home was just under 3 hours.
The Fogstar app is what is showing the 61% charged reading.
MPPT set to lithium correctly.
I only turned the inverter off today and will see tomorrow if the voltage has decreased again. Before turning it off, the battery was decreasing by 0.8a per day with no other draw (as in the picture below).
Tonight the app is showing exactly the same as below except for the amps on the right are now zero (instead of 0.8) with the inverter switched off.
The reason the battery is down to 61% since Saturday is because after getting home, I tested all my electrical items on the inverter which obviously decreased the battery further.
So the bottom line is that the battery does not appear to be dropping as such, but that the solar is only keeping it static, with no increase.
The screenshot below of the Fogstar app was taken close to the same time as the screenshot of the MPPT controller app above.
IMG_8320.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Purrfecttune
Oct 17, 2021
Maidstone, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since September 2020
Screenshot taken tonight that shows the settings.
Before today, they were all set to default which included the Tail Current set to zero and the absorption set to 2 hours.
I custom set it this afternoon to what it is now using Fogstars recommended settings on their user manual.
IMG_8325.jpeg

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Ignore all the gizmos and gadgets and stick a proper multimeter on the battery to check voltage.
Plenty of online voltage charts to choose from.
You'll probably find the Sargent reading is correct.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 10, 2009
Yorkshire Dales
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since May 08
Can't help but watching as I have a Sargent system and I am close to getting an almost identical system fitted by Off grid solutions. Good luck getting it sorted.

OP
OP
Purrfecttune
Oct 17, 2021
Maidstone, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since September 2020
Ignore all the gizmos and gadgets and stick a proper multimeter on the battery to check voltage.
Plenty of online voltage charts to choose from.
You'll probably find the Sargent reading is correct.
That was my next step, although research tells me that a battery can be fully charged (voltage) but have low amps and this is where my confusion lies.

So the 280ah drift could be fully charged at 13.6v but still only be (apparently) only 61% charged because of the amps 🤯 My head hurts!

Feb 10, 2009
Yorkshire Dales
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since May 08
That was my next step, although research tells me that a battery can be fully charged (voltage) but have low amps and this is where my confusion lies.

So the 280ah drift could be fully charged at 13.6v but still only be (apparently) only 61% charged because of the amps 🤯 My head hurts!

Thats how I understand Lithium works. They dont really decrease in Voltage much so at 61% it will likely show 13.6 on a meter same as it would at 100%. I stand to be corrected as its all new to me as well. Just learning off here.

Apr 9, 2022
Funster No
MH
Cathargo
Exp
Screenshot taken tonight that shows the settings.
Before today, they were all set to default which included the Tail Current set to zero and the absorption set to 2 hours.
I custom set it this afternoon to what it is now using Fogstars recommended settings on their user manual.View attachment 959650
The tail current setting on my chargers is set to disabled (use it on my shunt but not any of the chargers).

Those settings would mean that when the battery hits 14.2v it will switch to absorption (Mine are set a little higher to 14.25 to suit my BMS/cell balancing). Then when the current is less than 11.2a it will drop into float. My bats at 14.2v would probably be below 11.2amps (especialy if the sun is weak/cloudy) so I think it is better disabled. The rest looks fine though

Given the battery is in float (set at 13.5v) on your first screenshot, and the battery voltage is shown as 13.49 which lines up with the settings, I think the fogstar app/bms is out of sync for some reason.

I would guess it needs to be cycled a few times awith good recharges (best done through ehu) till the BMS resets to 100%. Just for a few cycles I would be tempted to go up to 14.4v, and idealy down below 60% SOC but only because I don't know the parameters the Fogstar BMS regards as a cycle, my battery isn't fogstar.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back