A real conundrum for you experts (27 Viewers)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
OP
OP
Purrfecttune
Oct 17, 2021
Maidstone, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since September 2020
What are Offgrid Solutions saying as a matter of interest?
First step was to remove the MPPT from the V.E. Smart Network which I did last night, but it hasn’t made any difference ☹️

I started the MH for a couple of minutes today and both the Victron B2B app and the MPPT app showed charging in Bulk. Switched off and the Fogstar Battery app showed an increase from 61% to 63%.

Rechecked the MPPT and it had reverted back to Float. ☹️

Mar 30, 2022
Funster No
MH
Swift Suntor 590RL
Today’s readings at 10.45am. It’s been a sunny morning.
The MPPT shows less and less charge per day, suggesting that as the motorhome is parked on the drive/not being used, the battery doesn’t need any more. (Yesterday’s shows slightly higher because I switched a new hairdryer on and off briefly).
The battery % is the same as yesterday with the draw showing 0.0a, now that I have switched the inverter off.
So it all suggests that the Fogstar battery app is not giving me a true reading and possibly needs a reset?
See pictures below, and thanks everyone for your input.
View attachment 959844View attachment 959845View attachment 959846View attachment 959847
You are on one cycle. For some reason the Fogstar app can be way off until you put some cycles on the battery.
Mine was way off until I reached 5-6 cycles then it settled down and since has been pretty close to my Victron Smart Shunt readings.
Also the app can't detect draws under 1amp such as your 0.8amp per hour from your inverter on standby.
Actually in my case it doesn't detect anything under 1.5 amps.
I wouldn't take any notice of the Fogstar app until you've put some cycles on the battery.
I would fit a shunt as it will detect 0.1amp.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Purrfecttune
Oct 17, 2021
Maidstone, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since September 2020
You are on one cycle. For some reason the Fogstar app can be way off until you put some cycles on the battery.
Mine was way off until I reached 5-6 cycles then it settled down and since has been pretty close to my Victron Smart Shunt readings.
Also the app can't detect draws under 1amp such as your 0.8amp per hour from your inverter on standby.
Actually in my case it doesn't detect anything under 1.5 amps.
I wouldn't take any notice of the Fogstar app until you've put some cycles on the battery.
I would fit a shunt as it will detect 0.1amp.
Headlight:
Thank you sooo much. Advice from experience cannot be beaten.

As I surmised above, everything seems to add up except for the Fogstar Battery capacity reading as shown on the app.

I will use the inverter today and then hook up to EHU to recharge and see what occurs.

Jan 25, 2024
North Norfolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach 745
Exp
since 2012
I might be tempted to give it a right thrashing, using the electric water heating option.
Really exercise the system.
I did that regularly on my boat, two kW.
Really helped prolong the lead acids when they had largely been sitting on float for a month.

Tony

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Carthago I 143 LE
Exp
Since 2016
You really need to get it to 100% by EHU or Solar then you can reset your shunt and monitor. As above needs a few cycles to get it to reset.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 26, 2015
Ottershaw
Funster No
MH
Hymer S820
Exp
First motorhome May 2021
Does your onboard charger have a lithium setting, if not get a lithium compatible charger, disconnect the battery and charge it from that until the charger stops charging, then reconnect the battery and see what the app says, it does take a few cycles to stabilise. Also your tail current looks a bit high to me, this is used in conjunction with the absorbition voltage for the controller to decide when to go to float try changing it to 5 amps.

Sep 7, 2017
Funster No
First step was to remove the MPPT from the V.E. Smart Network which I did last night, but it hasn’t made any difference ☹️

I started the MH for a couple of minutes today and both the Victron B2B app and the MPPT app showed charging in Bulk. Switched off and the Fogstar Battery app showed an increase from 61% to 63%.

Rechecked the MPPT and it had reverted back to Float. ☹️
Did they explain how to do all this when you collected it from them, you seem very proficient.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back