A plea - to all those with male dogs attending motorhome shows (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Aug 27, 2014
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
McLouis Tandy 640+
Exp
Since 2014
As some of you know, I'm a trader and run a motorhome accessories stall at some of the main shows, as well as an online business.

This post is simply a plea - to all those with male dogs who attend the shows, It is emphatically not an anti-dog post, I love dogs and must make a fuss of at least a hundred during the course of each show. Please don't try to turn this into an anti-dog post, it's not. I'm perfectly happy that folks bring their dogs to the shows, in fact I always have a bowl of water out for them.

The plea is a simple one - watch your dog and make sure he doesn't pee up any part of a trader's stall or stock. Without exception, at every single show I attend at some point a male dog will pee on some stock or on one of the tablecloths. It usually happens at least 2 or 3 times at every show - I carry an anti-fouling spray with me, which gets applied immediately if I spot one, as once one has peed they all then want to pee on the same spot.

Some of it is irresponsible owners - I have seen them just stand there and watch their dog do it. A good chunk though is just inattentive owners. Walk them first - encourage them to pee up the wheelie bins, lamp posts, fences - no one cares about those - but don't let them pee up our stock. I, and most other stallholders, will definitely challenge anyone we see.

After all, would you want to handle or buy an item coated in dog urine?

Feb 2, 2022
Hartland, Bideford, Devon, UK
Funster No
MH
Ixeo 1744
Exp
I’m newbie
I totally understand where your coming from,
I have a dog that slobbers so always caution of stalls / shops etc .
Not sure if you put a up reminder sign to dogs owners to make them aware, but that’s something I would do ,
I’m sure dog owners wouldn’t be offended by a sign reminding them of there responsibilitys
at the end of day is your livelihood.

May 13, 2016
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
eight years in theory, a newby in practice!!!
We've got a male dog and I'm really pleased to say that he doesn't cock his leg to pee. He's never once had to stop at a lamppost or a stallholders stall ;)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
Don’t know if this could be of any use but earlier this year I stayed at a hotel in Sweden where the same day there was a large dog show. All the bins and posts had cling film wrapped around them which had me puzzled at first, but when I asked someone there I was told it was to stop the dogs peeking up them as they didn’t like it, have to say it certainly worked 👍🏻 don’t know if this can be applied in your situation though ?

Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
Don’t know if this could be of any use but earlier this year I stayed at a hotel in Sweden where the same day there was a large dog show. All the bins and posts had cling film wrapped around them which had me puzzled at first, but when I asked someone there I was told it was to stop the dogs peeking up them as they didn’t like it, have to say it certainly worked 👍🏻 don’t know if this can be applied in your situation though ?
Shouldn't have to do that. If I had a stall and a dog peed on something I would expect the dogs owner to buy it 🤷‍♂️ 🤷‍♂️

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Isn't it a pain....When we had trade space at shows, we had to stop using the roll-up banners, because little dogs on long leads would pee all over them filling the cassette up! Almost every single day I see members from the caravan club next door, stop at our entrance while their dog pees against our campsite A-frame. I've had words before, but Siân now insists I ignore it.

Seems to me that there is some sort of equation going on. Katie is doing A level maths, I should put her to work on it. It's something like, :D
  • SSS = Size of the dog
  • YYY = Yap factor (how much the dog barks)
  • LLL = Length of the retractable lead
  • D = Dumbass Ignorance
D=S×YLD = \frac{S \times Y}{L}D=LS×Y

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
Perhaps the organisers could take some responsible action to help focus dog owners by making it clear when booking, that any such action will result in the dogs owners being required to leave.
It might not be a workable solution but at least it shows they recognise the issue.

I would add that leaving bowls of water for dogs might be a nice gesture, but isn't that only potentially adding to the likelihood of dogs peeing where they shouldn't, albeit on someone else's stand/table/display? It's not a stall owners responsibility to provide water for dogs or ice cream for hot children!

Nov 3, 2020
Up the Hamble
Funster No
MH
Ace Siena
Exp
Since 2019
I have seen bottles of water used for the same purpose - strategically placed at likely peeing points they seem to deter dogs from cocking their legs . . .

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
My three girls often cock their legs to have a pee, it's simply their way of marking the territory after another, probably male, dog had already peed on there ... It's how they properly reach the area to make their pee more 'important'.

I certainly wouldn't let them do it on other people's property at a show, campsite etc, but street furniture (lampposts etc) are fair game.

Jan 28, 2016
Stockport, Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bravaria i740 AClass
Sat outside a restaurant in Spain last night a dog had a pee against the wall of a shop. The owner had some sort of disenfectant spray she used on it. 5 mins later the shop owner cobbed a bucket of water over it.

OP
OP
Feltwell
Aug 27, 2014
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
McLouis Tandy 640+
Exp
Since 2014
I would add that leaving bowls of water for dogs might be a nice gesture, but isn't that only potentially adding to the likelihood of dogs peeing where they shouldn't, albeit on someone else's stand/table/display? It's not a stall owners responsibility to provide water for dogs or ice cream for hot children!
Yes, I'm just soft on dogs and recognise that often there's not much water around for them. The kids can talk for themselves, the parents can sort them out!

Especially if I'm on a corner pitch, it tends to be item furthest out on the corner that cops it. I have thought of putting something "sacrificial" out there for the little beggars to pee up.

Once, just once, I had an owner allow their dog to defecate in the stand area and just walk off without clearing it up. I sell poo bags as well, and would have given them one. No excuse for that. In context though, that is one (very) bad owner out of many hundreds of good ones, and I do recognise how motorhomes and dogs do go well together.

OP
OP
Feltwell
Aug 27, 2014
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
McLouis Tandy 640+
Exp
Since 2014
One of my biker chums has a Doberman dog who dislikes the rain so when my pal opens the kitchen door he just sticks his rear half out, has a wee and comes in again.
My old dog used to just stand inside the back door if it was raining, looking up at me as if to say "It's raining, do you think I'm stupid?". He'd only go out in the rain if I went with him :rolleyes:

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Isn't it a pain....When we had trade space at shows, we had to stop using the roll-up banners, because little dogs on long leads would pee all over them filling the cassette up! Almost every single day I see members from the caravan club next door, stop at our entrance while their dog pees against our campsite A-frame. I've had words before, but Siân now insists I ignore it.

Seems to me that there is some sort of equation going on. Katie is doing A level maths, I should put her to work on it. It's something like, :D
  • SSS = Size of the dog
  • YYY = Yap factor (how much the dog barks)
  • LLL = Length of the retractable lead
  • D = Dumbass Ignorance
D=S×YLD = \frac{S \times Y}{L}D=LS×Y
And if you challenge them their answer is...its only pee...to which I usually reply...THEN its OK for me to come and pee up your van then...They usually walk off countering.. BUSBY..

Feb 12, 2018
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 600SL
Exp
Since 2017
Isn't it a pain..………..Almost every single day I see members from the caravan club next door, stop at our entrance while their dog pees against our campsite A-frame…………

Perhaps the Tuggers from next door are trying to tell you something! :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Seriously, I really do get annoyed when dog owners allow their animals to use our MoHo as a toilet.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back