A plea - to all those with male dogs attending motorhome shows (2 Viewers)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Jan 17, 2014
Wellington, Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 1977
Feltwell, I sympathise with you as we used to trade at shows. At one when my thirty something year old son was with us a lady blatently allowed her dog to pee up a pole of our Party Tent, without a second thought he held up a bottle of water and asked her to wash it off. She did and I think she got the message!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
My three girls often cock their legs to have a pee, it's simply their way of marking the territory after another, probably male, dog had already peed on there ... It's how they properly reach the area to make their pee more 'important'.

I certainly wouldn't let them do it on other people's property at a show, campsite etc, but street furniture (lampposts etc) are fair game.

If my daughters did that I would have a word........

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
My old dog used to just stand inside the back door if it was raining, looking up at me as if to say "It's raining, do you think I'm stupid?". He'd only go out in the rain if I went with him :rolleyes:
Ours used to check front and back doors then sit cross legged until I went out with an umbrella to keep her dry.........

Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
Shouldn't have to do that. If I had a stall and a dog peed on something I would expect the dogs owner to buy it 🤷‍♂️ 🤷‍♂️

So would I, it's damaged goods and I would have a big sign saying it.

I have a post at the end of my garden hedge, beside a public footpath. Every dog, both male & female, and their mate stops and has a pee.

It STINKS, especially on a hot day when I'm working on my MH, beside the hedge, on my driveway! 🤬😡

I have put down coffee grounds, chilli peppers, curry powder and everything in between, all to no avail! 😡

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
So would I, it's damaged goods and I would have a big sign saying it.

I have a post at the end of my garden hedge, beside a public footpath. Every dog, both male & female, and their mate stops and has a pee.

It STINKS, especially on a hot day when I'm working on my MH, beside the hedge, on my driveway! 🤬😡

I have put down coffee grounds, chilli peppers, curry powder and everything in between, all to no avail! 😡
Similar to my place. I sprinkle diluted Jeyes Fluid from a watering can. Disinfects and seems to largely deter them from stopping.

May 26, 2016
north wales
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
moderate
Similar to my place. I sprinkle diluted Jeyes Fluid from a watering can. Disinfects and seems to largely deter them from stopping.
Problem is, Jeyes fluid smell will deter anybody from stopping.

Don't these people ever leave their dogs in the motorhome for a couple of hours? Especially if the weather is cool.
If the weather is hot, then leave them at home or with a neighbour or.......something.

Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
A question I should have asked earlier, will Jeyes Fluid kill or damage the hedge? 🤔

Oct 25, 2016
Hartford Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 79-
Exp
Lots but slow learner.
Just expanding a little on the dog owners if i'm allowed.
Yesterday we followed a mature couple into a supermarket. They were each carrying a small dog (don't know the model).
On entereing the supermarket they both collected a basket each and put one dog in each basket to do their shopping.
Now people are putting their food in these baskets and they put their dogs in.
Dynamite. Don't agree with it one bit.

Aug 19, 2014
Cliftonville
Funster No
MH
A Class Burstner
Exp
Since 2014
I was on a beach 3 weeks ago with our two Golden Retrievers. I got talking to a lady and so we were speaking her dog ( a Yorkie), pissed up my leg! Her response was - oh he’s always doing it….Grrr

Thankfully I had shorts on and washed my legs in the sea….

She thought I was rude in my response to her!

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
A question I should have asked earlier, will Jeyes Fluid kill or damage the hedge? 🤔
My hedge has a low 4 course brick wall in front of it which is where I dribble the Jeyes.
A browse on the Jeyes website is informative.......I guess a high dilution should be O.K.

1720946315054.png

The slightest smell should be enough to deter dogs whose sense of smell is thousands of times more sensitive than ours..

1720946545947.png

Last edited:

cheyanne

Free Member
May 7, 2013
Dorset
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyanne
Exp
newbie, years of tent camping
Our dogs stay in The van when we go to any shows, one is nervous of other dogs, personally I don’t think dogs should be allowed to be with their owners walking round stalls, in addition to the pee problem , people
have them on long leads, many retractable and dont keep them close I’ve seen injuries from thes leads and they are a trip hazard as too many people don’t watch their dogs, I recently saw another dog attack a small dog both on leads, the dog was injured it shouldn’t have happened, the owners were not paying attention, I don’t think it’s fair on the dogs to drag them round stalls with crowds of people. Our have been trained to stay in the van for long periods, it can be done, they don’t bark unless someone come too close then they are on the defence, we no longer go to shows because of the bad dog owners and since lockdown it’s got worse, people may not agree with me, but that’s my opinion, I feel the same about any kind of show especially if it’s hot they not are places for dogs, and they are dogs not babies.

Sep 21, 2016
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
Frankia i740
Exp
since 2007
I agree, leave the dogs in the van. On a hot day I leave them with 4 to 6 battery powered fans clipped securely on overhead cupboard handles. We recently left them for 4 hours on a hot day, when we returned I was so pleased at how cool the van was for them.

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
Dogs are clearly enough of a problem for the OP to make this request, I’m not anti dog but I do think whilst they may be company for some they can also be problematic. When did long leads become a ‘thing’ letting dogs ‘run free’ as if it’s a right yet many are hunting dogs and will upset ground nesting birds or other wildlife.

A well trained dog is a pleasure to watch in public but they are few and far between

Controversial comment but it’s how I and many see it 🍿

Sep 21, 2016
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
Frankia i740
Exp
since 2007
I don't agree with letting dogs run free. My dog had 14 years of on lead walks if I ever let him off lead he would just sit next to me looking up for guidance as to what's this all about?:giggle: as I have said on here before he had his own acres of fields here to run freely on and he knew that was the only time he could do that.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I don't agree with letting dogs run free. My dog had 14 years of on lead walks if I ever let him off lead he would just sit next to me looking up for guidance as to what's this all about?:giggle: as I have said on here before he had his own acres of fields here to run freely on and he knew that was the only time he could do that.
Not everyone has acres of land to let their dogs run around on and keeping them on leads constantly with no freedom at all IMV is cruel. Let them run around off lead but in a suitable area.

Sep 21, 2016
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
Frankia i740
Exp
since 2007
Not everyone has acres of land to let their dogs run around on and keeping them on leads constantly with no freedom at all IMV is cruel. Let them run around off lead but in a suitable area.
I get your point but I could never let him off lead around here and he accepted that. On our regular local morning walk we were surrounded by live stock in most of the fields. When he was a puppy I let him run free until he came out of the bushes with a live baby rabbit squealing in his mouth, that was awful.

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
To me Dogs are working animals and have to be well trained, like this

MikePilot

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2023
Funster No
MH
Carthago 64XL QB MB
As some of you know, I'm a trader and run a motorhome accessories stall at some of the main shows, as well as an online business.

This post is simply a plea - to all those with male dogs who attend the shows, It is emphatically not an anti-dog post, I love dogs and must make a fuss of at least a hundred during the course of each show. Please don't try to turn this into an anti-dog post, it's not. I'm perfectly happy that folks bring their dogs to the shows, in fact I always have a bowl of water out for them.

The plea is a simple one - watch your dog and make sure he doesn't pee up any part of a trader's stall or stock. Without exception, at every single show I attend at some point a male dog will pee on some stock or on one of the tablecloths. It usually happens at least 2 or 3 times at every show - I carry an anti-fouling spray with me, which gets applied immediately if I spot one, as once one has peed they all then want to pee on the same spot.

Some of it is irresponsible owners - I have seen them just stand there and watch their dog do it. A good chunk though is just inattentive owners. Walk them first - encourage them to pee up the wheelie bins, lamp posts, fences - no one cares about those - but don't let them pee up our stock. I, and most other stallholders, will definitely challenge anyone we see.

After all, would you want to handle or buy an item coated in dog urine?
We need to being in the European laws that say you have to clean up after your dog pees. A squeeze bottle with water and disinfectant. People will start to take more notice where their dog pees . Dog pee is also very corrosive.

Jul 27, 2013
Wilts/Oxon border
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since childhood!
Just expanding a little on the dog owners if i'm allowed.
Yesterday we followed a mature couple into a supermarket. They were each carrying a small dog (don't know the model).
On entereing the supermarket they both collected a basket each and put one dog in each basket to do their shopping.
Now people are putting their food in these baskets and they put their dogs in.
Dynamite. Don't agree with it one bit.
That is absolutely gross and the staff should have stopped it, and removed the baskets for cleaning. Mind you, some of the kids climbing around in trolleys put you off having to put anything in them ever again.

Jul 27, 2013
Wilts/Oxon border
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since childhood!
I agree, leave the dogs in the van. On a hot day I leave them with 4 to 6 battery powered fans clipped securely on overhead cupboard handles. We recently left them for 4 hours on a hot day, when we returned I was so pleased at how cool the van was for them.
Totally agree. I find it amazing the numbers of people who seem to be unfazed by dragging their dogs around festivals and events in very hot weather while the dog is panting heavily and looking very unhappy.

Sep 26, 2019
Funster No
MH
AutoSleeper Broadway
Exp
Since 2013
As some of you know, I'm a trader and run a motorhome accessories stall at some of the main shows, as well as an online business.

This post is simply a plea - to all those with male dogs who attend the shows, It is emphatically not an anti-dog post, I love dogs and must make a fuss of at least a hundred during the course of each show. Please don't try to turn this into an anti-dog post, it's not. I'm perfectly happy that folks bring their dogs to the shows, in fact I always have a bowl of water out for them.

The plea is a simple one - watch your dog and make sure he doesn't pee up any part of a trader's stall or stock. Without exception, at every single show I attend at some point a male dog will pee on some stock or on one of the tablecloths. It usually happens at least 2 or 3 times at every show - I carry an anti-fouling spray with me, which gets applied immediately if I spot one, as once one has peed they all then want to pee on the same spot.

Some of it is irresponsible owners - I have seen them just stand there and watch their dog do it. A good chunk though is just inattentive owners. Walk them first - encourage them to pee up the wheelie bins, lamp posts, fences - no one cares about those - but don't let them pee up our stock. I, and most other stallholders, will definitely challenge anyone we see.

After all, would you want to handle or buy an item coated in dog urine?
As a male dog owner I completely agree.
Dogs will be dogs, however owners have their part to play. I would recommend that all dog owners carry a container of water based solution to spray in case the dog pees anywhere. Obviously it's better that the dog doesn't pee against traders stalls and plant pots etc.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
My three girls often cock their legs to have a pee, it's simply their way of marking the territory after another, probably male, dog had already peed on there ... It's how they properly reach the area to make their pee more 'important'.

I certainly wouldn't let them do it on other people's property at a show, campsite etc, but street furniture (lampposts etc) are fair game.
And it rots/rusts lamp posts and signs..BUSBY..

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back