A new adventure to Africa (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Aug 20, 2019
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Pulse
Exp
Motorhoming since 2020
Hi all. The journey to a new continent starts here at a stormy Newhaven port. We've only taken the ferry once before last July so not sure what to expect re sea sickness with the strong winds today 🤢

As we always had Beech with us on our previous adventures we always chose the tunnel for her convenience. Sadly we had to say goodbye to her in October 2022. Though we actually did do one last adventure 'of sorts' with her last July as we took her ashes with on our short summer holiday to France.

After much debate about which of the special locations to scatter her ashes from the many she had visited with us on our previous 2 excursions, we settled on a place close to the Col du petite san Bernard in the Alps.

2 years earlier we had a very memorable stay there for several days and did some wonderful hikes into the mountains, summiting Lance Branlette just shy of 3000m altitude and playing in mountain streams surrounded by beautiful Alpine flowers.

This time we set out early on a beautiful July morning with her ashes stowed in the pack and made our way up across a desserted meadow. Well desserted of people but I had to stop every few minutes to photograph all the gorgeous flowers (as a gardener by trade it's amazing to see plants I would buy from the garden centre growing wild up there)

We found the same stream high on the mountain that was the most memorable from last time and we said goodbye to her properly.

Here's a few of pics from that day.
PXL_20230719_091400992.jpg

PXL_20230719_073450786.jpg
PXL_20230719_072612317.jpg
PXL_20230719_072538987.jpg
PXL_20230719_073928704.jpg
PXL_20230719_081831727.jpg

So on to the next adventure we are heading down to Morocco over the next week or so.

Bombing south for the weather as quickly as possible with an aim to visit Seville as we had a short stop there previously but having the dog we couldn't explore the city in depth.

Shrimp

Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
Sorry to hear about Beech, must have missed the post.
A really lovely spot for Beech, we took our JRT ashes to a beach in France that she loved, I’m sure her spirit is still exploring the beach.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

dryad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2010
hermit in beautiful coastal east kent
Funster No
MH
citroen relay pvc
Exp
quite a few years now, and loving every minute..
Hi all. The journey to a new continent starts here at a stormy Newhaven port. We've only taken the ferry once before last July so not sure what to expect re sea sickness with the strong winds today 🤢

As we always had Beech with us on our previous adventures we always chose the tunnel for her convenience. Sadly we had to say goodbye to her in October 2022. Though we actually did do one last adventure 'of sorts' with her last July as we took her ashes with on our short summer holiday to France.

After much debate about which of the special locations to scatter her ashes from the many she had visited with us on our previous 2 excursions, we settled on a place close to the Col du petite san Bernard in the Alps.

2 years earlier we had a very memorable stay there for several days and did some wonderful hikes into the mountains, summiting Lance Branlette just shy of 3000m altitude and playing in mountain streams surrounded by beautiful Alpine flowers.

This time we set out early on a beautiful July morning with her ashes stowed in the pack and made our way up across a desserted meadow. Well desserted of people but I had to stop every few minutes to photograph all the gorgeous flowers (as a gardener by trade it's amazing to see plants I would buy from the garden centre growing wild up there)

We found the same stream high on the mountain that was the most memorable from last time and we said goodbye to her properly.

Here's a few of pics from that day.View attachment 849553
View attachment 849554View attachment 849555View attachment 849556View attachment 849557View attachment 849558

So on to the next adventure we are heading down to Morocco over the next week or so.

Bombing south for the weather as quickly as possible with an aim to visit Seville as we had a short stop there previously but having the dog we couldn't explore the city in depth.

what glorious views there, stunning place to leave beech to run free as it were, sadly missed no doubt but wonderful memories of a much loved companion..

Dec 17, 2016
Malvern
Funster No
MH
Hymer B525 2006 A cl
Exp
Have a great trip, sorry to hear about Beech and the stormy Channel

OP
OP
Helen Ariel
Aug 20, 2019
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Pulse
Exp
Motorhoming since 2020
Lovely to see lots of familiar names liking and commenting from previous years travels. Thank you for following. Crossing was horrendous and I think I spent a least an hour on the floor of the disabled toilet. Honestly thought Paul was going to have to carry me to the van but it calmed down nearer France and as quickly as it came on I was back to normal.

May 8, 2010
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2010
Have great trip.
So sorry to hear about Beech😪.
Your trip will certainly be different without a dog. I'm not sure that I'd like to take a dog to Morocco, particularly as the Spanish authorities are insisting that titre tests are carried out in an EU country.
I'll be following your travels.👍

cliffanger

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2013
Saltford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013
Lovely to see lots of familiar names liking and commenting from previous years travels. Thank you for following. Crossing was horrendous and I think I spent a least an hour on the floor of the disabled toilet. Honestly thought Paul was going to have to carry me to the van but it calmed down nearer France and as quickly as it came on I was back to normal.
Looking forward to following your trip. 👍

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
All the gear, and no idea!
Have great trip.
So sorry to hear about Beech😪.
Your trip will certainly be different without a dog. I'm not sure that I'd like to take a dog to Morocco, particularly as the Spanish authorities are insisting that titre tests are carried out in an EU country.
I'll be following your travels.👍
Yes that new rule has caught a few out in the last few weeks🤷‍♂️

OP
OP
Helen Ariel
Aug 20, 2019
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Pulse
Exp
Motorhoming since 2020
Just parked up in a little town between Tours & Poitiers where we hoped to grab some food but everything is closed so noodles and spring rolls for tea tonight, although I was very tempted by the pizza vending machine…
A firm no from Helen soon put paid to that!

IMG_0289.png

Early to bed and an early start tomorrow so we can get over the border into Spain.

Have a great Hogmanay everyone!

Paul

cliffanger

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2013
Saltford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013
Just parked up in a little town between Tours & Poitiers where we hoped to grab some food but everything is closed so noodles and spring rolls for tea tonight, although I was very tempted by the pizza vending machine…

View attachment 849785

Early to bed and an early start tomorrow so we can get over the border into Spain.

Paul
Sunday and Monday in France are very often too quiet for me! yodeli Frankie told me years ago that French labour laws are such that shop and service employees are to have two consecutive days off - hence shops and cafes also being closed on a Monday!

We never seem to get used to it and are caught out most trips! :rofl:

Countrylad

Free Member
Jan 1, 2024
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet

Paul
Good to hear you are embracing the fabulous French cuisine

Xx for 2024 - an African Odyssey

Jonathon

OP
OP
Helen Ariel
Aug 20, 2019
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Pulse
Exp
Motorhoming since 2020
Another big days travelling sees us parked up over looking a nudist beach just outside Vitoria-Gasteiz. Started off grey and showery in France but once we got south of Bordeaux the skies cleared to azure blue and the temperature went up to 15c. Nice to feel the warmth of the sun again!
Driving through the Basque region reminded us how claustrophobic it feels; we’ll be glad to leave it tomorrow. It may have an amazing coastline but it’s not our favourite part of Spain. The architecture, industrial landscape and strange spellings on road signs have a strangely Eastern European vibe.
We only have a 3G signal so might have to add pics tomorrow as they’re taking forever to upload.

Sep 16, 2010
Bungay Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail TrackerEKS
Exp
Since 2010

Here's a few of pics from that day.View attachment 849553
View attachment 849554View attachment 849555View attachment 849556View attachment 849557View attachment 849558

See you down here then.
Got to Morocco for our 2nd visit yesterday.
Going slowly down the coast.
Mitch

Oct 18, 2021
Mid Devon
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact SC
Exp
Camping since 1954, MoHo 2022
Looking forward to this thread as I found your previous ones very engaging with lots of really useful information to glean. We’re off to southern Portugal and adjacent Spain in late February and will be in the Seville area for the Easter Week fiestas, so relating your experience of the city will be welcome. (y)

Sorry to hear about Beech but you gave a her a fitting final send off - well done.

Stonemags76

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2011
Derbyshire Dales
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleepers Warwick Duo
Exp
Full Time 2011-2013, now part timers!
Another big days travelling sees us parked up over looking a nudist beach just outside Vitoria-Gasteiz. Started off grey and showery in France but once we got south of Bordeaux the skies cleared to azure blue and the temperature went up to 15c. Nice to feel the warmth of the sun again!
Driving through the Basque region reminded us how claustrophobic it feels; we’ll be glad to leave it tomorrow. It may have an amazing coastline but it’s not our favourite part of Spain. The architecture, industrial landscape and strange spellings on road signs have a strangely Eastern European vibe.
We only have a 3G signal so might have to add pics tomorrow as they’re taking forever to upload.
I also find the basque region claustrophobic! I thought I was the only one, as everyone seems to think it’s beautiful! It doesn’t help that we are usually passing through in winter, & drizzle!

OP
OP
Helen Ariel
Aug 20, 2019
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Pulse
Exp
Motorhoming since 2020
I also find the basque region claustrophobic! I thought I was the only one, as everyone seems to think it’s beautiful! It doesn’t help that we are usually passing through in winter, & drizzle!
We've been here in summer too. It is beautiful in parts particularly the beaches but it's not motorhome friendly and I find the building style really menacing!

OP
OP
Helen Ariel
Aug 20, 2019
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Pulse
Exp
Motorhoming since 2020
A few pics now I've got 5 g.
Happy to see some blue sky yesterday over the Pyrenees and beautiful calm waters where we spent a really peaceful night's sleep.
PXL_20240101_144658332.jpg
PXL_20240101_164344462.jpg
PXL_20240101_165319436.jpg
PXL_20240101_165419676.NIGHT.jpg
PXL_20240101_165449698.jpg

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries