6m or 6.36m pvc?

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Swift Bolero
Exp
Like quite a few people, we made the decision to downsize from our 7.3m coachbuilt which we owned for 5 years, to a PVC, for several reasons, most of which have been discussed in previous threads. We couldn't decide on whether to go for a 6m van or go for the slightly longer wheelbase version the 6.36m. We looked at numerous different makes and models, different layouts etc, but favoured the twin longitudinal bed rear lounge layout, as it worked for us very well in the Swift Coachbuilt we owned previously. We decided on a new Autotrail V Line 635SE and took delivery a month ago. We liked the fact it had a small dinette area at the front with both front seats being able to swivel round to face the small removable table. Ideal for having lunch and coffee breaks etc. We also liked the fact it seemed quite spacious compared to other models we viewed, and you didn't feel claustrophobic in the middle of the van. It has lots of locker space, ample draws and storage, and hopefully we will get used to having less space when we head for Spain and Portugal in April for 7/8 weeks. It was quite amazing when we cleared out our coachbuilt, the amount of stuff we carried that we never used, and will not be taken with us in the new van. I'm not not sure yet about the new Euro 6 Diesel engine, (Fiat Ducato based), we've done about 700 miles so far. One thing I have been made aware of from other comments I've read is that they do use a lot more oil that you would expect, and you need to check the oil on a regular basis. I never put a drop of oil in our Coachbuilt which had the Euro 4 engine, and in some 30,000 miles was absolutely fantastic. I hope the Euro 6 engine proves to be as good. One thing I've discovered already, is that it is almost impossible to accurately check the engine oil level. The Petronas SAE 0W-30 Selenia Oil is so thin you cannot hardly see it on the dipstick, and as you remove the dipstick to check the level it smears right up the dipstick. I read on the forums it is such a problem that other owners contacted the AA and RAC to check their oil levels, and the roadside patrol men couldn't do it either, and suggested the owners take the van into a main dealer for them to carry out an oil change to be sure of the correct level!
I hope the van proves to be as good in time as our older coachbuilt, apart from one or two niggly faults, which I sorted myself, the build quality seems acceptable. It drives very nicely, and cruises at 70 plus comfortably.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Swift Bolero
Exp
Like quite a few people, we made the decision to downsize from our 7.3m coachbuilt which we owned for 5 years, to a PVC, for several reasons, most of which have been discussed in previous threads. We couldn't decide on whether to go for a 6m van or go for the slightly longer wheelbase version the 6.36m. We looked at numerous different makes and models, different layouts etc, but favoured the twin longitudinal bed rear lounge layout, as it worked for us very well in the Swift Coachbuilt we owned previously. We decided on a new Autotrail V Line 635SE and took delivery a month ago. We liked the fact it had a small dinette area at the front with both front seats being able to swivel round to face the small removable table. Ideal for having lunch and coffee breaks etc. We also liked the fact it seemed quite spacious compared to other models we viewed, and you didn't feel claustrophobic in the middle of the van. It has lots of locker space, ample draws and storage, and hopefully we will get used to having less space when we head for Spain and Portugal in April for 7/8 weeks. It was quite amazing when we cleared out our coachbuilt, the amount of stuff we carried that we never used, and will not be taken with us in the new van. I'm not not sure yet about the new Euro 6 Diesel engine, (Fiat Ducato based), we've done about 700 miles so far. One thing I have been made aware of from other comments I've read is that they do use a lot more oil that you would expect, and you need to check the oil on a regular basis. I never put a drop of oil in our Coachbuilt which had the Euro 4 engine, and in some 30,000 miles was absolutely fantastic. I hope the Euro 6 engine proves to be as good. One thing I've discovered already, is that it is almost impossible to accurately check the engine oil level. The Petronas SAE 0W-30 Selenia Oil is so thin you cannot hardly see it on the dipstick, and as you remove the dipstick to check the level it smears right up the dipstick. I read on the forums it is such a problem that other owners contacted the AA and RAC to check their oil levels, and the roadside patrol men couldn't do it either, and suggested the owners take the van into a main dealer for them to carry out an oil change to be sure of the correct level!
I hope the van proves to be as good in time as our older coachbuilt, apart from one or two niggly faults, which I sorted myself, the build quality seems acceptable. It drives very nicely, and cruises at 70 plus comfortably.

Cheshirecat57

Free Member
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years on and off
How long are the single beds in the V Line, we looked at them and they measured short compared to the brochure.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Swift Bolero
Exp
The near side bed is slightly longer than the offside one. (6’2” I think). I am 6’1” and sleep on the near side no problem. The beds pull out to form a large double, either longways or transverse. I seem to recall the brochure says the offside single bed is about 5’9/5’10”, which is about right. My wife is 5’9” and finds the bed fine. She usually opens the bed up half way to give her extra leg room. Our young springer spaniel sleeps by the sliding door.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
AutoTrail V line 635se
Exp
Caravanner since 1993
The near side bed is slightly longer than the offside one. (6’2” I think). I am 6’1” and sleep on the near side no problem. The beds pull out to form a large double, either longways or transverse. I seem to recall the brochure says the offside single bed is about 5’9/5’10”, which is about right. My wife is 5’9” and finds the bed fine. She usually opens the bed up half way to give her extra leg room. Our young springer spaniel sleeps by the sliding door.
Correct,we've just bought this exact model I'm 6ft 1 and sleep on the nearside my 5ft 4 wife on the other. We had 7.4m coach-built with high level beds over a huge garage but we've found like yourself that there is good storage in the 635 and a lot of stuff we had doesn't need to be taken once your in a PVC rather than a delicate coach-built. The build isn't as good as the Europeans but we wanted a comfortable lounge to stretch out in in the UK in autumn winter and spring a bit of an area to sit by the door and to thave a seating area to lunch when stopping off in a rest stop on the journey on the autobahns etc and a long wind out awning in Europe in the summer so 635 it was. Driving it has been a breeze and so relaxing. Glad you mentioned about the oil , I thought the oil level was done by Paul Daniels it disappears so much. Ps the oil makes gold look cheap when you have to buy a gallon lol

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Benimar 486 tessoro
Exp
2010?
Just a question, on a auto trail V-Line se, if fitting an awning in the top rail does it go as far to completely cover the door opening?

Neckender

Free Member
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
VW T6.1Kombi day Van
Exp
Since 2004
I have a 2017 euro 6 van with 10,500 miles on the clock and I’ve only had to top up less than a 1/4 of a litre of oil since new.

John.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
AutoTrail V line 635se
Exp
Caravanner since 1993
Just a question, on a auto trail V-Line se, if fitting an awning in the top rail does it go as far to completely cover the door opening?
Not sure of your question but I'll try. Do you mean fitting a drive away awning into the kadar slot then yes just, in that the awning goes to just past the front of the side door I would say by an inch (30mm ) max. But it's not a clone thing it's that the Ducato van roof comes down to the windscreen about here. Or if your question is does the roll out Thule awaning cover the open door yes it does. Finally just clarify the vline comes with the awning fitted the tribute version van doesn't. Hope this helps if not ask me again

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Benimar 486 tessoro
Exp
2010?
Thanks
We have awning at the moment that we run in thru the track of the Thule awning so I just wandered does it cover door opening, in other words I would like to have awning up and doorway if van fit nicely in opening

dazkim

Free Member
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Auto trail tribute 680GT
Not sure of your question but I'll try. Do you mean fitting a drive away awning into the kadar slot then yes just, in that the awning goes to just past the front of the side door I would say by an inch (30mm ) max. But it's not a clone thing it's that the Ducato van roof comes down to the windscreen about here. Or if your question is does the roll out Thule awaning cover the open door yes it does. Finally just clarify the vline comes with the awning fitted the tribute version van doesn't. Hope this helps if not ask me again
We collect the 2019 tribute 680 on Thursday and can confirm that it does come with the Thule awning as standard because they are all being fitted with the GT pack

Attachments

• B6548FF9-CAA2-4B60-B3E5-735C427299DD.png
    B6548FF9-CAA2-4B60-B3E5-735C427299DD.png
    648.7 KB · Views: 38
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Benimar 486 tessoro
Exp
2010?
Fix it like this over door ?

Attachments

• 14D4A0CA-1635-4F7A-A954-53BD56A49769.png
    14D4A0CA-1635-4F7A-A954-53BD56A49769.png
    938.6 KB · Views: 62
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
AutoTrail V line 635se
Exp
Caravanner since 1993
Thanks
We have awning at the moment that we run in thru the track of the Thule awning so I just wandered does it cover door opening, in other words I would like to have awning up and doorway if van fit nicely in opening
Ah. I would say that yes it goes over the door. All I would say is that you might want to try or get an eyes on just to make sure your side wall clears the opening etc. As sides usually taper outwards you will probably be fine.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
AutoTrail V line 635se
Exp
Caravanner since 1993
Fix it like this over door ?
You should be ok. Just to point out though that the awning whilst being the same with same slot , it's mounted more horizontally than vertically as on your van in the picture. So it might .Make the back edge stand away from the side of the van slightly.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
AutoTrail V line 635se
Exp
Caravanner since 1993
We collect the 2019 tribute 680 on Thursday and can confirm that it does come with the Thule awning as standard because they are all being fitted with the GT pack
Yes your right I forgot they've added to get pack at the mo. Makes them a great buy at the mo

Last edited:
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Swift Bolero
Exp
Has anyone with a Euro 6 V Line had problems with oil consumption and difficulty getting an accurate reading on the dipstick? I checked the oil yesterday, we’ve covered 700 miles, I thought it looked as though the level was around the MIN mark on the dipstick, it was very difficult to see exactly, I put 500ml in and checked again and thought it looked overfilled somewhat. The oil is so very thin and seems to smear up the dipstick? Is it me?

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
AutoTrail V line 635se
Exp
Caravanner since 1993
Has anyone with a Euro 6 V Line had problems with oil consumption and difficulty getting an accurate reading on the dipstick? I checked the oil yesterday, we’ve covered 700 miles, I thought it looked as though the level was around the MIN mark on the dipstick, it was very difficult to see exactly, I put 500ml in and checked again and thought it looked overfilled somewhat. The oil is so very thin and seems to smear up the dipstick? Is it me?
No it's not you it's virtually invisable. Our 2017 euro 6 went from full to 2/3 down to the Min mark on the dip stick. And if we were on a 1 Deg slope the display changed in the dash to 4 dots not 5. But on checking with fiat they said don't worry it's normal and anywhere on the dip stick is good. And it proved to be so. On our new van it's not moved and we don't get 4 dots. So no wiser. It does seem that as long as there is oil between the marks it's ok. ???.

dazkim

Free Member
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Auto trail tribute 680GT
Yes your right I forgot they've added to get pack at the mo. Makes them a great buy at the mo
That’s right we looked at both the tribute and the V-Line and couldn’t justify the difference in cost so went with the tribute as it also comes with alloys reversing camera solar panel and awning..

f6c

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu 640
Exp
24 Years
When the oil gets a bit dirty you will be able to see it on the dipstick. and the oil consumption will dramatically slow down. Enjoy(y)

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Swift Bolero
Exp
Hi, unfortunately although we have the 635SE V Line we don’t have the benefit of an oil indication level gauge on the dash Dacia, so I shall have to rely on a good old dipstick!

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
AutoTrail V line 635se
Exp
Caravanner since 1993
That’s right we looked at both the tribute and the V-Line and couldn’t justify the difference in cost so went with the tribute as it also comes with alloys reversing camera solar panel and awning..
Wow they are we got the v line as adding in the extras you've listed took the price close to the vline. If all those are now in its a no brainer. Might go back to the shop for swopsis lol

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Swift Bolero
Exp
We did look at a Tribute 680 together with the 635SE, but the single beds were much to short to sleep on lengthways, and they felt somewhat clostrophobic and very enclosed to my wife. So we went for the 635 with the longer single beds and a nice little dinette set up with both front seats swivelling to face the table. We looked at a couple of European vans but I don’t think the build quality was that much better for the extra £8/10k.

dazkim

Free Member
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Auto trail tribute 680GT
We did look at a Tribute 680 together with the 635SE, but the single beds were much to short to sleep on lengthways, and they felt somewhat clostrophobic and very enclosed to my wife. So we went for the 635 with the longer single beds and a nice little dinette set up with both front seats swivelling to face the table. We looked at a couple of European vans but I don’t think the build quality was that much better for the extra £8/10k.
We require the 4 traveling seats so the 680 was the 1 for us

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Swift Bolero
Exp
I understand. We only require 2 berth.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
AutoTrail V line 635se
Exp
Caravanner since 1993
We got the vline 635 for the long lounge especially in UK in colder months also looked at the 636 which is the same but tall fridge at the front behind the driver. But we liked the mini longe at the front so youbcan appriciate the open door when you want to, can use the front for an office,use it as a breakfast area and use it on a long trip to have a break stop and leave the seats made up as a bed cos were only travelling and stopping. Espeially in Europe where you sit outside on arrival then just go to bed at 11. So we're very happy with the layout

OP
OP
Dazzler1969

Dazzler1969

Free Member
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
S&L Atlanta PVC
Exp
Since 2015
Hi all,
Well what an interesting day at the NEC! Viewed an awful lot of PVC’s my wife came around to the idea and was insistent on a typical British layout with the lounge at the back like the V-Line 635! Just when I thought the choice was made in comes the sales man and said....... have a look at the autotrail eks, 6.4m coachbuilt and feels loads more roomy inside, still have to make the beds up and only a couple of inches wider but a lot narrower than our Bailey!
Offered a great trade in, I’m now considering it or something similar!
Any thoughts on alternatives as we didn’t see much in sub 7m coachbuilts.

Darren

Last edited:
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Benimar 486 tessoro
Exp
2010?
Have you seen this one ?
It’s what your looking for but would be good to see it st show
We couldn’t get there :(

Attachments

• B663F0E0-A236-4613-B5E0-3369E8DA9433.png
    B663F0E0-A236-4613-B5E0-3369E8DA9433.png
    525.4 KB · Views: 113
  • 38FB7FD2-3031-4F2F-9433-22217355600B.png
    38FB7FD2-3031-4F2F-9433-22217355600B.png
    571.2 KB · Views: 104
  • 9C5A7CAD-6F7F-4E41-A6A3-0EF08DBF3611.png
    9C5A7CAD-6F7F-4E41-A6A3-0EF08DBF3611.png
    554.1 KB · Views: 100
  • B950C511-74F4-4655-9D77-A8BC51D56B8A.png
    B950C511-74F4-4655-9D77-A8BC51D56B8A.png
    511.8 KB · Views: 104
  • 3165C0E9-2101-4B27-AB30-ED3339398B7B.png
    3165C0E9-2101-4B27-AB30-ED3339398B7B.png
    503.8 KB · Views: 109
  • E071527F-65C2-4F8B-83B7-E5B00CB9A4CF.png
    E071527F-65C2-4F8B-83B7-E5B00CB9A4CF.png
    496.2 KB · Views: 118
OP
OP
Dazzler1969

Dazzler1969

Free Member
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
S&L Atlanta PVC
Exp
Since 2015
Yeah, that’s the 635, more comfortable than our Bailey, we looked at one that had the sport pack which gives a wrap around seating lounge, grp rear door and different lockers also had a boot.
That would be my choice but Lou liked the EKS which does feel more spacious and 5” wider.

Darren

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
AutoTrail V line 635se
Exp
Caravanner since 1993
Yeah, that’s the 635, more comfortable than our Bailey, we looked at one that had the sport pack which gives a wrap around seating lounge, grp rear door and different lockers also had a boot.
That would be my choice but Lou liked the EKS which does feel more spacious and 5” wider.

Darren
It depends on how you are using it. If you go campsites and tour in UK you would probably appriciate the slight roomness of the eks. If you go mainly Europe and towns the 635. More how you'd use it than the item itself. We've had two 7.5m coachbuilts and they were great. We then changed what we were doing and now have a Vline 635 and we like this now. Before we wouldn't have enjoyed the vline as much, now we wouldn't enjoy the coach builts as much no wrong Ness just horses for courses at the time.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Back