Cheshirecat57

Free Member
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years on and off
I'm in the middle ( waiting for new van) of downsizing from a Swift coach-built 7.41m to an Adria Twin 640 (6.36m)
We hired a 6.36 and couldn't believe the difference in manoeuvrability compared to fat coach built

Have you looked at Adria which solves the small bathroom issue on 19 models?

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
La strada Avanti
Exp
Since 2013
Also in process of downsizing. Went to try out 6m vans but when discussing options ( potential use as 2nd vehicle, parking on drive and in car parks etc), decided to look at 5.4m. In the end, decided that the pluses of a much smaller van outweighed the half-way house of a 6m. It’s amazing what clever use of space will do!
Will pick up in two weeks. Fingers crossed it’s correct decision.
Good luck with yours.

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
I greatly miss not being able to carry our 2 large sun loungers for starters, just about everything else we have managed with & it hasn't been to much of a problem. The real niggle is there is no spare wheel/tyre.
On my Fixed Bed WildAx Aurora [other similar layouts available ;)] there is masses of underbed storage space for loungers etc.

14.jpg

There is also a full sized spare on the Citroen base

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
Downsized from A class to PVC 5.99m several years ago and had no problems in getting used to the smaller space even with four of us aboard. We wasted so much space in the A class by taking more stuff because we could. Packing took twice as long trying to make sure everything stayed put. Parking much easier with PVC but I agree with others that the overall drive was just more relaxing and despite the gruff Citroen (Ford) engine it was much quieter. We went back up to a 6.3m PVC with the same layout but to be honest for us it was our "motorhome mistake", we should have changed layout instead. The growing boys could fit in the longitudinal beds (which is why we changed) but everything else was the same and it all felt much bigger outside and no bigger inside. The manufacturer just filled the extra few cm with stuff and I had to uprate it to 4250kg because it was on the heavy chassis and I hadn't noticed that there was very limited payload. The extra cm meant a much lower payload. Now down to a HymerCar 5.4m with pop-top and last year toured to Romania with the now grown boys and we all said how roomy it felt! This is our forever van, but we all think that I guess.
Yes, I forgot to mention payload. We have the alko heavy chassis and are very tight on payload for 2. Having move up from a VW T4 size though taking stuff is not an issue for us. We just take a foldup chair each and the 2 Bromptons inside under the bed. No other outside stuff. Usual personal items in cupboards and we are on the 3500kg. Don’t want to uprate because still waiting for my renewal at 70 (now 7 months waiting and counting!) probably won’t bother again.

Last edited:

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
In the IH the beds are the same length in the 600 and the 630RL, the extra space is between the front seats and the wardrobe so you do get the extra room there, we did do our research. Obviously it may be different in other vans. You get two extra useful shallow tall cupboards behind the drivers seat, all the electrics are in one. The battery is also deeply hidden in one and getting at it involves dismantling the lower cupboard! Thank goodness it's 140 and gel.
Did you specify that battery or is it standard.? I’ve no idea what ours is.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
Thats standard or was when we bought ours in march 2015 new.
Ours was built summer 2015, not sure exactly when as we bought it from Southdowns when they ceased to be a dealer for IH.
No info about the battery in the documentation.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Ours was built summer 2015, not sure exactly when as we bought it from Southdowns when they ceased to be a dealer for IH.
No info about the battery in the documentation.
I would imagine yours will be as that’s still what they fit.

Candapack

Free Member
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2013
We went for the V55, from a 7m. Coachbuilt. Currently sitting in it on Spanish Aire in a small town in the hills, having driven through some narrow streets to find a health centre, parked up in 2 very tight car parks, stuff we'd not have done in previous van. Had it 2 years now and don't miss the extra space.
Glad we changed, good luck.

dshague

Free Member
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
VAN CONVERSION
Exp
20 years
we have six foot long beds and lots of storage in our 6mt long van .
new van .png
29597286_1657587427654289_7939762043366549095_n.jpg

OP
OP
Dazzler1969

Dazzler1969

Free Member
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
S&L Atlanta PVC
Exp
Since 2015
@Dazzler1969
Wildax do a PVC called an Aurora - it comes in 2 versions, Fixed Bed or Rear Lounge... it also comes in both lengths, 6m and 6.36m
The basic difference in their options is extra cupboard space, a bigger fridge & a microwave. The furniture, washroom & kitchen are the same in both lengths...
BUT
Wildax will tweak the design to what you want - so for example, if you want twin singles [like @Riverbankannie ] they can do it.

If you're coming to P'Boro show then WildAx are likely to have the variants on display - not necessarily saying you should buy a WildAx but I'm very happy with mine [6m Fixed Bed], but you can compare lengths side by side.
Thanks for that, never considered them prior! Will have a look!
Darren

OP
OP
Dazzler1969

Dazzler1969

Free Member
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
S&L Atlanta PVC
Exp
Since 2015
I'm in the middle ( waiting for new van) of downsizing from a Swift coach-built 7.41m to an Adria Twin 640 (6.36m)
We hired a 6.36 and couldn't believe the difference in manoeuvrability compared to fat coach built

Have you looked at Adria which solves the small bathroom issue on 19 models?
Hi,
Yeah I have seen the Adria models, I love the toilet/shower config! My wife wants something with a rear lounge where as I want a fixed twin bed! Compromise is key so I think we’ll agree to divorce.
Darren

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
We have had 3 PVCs: an Autocruise Accent 6.00m with half-dinette and transverse bed, a Globecar Familyscout L 6.36m with L-shaped lounge and transverse bed, and now a Globecar Campscout with half-dinette and longitudinal single beds or a mahooooosive kingsize! :p

We loved the size of the Accent but decided to get one with more lounging space, hence the Familyscout L but found we actually didn't really use it, so changed it for a half-dinette one with the twin single beds which is by far the best layout for us ... not having to clamber over hubby to get in/out of bed and having a proper 'mini-staircase' makes it easy peasy, it also means that if hubby gets up in the night he doesn't disturb me. We've got oodles of storage space and being on the 6.36m Fiat Maxi Heavy chassis we have a massive payload (we're registered at 4250kg) which we'll never use but it does mean cheaper road tax! (y)

The ONLY way we'd every go back to a coachbuilt would be if it was a narrow one (don't hold your breath though as we love our PVC), and never to a fat one as the narrower width of a PVC really does make driving it much more relaxing plus the handling etc is much, much better than any coachbuilt/A-class. Having the lovely sliding door open and the rear doors is great in hot weather. With our layout we use the rear bed as a separate 'slobbing out' area, giving us in effect 2 lounge areas so we can have our own space if we want it.

As for the length, the extra 36cm you get with the XL ones does make a difference on storage space and bed layout so decide which will suit you best as that is likely to determine which length you get. Parking both means larger spots and/or hanging the 'bum' over something so not much in it really but I'd rather have a slightly longer PVC and have the single beds than have the shorter one and have the inconvenience of scrabbling in/out of bed etc over hubby's belly! :LOL:

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2009
Yes, totally agree @Minxy Girl we have a 7.4 Coachbuilt, next buy once a few life events alter will be a PVC so we can do more travel and less staying. I have looked at so many models but very few with longitudinal beds are less than 6.4m. For us it has to be that arrangement, could it do transverse of French bed style. Like the under bed storage though as think the lower bed models are wasting so much usable space. Still haven’t decided on “ the one” but getting closer the more I see and the more comments I read on here.

dshague

Free Member
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
VAN CONVERSION
Exp
20 years
Mind if I ask which make / model you have @dshague , I like the look of it from a storage point of view.
i bought our camper from imperial car center .they are converters .van was made to our specification .if you ask for chris ,one of the owners he is very helpful .if you cannot find what you are looking for just ask him .... https://www.imperialcarcentre.co.uk/

dshague

Free Member
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
VAN CONVERSION
Exp
20 years
dazzler sent you a PM

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Wildax Europa PVC
Exp
Since 2014 -- cycle-camper before that
In terms of parking and manoeuverability I doubt whether the extra 36cm between 6m and 6.36 will make any practical difference.

As some have already pointed out some ferries and bridges (overseas) are more expensive over 6m.

As far as manoeuverability goes, the wheelbase makes more of a difference. Our van is 6.128m but has a large wheelbase, so the turning circle is much greater than some 7m vans. However, the advantage is better weight distribution, a smoother ride and no rear overhang.

Neckender

Free Member
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
VW T6.1Kombi day Van
Exp
Since 2004
What about the Globecar Globestar 600L, 6 metres in length with longitudinal beds and loads of storage, I have the Campscout 6.4 metres and we’re really thrilled with it after downsizing from an AAuto Sleeper Broadway coachbuilt.

Globestar 600L

Campscout

Campscout Revolution

GLOBESTAR 600 L

The Big Small Sensation

Surprisingly loads of storage and living room on just 5.99m chassis length.

All due to the comfortable seating area for 4, the spacious kitchen, the centred wash- and toilet room, which doubles as a room divider and the large single beds in the sleeping area. These can be changed into a large king size bed with just a few adjustments.

Size (L x W x H): 5,413 x 2,050 x 2,580 mm Headroom: 1,905 mm

Weight*: ca. 2,800 kg

Reg. Seating Capacity: 4

Sleeping Capacity: 2 (+1 optional)
Rear Bed (L x W):(left)1980/ (right) 1930x 829 mm; as king size ca. 1800 / 1930 x 1963 mm

Gas Box: 2 x 11 kg
Fresh Water Tank: 100 L
Waste Water Tank: 92 L

Chassis Citroën:
2.2 L – PS; 3.0 L – 177 PS

Chassis Fiat:
2.0 L – 115 PS; 2.3 L – 130/148 PS; 3.0 L – 177 PS

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin PVC
Exp
4 years in
Brought an 07 plate Adria twin last summer. Have been getting out nearly every other weekend even over the winter. It's 6m in length. Love the ability to go almost anywhere a car would go. My next pvc will be definitely the longer model. The transverse bed is a bit of a pain getting in and out of It's a bit of a hop up and a climb over for the wife. The beds set length wise should be better. As others have said it's the width that make pvc a joy to drive. I was never a confident caravan and trailer tent driver and the joy of the van is the ability to be up higher. Would definitely get reversing camera on next one especially if the longer length.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2018
Only had the one weekend away so far in our new Globecar Campscout but very happy with it. Great for us with large dog. Next trip we’ll add teenage son!
Was ok driving around Aberdeen City Centre ... even managed to park right outside my daughter’s flat in city centre ...

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Benimar 486 tessoro
Exp
2010?
I’m inclined to agree, the Bailey is a wide beast and whilst doesn’t concern me the wife won’t drive it! Apparently size does matter she has now informed me.
Off to the the NEC in feb to try some out! The thought of loosing upwards of 10k is frightening but not as much as 60k being on the drive not being used to it’s full potential.
@Dazzler1969 pls let me know how you get on at show, we have Bailey 625 and I’m not comfortable driving it due to width and want to downsize ( hubby don’t want to :( )

OP
OP
Dazzler1969

Dazzler1969

Free Member
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
S&L Atlanta PVC
Exp
Since 2015
@Dazzler1969 pls let me know how you get on at show, we have Bailey 625 and I’m not comfortable driving it due to width and want to downsize ( hubby don’t want to :( )
Will do, I’m interested to know how much my current van has lost within the last 8 months and see what deals there are to be had.
Darren

OP
OP
Dazzler1969

Dazzler1969

Free Member
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
S&L Atlanta PVC
Exp
Since 2015
There is a video of this one Length: 19' 8" (5.99m)

https://www.johnscross.co.uk/products/auto-sleeper-warwick-duo.html

and this one Length: 20' 10" (6.36m)

https://www.johnscross.co.uk/products/auto-sleeper-warwick-xl.html

another Length: 19' 8" (5.99m)

https://www.johnscross.co.uk/products/autocruise-rhythm-sport.html

These might give you some ideas

Peter
Thanks, like the look of the Warwick-xl, just not sure where my cadac would live when not being used as it lacks rear storage. It will be nice to compare a few in the flesh at the NEC.
Darren

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Benimar 486 tessoro
Exp
2010?
This is the problem isent it, that’s why we also wouldn’t buy new again !
Looking forward to your comments after show, we certainly have been used to space so see what you think
Thanks

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
IH 630 FL
Exp
We changed from coach built van to ih630rl 18months ago, really loved the van, drove well, parking good, u shaped seating, loved it , good for lounging, BUT got fed up of making and unmaking beds every day, where to put it all, we need our separate sleeping area which it did not really give, also we had a small dog when buying it, she died and we now have a large dog, no room for her, so have gone back to coach built with twin beds and bed over the front, bliss, only miss the u shape lounge.so really think about this when changing vans.

Blue Knight

Free Member
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
......... BUT got fed up of making and unmaking beds every day, where to put it all, we need our separate sleeping area which it did not really give.......

Did you consider a continental PVC or were you just keen to get back to a bigger van.

For me personally I do like the look of some of the British PVCs but I would never have one because of the constant need to make up your bed at night. We had to make up the bed in our first British coachbuilt and hated it. This is all subjective and personal to us though.

In our case we went from a twin high bed Pilote coachbuilt to a twin high bed PVC but, unlike our new Globecar 6.36m PVC, the 7.5m long coachbuilt had no space for a large dog (43kg) to turn around so in theory the PVC was a much better option for us.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
PVC - AT Tribute T-670
Exp
There’s no doubt that coming down from coach-built to PVC, the reduction in space and having to take turns moving about, might be a bit of a shock. It’s a tough decision as there are so many pros and cons as to whether to go for the extra 0.36m. It will make a noticeable difference especially perhaps to the way the sleeping arrangements are laid out; eg double bed lengthways (and therefore probably longer) or across but you’re still going to be squeezing past each other, or more likely unless you’re built like stick insects, waiting your turn! You can always try renting first. Personally we chose 6m, firstly and foremost because it just fit in our drive, followed by the tolls, fares and parking issues.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Back