“ You have taken our future “ (1 Viewer)

OP
OP
Larrynwin
Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Given that the emissions have been building up since the start of the industrial revolution the statement is accurate.
As mentioned before, it is separate from the forfeits.
The point of the OP still remains that many of the young today would probably not be here if it were not for the sacrifices of earlier generations specifically in WW1&2.

Tony V

Free Member
Jun 5, 2020
Llyn Peninsula, N Wales
Funster No
MH
A/S Amethyst
Exp
newish
I would suggest that it is we 'older persons' who should be grateful for our parent's sacrifices and that we are also the 'You' referred to in the thread title, living somewhat high on the hog and leaving the place markedly less well off when we shuffle of the mortal coil. The yoof of today are right.

OP
OP
Larrynwin
Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
I would suggest that it is we 'older persons' who should be grateful for our parent's sacrifices and that we are also the 'You' referred to in the thread title, living somewhat high on the hog and leaving the place markedly less well off when we shuffle of the mortal coil. The yoof of today are right.
I’m sure most older folk are grateful and show their gratitude for those that fell but the fact remains that without those sacrifices many of our young probably would not exist so they like the old folk owe a debt of gratitude.
As for living high on the hog, are you saying that our young are not ?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 22, 2012
Wigan
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun TI 2012
Exp
The source is from our young in recent weeks but where the quote comes from is irrelevant , the fact remains that the young of today are only here with the freedom to speak and demonstrate as a result of the sacrifice made by many many thousands in two world wars.
The source is relevant as this determines the context. As I said the context is more than likely related to climate change. Therefore if you ask many young people if the freedom they have today may have something to do with the efforts of our military in world war two then I would suspect that very few would disagree.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Jan 26, 2017
Mid Suffolk.
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Inca
Exp
Eight Years and 28,000 Miles.
OP
OP
Larrynwin
Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
The source is relevant as this determines the context. As I said the context is more than likely related to climate change. Therefore if you ask many young people if the freedom they have today may have something to do with the efforts of our military in world war two then I would suspect that very few would disagree.
Your last para is the very point of the OP.

Jun 29, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
caravan (for now)
Exp
on and off since 1984
Personally I have lived my life within the norms of modern day society. I do believe people of my generation have had the best life, however global warming/climate change has only been mainstream for approximately 20 years, and so far no world leaders are doing anything meaningful about it, so why should I take the blame? The young have known about climate change for the whole of their lives, what are they doing about it? apart from holding a placard and shouting. Yes this situation has come to notice on our watch, but it started well over two hundred years ago, we are doing something about it, half of the wold is not, so I refuse to feel guilty, I will continue to drive and even fly, as will almost everyone else, including most of the young who are holding the placards. My own opinion is that unless some new technology comes along to save us, in a hundred years the world will be very different and have far fewer people in it.

Jan 23, 2016
Wales
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 660SP
Exp
25 years
A quote from some of our young “ you have taken our future “

Remembering today 11/11/11 many gave their future so the young of today had a future, they should remember this date and be thankful.

I agree whole heartly with your sentiment.

However many of the younger people might be viewing this as their war, a different enemy, many fifth column groups and in need of different tactics!

To some then, casualty lists are already stacking up.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Larrynwin
Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
I agree whole heartly with your sentiment.

However many of the younger people might be viewing this as their war, a different enemy, many fifth column groups and in need of different tactics!

To some then casualty lists are already stacking up.
I get that but my OP was a simplistic view that there was more to be considered by the young than the current climate crisis and that is their very existence now.

Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
We should remember that those people died to stop one country dominating Europe.
No they didn't. They died to stop an alliance of fascist countries dominating the world. Germany, Italy, Greece, parts of the Balkans, Japan. Supported at the time by at least one British newspaper. Why would the far right and modern day fascists want us to remember that? They were fighting against fascists. You know, like the ones Nigel Farage addressed at a rally.

Nov 3, 2020
Up the Hamble
Funster No
MH
Ace Siena
Exp
Since 2019
"I've had my life, not many years left, so bad luck to the young ones who will have to live on an increasingly inhospitable planet, I'm not planning on changing the way I live just so that I can help change the future." Lovely sentiments being expressed here - lucky we're not talking about stopping Hitler or some more obvious existential threat than climate change, there would be no hope. All strength to the young and to the third world nations already sinking, long may they protest and try to bring about change - we all have to change or the planet will do it for us. Anyone fancy living on Venus? Check it out.

Jul 7, 2021
Funster No
MH
dont own one yet.
I believe we are not responsible for the doings of previous generations. Certainly the industrial revolution has brought climate change, but who would want to have the life that most people lived before it, including the young who seem more interested in blaming us than doing something themselves.
X boxes and PlayStations are very bad for the environment …….

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
We definitely had the best in the sixties, been all downhill since then, but these young now have everything they want they just don't realise if it wasnt for the former generations who invented the things they now take for granted, it would be a different world, and it was all done using fossil fuels, because that is what we had.
What would they rather have, back to the 1800 s, or all the trappings they have now.
Are they going to throw away all the stuff they have now for the climate, don't think so.

Jan 26, 2017
Mid Suffolk.
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Inca
Exp
Eight Years and 28,000 Miles.
Well, well. Fancy me confusing the EU parliament (an integral part of the EU, which is what the UK left) with the EU itself :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:
A common mistake.. European Union, a very good Idea, a European Parliament a disaster.

Clipgate

Free Member
Jan 1, 2014
Folkestone
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
We are dieing out fast and attitudes change, my father when I was quite young took me to Dover and three his medals etc over the Cliffs,told me in later years that is what they thought of me once my service was over.
Torpedoed and survived. Money Big money is made in wars, so new attitudes and beliefs come.
I am in neither camp however with an Armenian PM yours views might change or be dented by events.

Tanya_and_Mick

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 12, 2015
Quesada, Spain
Funster No
MH
Globecar 640DK
Exp
We’ll there’s some good young respectful youth out there that will do good……

Is far too easy to be a critic and tar them all with the same brush

We all know good kids and they’re go on to do great things as the generations before them!!

OP
OP
Larrynwin
Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004

We all know good kids and they’re go on to do great things as the generations before them!!
That’s right and why in the OP I posted “ some of our young “.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years

I was not criticising any young folks in what they do , more do they realise that what they all have now is because of the past generations working in mines and industry and all the other stuff that they don't have to, far from taking their future, creating what they all enjoy now.

Nov 3, 2020
Up the Hamble
Funster No
MH
Ace Siena
Exp
Since 2019
Wow - there's more than a few people in the suburbs of Coventry on this thread or perhaps I don't understand what "politics" is anymore . . . . In the meantime I am reminded of the old saying "You can tell a nation's investment in its future by its investment in its children" and I would imagine that doing something, anything, to help reduce CO2 emissions, plastic pollution etc is an investment in our children.

Jan 22, 2012
Wigan
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun TI 2012
Exp
Your last para is the very point of the OP.
I am not questioning the efforts of those in WW2. My grandfather died in the first world war, my father was the first casualty on British soil in WW2 whilst protecting the naval base near the forth bridge. He was given the last rites, heroin and presented with a pair of pyjamas by the old Queen Mother. Even after a nervous breakdown he was put on HMS Prince of Wales. That sank in the South China Sea and he had to watch lots of his comrades drown in front of him. Fortunately he got on a rescue barge that was also attacked and sank , but still he survived . After walking through the jungle for many days as the Japanese were moving down the Malaysian peninsula he managed to find a boat to take him to Australia. Every young member of the family and all those young people i tell that story to today show a great deal of respect for my father and others who fought for this country. We are not that far from each others viewpoint but its like I previously said. The comments you heard from the youth of today may be related to climate change.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back