“ You have taken our future “ (1 Viewer)

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Remembering today 11/11/11 many gave their future so the young of today had a future, they should remember this date and be thankful.
Very true Larry and our selfless armed forces have been giving their lives ever since and continue to do so even now so these idiot kids can lead the lives they want to lead without fear. It makes me sick listening to them winge on it really does.
RIP our fallen hero’s.

SOS

Aug 10, 2014
Devizes
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 1R
Exp
Since 2014
So sad that some have been raised so selfish. But …. Some children have been dragged up correctly… Quote: thank you for respecting the silence today ( to
My 8 year granddaughter today) ) all of the congregation said this to her on leaving. Part of me is proud but the other part of me thinks really ????……..

Jul 27, 2013
Wilts/Oxon border
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since childhood!
I went to the parade and laying of the wreaths at the war memorial in my mum's small town. There was a massive turnout of people. During the silence the only sounds were from two very small children ( and they weren't screaming!), and someone with a yappy dog. During the parade to the memorial the church bells were rung half muffled, and the town band played. The band played - beautifully - during the laying of the wreaths, and again as the parade marched back for the church service. There were many children involved in the parade, and it was good to see that.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 22, 2012
Wigan
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun TI 2012
Exp
Where did this quote come from. I would suspect it comes from young people at the Cop26 conference. If so it may be taken out of context. If you apply it to our history and its conflicts then I think you are being a little unfair as I have always found that the youth of today tend to show a great interest in past conflicts. The times that I've visited Ypres and the Menin gate I would estimate that there are a large number of school kids from all over the world showing their respects for those who died in the conflct.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
A quote from some of our young “ you have taken our future “

Remembering today 11/11/11 many gave their future so the young of today had a future, they should remember this date and be thankful.
The two are not mutually exclusive.
We must all remember the sacrifices made in war but it would be wrong not to also acknowledge the errors which have led to the climate changing.

Dec 30, 2019
South Devon
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2020

I also think you have taken this quote out of context. I expect the ’some of our young’ you refer to were probably talking about climate change.

jp11

Free Member
Aug 15, 2021
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Minibus conversion
We must all remember the sacrifices made in war but it would be wrong not to also acknowledge the errors which have led to the climate changing.
I wholeheartedly agree with the sentiments in this thread. But it would be wrong not to acknowledge the errors of war mongering, the errors that put our armed forces at risk in the first place....

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I wholeheartedly agree with the sentiments in this thread. But it would be wrong not to acknowledge the errors of war mongering, the errors that put our armed forces at risk in the first place....
Absolutely agree.

OP
OP
Larrynwin
Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Where did this quote come from. I would suspect it comes from young people at the Cop26 conference. If so it may be taken out of context. If you apply it to our history and its conflicts then I think you are being a little unfair as I have always found that the youth of today tend to show a great interest in past conflicts. The times that I've visited Ypres and the Menin gate I would estimate that there are a large number of school kids from all over the world showing their respects for those who died in the conflct.
The source is from our young in recent weeks but where the quote comes from is irrelevant , the fact remains that the young of today are only here with the freedom to speak and demonstrate as a result of the sacrifice made by many many thousands in two world wars.

OP
OP
Larrynwin
Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
The op refers to the statement made by some of our young stating that their future had been taken by earlier generations when in fact the forfeits by earlier generations have ensured that our young do have a future.

OP
OP
Larrynwin
Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
I also think you have taken this quote out of context. I expect the ’some of our young’ you refer to were probably talking about climate change.
Whether climate change link or not the fact remains that many of our young that presently blame earlier generations for taking their future should recognise that they might well not be here without the sacrifices made in two world wars and maybe should acknowledge that fact.

OP
OP
Larrynwin
Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
I don’t see that our two wars with Germany could be considered as warmongering as had the U.K. and it’s allies not taken the action they did you , I and the young of today would probably not be here to discuss anything.
War is wrong and totally abhorrent but man will never learn from the past.

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
🤔 I suppose war is what 'Natural Selection' becomes when you apply intelligence.

Hmm, thought of the day 😏

Jun 29, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
caravan (for now)
Exp
on and off since 1984
I believe we are not responsible for the doings of previous generations. Certainly the industrial revolution has brought climate change, but who would want to have the life that most people lived before it, including the young who seem more interested in blaming us than doing something themselves.

OP
OP
Larrynwin
Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Presumably you also support folk in other countries remembering their struggles to remove the dominance of the British Empire?

Gordon
What happened in the past is history and hopefully lessons should be learned from those mistakes although seeing what is happening in the world today in the Middle East and China it’s unlikely.

The OP was pointing out that many of our young would not be here if it were not for the sacrifices made by earlier generations particularly WW1 and 2.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
What they all don't seem to understand is without coal and oil and plastics they probably wouldn't even be here never mind have the types of things they play with all day.

jp11

Free Member
Aug 15, 2021
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Minibus conversion
Well, in truth there was more than one trying to do that.
I don’t see that our two wars with Germany could be considered as warmongering as had the U.K. and it’s allies not taken the action they did you , I and the young of today would probably not be here to discuss anything.
War is wrong and totally abhorrent but man will never learn from the past.
Do you really think that all the conflicts of the last century were justified, or could not have been avoided? I think that WW2 was justified. But I still can't my head around WW1.
And when you say "man will never learn from the past", you are so right. Europe has lived in an uncommon state of peace and stability since 1945. Part of that stability can be accounted for by the existence of the European Union. But what did 52% of United Kingdom voters do a few years ago? By deciding to go down their ill informed separatist route, they upset that harmony. You are so right that "man will never learn from the past".

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014

Do you really think that all the conflicts of the last century were justified, or could not have been avoided? I think that WW2 was justified. But I still can't my head around WW1.
And when you say "man will never learn from the past", you are so right. Europe has lived in an uncommon state of peace and stability since 1945. Part of that stability can be accounted for by the existence of the European Union. But what did 52% of United Kingdom voters do a few years ago? By deciding to go down their ill informed separatist route, they upset that harmony. You are so right that "man will never learn from the past".
Nuclear weapons have kept the peace, maybe the reason the EU formed too. We now know we HAVE to get along.

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years

Must agree Larry, it was disappointing on Sunday I was inside a shopping center where the shops were due to open 11am. They gave announcement's over the intercom pre warning the shoppers of the 2 minute silence from ten minutes before eleven. I was sad to see young shop assistances standing inside with their finger poised on the button ready to press it at eleven. The two minutes were interrupted by shutters going up and young mums chatting and laughing entering the shops throughout the remembrance. I put it down to the ignorance of not giving a shit about anything pre Facebook.

OP
OP
Larrynwin
Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004

I have not stated that all conflicts of the last century were justified and I believe that peace since 1945 has been as a result of NATO not the EU which didn’t exist until 1993.

Nov 8, 2019
Surrey
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2017
At the junior leagues football I attended on Saturday a 2 mins silence was respected impeccably by all the players. Interestingly the excuse of the couple of old codgers who talked throughout, when questioned why they’d done that and despite all the kids being lined up and not moving a muscle for 2 mins, was ‘ I didn’t know what they were doing’ :doh:

jp11

Free Member
Aug 15, 2021
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Minibus conversion
I have not stated that all conflicts of the last century were justified and I believe that peace since 1945 has been as a result of NATO not the EU which didn’t exist until 1993.
You're not getting my point. NATO may have helped stabilise WORLD peace. But EU origins go right back to the late 40's. Yet the UK's current government sticks a middle finger up to Europe, and keeps wiggling it about. It's the kind of behaviour that flirts with conflict. It doesn't take much to spark conflict. You only have to look at the lead-up to WW1. And again I say you're so right that man will never learn from the past...

OP
OP
Larrynwin
Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
You're not getting my point. NATO may have helped stabilise WORLD peace. But EU origins go right back to the late 40's. Yet the UK's current government sticks a middle finger up to Europe, and keeps wiggling it about. It's the kind of behaviour that flirts with conflict. It doesn't take much to spark conflict. You only have to look at the lead-up to WW1. And again I say you're so right that man will never learn from the past...
I am not getting involved in a political discussion and refer you to the essence of the OP

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
The op refers to the statement made by some of our young stating that their future had been taken by earlier generations when in fact the forfeits by earlier generations have ensured that our young do have a future.
Given that the emissions have been building up since the start of the industrial revolution the statement is accurate.
As mentioned before, it is separate from the forfeits.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back