£40,000 Motorhome stolen. Police not interested. Insurers won’t pay up. (7 Viewers)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
If you have declared that you have an alarm to the insurer, and therefore received a discount to your premium, you are then obligated to set the alarm every time the vehicle is left unattended.
& if on your house you insure without an alarm then install one without notifying & are then burgled they won't pay out as they consider installing an alarm would encourage more thefts as it indicates that there is "something worth stealing" inside.

Jul 28, 2008
Wiltshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Ducato Sportivo
Exp
Since 2005! 2000+ nights so far...
My renewal is £225 fully comp on a BMW R1250gs full no claims etc, I paid £160 last year, I insure through the IAM with an advanced rider qualification which I believe only makes a small difference, maybe it’s down to value of bike or postcode ? It definitely seems insurance costs are rising giving us less cover for our money
Garaged I assume?
As soon as you don't have a garage.....! I'm almost double that on a v-strom 650. The fact its securely locked behind a gate off a private gated drive, off a private dead end lane with no passing traffic doesn't seem to matter :( RoSPA bike / IAM car - doesn't give much!)

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
My motorcycle insurance cover is the same and has been for a few years now, it states I’m not covered on my own drive at anytime only in a locked garage, I suppose a bike on the drive may indicate a bike is stored there ? If I had to leave it out the front I could put it on the neighbours drive, Insurance companies seem to be a law upon to themselves these days 🙄
I read somewhere that if it's withing 400 yards of home, needs to be in garage

Nov 15, 2023
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
Garaged I assume?
As soon as you don't have a garage.....! I'm almost double that on a v-strom 650. The fact its securely locked behind a gate off a private gated drive, off a private dead end lane with no passing traffic doesn't seem to matter :( RoSPA bike / IAM car - doesn't give much!)

Yes it’s in a garage behind a garage but the insurance don’t know that, the car is in the garage Attached to the house but I don’t tell the insurance as they wanted more money to insure in the garage in case ladders or tins of paint fell on it, I did tell them I had no ladders or paint but made no difference so it’s insured on the drive, the motorhome lives on the drive with a security post, alarm, steering lock etc etc all insisted upon by insurance company, I don’t put it in storage as we hope to be away at least 6 months of the year until our 3 lads leave home 🙏 but until then they pay all the bills 😁

Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
3 years 30,000 miles UK and Europe.. Campsites and off Grid.
My husband has to get his motorcycle out if the internal garage, leave it on the drive ( no keys in it obviously ) then come back inside to lock up. Apparently if someone was to pinch it in those few minutes he would probably not be able to make a claim as it is only insured whilst in the garage…..how does that work??

My similar policy on my sports says the car must be in the garage between 10pm and 6am....if parked at home. So a similar situation if I left it on the drive....but only at night.

The stupid thing is if it is more than half a mile from home then it is covered, even if left on the street. So if the garage was not available I'd have to drive down the road and leave it there rather than leave it on my drive!

Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
3 years 30,000 miles UK and Europe.. Campsites and off Grid.
I read somewhere that if it's withing 400 yards of home, needs to be in garage
Mine says 500 metres. Can you imagine. I park my car 501 metres away from home and it's stolen. They'll send someone out to measure the distance from my house???

Last edited:
Mar 3, 2013
Poole
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Mine says 500 metres. Can you imagine. I park my car 501 metres away from home and it's stolen. They'll send someone out to measure the distance from my house???
Probably 🙈

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
My reply was about motorcycles, but cars also.

I suppose it should be alarmed etc

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back