£40,000 Motorhome stolen. Police not interested. Insurers won’t pay up. (9 Viewers)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
I you have a few spare keys when you travel out , swallow one at a time and just maybe you will pass them in a short time
No need to swallow them first. Insert them by the direct route. No-one will want to look for them there and you'll have instant access.

Sep 25, 2023
Funster No
MH
Swift Sundance 590RS
Heard another story of a car being stolen with the house keys in it. The car SatNav had the home address programmed in so the thieves drove to the owners home and ransacked that as well.

So don’t leave keys and why do you need your home address on the SatNav, just set it to the nearest town centre unless you have forgotten where you live.

NR

Jun 30, 2023
Lincoln, UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-tiki 649
Exp
Since 2019
Which of course makes me wonder what we all do with the spare ignition key that we all carry "just incase"
I did but don’t anymore!! Only spare hab keys, the spare ignition key is in an accessible place at home where it can be posted to me.

NR

Jun 30, 2023
Lincoln, UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-tiki 649
Exp
Since 2019
Heard another story of a car being stolen with the house keys in it. The car SatNav had the home address programmed in so the thieves drove to the owners home and ransacked that as well.

So don’t leave keys and why do you need your home address on the SatNav, just set it to the nearest town centre unless you have forgotten where you live.
That is a very valid point.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 7, 2017
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Chausson 788
Exp
20 years
I did but don’t anymore!! Only spare hab keys, the spare ignition key is in an accessible place at home where it can be posted to me.
We have a safe at home where we store ,all keys, will copies Bank accounts, passwords, except for my old Volvo,safe rawl bolted to wall, mind you of someone is determined, with a struggle they can get it off the wall, but, then they have to open it.

Aug 20, 2020
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Lunar Home Car P59
Exp
I'm a newbie
Stealing it is still an offence though so why would the police not be interested?
Because she wasn't important , didn't have a big enough voice

As laurence fox found out this week if you have a big voice and say something that upsets the government all of a sudden there's a house full of police available.

Unfortunately government cutbacks mean no manpower for average Joe
Reminds me of the time I found a stolen wallet stuffed down the back of a toilet cistern in Cambridge, no cash but an American tourists credit cards and drivers licence in it

Gave it to a copper who took my name and address

A week later I got a thankyou letter with £5 in it a Heathrow post mark on the envelope.

I doubt they'd do anything more than chuck it in a lost property cupboard these days let alone track him down and return it.

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
If you are in the house and someone nips in without you looking and nicks the keys to your van then surely they will pay up.

It could happen to any of us, how many people keep the doors house locked all day, whilst they are on the bog, in the shower etc.

If you leave the keys in the unlocked van yes I can see that.
You only need to burgled once and you find behaviour changes. Whilst we always did lock everything at night and it was night time, if I or the wife go out and the other is working in the study (we have two a his and her’s) we lock the doors

The insurance companies paid out when the burglary happened and we had two vehicles nicked. But if the keys had been kept weighing street view or near the doors they would not have paid.

May 21, 2021
Cambridgeshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Pilote 740FGJ
Exp
Since 1986
Opportunists are around day and night.

Just last week at 9.30am I moved the daughters car off the drive so Mr B could get his van out of the garage. I was sat there in it for about 5 minutes or so with the engine running while he was faffing about.

We live on a fairly quiet lane so I'm aware of the regular people we see on here. As I was sat there I saw a guy walking down the lane I didn't recognise him but though nothing of it. The next thing he was at the passenger door, I thought he was going to get in, he made me jump out of my skin.

I looked back on the CCTV and he walks down the lane then takes an unnatural turn towards the car.

I think he thought it was empty but left running and was going to nick it. My sister lives across the road and she pulled up home as I was in it and she thought it was just running with no-one in it.

10 minutes later he walks back the way he went and was picked up by someone, but he came down here off a main road 🤷🏼‍♀️ Not normal.
Why sit in a parked car with the engine running?. Is this a contribution to Global warming, I see it every day, PLEASE turn your engine off when stationary, Poor David Attenborourgh is wasting his breath!!

Jan 23, 2016
Wales
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 660SP
Exp
25 years
Just thinking about the insurance angle if you are careless and leave it with the keys in they won't pay. If you are really stupid and drive under a bridge thats too low but clearly marked will they also not pay? At what point does comprehensive insurance not become comprehensive?

From the minute you pay your premium? :)

Aug 20, 2020
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Lunar Home Car P59
Exp
I'm a newbie
A friend if mine reads T&Cs , you know , that 15 page document most people scroll to the bottom of then tick , he reads that.

His house insurance policy said something like they'd only pay out if force was used to gain entry.

He questioned their use of the word force because quite correctly he stated you can't open an unlocked door with the power of your mind , you exert force on the handle and it opens , so is that covered, if the kids leave a door unlocked and somebody walks in and steals his car/tv etc

Er um was all he got

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
I had to buy 2 new cab door locks with keys. I now have spare keys from the old and new locks.

IF I presented these keys as belonging to a stolen vehicle how would anyone know they weren't the 'proper' keys? after all the vehicle has disappeared................ just asking

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
I had to buy 2 new cab door locks with keys. I now have spare keys from the old and new locks.

IF I presented these keys as belonging to a stolen vehicle how would anyone know they weren't the 'proper' keys? after all the vehicle has disappeared................ just asking
But if they ever found the stolen vehicle you would be in all sorts of trouble when the keys didn't fit

Aug 20, 2020
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Lunar Home Car P59
Exp
I'm a newbie

A guy on another forum advised me to change the locks on my doors so they didn't match the ignition

He'd found out how fiats are being stolen in minutes , they pick the unprotected door lock which gives them a makeshift ignition key then they have a £500 box which will start any fiat built in the last 15 years

It's easier to steal a vehicle in 2023 than it was in 1973

Feb 18, 2022
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
RT Pergaso 740
A guy on another forum advised me to change the locks on my doors so they didn't match the ignition

He'd found out how fiats are being stolen in minutes , they pick the unprotected door lock which gives them a makeshift ignition key then they have a £500 box which will start any fiat built in the last 15 years

It's easier to steal a vehicle in 2023 than it was in 1973
If they have the right software, they can open and start any new vehicle of today, no matter make of vehicle

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Warwick
Exp
Just thinking about the insurance angle if you are careless and leave it with the keys in they won't pay. If you are really stupid and drive under a bridge thats too low but clearly marked will they also not pay? At what point does comprehensive insurance not become comprehensive?
When you are the author of your own problem's which could have easily been avoided perhaps

Mar 3, 2013
Poole
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
My husband has to get his motorcycle out if the internal garage, leave it on the drive ( no keys in it obviously ) then come back inside to lock up. Apparently if someone was to pinch it in those few minutes he would probably not be able to make a claim as it is only insured whilst in the garage…..how does that work??

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
My husband has to get his motorcycle out if the internal garage, leave it on the drive ( no keys in it obviously ) then come back inside to lock up. Apparently if someone was to pinch it in those few minutes he would probably not be able to make a claim as it is only insured whilst in the garage…..how does that work??
That seems a bit odd, I would think that it is insured when parked in a car park during normal use! Can’t see any difference.

Yes it is only covered left overnight in the agreed garage but that’s it I believe.

Mar 3, 2013
Poole
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
That seems a bit odd, I would think that it is insured when parked in a car park during normal use! Can’t see any difference.

Yes it is only covered left overnight in the agreed garage but that’s it I believe.
I agree and see no difference either but I read a case in the local news which confirmed the insurers were trying to wriggle out of paying up.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
I carry both sets of keys with me when leaving the van. In theory swmbo should have a set but pleads lack of pockets so I end up with both.
It did occur to me just recently while away in Spain that I could simply leave one set in a drawer at home.

Nov 15, 2023
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
My motorcycle insurance cover is the same and has been for a few years now, it states I’m not covered on my own drive at anytime only in a locked garage, I suppose a bike on the drive may indicate a bike is stored there ? If I had to leave it out the front I could put it on the neighbours drive, Insurance companies seem to be a law upon to themselves these days 🙄

CRD

Apr 15, 2021
Devon, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix 670 DL
Exp
3 Years
There’s another aspect to this, that hasn’t been mentioned.

If you have declared that you have an alarm to the insurer, and therefore received a discount to your premium, you are then obligated to set the alarm every time the vehicle is left unattended.

So if your MH got broken into, or nicked, while you are paying for fuel, or having a shower in a toilet block on site etc etc and you didn’t set the alarm, it is likely that you have invalidated your insurance, even if the van was locked.

We have an alarm and a third party immobiliser on our MH, but we haven’t declared them to our broker. because we would always have the obligation to set them whenever the van is unattended. That includes when it is in secure storage too.

So we miss out on the small insurance premium savings, but also miss out on the obligations and risks associated with them.

Mar 3, 2013
Poole
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
My motorcycle insurance cover is the same and has been for a few years now, it states I’m not covered on my own drive at anytime only in a locked garage, I suppose a bike on the drive may indicate a bike is stored there ? If I had to leave it out the front I could put it on the neighbours drive, Insurance companies seem to be a law upon to themselves these days 🙄
It’s not right is it ? It’s all gone up so much too. My hubby has a brand new Ducati Hypermotard, full no claims. Riding for 40 plus years, never claimed and been insured all those years. £460 this year. 😳.

Nov 15, 2023
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
It’s not right is it ? It’s all gone up so much too. My hubby has a brand new Ducati Hypermotard, full no claims. Riding for 40 plus years, never claimed and been insured all those years. £460 this year. 😳.
My renewal is £225 fully comp on a BMW R1250gs full no claims etc, I paid £160 last year, I insure through the IAM with an advanced rider qualification which I believe only makes a small difference, maybe it’s down to value of bike or postcode ? It definitely seems insurance costs are rising giving us less cover for our money

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back