LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Rapido i1090 Distinc
Exp
since 2018
So

we’re going to the NEC on thursday, we’ll be there a max of 6 hours possibly less looking to spend (maybe) £225000 less PX
on an A Class

1. max 8mtrs

2. Not white (silver)

3. 2 berth (poss 4) so 4 belts

4. Island bed (poss singles)

5. double floor but don’t want to have to climb a staircase to get in/out

6. big garage for folding elec bikes, chairs,table but no high bed inside

7. Must be auto and poss Merc but not essential so Iveco or something else

8. enough roof room for 600w min solar

This will poss be our last motorhome so good build quality with no shitty dealer backup service would be nice

Dealer max 2 hours but pre preferred less from West Yorks, is their any good dealers out there ???

Can you think of anything else and i’m not a fan of the TV in the hab door entrance either

cheers
Al

PS. Val will not entertain rouffle leather so has to be nice n smooth

Last edited:
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin i7900
Exp
Since 2010
That’s why I said various and not all Dave, the Frankia’s looked well tbh but the first thing we noticed were how shallow depth the steps were getting in/out.

Why oh why have they done that, it’s bloody stupid and everyone we saw going in and out remarked on it.
Yeah the steps are really shallow they are built for youngins Al 😂

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Al n Val

Al n Val

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Rapido i1090 Distinc
Exp
since 2018
Exactly my view. Rapido do a lot right. And you can almost get two for the same money as a Carthago…..

Including FWD…..

I so agree, but as others do, they do wrong as well, my main gripe is the length of time it takes to get parts from Rapido.

Oh Please! Wells effin Fargo was quicker 😱

They’ve agreed to everything we’ve asked them to but the time it takes is just out of order 😡

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin i7900
Exp
Since 2010
The best driving van I have ever drove was a tag axle and they are nice and low one step in, our previous Malibu had fantastic amount of storage I would say more external/ under floor storage than our Frankia.

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin i7900
Exp
Since 2010
I so agree, but as others do, they do wrong as well, my main gripe is the length of time it takes to get parts from Rapido.

They’ve agreed to everything we’ve asked them to but the time it takes is just out of order 😡
Same with them all Al in my experience.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
N&B Flair 8000ib
Exp
AirOn and off since 95
Only because they are built higher to accommodate rear wheel drive, I have much more storage on my FWD Carthago than I had on the similar size RWD Frankia.
And I have much more storage on my rwd Flair than I had on my fwd frankia .
Same overall height though but far more ground clearance.
Both same overall length height and width

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Al n Val

Al n Val

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Rapido i1090 Distinc
Exp
since 2018
Same with them all Al in my experience.

One of the reasons I can’t help thinking that I must be mad to change

Another £100k + maybe, new dealer who’s farther away, no overnight stop and crap service, it’s scary to think about

Upvote 0

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
N&B Flair 8000ib
Exp
AirOn and off since 95
The best driving van I have ever drove was a tag axle and they are nice and low one step in, our previous Malibu had fantastic amount of storage I would say more external/ under floor storage than our Frankia.
Problem with them being low is always grounding out.

I hated my tag axle fiat frankia for thst.

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin i7900
Exp
Since 2010

Another £100k + maybe, new dealer who’s farther away, no overnight stop and crap service, it’s scary to think about
What's that saying the grass isn't always greener 👍🏻

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
Yes and that's why the best brand motorhomes are rwd.

No need to go on boggy ground just try driving up a steep windy mountain pass.

I've had various vans of different lengths weights etc . Every fwd I've owned lost traction on those roads.

You will never and I repeat never get a rwd drive motorhome spinning wheels on tarmac .

Weight over drive wheels has been best since horses and carts and always will be

You seem obsessed with grass and fields. Its motorhomes I'm talking about not cows , they drive on roads.

I've personally seen fwd, rwd and 4wd get stuck on grass sand etc etc.

That's driver error. Stick to roads and rwd will always put perform fwd for traction.

As for all the stuff about storage again you'll find the best brand motorhomes are rwd and have the largest amount of storage and payload .
I have driven high passes in the Swiss alps, the German Alps ( where I drove the full length), the Pyrénées ( again the full length over all the Tour de France Cols), and throughout Norway. At no time has my FWD failed to negotiate them or loose traction. It’s normally down to the driver, not the drive train.

Upvote 0

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
N&B Flair 8000ib
Exp
AirOn and off since 95
I have driven high passes in the Swiss alps, the German Alps ( where I drove the full length), the Pyrénées ( again the full length over all the Tour de France Cols), and throughout Norway. At no time has my FWD failed to negotiate them or loose traction. It’s normally down to the driver, not the drive train.
That's right . Some drivers just won't attempt to go where I go .

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
We have just returned home and I must say I really enjoyed today. We only went to have a nosey and look at possibilities for the future. There were so many vans to look at and now I am so confused. Thought we may change down to a PVC but I found them too narrow and after having our big overcab I am loathe to start making beds up. My daughter is about to start her own conversion on a Lwb Boxer so we passed on a few ideas to her.
One thing that really made me cross was a few vans had no oven but a grill/oven thing above the dinette table!!!! Who the heck is tall enough to reach that there and why on earth would you want one up that high above your lovely seats and cushions? That has disaster written all over it.

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
You’ve made the right decision Al, you’ve got a van that you know and it suits you. Just get the things sorted that’s needed, when you go down to beni again just pop in to a rapido dealer in France and order the parts and they’ll be waiting for you on the way back then get them sorted…

You’ve already got a great van and just a bit of fettling and it’ll be just right…🍻

Upvote 0

BikerGraham

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Autograph 75-2
Exp
camping and caravanning since a kid. New to motorhomes

You know mate these vans will last 20 plus years as long as we look after them.

So if you are happy with what you have now then why look to change.

But also if your are talking about £100k plus to change then for gods sake, Have a few beers and curries and keep the pocket change 🥳🥳😂

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Rapido

Thankfully not had to order any parts yet, as nothing has failed …….big touch wood.

Oh bar the oven bulb….but that was easily replaced.

Had a Burstner previously, and cant see any difference in build quality.

Upvote 0

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Right then

just got back from the show and….

we’ll be keeping our Rapido, certainly for the time being, we looked at Carthago, Frankia, Hymer, Burstner, Dethleffs and Le Voyager.

Everything we looked at would give us less than we already have, we looked at up to £265k and there was nothing we’d change to.

So getting ours sorted and fitted with VB air and that’ll be it.

Can anyone please explain why on certain A class motorhomes based on Mercedes that the front wheels are narrower by approx 1ft than the rear wheels?

The front wheels were set into the front wheel arch so much it just looked wrong to us.
The good thing about going round shows is it makes you realise how just much you like the van that you have, or not in some cases I guess ;)

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
dont own one yet
Right then

just got back from the show and….

we’ll be keeping our Rapido, certainly for the time being, we looked at Carthago, Frankia, Hymer, Burstner, Dethleffs and Le Voyager.

Everything we looked at would give us less than we already have, we looked at up to £265k and there was nothing we’d change to.

So getting ours sorted and fitted with VB air and that’ll be it.

Can anyone please explain why on certain A class motorhomes based on Mercedes that the front wheels are narrower by approx 1ft than the rear wheels?

The front wheels were set into the front wheel arch so much it just looked wrong to us.
The ‘we buy any motorhome’ lot did a review of an A Class rapido and made exactly that point about the wheels being very recessed.

It makes sense to stick with the rapido Al having spent so much energy getting it sorted.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Back