LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Rapido i1090 Distinc
Exp
since 2018
So

we’re going to the NEC on thursday, we’ll be there a max of 6 hours possibly less looking to spend (maybe) £225000 less PX
on an A Class

1. max 8mtrs

2. Not white (silver)

3. 2 berth (poss 4) so 4 belts

4. Island bed (poss singles)

5. double floor but don’t want to have to climb a staircase to get in/out

6. big garage for folding elec bikes, chairs,table but no high bed inside

7. Must be auto and poss Merc but not essential so Iveco or something else

8. enough roof room for 600w min solar

This will poss be our last motorhome so good build quality with no shitty dealer backup service would be nice

Dealer max 2 hours but pre preferred less from West Yorks, is their any good dealers out there ???

Can you think of anything else and i’m not a fan of the TV in the hab door entrance either

cheers
Al

PS. Val will not entertain rouffle leather so has to be nice n smooth

Last edited:
OP
OP
Al n Val

Al n Val

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Rapido i1090 Distinc
Exp
since 2018
what chassis is your Crapido on ?

The trouble with a lot of new Mercedes is they are FWD !. You may have to consider Iveco for RWD ?

Also, the Sprinter 319/419/519 are no longer V6 3 litre diesels. They are 4 cylinder 2 litre..

Is this meant for me?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Al n Val

Al n Val

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Rapido i1090 Distinc
Exp
since 2018
Have you looked at RS Motorhome?

TBH no. i’m not a fan of 1uk dealer brands as your solely in they’re hands

Similar thoughts regards Frankia, i’ve heard SMC are like most dealers, once they’ve got your money it’s curtains and you’ve only them to turn to

I maybe totally wrong of course

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Rapido
what chassis is your Crapido on ?

The trouble with a lot of new Mercedes is they are FWD !. You may have to consider Iveco for RWD ?

Also, the Sprinter 319/419/519 are no longer V6 3 litre diesels. They are 4 cylinder 2 litre..
Surely FWD is far better for the build of a MH, as you then have loads of space for under floor storage and water tanks etc, unimpeded by drive shafts?

And older V6 3.0 litre diesels are no way going to make euro 6? So given the direction of flow one would be restricting the usuage due to LEZ areas etc?

Upvote 0

hja

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit Prim
Exp
Since 2019
TBH no. i’m not a fan of 1uk dealer brands as your solely in they’re hands

Similar thoughts regards Frankia, i’ve heard SMC are like most dealers, once they’ve got your money it’s curtains and you’ve only them to turn to

I maybe totally wrong of course
Whilst I don’t totally disagree we got our Globecar from SMC and there only a few Possle dealers in the uk. They have been fine with us.

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin i7900
Exp
Since 2010
Surely FWD is far better for the build of a MH, as you then have loads of space for under floor storage and water tanks etc, unimpeded by drive shafts?

And older V6 3.0 litre diesels are no way going to make euro 6? So given the direction of flow one would be restricting the usuage due to LEZ areas etc?
The V6 3.0ltr has been euro 6 since 2015.

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007

No it’s not RWD much better, I’ve lost count of the number of low profile FWD vans stuck on a bit of slippy moist grass. I’ve never seen any issue with positioning tanks on RWD vans, a lot of them have double floors for that so fully winterised.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
AS Warwick XL MQ
Exp
Since 1986
If you lower your sights just a weeny bit, a Laika Kreos H5109 might suit you. £165k, gives you room to fit a few extras - air suspension, self levelling etc. Four seat belts, large garage, single beds, just under 8m.

We had a Laika A Class for nearly 6 years, and it was the best moho we have ever had. The Italians do have style too!

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Spain + Abu Dhabi
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp

All that depends on your usage I guess.

Our 3 Mercedes Rear Wheel Drives never got Stuck in Snow. Because most of the weight is was the rear axle.

First 416CDi Chassis was superb. 518CDi was good for traction, but it was a lower chassis so you had to be careful With snow depth. They were both 4 wheels on one rear axle. The third, a 318CDi had just two rear wheels but was quite a high chassis so no issues there.

We do have a Front Wheel drive Fiat that is okay in Mud and Snow. But it's an old version with Water and Fuel tanks up front. Along with Gas bottles and batteries. So we have been okay with that.

Mercedes for years marketed their Transporter range as being superior for hill climbing and towing. Now, suddenly, thats not the case.

The

M642 V6 Engine​

Is still in production. It is no longer fitted to European Transporters (Vito/Sprinter)

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Al n Val

Al n Val

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Rapido i1090 Distinc
Exp
since 2018
Right then

just got back from the show and….

we’ll be keeping our Rapido, certainly for the time being, we looked at Carthago, Frankia, Hymer, Burstner, Dethleffs and Le Voyager.

Everything we looked at would give us less than we already have, we looked at up to £265k and there was nothing we’d change to.

So getting ours sorted and fitted with VB air and that’ll be it.

Can anyone please explain why on certain A class motorhomes based on Mercedes that the front wheels are narrower by approx 1ft than the rear wheels?

The front wheels were set into the front wheel arch so much it just looked wrong to us.

Upvote 0

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
N&B Flair 8000ib
Exp
AirOn and off since 95

Definitely not. All the weight is in the rear..its easier to push weight than pull it and front wheel drive loses traction far easier.

The best built vans are rwd

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
AS Warwick XL MQ
Exp
Since 1986
£9 for a glass of wine! We normally get 2 for just over a fiver in most spoons.
Can anyone please explain why on certain A class motorhomes based on Mercedes that the front wheels are narrower by approx 1ft than the rear wheels?

The front wheels were set into the front wheel arch so much it just looked wrong to us.

The Sprinter chassis does not always suit a wider A Class motorhome and you do get the recessed front wheels. We found this on a Mercedes Hymer we had.

Conversely, the Ducato cab is often mated with an Alko chassis which is made for motorhomes, and additionally gives you a wider rear axle for stability.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Al n Val

Al n Val

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Rapido i1090 Distinc
Exp
since 2018
Have an Adria now but wouldn’t buy new now. People have so many issues

TBH we love the new SuperSonic, especially the front end, but as you say i’ve read about too many issues with them.

Our 2 friends both have them and both say build quality is not as good as we’ve got, that and the interior furniture and flooring was too dark and no option to change. 😟

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Malibu Van 640 LE K
Exp
Since 2003
No it’s not RWD much better, I’ve lost count of the number of low profile FWD vans stuck on a bit of slippy moist grass. I’ve never seen any issue with positioning tanks on RWD vans, a lot of them have double floors for that so fully winterised.
The only time I got stuck on a bit of slippery grass was in my rear wheel drive Mercedes Hymer. The traction button on my Fiats has always got me moving. With FWD you do have to be sensible about keeping the steering straight. As for the other benefits of RWD I really don’t think I am looking for them in a motorhome but the FWD on my Carthago meant I had lots of underfloor storage and could get better weight distribution.

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Right then

we’ll be keeping our Rapido, certainly for the time being, we looked at Carthago, Frankia, Hymer, Burstner, Dethleffs and Le Voyager.

Everything we looked at would give us less than we already have, we looked at up to £265k and there was nothing we’d change to.

Exactly my view. Rapido do a lot right. And you can almost get two for the same money as a Carthago…..

Including FWD…..

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Definitely not. All the weight is in the rear..its easier to push weight than pull it and front wheel drive loses traction far easier.

The best built vans are rwd
Not sure about best built? That suggests quality.

Design wise, guess it depends where you go and how you drive.
Ive never had a problem with a FWD van, know its limitations and keep off bogey ground…

Seen and towed many a RWD lorry off fields at horse shows!

Upvote 0

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
N&B Flair 8000ib
Exp
AirOn and off since 95
Not sure about best built? That suggests quality.

Design wise, guess it depends where you go and how you drive.
Ive never had a problem with a FWD van, know its limitations and keep off bogey ground…

Seen and towed many a RWD lorry off fields at horse shows!
Yes and that's why the best brand motorhomes are rwd.

No need to go on boggy ground just try driving up a steep windy mountain pass.

I've had various vans of different lengths weights etc . Every fwd I've owned lost traction on those roads.

You will never and I repeat never get a rwd drive motorhome spinning wheels on tarmac .

Weight over drive wheels has been best since horses and carts and always will be

You seem obsessed with grass and fields. Its motorhomes I'm talking about not cows , they drive on roads.

I've personally seen fwd, rwd and 4wd get stuck on grass sand etc etc.

That's driver error. Stick to roads and rwd will always put perform fwd for traction.

As for all the stuff about storage again you'll find the best brand motorhomes are rwd and have the largest amount of storage and payload .

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Likes collected
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Spain + Abu Dhabi
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp

I've had various vans of different lengths weights etc . Every fwd I've owned lost traction on those roads.

You will never and I repeat never get a rwd drive motorhome spinning wheels on tarmac .

Weight over drive wheels has been best since horses and carts and always will be
Could not agree more, as per my posts above. #34 and #72

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Rapido

And 26 ton horseboxes, still towed many off with my JD…

But its a bit like the 4x4 Chelsea tractor situation….90% of people are fine with FWD MHs… which seldom leave tarmac - and load them sensibly…

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Chausson 640 welcome
Exp
Since October 2019
it’s ok I’m ok with my 2019 chausson . …

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin i7900
Exp
Since 2010
Right then

Our Frankia has front axle and rear axle widening to counter act this look more costly though all done along with the air by Meier before Frankia build.

Upvote 0

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
N&B Flair 8000ib
Exp
AirOn and off since 95
And 26 ton horseboxes, still towed many off with my JD…

But its a bit like the 4x4 Chelsea tractor situation….90% of people are fine with FWD MHs… which seldom leave tarmac - and load them sensibly…

Is your jd fwd or rwd ?

How many fwd tractors do you see?

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic eline
Exp
Since 2011

You seem obsessed with grass and fields. Its motorhomes I'm talking about not cows , they drive on roads.

I've personally seen fwd, rwd and 4wd get stuck on grass sand etc etc.

That's driver error. Stick to roads and rwd will always put perform fwd for traction.

As for all the stuff about storage again you'll find the best brand motorhomes are rwd and have the largest amount of storage and payload .
Only because they are built higher to accommodate rear wheel drive, I have much more storage on my FWD Carthago than I had on the similar size RWD Frankia.

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin i7900
Exp
Since 2010
Problem with FWD is you struggle with payload can have all the storage you want but not able to use it. Generally RWD vehicle have much higher payloads.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Al n Val

Al n Val

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Rapido i1090 Distinc
Exp
since 2018
Our Frankia has front axle and rear axle widening to counter act this look more costly though all done along with the air by Meier before Frankia build.

That’s why I said various and not all Dave, the Frankia’s looked well tbh but the first thing we noticed were how shallow depth the steps were getting in/out.

Why oh why have they done that, it’s bloody stupid and everyone we saw going in and out remarked on it.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Back