LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Rapido i1090 Distinc
Exp
since 2018
So

we’re going to the NEC on thursday, we’ll be there a max of 6 hours possibly less looking to spend (maybe) £225000 less PX
on an A Class

1. max 8mtrs

2. Not white (silver)

3. 2 berth (poss 4) so 4 belts

4. Island bed (poss singles)

5. double floor but don’t want to have to climb a staircase to get in/out

6. big garage for folding elec bikes, chairs,table but no high bed inside

7. Must be auto and poss Merc but not essential so Iveco or something else

8. enough roof room for 600w min solar

This will poss be our last motorhome so good build quality with no shitty dealer backup service would be nice

Dealer max 2 hours but pre preferred less from West Yorks, is their any good dealers out there ???

Can you think of anything else and i’m not a fan of the TV in the hab door entrance either

cheers
Al

PS. Val will not entertain rouffle leather so has to be nice n smooth

Last edited:
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
charisma 11 A class.
Exp
since 1972
Yes but you need to start at about £600k for a entry level Vario, not everybody can or even wants to run an old bus like yours let alone taking the C test to drive one, you know I love the build of Vario especially the older bodywork but not the old interiors and I/we prefer our Palace interior , now if somebody would rebuild an old Vario with our interior and keep it useable at under 7500kg that might be a nice van :unsure: or there again we could just spend a huge amount of money on a run of the mill MH because we like it and as somebody else said "we can".
Concorde Charisma 11,840g Suits me plus the Smart !! My 4th Mo-Ho. Not even comparing ,others ;Interior of Cherry veneer with Maple contrast edges,grey leather upholstery ,all on an 'Iveco' 3ltr auto tiptronic rear twin wheel drive.

DSCF6963.JPG

DSCF6925.JPG

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Elddis coachbuilt
Exp
10 years
Don't know why I've looked at this thread, it seems like a thread for those with massive wallets and even bigger egos

We paid £43k for our motorhome nearly 10 years ago, and it has served us reasonably well. Virtually all of our life savings went on our motorhome and we have loved every minute of our travels in the UK and Europe

We have slept in it comfortably, cooked whatever we have needed to, and to be honest although the inside is basic, we spend most of our time outside of the motorhome anyway

£225k for a motorhome is just a dream for us, but each to their own, it's everyone's money to spend however they chose 🤷‍♂️

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Carthago Liner-for-t
Don't know why I've looked at this thread, it seems like a thread for those with massive wallets and even bigger egos

We paid £43k for our motorhome nearly 10 years ago, and it has served us reasonably well. Virtually all of our life savings went on our motorhome and we have loved every minute of our travels in the UK and Europe

We have slept in it comfortably, cooked whatever we have needed to, and to be honest although the inside is basic, we spend most of our time outside of the motorhome anyway

£225k for a motorhome is just a dream for us, but each to their own, it's everyone's money to spend however they chose 🤷‍♂️

Egos have nothing to do with it. If that was the case why don't you have a tent and not a motorhome? It does the job of keeping the elements off just fine
If you've worked hard and earned the money you spend it on what you prefer. Be it a £43,000 motorhome or a £500,000 Morello..

Upvote 0

BikerGraham

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Autograph 75-2
Exp
camping and caravanning since a kid. New to motorhomes

its no secret that within the members of this forum there are some very wealthy people and some not so wealthy people. Everyone buys the vehicle that both suits them and they can afford.

However, what I have found when posting on here and also meeting a few funsters is that

no one makes any judgement of you as a person based on the van that you have or how wealthy you are.

We all enjoy the same hobby. In different ways e.g. some do aires etc and other do campsites. Some tour only in the UK some wont tour in the UK. There is a massive variety of people, knowledge, personalities, vans and bank balances.

when talking to people very often you have no idea of what van they have or anything else. You just have a nice friendly conversation with someone who has some similar interests

I've enjoyed reading this post as

"next year Rodney, we'll be millionaires" and now I have an idea of what to buy. ;) ;)

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Carthago Liner-for-t
its no secret that within the members of this forum there are some very wealthy people and some not so wealthy people. Everyone buys the vehicle that both suits them and they can afford.

However, what I have found when posting on here and also meeting a few funsters is that

no one makes any judgement of you as a person based on the van that you have or how wealthy you are.

We all enjoy the same hobby. In different ways e.g. some do aires etc and other do campsites. Some tour only in the UK some wont tour in the UK. There is a massive variety of people, knowledge, personalities, vans and bank balances.

when talking to people very often you have no idea of what van they have or anything else. You just have a nice friendly conversation with someone who has some similar interests

I've enjoyed reading this post as

"next year Rodney, we'll be millionaires" and now I have an idea of what to buy. ;) ;)
Well said, we all buy what we can afford and what we think suits us best.

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Herald 400RL
We've only been to 1 rally, and so only knowingly met forum members once. I had no inclination of being judged, despite our van being older.
I don't think van age/brand is an indication of wealth anyway. Everyone spends their money on something. We spend more than our van cost in holidays abroad a year. Some people have massive mortgages, some have loans for x/y/z, some people will be spending upwards of 1k a month for a motorhome on HP. And likewise, people will have the ability to buy a fully specced Morello in cash.
Each to their own, no need for any judgement!

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Carthago Liner-for-t
We went to the Carthago factory in Germany last month and i’d have put money down on the Liner for 2, but it had rouffle leather and a china cabinet for gods sake.

Who the feck wants a china cabinet, my mam chucked hers out 40 yrs ago lol so unless they bring me a modern looking one i’m not interested 🤣

Apart from that it was nice 👍
Hi ,
I take it you refer to the two glasses cupboards at the rear when you say china cabinets? The shorter Liner for Two doesn't have them only the longer version.

Upvote 0

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
We've only been to 1 rally, and so only knowingly met forum members once. I had no inclination of being judged, despite our van being older.
I don't think van age/brand is an indication of wealth anyway. Everyone spends their money on something. We spend more than our van cost in holidays abroad a year. Some people have massive mortgages, some have loans for x/y/z, some people will be spending upwards of 1k a month for a motorhome on HP. And likewise, people will have the ability to buy a fully specced Morello in cash.
Each to their own, no need for any judgement!
A Morello,

P1090349-4.65jfMB-ice-photosm.jpg

Or a Morelo,

csm_slideout-grand-empire-morelo_ge_26T_EX_S_2025_50125b554e.jpg

There is one l of a difference :LOL: ;)

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Al n Val

Al n Val

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Rapido i1090 Distinc
Exp
since 2018
Hi ,
I take it you refer to the two glasses cupboards at the rear when you say china cabinets? The shorter Liner for Two doesn't have them only the longer version.

No Alex

it’s the one as you enter the hab door looking at you although Val doesn’t like the ones at the rear either

It’s all mute now tbh as it looks very much like we’re keeping what we got 👍

Upvote 0

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
All the gear, and no idea!
No Alex

it’s the one as you enter the hab door looking at you although Val doesn’t like the ones at the rear either

You dissing my China cabinet bro🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

We’ll not even mention the Carthago coffee cups and saucers🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Carthago Liner-for-t
No Alex

Sound thinking, what do you currently have?

Upvote 0

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
Coffee cup?
I thought they all have there own drop down coffee grinder maker?
I have pod machine, 2x Mokka pots, cafetière jar of instant, and enough kitchen crap to film ready steady cook!🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️ but I like my carthago cups
IMG_6659.jpeg

Upvote 0

CaptainPaul

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu ⛱
Exp
Since 1980s
Upvote 0
OP
OP
Al n Val

Al n Val

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Rapido i1090 Distinc
Exp
since 2018
Beautiful van Al 👍 save your money for another day 😉

Thank you Paul

tbh the longer this thread goes on and members open they’re hearts up and point out the problems they’re having, I need to keep hold of ours.

I’m on the (almost) last hurdle in getting ours sorted, both sides decals are being replaced and authorised, the tv lift has been approved but struggling to get one quick so i’ve sourced one, just waiting to hear if they’ll reimburse me and that’s about it.

I’m very very hesitant to jump ship and go with another brand and end up jumping out of the frying pan into the fire with a dealer who isn’t as helpful as ours.

We love our van tbh and when the last of the issues are resolved we be in love with it again.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Al n Val

Al n Val

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Rapido i1090 Distinc
Exp
since 2018
It looks superb, why would you even consider changing?

It’s not been a smooth crossing this last 2 1/2 yrs Alex but we are getting to the finish line.

Once we get it finally sorted and then get VB semi air fitted to up plate to 5500kgs we’ll hopefully be good to go 👍

Upvote 0

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
I'm quite jealous, I didn't get coffee cups...
Neither did I, had to buy them, 4xcups and saucers, 2x Carthago wine glasses for THE CHINA CABINET😁 around £93ish🤪🤪🤪
It looks superb, why would you even consider changing?
I’ve been telling him that for months🤷🏼‍♂️🤷🏼‍♂️🙄

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Flair
Exp
25years
Al&val have you thought of going to the factory ,take her home and speak to the service dept when ours was new we give up with the dealer and went to the factory they were amazing sorted everything instantly same with our Hymer previously they found things we didn’t know ere wrong 👍

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Bailey 75-2
Exp
Tugger now Motorhome
We went to the show with a similar sum of money to spend on a larger motorhome (including our van as part exchange). To be honest it was hard work. Looked at Morelo and prices were way out of our league. Cathargo has pretty horrible interiors. We liked the Frankia i8400 a lot and spent some time on the stand negotiating a price for ours in part exchange but adding a tow bar and E&P was going to push the price north of £220k even with a £10k show discount. Like a lot of these vans there is only a few dealers and in the case of Frankia one SMC Nottingham. We went home pretty excited that we had found the van of our dreams. At home I started to do some due diligence and actually found the spec of the van I wanted for sale at a company considerably nearer than Nottingham and up for sale 2021 with 3000miles on the clock at £175k. On viewing the van it was obvious this must be a COVID impulse purchase by someone with plenty of money. Immaculate inside and out but I noticed the lithium batteries were flat and the heating fluid could not be seen in the reservoir. The salesman who seemed to know a lot less information about the van than I had acquired in an hour and a half at the show tried to assure me all would be well (sorted) if I purchased the van. The van had not had up to date hab checks so I would imagine the 11 year water intrusion warranty would be void especially as it was not being sold by the sole UK dealer SMC. Still excited that we may have found a bargain we came back home. More due diligence at home made me realise how difficult and extremely costly these high value vans are to insure. Best silly quote (clean licence, 71 yrs old, 7 years M/H No Claims, 15 yrs+ on cars) was from Adrian Flux - £3k with £3k excess, Cat 1 alarm, S5 Tracker required. Everyone else was as daft or not interested. Couple all these issues with considerably higher tolls on Continental Motorways (over 3 metres). Limited number of sites that could/would accept 8.6 metre also might be an issue. The biggest issue was a Frankia bought from anyone other than SMC who are the sole UK importers was going to take a dim view of my purchase and be a problem for spares etc. The other thing I took note of (I found out) is the fact that the East Sussex Dealer had had this Frankia on their forecourt for a not inconsiderable period of time and originally priced at £210k.

My wife made the point "why don't we just stay in 5 star hotels" and I really could not give her an answer 😁.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
I spent my life savings and all I could get from a cashed in early pension to buy my 20k van and it means everything to me… I rub shoulders with the rich and famous and anyone who’s met me will tell you I have a massive ego….😆😉😎

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Bailey 75-2
Exp
Tugger now Motorhome
I did glean one other piece of useful information at the show and that was that tag axle vans have extremely poor or non existent legal towing capability.

Upvote 0

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
BUT even the former would cost as much as some houses on my road!
This is a discussion on a German forum that I frequent :unsure:

That with the height can fit. The Vario uses the space in the rear part of the vehicle up to exactly 4.00m roof height. The vehicles therefore all have a kink in the roof, front still have to be solar and SAT on the roof. The Morelo roof is continuous.

The R8 is much too long at 4.9m. 911 has 4.6m.

At 12m and good equipment, the Grand Empire costs approx. 1.1 million and the Vario 2.05. Million

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Back