Folding Solar for another Funster (3 Viewers)

RedFrame

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2017
Chester
Funster No
MH
Self Build W907 PVC
Exp
Sept 2017
I've just been asked by another Funster which Folding panel I would recommend, having read through the existing Folding Panel Thread, this one seems to be reasonably priced with everything included to get them going. Can anyone recommend any other "kits".

They only need it as a stop gap as they will be replacing the van soon.

Cheers
Red.

Kannon Fodda

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 26, 2019
Seek and Ye May Find
Funster No
MH
Autotrail V-line 540
Exp
I Make Schoolboy Errors!
Does it actually include the solar controller? Can't see it does from the description which is referring to its connnectability to various things. Reviews refer to attaching to the portable power pack things that usually have an embedded controller.

You'd still need wiring stuff to attach it to the motorhome leisure battery. And the controller else voltage from the panel is too much for the battery.

OP
OP
RedFrame

RedFrame

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2017
Chester
Funster No
MH
Self Build W907 PVC
Exp
Sept 2017
Does it actually include the solar controller? Can't see it does from the description which is referring to its connnectability to various things. Reviews refer to attaching to the portable power pack things that usually have an embedded controller.

You'd still need wiring stuff to attach it to the motorhome leisure battery. And the controller else voltage from the panel is too much for the battery.

I was concerned about that, but the second review mentions the controller and it is shown in the photo attached to the review.

Cheers
Red.

Jan 2, 2024
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Peugeot boxer
Exp
Seems to show a pwm solar controller,along with a lead for controller to croc clips ,but just to be certain I would email seller and ask "can it be connected directly to a 12v battery ,is that what the lead with crocodile clips is for ?

Jan 2, 2024
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Peugeot boxer
Exp
Just had another look at photos definitely shows connection straight to battery.
A very good price for a complete kit,and nice stands

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jun 27, 2021
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Twelve months and still learning.
We bought the 160w version last year. Binned the cheap PWM controller and use it through a Victron mppt. Seems to work absolutely fine.

May 15, 2024
East Anglia
Funster No
MH
Pilote G650
Exp
Camper van, now motorhome.
I've just been asked by another Funster which Folding panel I would recommend, having read through the existing Folding Panel Thread, this one seems to be reasonably priced with everything included to get them going. Can anyone recommend any other "kits".

They only need it as a stop gap as they will be replacing the van soon.

Cheers
Red

May 15, 2024
East Anglia
Funster No
MH
Pilote G650
Exp
I have the 100w & the 200w folding Dokios. They both came with controllers & a variety of cables including jaw clamps. I use them for directly charging a Jackery 1000 & a Poweroak 1200. in bright French sunshine I was getting a good 80% of their rated wattage. I got them both at a very reasonable price from the Dokio Outlet shop on ebay.

OP
OP
RedFrame

RedFrame

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2017
Chester
Funster No
MH
Self Build W907 PVC
Exp
Sept 2017
I have the 100w & the 200w folding Dokios. They both came with controllers & a variety of cables including jaw clamps. I use them for directly charging a Jackery 1000 & a Poweroak 1200. in bright French sunshine I was getting a good 80% of their rated wattage. I got them both at a very reasonable price from the Dokio Outlet shop on ebay.
Thanks, the Funster ended up ordering one (200W) and, so far, is pleased with it.

They reduced them by a further 20% later on so for £108 for 200W I figured I couldn't loose, both myself and Drexxer ordered one each.

Had mine out on the supplied 20A PWM controller last weekend and it performed very well.

We are both away together this weekend so it will be interesting to compare one running on the supplied PWM controller and one on a Victron MPPT unit...

Cheers
Red.

Apr 6, 2019
Eye, Peterborough, UK
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
FourWinds Windsport 6.8L V10
Ecoworthy have been around on Amazon for years now.
Reasonably priced and I have used their solid panels in the past.

May 16, 2023
Funster No
MH
Bailey Alliance 66-2
I've been using the Allpowers 100W folding one (and may upgrade to the 200w), the reason being I already have a 5 metre MC4 extension to link from inside the van to outside and allow positioning of panel anywhere near enough on a standard pitch to collect the sun. What puts me off the panel you linked was the propritary connectors, where the Allpowers (at panel end) use the industry standard, waterproof MC4. Connecting these panels to my ecoflow would require a non-waterproof extension cable for a different standard of conenctor or me stripping the cable, crimping MC4 onto it (and I don't have MC4 crimps making that "expensive".

Worth noting the above, as if you need to place the panels further away (MC4 patch leads as I use are trivial and cheap) you may struggle.

I should also add the MC4 extension starts under my van, so it's 5m from the van exterior, not 5m from the solar battery on inside.

May 15, 2024
East Anglia
Funster No
MH
Pilote G650
Exp
Link to the Dokio ebay shop. https://ebay.us/WOPRxg

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
I've been using the Allpowers 100W folding one (and may upgrade to the 200w), the reason being I already have a 5 metre MC4 extension to link from inside the van to outside and allow positioning of panel anywhere near enough on a standard pitch to collect the sun. What puts me off the panel you linked was the propritary connectors, where the Allpowers (at panel end) use the industry standard, waterproof MC4. Connecting these panels to my ecoflow would require a non-waterproof extension cable for a different standard of conenctor or me stripping the cable, crimping MC4 onto it (and I don't have MC4 crimps making that "expensive".

Worth noting the above, as if you need to place the panels further away (MC4 patch leads as I use are trivial and cheap) you may struggle.

I should also add the MC4 extension starts under my van, so it's 5m from the van exterior, not 5m from the solar battery on inside.
Just received my Allpowers 200w to replace a cheaper folder....I tested it at 0830hrs yesterday and was pulling 117w. I'm sure if I went outside now I would be nearing the 170w....good piece of kit...🤔🇪🇦🥳👍

May 16, 2023
Funster No
MH
Bailey Alliance 66-2
I think
Just received my Allpowers 200w to replace a cheaper folder....I tested it at 0830hrs yesterday and was pulling 117w. I'm sure if I went outside now I would be nearing the 170w....good piece of kit...🤔🇪🇦🥳👍
I think the key thing as they point out in their own marketing, you can easily (due to the mc4 connectors) join 2 200W together in series (if your battery or mppt controller supports the voltage at about 44V, mine does) or 1x100 and 1x200w happily -> where if you used a device using a non MC4 limit, the cable and connector would not support the current for 2x200W, and you may have a melty conenctor potentially... so you are limited to using other solar panels in parallel, which isn't as effecient.

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
I think

I think the key thing as they point out in their own marketing, you can easily (due to the mc4 connectors) join 2 200W together in series (if your battery or mppt controller supports the voltage at about 44V, mine does) or 1x100 and 1x200w happily -> where if you used a device using a non MC4 limit, the cable and connector would not support the current for 2x200W, and you may have a melty conenctor potentially... so you are limited to using other solar panels in parallel, which isn't as effecient.
Good points...thank you.....I have a rooftop panel that is connected to my Lithium battery via a Victron MPPT controller ..
My new folder will provide two functions, firstly suppliment the charging of my Lithium via another Victron MPPT....and secondly charge my Bluetti Power Pack...

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

• Back