What is going on with DVLA? (1 Viewer)

Dec 30, 2015
Bury
Funster No
MH
Pilote G650L
Exp
Three years
My licence renewal application has been with those useless idiots since the first week of January. How long are these taking at the moment? Anyone any idea? It's a C1 renewal. I sent them a letter from a consultant with additional information. They gave me an email address to get it there as quickly as possible, then said "it takes 10 days to scan it into our system"....... Could they be any more useless?

Apr 7, 2014
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLI 580
Exp
Since 2002
6 months so far waiting for HMRC to deal with something, have been told it might be June when they get to it. It makes DVLA seem positively alacritous.

Upvote 0
Nov 2, 2022
Cumbria, UK
Funster No
MH
Hobby Optima T65 de
Exp
Too long
I had slow progress with my renewal last year. Phoning was nigh on impossible and I was recommended to contact them via twitter(now X) and it works. Usually a reply to my query (which I stated in my message to them) within 24hrs and a telephone call back not long after. They were generally very helpful. Good luck with your renewal. BTW my original reply from them never arrived, strange that!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
acropolis22
Dec 30, 2015
Bury
Funster No
MH
Pilote G650L
Exp
Three years
I had slow progress with my renewal last year. Phoning was nigh on impossible and I was recommended to contact them via twitter(now X) and it works. Usually a reply to my query (which I stated in my message to them) within 24hrs and a telephone call back not long after. They were generally very helpful. Good luck with your renewal. BTW my original reply from them never arrived, strange that!
You're not seriously telling me that the best way to deal with a government service is via Twitter?.......... Unbelievable.

Upvote 0
Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
You're not seriously telling me that the best way to deal with a government service is via Twitter?.......... Unbelievable.
Not just DVLA 6 months in from an accident my son was still waiting for some response from his insurance company, had initially been given settlement figure, no further contact, phone not answered, didn't respond to the ombudsman. Contacted CEO on twitter, all sorted out in 24 hours.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
acropolis22
Dec 30, 2015
Bury
Funster No
MH
Pilote G650L
Exp
Three years
I've had a look. How do I actually ask a question? I never use Twitter/X because I pretty much hate it. All I can see is the usual drivel.

Upvote 0

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Do you have a twitter handle for them to use? Thanks

Upvote 0
Oct 6, 2021
Funster No
MH
PVC
It took DVLA 9 months to give me an all clear letter after they received the information from my consultant telling them I'd made a full recovery and did not need any medication or further treatment.

Upvote 0
Apr 5, 2019
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
I'm a newbie
Had a work colleague aged 65+ with medical problems and it regularly took 9 months to renew his class D license, which meant he would get his license back just in time to renew it again. that went on for at least 6 years.

In the mean time he was still able to drive a bus.

Upvote 0
Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
Several recent threads on license renewal delays.
I'm 79 and have been waiting since applying online on Jan 11th. I heard nothing until April 2nd (the same day my license expired) when I received a medical form by post to fill in but I don't need a D4D inspection which they agreed with last week but still no license.
I've the ferry booked for May 12th and must have a physical license to show when abroad.
See my post #5 here:

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Jan 27, 2018
Northampton
Funster No
MH
Rapido & Bongone
They tried renaming the cock hotel in Northampton. it was a landmark that everyone used including travel reporters. they got so many calls "do you mean the Cock Hotel" that eventually the place was renamed The Cock Hotel

Upvote 1

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
If the useless none medical in any way whatsoever medical team don’t extract their digit soon my darling carer will be my chauffeur for our next trip over the ditch.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
acropolis22
Dec 30, 2015
Bury
Funster No
MH
Pilote G650L
Exp
Three years
Several recent threads on license renewal delays.
I'm 79 and have been waiting since applying online on Jan 11th. I heard nothing until April 2nd (the same day my license expired) when I received a medical form by post to fill in but I don't need a D4D inspection which they agreed with last week but still no license.
I've the ferry booked for May 12th and must have a physical license to show when abroad.
See my post #5 here:

Staggering. I applied about the same time as you, and, co-incidentally, I too have a ferry booked for May 12th. I feel like my summer holiday is going down the pan because of these idiots. And of course there will be no comeback or compensation.

Upvote 0
Apr 6, 2019
Eye, Peterborough, UK
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
FourWinds Windsport 6.8L V10
Did you use recorded/registered post?

Apparently can add three weeks to turn around as bull signed for in central office and then sits in their internal post to get to the right person.

Upvote 0
Nov 2, 2022
Cumbria, UK
Funster No
MH
Hobby Optima T65 de
Exp
Too long
Do you have a twitter handle for them to use? Thanks
Try @dvlagovuk
Sorry that’s all I can find at the moment. I would just put details of your application and ask for someone to contact you.
Worked for me. I have just remembered I think I got the info from this forum, worth doing a search as well.

Upvote 0
Sep 20, 2015
Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto 79R
Exp
since 2014
6 months so far waiting for HMRC to deal with something, have been told it might be June when they get to it. It makes DVLA seem positively alacritous.
HMRC took 18 months to reply to a letter I sent them. I knew they had received the letter because they banked the cheque that I had enclosed. When they eventually got round to replying they wanted all the information I'd given in my letter, resubmitted on a form, that couldn't be bothered to send me!!

Upvote 0
Nov 20, 2022
Congleton
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr 494 lounge
Workshy lazy militant civil servants, you’ll never win with them, I deal with them on a daily basis in my line of business, Hgv and trailer mots are going paperless at the end of April but mot fails or prohibitions are still on paper, I repair and mot hgvs and trailers, don’t get me started on any modifications or type approval issues:mad:

Upvote 0

JRT

Feb 28, 2023
The former North Riding of Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
Nearly did....but...
Exp
40 years caravanning.
It took DVLA 9 months to give me an all clear letter after they received the information from my consultant telling them I'd made a full recovery and did not need any medication or further treatment.

Son in law had a similarly long wait after his COVID stint and DVLA subsequent reportable heath issues.

They do seem hopeless when dealing with health related issues.

Upvote 0

x17ken

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 11, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo
Exp
Since 2015
Workshy lazy militant civil servants, you’ll never win with them, I deal with them on a daily basis in my line of business, Hgv and trailer mots are going paperless at the end of April but mot fails or prohibitions are still on paper, I repair and mot hgvs and trailers, don’t get me started on any modifications or type approval issues:mad:
You will find that the majority of civil servants at the DVLA are hard working young women and men trying to balance their working lives with the pressures of bringing up their kids and living on incomes that are barely sufficient. Like all of us. They have to operate within the regulations that elected politicians have imposed upon them. They do not have sufficient resources to do the job that the whole country wants them to do and I know that customer care is at the top of their priorities. I have not yet met any lazy or militant ones in all my years of dealing and working with them. Their priority is road safety at all times .... unless of course you know otherwise. Best to be specific on this - names and examples etc to back you assertions.

Upvote 0
Apr 26, 2015
Ottershaw
Funster No
MH
Hymer S820
Exp
First motorhome May 2021
If you have a medical condition which requires proof that you are fit enough to drive then it can take several months. Some years ago I had my medical and applied for a provisional class C licence, because I have sleep aponea it took them seven months to issue my licence and I only got it because I was able to print a report from my machine which showed I was compliant with therapy, I got my renewal at 70 in two weeks because as well as the D4 and D2 I included a report from my machine showing I was still compliant with therapy. The main thing is they need to know you're safe to drive so if there is anything you can do to prove it to them then you should send it.

Upvote 0
Nov 20, 2022
Congleton
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr 494 lounge
Things like like that’s not my department or that’s not my job then put you back to the start,several departments that do not communicate often sitting/ working alongside each other unless there working 🤔from home, I know and speak to DVSA staff daily on Hgv testing lanes, they are mostly decent individuals on the testing lanes that are doing a great job,but DVLA office staff are very much jobsworths that would not be tolerated in the real world.

Upvote 0
Jul 25, 2022
Newington, Sittingbourne, Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
July 2022
Is Twitter/X recognised under English law as a valid legal form of communication?
Anything is recognised as a valid form of communication as long as you can prove you provided the information and it was in a form recognisable and accepted by the receiving party. For example, under EU procurement law, a supplier of every member state could apply for UK government tenders but if we stated their replies had to be in English only, they had to comply or have their tender excluded.

Upvote 1

x17ken

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 11, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo
Exp
Since 2015
Things like like that’s not my department or that’s not my job then put you back to the start,several departments that do not communicate often sitting/ working alongside each other unless there working 🤔from home, I know and speak to DVSA staff daily on Hgv testing lanes, they are mostly decent individuals on the testing lanes that are doing a great job,but DVLA office staff are very much jobsworths that would not be tolerated in the real world.
You clearly have had a bad experience. The best thing to do is send a complaint directly to the DVLA Chief Executive's office. That will get you the attention you need. The DVSA are a very different organisation in terms of their make up and role. The bulk of their staff are middle ranking technical and examining staff. Around 65% of them are male. Comparisons with the low ranking clerical staff in the female dominated DVLA are not that relevant. I know and have met many DVLA employees over my 40 years of living nearby. All of them have been "decent individuals" and hard working with a strong sense of responsibility. Many struggle to balance child rearing with working life, like working women (and men) everywhere. In their "real world' they have had to become significant contributors to the family budget since the demise of our heavy industries, high levels of unemployment and continuing threats to local jobs to this day (eg. in nearby Port Talbot). In our economy inward investment is currently dismal, Welsh GDP is one of the lowest in the UK, and many of our valley towns and villages are in terminal decay. I'm sure that many of the DVLA staff could prove themselves and be "tolerated" elsewhere if they had the chance and/or opportunity. On a positive note, I read recently that the DVLA retained the independently assessed Customer Service Excellence Accreditation for the 15th year running. So I guess they are getting it right for some.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back