Your Beer of the week (5 Viewers)

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Bought this in Aldi Dumfries yesterday the best Scottish ale I have drunk to date , brewed in Alloa, going to see if we can visit them and buy more 👍

IMG_1275.jpeg

IMG_1276.jpeg

Jan 25, 2022
Funster No
MH
Elddis
Yes, the Piraat was my favourite but they were all really good and nice just having one of each to work through with tasting notes.

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
Whats becoming more evident these days is that more of you are choosing beers in Cans and not bottles, maybe the producer only offers its products in cans, which is also a change from the past in many cases.
I know too many beers are sold in the wrong colour glass ie: Clear, and light Green which I am told is affected by UV light and come across as "Skunked"?
Apparently its all about how the beer is stored in shops, maybe I have been listening to the beer reviewers too much, however I do know that many premium brand now expensive lagers brewed here in The UK, are definitely not the same as those sold on The Continent, lower ABV and different flavour, and the question is WHY do we accept that?
I personally only buy buy beers in glass from the shops, and have been very surprised, both ways, by the results.
Good news is Beer is not usually as expensive mistake as wines, which was always a gamble year by year.
Still cannot match a good beer from The Tap....Taxi!
Cheers to all.
LES

CAB96

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 31, 2021
Stockport, UK
Funster No
MH
T6 Leisuredrive
Exp
3+
I've only just found this thread so this beer is not from this week but is worth a mention.
Black Lurcher stout 7%, Abbeydale brewery, one of the most flavourful beers I've ever tasted but quite strong. Available from the Three Stags Heads Inn, Mires Lane, Wardlow SK17 8RW. The only changes this pub has seen since the 17th Century has been the introduction of electricity at some time in the 20th Century, a fascinating place.
That really is a cracking pub.

Sep 17, 2020
Totton
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 745
Exp
Since Sept 2020.
I'll start with an apology, I'm going to talk about low or no alcohol beers, which arguably aren't really beers, and I'm going to mention a couple that many wouldn't consider even with the alcohol in.
It's a temporary thing for me, driven by my having had what I'm referring to as a 'strokette' a couple of weeks ago and then getting a well-deserved bollocking from the consultant about my diet, lifestyle, weight and drinking habits. (Notes say 'excessive, query dependent' which was a bit of a slap up-side the head). I vowed to stay off alcohol until my 6 week follow up, which at the time of writing is four weeks, one day, 14 hours and 30 minutes away, not that I'm counting .... the last real drink I had was the glass of wine I couldn't pick up because my right arm had temporarily stopped talking to my brain, or possibly vice-versa.

The majority of 0% beers are awful. The ones I've been able to mostly enjoy are Leffe Blonde, Moretti and St Miguel. The Corona one tastes 99% like the real Corona, i.e. almost nothing, but I'm not a fan of that anyway so it's small comfort.

The stand-out winner is Guinness 00. Widget in the can so the same 'settle' in the glass, same head and very very nearly the same taste, maybe a tad sweeter, but not a lot.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
The stand-out winner is Guinness 00. Widget in the can so the same 'settle' in the glass, same head and very very nearly the same taste, maybe a tad sweeter, but not a lot.

Guinness 00 is spot on.
I totally agree with you both :) and I wish you well in your efforts to change your lifestyle somewhat Trevor. Good luck. (y)

BTW, the Erding Weissbier low alcohol version is nice too. ;)

Cheers,

Jock. :)

CAB96

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 31, 2021
Stockport, UK
Funster No
MH
T6 Leisuredrive
Exp
3+
I'll start with an apology, I'm going to talk about low or no alcohol beers, which arguably aren't really beers, and I'm going to mention a couple that many wouldn't consider even with the alcohol in.
It's a temporary thing for me, driven by my having had what I'm referring to as a 'strokette' a couple of weeks ago and then getting a well-deserved bollocking from the consultant about my diet, lifestyle, weight and drinking habits. (Notes say 'excessive, query dependent' which was a bit of a slap up-side the head). I vowed to stay off alcohol until my 6 week follow up, which at the time of writing is four weeks, one day, 14 hours and 30 minutes away, not that I'm counting .... the last real drink I had was the glass of wine I couldn't pick up because my right arm had temporarily stopped talking to my brain, or possibly vice-versa.

The majority of 0% beers are awful. The ones I've been able to mostly enjoy are Leffe Blonde, Moretti and St Miguel. The Corona one tastes 99% like the real Corona, i.e. almost nothing, but I'm not a fan of that anyway so it's small comfort.

Absolutely.

I can't stand most LA beers. I'm not a lager or IPA lover (but appreciate decent ones occasionally) and couldn't find a decent LAB.

Then I found the Big Drop stout, pretty good and no off taste, but the Guinness 0.0 is excellent. Always have some in the van just in case.

Sep 21, 2007
Kings Ripton, Huntingdon
Funster No
MH
RP Rebellion 2 2024
Exp
Since 2007
My beer of the week is the one I’m drinking right now. This is certainly the best beer I’ve had up in Scotland ever. It’s a 6.2% IPA and really hoppy just how I like them. 😎 Tesco in Thurso is where we got it from, another visit to there will be made very shortly. 🍻🍻💪

C8A031A1-C4FB-4A22-9AA9-4FD44827DDB3.jpeg

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 23, 2013
Not on the Coast East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B504
Exp
Since 2013

I recommend having a try of the German Clausthaler 0.0 Beers they have a number in the range and pioneered the low alcohol move a long time ago. The supermarkets usually have the unfiltered Dry but Beers of Europe will have most of them.

Sep 17, 2020
Totton
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 745
Exp
Since Sept 2020.
I recommend having a try of the German Clausthaler 0.0 Beers they have a number in the range and pioneered the low alcohol move a long time ago. The supermarkets usually have the unfiltered Dry but Beers of Europe will have most of them.
Will do. Got some Brooklyn 0.4% yesterday, that's very drinkable.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back