Which battery is which? (1 Viewer)

Jul 16, 2020
Glenrothes
Funster No
MH
Talbot Express
Exp
since 2018
Can somebody tell me which battery is the van one and which one is the hab one please.

IMG_20231122_102234651.jpg

Bobby-gg

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 28, 2020
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Ducato IH pvc
Exp
Since 2010
Just making a semi educated guess here, but looking at the wires you've left connected it could be the top one, but then again, they are matched batteries, so perhaps they are both your leisure batteries and your starter battery is elsewhere - ducato's have the starter battery under the passenger feet

68c

Oct 22, 2019
Southampton
Funster No
MH
2001 Pilote 270
Exp
Since 2004
As they are both disconnected and assuming you can start the engine they are both leisure batteries.

OP
OP
A
Jul 16, 2020
Glenrothes
Funster No
MH
Talbot Express
Exp
since 2018
These are under the drivers seat. The two batteries are disconnected and the moho doesnt start so one of them is the engine battery.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I also have a 2009 Dethleffs T66 Sunlight which is the moho I am asking the question about.
Justing to confuse us.
If its a Ford they often have two batteries one for engine starting and one for the Ford electrics. Then you would have a seperate leisure battery.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
They are both starting or engine batteries.. not leisure batteries

as Lenny said , suspect your leisure battery is elsewhere

Do you have 12v power in the hab area when these are disconnected.. ?

that will prove it , one way or the other

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
A
Jul 16, 2020
Glenrothes
Funster No
MH
Talbot Express
Exp
since 2018
Just been out to check them. The lower battery is the starter battery. There isnt a third battery anywhere as the other battery is the leisure battery as I could operate the internal lights with it on. The starter is the dodgy battery and I bought the same battery to replace it with. Should I go with a different one for the leisure battery.

Apr 9, 2018
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo 75-4t
Exp
March 2018
Just been out to check them. The lower battery is the starter battery. There isnt a third battery anywhere as the other battery is the leisure battery as I could operate the internal lights with it on. The starter is the dodgy battery and I bought the same battery to replace it with. Should I go with a different one for the leisure
Battery experts will be along, but leisure batteries are usually deep cycle whereas starter batteries are not. Starter batteries are usually capable of higher cranking power.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Just been out to check them. The lower battery is the starter battery. There isnt a third battery anywhere as the other battery is the leisure battery as I could operate the internal lights with it on. The starter is the dodgy battery and I bought the same battery to replace it with. Should I go with a different one for the leisure batteRY
Starter batteries are not a good choice for leisure batteries, I think your van was originally fitted with a Gel battery. Check the front of your EBL it should have a switch on the right hand side that can switch between lead & Gel as Gel's need a different charging profile.

An 80ah Gel will give you more available power than a 100ah standard lead acid battery

This is probably what was originally fitted.

This is the Sonnenschein equivalent ( they make the Exide Gels ) it says in the listing 75 ah it is actually 78 ah.

Last edited:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Battery experts will be along, but leisure batteries are usually deep cycle whereas starter batteries are not. Starter batteries are usually capable of higher cranking power.
Or.....cheaper leisure batteries are simply relabeled starter batteries at a premium price.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
The lower of the 2 batteries is the starter battery. Easy to identify by the wires feeding from it being bigger and the positive having a fuse panel on the terminal. The top one is the leisure

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back