What mark up do dealers make on MH's (1 Viewer)

Nov 3, 2016
Derbyshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph
Exp
Since 2016
So ill be done with mine around mid April and started having a feel around what dealers would buy it for cash.

I know its the worst time. April/May will be start of the season and probably good timing to adjust prices north.

I paid £68,500 and have dropped another £5k+ in to the van in Victron and Lithium upgrades along with a few extra bits.
Comparable models for sale are only a few. But £65k £72k and one with delivery miles at £79k without the upgrades fitted this is.

3 Dealers have made offers of £47k. £50k & £54k!

The one at £47k tried telling me its only with £65k retail.... Ok so thats up to £18k mark up. Bearing in mind its a 21 plate with van varranty still and Bailey warranty for a few bits still. Last hab check done in Nov 23. Not much to warrant really so minimal risk.

Do they really expect that much mark up. Or is it just time of year not wanting stuff unless its silly cheap?

Apr 17, 2016
South Coast
Funster No
MH
White One..
Exp
3 years….
Why are alm these people moaning about what dealers make on their vehicles, it’s simple really if you don’t want people making money from you sell it private and have all the tyre kickers and time wasters coming around and wasting your time!!

I choose to let a mate sell my cars as they tend to be 18-24 months old and he can PX and offer finance, don’t care what he makes I tell him what I would like and normally I get it.
Most times they are sold before I take them over or a few days later.

If I thought he was shafting me I wouldn’t be using him again.

Upvote 0
Oct 25, 2016
Hartford Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 79-
Exp
Lots but slow learner.
Why are alm these people moaning about what dealers make on their vehicles, it’s simple really if you don’t want people making money from you sell it private and have all the tyre kickers and time wasters coming around and wasting your time!!

I choose to let a mate sell my cars as they tend to be 18-24 months old and he can PX and offer finance, don’t care what he makes I tell him what I would like and normally I get it.
Most times they are sold before I take them over or a few days later.

If I thought he was shafting me I wouldn’t be using him again.
And that's why i walked.

Upvote 0
Jun 3, 2021
Funster No
MH
Hymer B680
Motorhome Depot worked fine for us.

We told them what we wanted, they did all the advertising and vetting of buyers. Sold within a couple of weeks to the first couple who came to see it.

Full cash transfer on collection. I wanted £48k, I believe they had it advertised for £52K.
Same for me, I wanted £43k they sold it for £47k I think.

Upvote 0

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Carthago I 143 LE
Exp
Since 2016
Dont mention markups from dealers or stealers.

I purchased a BMW X6 and me in my great wisdom went back to the garage I purchased my part ex car from thinking I'll get a good deal so.....

Jaguar XF 2014 purchased for cash 3 months before for £14,000 garage said best we can do is £12,000 part ex so ok deal done.
I was sat in the office finishing off the paperwork and outside they was washing the Jag and before I left it was on the forecourt for £15,000.

Markups my arse, robbing gits.

Anyway, X6 was a bag of shite for has Jag back after many arguments.
They will not have sold it for that, then they have to pay for valet, anything that needs doing, service and MOT it, then offer some sort of warranty and as stated above pay VAT on the profit.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
There’s a lot of factors at play here.

It’s the fact that a lot of dealers pretend and tell you your car/van isn’t worth much, there’s no call for them etc, but I’ll take it off your hands at a push.
People get annoyed with that, dealers would be better saying” it’s a nice vehicle I’m going to sell it for £15000 etc more than I’m offering you, I’ve got a business to run, work to do on it, offer a warranty, habitation check, wages to pay, rent, overheads etc.

But then if they told the truth would some folk try to then sell it themselves?

Upvote 0

Simon Select

MH Trader
LIFE MEMBER
Mar 18, 2016
Devon
Funster No
MH
A Class Coachbuilt
Exp
25 Years
So ill be done with mine around mid April and started having a feel around what dealers would buy it for cash.

I know its the worst time. April/May will be start of the season and probably good timing to adjust prices north.

I paid £68,500 and have dropped another £5k+ in to the van in Victron and Lithium upgrades along with a few extra bits.
Comparable models for sale are only a few. But £65k £72k and one with delivery miles at £79k without the upgrades fitted this is.

The one at £47k tried telling me its only with £65k retail.... Ok so thats up to £18k mark up. Bearing in mind its a 21 plate with van varranty still and Bailey warranty for a few bits still. Last hab check done in Nov 23. Not much to warrant really so minimal risk.

Do they really expect that much mark up. Or is it just time of year not wanting stuff unless its silly cheap?
I have sent you two private messages now!
P.S. if you are going to sell it privately, get rid of the photo of you with the dog in there.
I love dogs however not everyone does and people that don't own a dog won't want a van that's clearly had a dog!

Upvote 0
Nov 6, 2013
S. Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
The usual
Exp
Since the beginning

Don't forget overheads - flash showrooms, salespeople with cheap suits and fake watches, huge level of "dead money" tied up in stock. Then all the boring stuff like insurances, wages, pensions etc. Then the damn customers who now want decent coffee, warranties - and that's before the rip the backside out the salespeople with the cheap suits andfake watches for discounts / extras etc.
The smart person buys second hand - a year or two old. Some other mug has take the the showroom exit loss, after adding extras (which add very little to the intrinsic vehicle value), and then had the obligatory snagging done.

Upvote 0

Simon Select

MH Trader
LIFE MEMBER
Mar 18, 2016
Devon
Funster No
MH
A Class Coachbuilt
Exp
25 Years
Don't forget overheads - flash showrooms, salespeople with cheap suits and fake watches, huge level of "dead money" tied up in stock. Then all the boring stuff like insurances, wages, pensions etc. Then the damn customers who now want decent coffee, warranties - and that's before the rip the backside out the salespeople with the cheap suits andfake watches for discounts / extras etc.
The smart person buys second hand - a year or two old. Some other mug has take the the showroom exit loss, after adding extras (which add very little to the intrinsic vehicle value), and then had the obligatory snagging done.
Wow, thanks for the generalising of sales people.........
If it helps, I wear a body warmer with a polo shirt and don't own a watch........

Upvote 0
Nov 14, 2018
Europe
Funster No
MH
A grey one
Exp
since 1996
Bit patronising. So how would you class anyone that buys new? Not very smart? bit dim? I've bought 6 months old 5 times, about to buy a new one, where am I on the 'smart' scale then?

Upvote 0
Mar 7, 2023
Bristol, UK
Funster No
MH
Frankia
Exp

Near 40% mark up seems very high to me 🤪

Upvote 0

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
You're in effect not paying vat on the motorhome but on the services the dealer provided no difference to paying vat on the services of a builder or mechanic or anyone else.

Then only the service should be vat charged but it includes the profit on the van as well.

Upvote 0

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie

As you say if you’re selling and not happy with the amount don’t sell.

It’s the same in the building trade, price a job and people moan you are making too much money.
If so move on to another qoute 🤷‍♂️

Upvote 0
Apr 17, 2016
South Coast
Funster No
MH
White One..
Exp
3 years….
As you say if you’re selling and not happy with the amount don’t sell.

It’s the same in the building trade, price a job and people moan you are making too much money.
If so move on to another qoute 🤷‍♂️
Yes and nobody ever offers you more money if you have priced a job and lost money on it🤔🤔🤔

Upvote 0
May 7, 2017
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
2017 Chausson 718XLB 180
Exp
20 years
Motorhome Depot worked fine for us.

We told them what we wanted, they did all the advertising and vetting of buyers. Sold within a couple of weeks to the first couple who came to see it.

Full cash transfer on collection. I wanted £48k, I believe they had it advertised for £52K.
Good idea, I done that years ago with a local dealer, they put their markup on , I didn't care what they sold it for I was satisfied

Upvote 0

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
Well Brownhills (year to Sep22) made a net pre tax profit of £7m on £87m revenues which is hardly excessive - oh, and they have changed into an Employee Owned Trust!

Effectively smallish return on high risk.

This would also include servicing and spares sold so they arnt making a fortune.

Unless the employees are on massive wages 😊

Upvote 0
Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Then only the service should be vat charged but it includes the profit on the van as well.
The service provided by the dealer is retailing the van. The vat is therefore the difference between the price the dealer pays for the van and what they sell it for the same as any other trade. They can of course reclaim vat on any overheads parts services bought in as part of their trade. As I pointed out if vat applied more than once to the actual motorhome it would be a straight 20% of the retail price and it isn't.

In the example of the building industry vat is on what they charge in total including presumably the element that is profit it is after all a value added tax

I don't see it as too hard to grasp.

Upvote 0
Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
19 month year 18000 miles UK, Ireland, France, Spain, Germany, Italy. Campsites and off Grid.
I find it amusing when a buyer thinks they got an excellent price for their van on trade in for a new one. What they don't realise is that the dealer screwed them over on the purchase price of the new van. Then there's the bloke who got it new motorhome really cheap but doesn't realise the dealer screwed him on the trade in value of his present motorhome.

Whatever way you look at it the dealer always wins. Unless - you sale privately and sell well, and then pull off a good deal for cash at the dealer or wherever you go to buy.

It's all smoke and mirrors.

Upvote 0

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
The service provided by the dealer is retailing the van. The vat is therefore the difference between the price the dealer pays for the van and what they sell it for the same as any other trade. They can of course reclaim vat on any overheads parts services bought in as part of their trade. As I pointed out if vat applied more than once to the actual motorhome it would be a straight 20% of the retail price and it isn't.

I understand all of your post.
But their service wouldn’t amount to say 10 or 12k per vehicle.
Hence my post.

Upvote 0

Steve and Denise

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2011
Spalding LINCS
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago
Exp
Since 2008

In the example of the building industry vat is on what they charge in total including presumably the element that is profit it is after all a value added tax

It is for some 🤣

Upvote 0

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
I find it amusing when a buyer thinks they got an excellent price for their van on trade in for a new one. What they don't realise is that the dealer screwed them over on the purchase price of the new van. Then there's the bloke who got it new motorhome really cheap but doesn't realise the dealer screwed him on the trade in value of his present motorhome.

Whatever way you look at it the dealer always wins. Unless - you sale privately and sell well, and then pull off a good deal for cash at the dealer or wherever you go to buy.

It's all smoke and mirrors.

The way I see it is you’re screwed over if you had to sell to a dealer with a gun to you’re head.

As we know this isn’t the case and you can walk away if not happy.

Upvote 0
Sep 3, 2018
Epsom
Funster No
MH
Hymercar Yellowstone
Exp
Since 2017
Also don't forget that we have to pay VAT on any profit we make.........
I'm not sure if many people on here understand VAT. VAT is a consumption tax on the end-user. Dealers don't suffer VAT as such, they are merely collection agents for HMRC. The pay over the difference between their input and output VAT via quarterly tax returns (they collect more VAT from us than they pay out to their suppliers, hence the pay-out of the difference to HMRC). They only "suffer" from Corporation Tax . But if the OP's van + extras was say £72k, the cost was only £60k, with £12k going to HM Treasury. So £60k is prob your best starting number. Please correct me if wrong.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
I understand all of your post.
But their service wouldn’t amount to say 10 or 12k per vehicle.
Hence my post.
What else is the 10 to 12 k other than the value added! It's in effect the dealers charge for retailing the motorhome. It's not all profit of course as they have all the overheads of the buisness like premises,heat light power,staff,parts fitted, valeting ,advertising etc plus an element of profit. They will reclaim the vat on the vat able inputs and pay the net amount on their vat return which in effect is the net cost of their service in selling motorhomes.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back