What mark up do dealers make on MH's (1 Viewer)

Nov 3, 2016
Derbyshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph
Exp
Since 2016
So ill be done with mine around mid April and started having a feel around what dealers would buy it for cash.

I know its the worst time. April/May will be start of the season and probably good timing to adjust prices north.

I paid £68,500 and have dropped another £5k+ in to the van in Victron and Lithium upgrades along with a few extra bits.
Comparable models for sale are only a few. But £65k £72k and one with delivery miles at £79k without the upgrades fitted this is.

3 Dealers have made offers of £47k. £50k & £54k!

The one at £47k tried telling me its only with £65k retail.... Ok so thats up to £18k mark up. Bearing in mind its a 21 plate with van varranty still and Bailey warranty for a few bits still. Last hab check done in Nov 23. Not much to warrant really so minimal risk.

Do they really expect that much mark up. Or is it just time of year not wanting stuff unless its silly cheap?

Apr 2, 2021
Funster No
MH
Malibu 640
The dealer has to pay 20% vat on the profit that is made when the van is sold again, so a £12,000 margin comes down to £10,000 before overheads.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Feb 12, 2018
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 600SL
Exp
Since 2017
You have already paid vat when you purchased your van! Why would you as a private seller pay again 🙂
Sorry if I am adding to any confusion. I was just trying to make clear that Dealers have to pay Vat on the margin when selling a second-hand vehicle. Obviously private sellers do not. So, when a Dealer decides on the mark-up, he has to include the VAT he will have to pay.

Of course, this begs the question as to why any further VAT should ever collected by HMRC when VAT was paid when the vehicle was new. :unsure:

Upvote 0

Simon Select

MH Trader
LIFE MEMBER
Mar 18, 2016
Devon
Funster No
MH
A Class Coachbuilt
Exp
25 Years
Also don't forget that we have to pay VAT on any profit we make.........

Upvote 0
Oct 25, 2016
Hartford Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 79-
Exp
Lots but slow learner.
On the theme of mark up.
Last week i went to Blackburn in the hope of buying a nearly new Mini, 23 Reg, 1740 miles.
I did research on the sale of our Fiat Dolcivita, same are selling for between £11k and 11.5K.
Knowing the dealer is a business i was prepared to accept £9.5 or there abouts.
He offered £7k in PX.....................i walked.
Accept it or don't, i didn't. He would have put the on the forecourt at £11,250/£11,500. Not a bad margin on a circa £10k car eh, £4 to 4.5k. I know i know he has to pay this that and the others, i have been in business i'm aware. Not bad trading if you are selling 100 cars a week as he boasted.

Upvote 1
Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Sorry if I am adding to any confusion. I was just trying to make clear that Dealers have to pay Vat on the margin when selling a second-hand vehicle. Obviously private sellers do not. So, when a Dealer decides on the mark-up, he has to include the VAT he will have to pay.

Of course, this begs the question as to why any further VAT should ever collected by HMRC when VAT was paid when the vehicle was new. :unsure:
You're in effect not paying vat on the motorhome but on the services the dealer provided no difference to paying vat on the services of a builder or mechanic or anyone else.

Upvote 0
Jan 30, 2020
Mid Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
RS Endeavour
Exp
Just a tad..
Lol. Well I have many hobbies.

But I’m a car guy. I’d like to own one of everything before I die. I don’t have the money to keep them all or a big enough garage. So I buy a lot of cars and run them and sell at the same time ready to get the next one.
Yes I spend a lot of time browsing eBay

In 2022 I had 3 different Mercs. an MX5. A Ford Pick up. An electric car and my Harley.

I don’t know you, but I like you! 🤣

Upvote 1
Nov 6, 2023
Lingfield RH7 6LE, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner ixeo it 720
Exp
Still newbie June 2022
You don't know what profit is for?

So they've sold all their vans this year, paid themselves. Made no profit. So how do they buy another van to sell, Or advertise their business, expand their business premises, or even pay wages on the 30th Jan. :doh:
You and me both as iv still got nothing left.

Upvote 0

Bazzagas

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2022
Newcastle upon Tyne, UK
Funster No
MH
Fiat ducato bessacar
Motorhome Depot worked fine for us.

We told them what we wanted, they did all the advertising and vetting of buyers. Sold within a couple of weeks to the first couple who came to see it.

Full cash transfer on collection. I wanted £48k, I believe they had it advertised for £52K.
Another shout for motorhome depot...I sold my nissan elgrand with them...it went very quickly..then we bought a motorhome off them...hey were great...I think they aim for around 10% ...I would use them again...

Upvote 0
Feb 12, 2022
Devon, UK
Funster No
MH
Thinking about it 🤔
Exp
20+ years in the leisure industry
So ill be done with mine around mid April and started having a feel around what dealers would buy it for cash.

I know its the worst time. April/May will be start of the season and probably good timing to adjust prices north.

I paid £68,500 and have dropped another £5k+ in to the van in Victron and Lithium upgrades along with a few extra bits.
Comparable models for sale are only a few. But £65k £72k and one with delivery miles at £79k without the upgrades fitted this is.

The one at £47k tried telling me its only with £65k retail.... Ok so thats up to £18k mark up. Bearing in mind its a 21 plate with van varranty still and Bailey warranty for a few bits still. Last hab check done in Nov 23. Not much to warrant really so minimal risk.

Do they really expect that much mark up. Or is it just time of year not wanting stuff unless its silly cheap?

Simon Select

Upvote 0
Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007

Are you giving up motorhoming?

Upvote 0

Realist

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 4, 2018
Wales last time I checked.
Funster No
MH
Caravan: Buccaneer
Exp
Caravan before 2000 / Motorhome From 2018 to 22 / Now Caravan again.
Dont mention markups from dealers or stealers.

I purchased a BMW X6 and me in my great wisdom went back to the garage I purchased my part ex car from thinking I'll get a good deal so.....

Jaguar XF 2014 purchased for cash 3 months before for £14,000 garage said best we can do is £12,000 part ex so ok deal done.
I was sat in the office finishing off the paperwork and outside they was washing the Jag and before I left it was on the forecourt for £15,000.

Markups my arse, robbing gits.

Anyway, X6 was a bag of shite for has Jag back after many arguments.

Upvote 0
Oct 15, 2020
Darlington
Funster No
MH
Pilote
Exp
Since 2009
Recently part ext a MH dealer was adamant it would be hard to sell on so settled for £54,000 only to see on my return to the dealership up for £69,995 hope it is on their fore court for at least the next five years underhanded bast#?ds

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back