What is going on with DVLA? (1 Viewer)

Dec 30, 2015
Bury
Funster No
MH
Pilote G650L
Exp
Three years
My licence renewal application has been with those useless idiots since the first week of January. How long are these taking at the moment? Anyone any idea? It's a C1 renewal. I sent them a letter from a consultant with additional information. They gave me an email address to get it there as quickly as possible, then said "it takes 10 days to scan it into our system"....... Could they be any more useless?

Sep 18, 2021
East Lothian, UK
Funster No
MH
bessacarr e745
I’ll add my troubles to the DVLA list.
I sent my C1 renewal form in December last year. I’ve twice and yes I got through, finally, to the medical team!
They said I should receive my licence in two weeks .i am still waiting. I then sent an email because my licence had run out and I needed it to drive to my garage for service and MOT. They said have you read Section 88!! I said no so they sent me a copy by email. Section 88 allows drivers to drive on the road until they actually receive their new licence.
Ok until you need to renew your insurance
If your license expires
hello 🥰 what email address did you use for DVLA please? We couldn’t find one.

Upvote 0
Aug 6, 2011
Chester-le-Street, UK
Funster No
MH
Malibu 640 GtRb
Exp
since 2011
My licence renewal application has been with those useless idiots since the first week of January. How long are these taking at the moment? Anyone any idea? It's a C1 renewal. I sent them a letter from a consultant with additional information. They gave me an email address to get it there as quickly as possible, then said "it takes 10 days to scan it into our system"....... Could they be any more useless?
Sad to say we ended up contacting our local MP after waiting nearly a year..DVLA telephoned us a couple of days later with the offer of an ordinary licence...we took it then downsized the van!

Upvote 0

New Jeff

Free Member
Apr 18, 2024
Funster No
MH
Citroen Relay
Hi, think you need to complain. See link.

Upvote 0
Oct 15, 2020
Darlington
Funster No
MH
Pilote
Exp
Since 2009
Applied for mine 3rd Jan heard nothing rang them 8th feb, 10th Mar; again in April only to be told on all three occasions it was being processed. Still no joy

Upvote 0
Jun 12, 2014
Fife
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since1982
Exactly the same position as the OP. Sent application in in early January with all necessary supporting documents for renewing C1. Got a reply within a week that I needed a new photo. Sent of within a couple of days. Nothing happened till March, when after speaking on the phone, I got two letters one day apart requesting I get my eyes retested at Specsavers, ( evidently DVLA have an agreement with them for doing eye tests which is another story ) and then having to get blood pressures retested. To be fair the girl gave me an email address to send the results back so the process could be speeded up, as I explained that I would be driving abroad on the 29th May. All satisfactory. My licence ran out on 4th April. Telephoned again just last week to be told that it was in the system, and no-one can say how long it will take.

Upvote 0
Jul 13, 2023
All over Europe now
Funster No
MH
Adria 680ST Gold
My C1 saga is now in 7th month ,, im 66 so it should be a doddle , but DVLA lost my entitlement when I changed address, ther eis a long thread on this ,, The whole sage has gone to ombudsman ,, as DVLA have royally screwed up I have pre 1997 grandfather rights to C1 it was on my license for over 40 years ,, I actually passed a C1 for an employer in 1987
and there is no medical problems ,,

DVLA have been appalling the y said I had a medical condition??? nope , they said I never passed the C1 test... ha ha I have copies of all old licenses and test pass,,,

MP was called in he ended up being lied to by DVLA ,,, we went through all the complants departments and a letter to DVLA Ceo ,, last straw was when they said they had lost my old records ,,, clearly a lie as I passed my M/C test in 1975 and they do have that on their computer

I dont know how long the ombudsman will take he is snowed under

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
I applied for a replacement for a lost licence on Saturday. New one through the door on Tuesday.
That's because it's simple . They just print an exact copy of the lost one. I got a v5 in a week too but that doesn't mean dvla provides a good service.

Even a broken clock is right twice a day

Upvote 0
OP
OP
acropolis22
Dec 30, 2015
Bury
Funster No
MH
Pilote G650L
Exp
Three years
I'm now seriously depressed having read all the latest posts, some of which sound even worse than my situation.......

Upvote 0
Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
If you have a medical condition which requires proof that you are fit enough to drive then it can take several months. Some years ago I had my medical and applied for a provisional class C licence, because I have sleep aponea it took them seven months to issue my licence and I only got it because I was able to print a report from my machine which showed I was compliant with therapy, I got my renewal at 70 in two weeks because as well as the D4 and D2 I included a report from my machine showing I was still compliant with therapy. The main thing is they need to know you're safe to drive so if there is anything you can do to prove it to them then you should send it.
John is also on CPAP first renewal all info was sent in, including copies of consultants letters. DVLA decided they wanted the readings in a different format than the one recognised and used by all NHS hospitals at that time. Took several months to sort out, fortunately I had C1 and drove the van often. Next time we both required new C1s within 3 days of each other, John's came through fine, mine took a little longer. We decided to downsize after that as i couldn't stand the stress.

Upvote 0
Apr 3, 2019
UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Travel Van
Exp
Few years now
That's because it's simple . They just print an exact copy of the lost one. I got a v5 in a week too but that doesn't mean dvla provides a good service.

Even a broken clock is right twice a day
Less than 2 working days to my door. I would say that is good service regardless of how simple the process might be.

Upvote 0
Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
I was told the medical team only meet so often and anything not dealt with at that meeting gets put back to the next meeting.

If so, DVLA need to sort out their procedures and resources for medical reviews.

Although no help with DVLA and UK Driving Licences (please note spelling all - same as on your licence) I prefer the Polish system for medicals where one goes to a government centre for tests and at the end sits in front of a Doctor who reviews them and signs your medical off for the licence to be renewed.

Upvote 0
Feb 12, 2023
Walsall, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer 522 Van
Exp
Since 2021
Work from Home brigade, no one in office!

Upvote 0
Mar 19, 2016
France
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2005
Just done my first D2+D4 to keep my C1 Did the medical with D4drivers. All submitted and licence returned in just over a couple of weeks. On the other hand I sent V5 for conversion from panel van to motor caravan and not heard after 3 weeks. They recommend chasing after 4 weeks so we’ll see

Upvote 0
Aug 19, 2013
Wells, Somerset
Funster No
MH
Elddis 115
Exp
since 2004
My over 80 licence renewal took 2 just weeks😀. Was a little worried having read this posting as we are away soon. Just travel insurance to sort now! 🙄

Upvote 0
Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
They do seem hopeless when dealing with health related issues.
AsI posted on another thread re; this situation when you break it down the "medical team" have to process 3,500 cases per day just to stand still. That's right there are 17,500 referrals each & every week.
I would have preferred to actually speak to the medical team but I guess that's too much to expect.
There is no "medical team" It is a committee made up of staff .
who are unfortunately decidedly slow.
as above even if they employed 1000 people solely on "medicals" they would each have to sign off 3,5 cases per day
and told me these people are bloody impossible to reason with
because they are not medically qualified.
here one goes to a government centre for tests and at the end sits in front of a Doctor who reviews them and signs your medical off for the licence to be renewed.
exactly the same here in spain & what i suggested needs to be done in the UK so that when the application is made it is a simple sign off,print & send

Upvote 0

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Just done my first D2+D4 to keep my C1 Did the medical with D4drivers. All submitted and licence returned in just over a couple of weeks. On the other hand I sent V5 for conversion from panel van to motor caravan and not heard after 3 weeks. They recommend chasing after 4 weeks so we’ll see
I hope that mine goes as well. Sent it in last monday, medical from D4D but prepared to be disappointed as with every other dealing that I have had with the simple serpents

Upvote 0
Oct 12, 2009
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
AsI posted on another thread re; this situation when you break it down the "medical team" have to process 3,500 cases per day just to stand still. That's right there are 17,500 referrals each & every week.

There is no "medical team" It is a committee made up of staff .

as above even if they employed 1000 people solely on "medicals" they would each have to sign off 3,5 cases per day

because they are not medically qualified.

exactly the same here in spain & what i suggested needs to be done in the UK so that when the application is made it is a simple sign off,print & send

What Government/Minister decided that it was appropriate for non-medically qualified civil servants to sign off marginally fit people to drive vehicles from 3.5t up to 44 tons?

Upvote 0

x17ken

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 11, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo
Exp
Since 2015
What Government/Minister decided that it was appropriate for non-medically qualified civil servants to sign off marginally fit people to drive vehicles from 3.5t up to 44 tons?
The DVLA have a medical team that comprises of qualified medical doctors and support staff. The support staff do not make medical decisions. The doctors at the DVLA rely heavily on the advice of local GPs and will often refer to them for further information in specific cases. Support staff in the medical team tend to handle the more straightforward cases and provide admin support to the professionally qualified staff.

Upvote 0

x17ken

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 11, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo
Exp
Since 2015
How often do the medical team meet I know the answer but SWMBO says I must not say
I stand to be corrected on this, but my understanding is that the leaders of the team meet, as any other team would, to discuss and agree standards and processes. And I would guess that from time to time there are cases that require some collective decisions. But for the generality of cases they work as full and part-time workers in a process that is well defined and understood. The idea that every case that goes for medical determination has to go to a meeting is pure nonsense.

Upvote 0
Oct 12, 2009
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
The DVLA have a medical team that comprises of qualified medical doctors and support staff. The support staff do not make medical decisions. The doctors at the DVLA rely heavily on the advice of local GPs and will often refer to them for further information in specific cases. Support staff in the medical team tend to handle the more straightforward cases and provide admin support to the professionally qualified staff.

If you have source for the information maybe you could tell us how many doctors there are and which are full-time and how many hours part-time doctors work.

I have boldened two sentences in your post. In the second one support staff handling straightforward cases seems to contradict the statement that support staff 'do not make medical decisions'. Some contradiction there so it needs clarification.

Upvote 0
Sep 12, 2016
Chesterfield England Tellus 3
Funster No
MH
Lunar Roadstar 800
Exp
6 years
I sent for my medical 70yo licence in October 2023 and received it 24th December 2023 by the last post before Christmas (we actually set off for Folkestone 25th Dec )it took many many phone calls a second medical questionnaire and one from my GP (which the surgery took 3 weeks to give it to him - as they only do them once a month !!!!!) to get it in time

Upvote 0

x17ken

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 11, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo
Exp
Since 2015
If you have source for the information maybe you could tell us how many doctors there are and which are full-time and how many hours part-time doctors work.

I have boldened two sentences in your post. In the second one support staff handling straightforward cases seems to contradict the statement that support staff 'do not make medical decisions'. Some contradiction there so it needs clarification.
By a medical decision, I mean a judgement by a qualified doctor about the applicability of driving licence regulations in a particular case, where declarations of possible physical impediments to safe driving have been made by the applicant or their doctor. However, In some cases the metrics of allowable conditions have been well codified in law (eg. eyesight numbers). In these cases it is possible for a non-medically qualified person to say the case is within the numbers or not. They are not making a medical decision they are relying on the declarations made by GPs, opticians etc. who are external to the DVLA. Sorry if this was not clear in my post. As far as current numbers of doctors employed by the DVLA is concerned, I don't know the answer. I did know the answer some years ago. A freedom of information (FOI) request to the CEO will get you a precise number.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back