What is going on with DVLA? (1 Viewer)

Dec 30, 2015
Bury
Funster No
MH
Pilote G650L
Exp
Three years
My licence renewal application has been with those useless idiots since the first week of January. How long are these taking at the moment? Anyone any idea? It's a C1 renewal. I sent them a letter from a consultant with additional information. They gave me an email address to get it there as quickly as possible, then said "it takes 10 days to scan it into our system"....... Could they be any more useless?

Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
19 month year 18000 miles UK, Ireland, France, Spain, Germany, Italy. Campsites and off Grid.
You're not seriously telling me that the best way to deal with a government service is via Twitter?.......... Unbelievable.

Because it's a public forum. They do want to risk being publicly shamed. I've used twitter, Facebook successfully with energy and broadband companies when I needed something to be sorted. Sad but the way life is now.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
acropolis22
Dec 30, 2015
Bury
Funster No
MH
Pilote G650L
Exp
Three years
Amazingly, Twitter/X did actually get some action! I had a message back to say my details would be passed on and someone would call me. Even more amazing, someone did call me! She confirmed she could see the consultant's letter I had sent in, and she would email the medical team to tell them it was an urgent case due to the long delay and my upcoming ferry booking. I would have preferred to actually speak to the medical team but I guess that's too much to expect. Now I can only wait.

Upvote 0
May 3, 2023
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Accent
We couldn't put a private reg on retention online, it requested via post. Was fully expecting 6 weeks + but it was done in a week, and the new V5C was in the post today. Off to put a euro millions ticket on for tomorrow :LOL:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Aug 8, 2019
Chichester
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Broadway
Exp
Since 2019
I'm 70 in June and I sent my C1/D1 forms and the separate medical forms to different addresses on 1st April by registered mail without my old licence and photo and they were delivered back to me on 11the April, credit where credits due. The only downside was I lost 2 months from my licence, but I panicked that I wouldn't get it back on time for my trips abroad.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
acropolis22
Dec 30, 2015
Bury
Funster No
MH
Pilote G650L
Exp
Three years
I'm 70 in June and I sent my C1/D1 forms and the separate medical forms to different addresses on 1st April by registered mail without my old licence and photo and they were delivered back to me on 11the April, credit where credits due. The only downside was I lost 2 months from my licence, but I panicked that I wouldn't get it back on time for my trips abroad.
Yes, it seems pretty clear that renewals are not being dealt with in chronological order........

Upvote 0
Apr 26, 2015
Ottershaw
Funster No
MH
Hymer S820
Exp
First motorhome May 2021
Yes, it seems pretty clear that renewals are not being dealt with in chronological order........
I don't think it's a case of not being dealt with in chronological order, it's because in your case they needed further proof of your fitness, so your application was pulled out of the queue to await appraisal by the medical team, who are unfortunately decidedly slow.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
acropolis22
Dec 30, 2015
Bury
Funster No
MH
Pilote G650L
Exp
Three years
I don't think it's a case of not being dealt with in chronological order, it's because in your case they needed further proof of your fitness, so your application was pulled out of the queue to await appraisal by the medical team, who are unfortunately decidedly slow.
Not true. I submitted mine first week of January, and they have confirmed it wasn't even passed to the medical team till 18th February. So not a case of needing more information. Took 6 weeks to even look at it. And nine more weeks for the medical team to do sweet nothing.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Apr 26, 2015
Ottershaw
Funster No
MH
Hymer S820
Exp
First motorhome May 2021
so your application was pulled out of the queue to await appraisal by the medical team, who are unfortunately decidedly slow.
So which part of the above do you disagree with?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
acropolis22
Dec 30, 2015
Bury
Funster No
MH
Pilote G650L
Exp
Three years
So which part of the above do you disagree with?
None, but you left out the bit that matters. The delay wasn't "because in your case they needed further proof of your fitness". They had the application for 6 weeks before it was "pulled out of the queue". That's what I'm moaning about. Plus they've done nothing in 9 weeks since the medical team got it.

Upvote 0
Aug 8, 2019
Chichester
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Broadway
Exp
Since 2019
Anything that has to go to the medical section will take time, normal renewals are usually done in a reasonable time.
Mine went to the medical team via separate registered letter and still came back approved 11 days later

Upvote 0

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
I've had Type 1 diabetes for 53 years in August but as I'd already had it years by the time I decided to learn to drive, every single full licence I have ever had, has been and still is a 3-year 'medical' licence. Renewed mine yet again a couple of weeks ago, all done online again and got the replacement back in the post after approx 10 days.

You only EVER answer the exact questions they ask and NEVER add info you think might be helpful unless they actually request you to do so and inform you HOW to give that info. Our old GP told me and OH once that he'd done an HGV renewal medical for a patient and the Q was "Do they have normal BP Yes/No" so he crossed out the No and wrote the actual precisely normal BP reading 120/80 in the margin. They chucked it out - you are ONLY allowed to answer either Yes or No.

Upvote 0
Feb 24, 2020
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 1974
That is true. The opticians instructions notes state + or - not accepted on their form with their readings.
Fortunately I had read it and got it altered at the time of the test.
However there is common sense at the DVLA. My doctor had answered the question "Is there a history of cardiac problems ?" by crossing out NO instead of yes. I sent a covering letter pointing this out since i was going away for 3 weeks next day early in the morning and no problem new licence turned up 8 days later.

Upvote 0
Aug 11, 2023
Ely, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria 640 Twin
Exp
Since 2015
My licence renewal application has been with those useless idiots since the first week of January. How long are these taking at the moment? Anyone any idea? It's a C1 renewal. I sent them a letter from a consultant with additional information. They gave me an email address to get it there as quickly as possible, then said "it takes 10 days to scan it into our system"....... Could they be any more useless?
To help with your frustrations I suggest you contact your MP. I had a similar issue and emailed my MP. I received an apology from DVSA. FYI my application was sent in July for a renewal in October. Licence granted in March the following year. Good luck.

Upvote 0
Jan 15, 2019
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne
Exp
1 year
I’m in the same boat mines been with dvla since November 23 for a C1
My license ran out January so been driving on section 88. But my insurance ran out April 24 now insurance will not renew as they say I don’t have a valid license.
Phoned dvla told them the problem of insurance and taxing van they could not give a monkey’s . Now put complaint in and contacted MP for help as I have a van value of about £30000 not insured or taxed
What can we do now

Upvote 0
Sep 18, 2021
East Lothian, UK
Funster No
MH
bessacarr e745
My husband applied for his class 2 renewal in November last year. Because he had been referred to cardio several months before (all cleared and no treatment needed) they wanted GP report, not happy with that they wanted consultant report despite the GP copying from the consultant report! Now they want a docutamine stress test. Waiting time by hospital 8 weeks to be given an appointment, so I guess that means a further wait once I get the appt letter for the procedure. Tried going private but no one in Scotland does it.

Absolute joke! We should all start a protest🤣🤣

Absolute joke!

Upvote 0
Apr 26, 2016
South West Wales.
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur LVX 9
Exp
since 2000
know the feeling well,, sent in my C1 renewal last november with every detail needed filled in,
eventually got my renewal early march
i
I have written a lengthy detailed complaint, 2nd week in march and they scanned it 10 days after receipt, and are mulling over their reply, nothing yet, but i am insistent that they investigate the admin shambles they have perfected.

Upvote 0
Apr 26, 2016
South West Wales.
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur LVX 9
Exp
since 2000
My husband applied for his class 2 renewal in November last year. Because he had been referred to cardio several months before (all cleared and no treatment needed) they wanted GP report, not happy with that they wanted consultant report despite the GP copying from the consultant report! Now they want a docutamine stress test. Waiting time by hospital 8 weeks to be given an appointment, so I guess that means a further wait once I get the appt letter for the procedure. Tried going private but no one in Scotland does it.

Absolute joke! We should all start a protest🤣🤣

Absolute joke!
write in with a formal complaint
the dubotamine test is ok no need to worry
nothing like the stress the DVLA put you under

Upvote 0
Apr 26, 2016
South West Wales.
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur LVX 9
Exp
since 2000
Amazingly, Twitter/X did actually get some action! I had a message back to say my details would be passed on and someone would call me. Even more amazing, someone did call me! She confirmed she could see the consultant's letter I had sent in, and she would email the medical team to tell them it was an urgent case due to the long delay and my upcoming ferry booking. I would have preferred to actually speak to the medical team but I guess that's too much to expect. Now I can only wait.
if they are really helpful your GP or consultant can actually call and speak to the DVLA medical team i know my consultant did
and told me these people are bloody impossible to reason with

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Apr 26, 2016
South West Wales.
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur LVX 9
Exp
since 2000
I’m in the same boat mines been with dvla since November 23 for a C1
My license ran out January so been driving on section 88. But my insurance ran out April 24 now insurance will not renew as they say I don’t have a valid license.
Phoned dvla told them the problem of insurance and taxing van they could not give a monkey’s . Now put complaint in and contacted MP for help as I have a van value of about £30000 not insured or taxed
What can we do now
get an article in the Western Mail (a South Wales Daily newspaper)
they would like a local news (DVLA) article

Upvote 0
Sep 18, 2021
East Lothian, UK
Funster No
MH
bessacarr e745
write in with a formal complaint
the dubotamine test is ok no need to worry
nothing like the stress the DVLA put you under
Thanks Clive. Already complained to them so has the MP. Which is when they advised the stress test. Just can’t get through to see if there is another test he can do which will be quicker.

Part of this was the GP who sat on it from beginnng of January till 22 March! They are really busy with very little time for private work which this is classed as! They promised it by 26 February but once they realised we were going to Costa Rica in March put it to the end of the pile! Ombudsman for them now.

Patience is a virtue😂

Upvote 0
Mar 31, 2015
Mossley. Lancashire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2015
I’ll add my troubles to the DVLA list.
I sent my C1 renewal form in December last year. I’ve twice and yes I got through, finally, to the medical team!
They said I should receive my licence in two weeks .i am still waiting. I then sent an email because my licence had run out and I needed it to drive to my garage for service and MOT. They said have you read Section 88!! I said no so they sent me a copy by email. Section 88 allows drivers to drive on the road until they actually receive their new licence.

Upvote 0
Jan 15, 2019
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne
Exp
1 year
I’ll add my troubles to the DVLA list.
I sent my C1 renewal form in December last year. I’ve twice and yes I got through, finally, to the medical team!
They said I should receive my licence in two weeks .i am still waiting. I then sent an email because my licence had run out and I needed it to drive to my garage for service and MOT. They said have you read Section 88!! I said no so they sent me a copy by email. Section 88 allows drivers to drive on the road until they actually receive their new licence.
Ok until you need to renew your insurance
If your license expires

Upvote 0
Oct 7, 2022
Goole, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner nexxo t720
Exp
Since 2010
You clearly have had a bad experience. The best thing to do is send a complaint directly to the DVLA Chief Executive's office. That will get you the attention you need. The DVSA are a very different organisation in terms of their make up and role. The bulk of their staff are middle ranking technical and examining staff. Around 65% of them are male. Comparisons with the low ranking clerical staff in the female dominated DVLA are not that relevant. I know and have met many DVLA employees over my 40 years of living nearby. All of them have been "decent individuals" and hard working with a strong sense of responsibility. Many struggle to balance child rearing with working life, like working women (and men) everywhere. In their "real world' they have had to become significant contributors to the family budget since the demise of our heavy industries, high levels of unemployment and continuing threats to local jobs to this day (eg. in nearby Port Talbot). In our economy inward investment is currently dismal, Welsh GDP is one of the lowest in the UK, and many of our valley towns and villages are in terminal decay. I'm sure that many of the DVLA staff could prove themselves and be "tolerated" elsewhere if they had the chance and/or opportunity. On a positive note, I read recently that the DVLA retained the independently assessed Customer Service Excellence Accreditation for the 15th year running. So I guess they are getting it right for some.
I sent my C1 renewal by special delivery no medical issues back in 8 days.

Upvote 0

OldCodger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 1, 2017
Surrey, UK
Funster No
MH
Carthago I 143 LE
Exp
Since 2016
Just one suggestion that worked for us. Write to your MP. The effect can be magical - our MP is usually a waste of oxygen but one letter to him and things moved spectacularly after being glacial

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back