What do you put in/on your Porridge (1 Viewer)

Mark and Mindy

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2017
Nr Bicester
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640 SGX
Exp
Since 2019
Always made with full fat milk, stir in some coconut oil once its in the bowl, keeps me going for a minimum of 6 hours; as a child I had black treacle, we rarely had sugar as food generally wasn't oversweet as we didn't consume sugar in the quantities that today's foods seem to have in them.

Oct 1, 2017
Funster No
Chia seeds, goji berries, scoop of protein powder (chocolate flavoured) coconut milk and soaked overnight, 2 mins microwave in morning then add spoon of peanut butter, carbs, protein and good fats all in one, sorted💪💪

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
As standard water. As a luxury milk. On my birthday Nutella.

More often and not though use it to make Bircher muesli with an apple, chia seeds and a dried cranberries and a spoon full of yoghurt.

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
Enjoy porridge very much, but need to add sugar or syrup for my preferred taste. So only have it as a special treat occasionally.

Instead, almost every day, have raw oats that have been soaked bircher-style (usually in soya milk), rather than cooked. Then mix in some ground seeds - linseed, chia, sunflower, sesame, and or pumpkin. Then add fresh fruit - whatever we've got: apple, pear, strawberry, raspberry, blueberry, blackberry, banana (but careful not to over do it). Finally, a small dob of Greek-style natural yogurt.

So, the point of not cooking the oats is that it does not require any sugar or syrup adding, just a small amount of fruit.

Another part of our breakfast ritual for much of the year is self-picked blackberries. So this is a busy time of year collecting stocks, then spread them out on a tray and freeze at home. After a couple of hours or so, transfer to storage container(s) in the freezer. By freezing this way, the fruit doesn't disintegrate into a solid block. Instead, it's easy to pick out a handful every evening to go in the fridge overnight, ready for breakfast in the morning. And usually we have free fresh or frozen blackberries every day between mid-August right through the winter until the end of April - it would be even longer if we were prepared to give up more freezer space. ;)

And just to go completely off at a tangent, I find picking wild blackberries really therapeutic. :rolleyes: :giggle:

Again, if you cook blackberries (as with a lot of other fruits) they require sugar adding. So whilst we enjoy cooked fruit, we try whenever possible to eat it raw. (y)

Last edited:
Nov 22, 2018
South East but not London
Funster No
MH
Rimor Europeo 87
Exp
Five years plus three tugging
Mrs DDJC has Flahavens, with yoghurt and whatever berries are in the fridge.

I have sausages & white pud, or cheese and onion omelette, or even a bowl of berries & dried fruit. No porridge because oats are cattle feed and I prefer to wait until enough oats have gone into the cattle. Only then are they worth eating, medium rare.

Mar 3, 2013
Poole
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
I am a heathen….shed loads of brown sugar and nowt else. Ready brek if I can’t be bothered with the faff :LOL:

Portland

Free Member
Oct 31, 2013
Conwy
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
20 years
Salt in the porridge before cooking then honey, followed by toast with marmite drizzled with honey 🤩 try it before you condem it 😉 😊

hja

May 8, 2020
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit Prim
Exp
Since 2019
Salt in the porridge before cooking in water. Then a little milk and granulated artificial sweetener.
Porridge every day at home during the week. Home made muesli with some fresh fruit at weekends and in the van.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
I thought only children and old people ate porridge?
Now that was a silly thing to post and I need your assistance!:rolleyes:

Love porridge and has to be salt and only salt! Not only do you waste the quality oats by putting sugar \ syrup \ jam \ etc\ etc ..... on them but it wastes these as well!:doh:

Anyway, to my problem! :eek:

You've seen my previous posts and they're, obviously, written by a wean!

However, given the silver hair and beard can you advise which of your two categories do I fall into?:unsure:

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Depends on my mood , I like it with salt but sometimes with syrup or cinnamon

It's grand in the cold weather

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Of course I'm a Porridge eater in the Winter months....however it's equally palatable cold during the summertime....no cooking required...make sure the liquid is added 20 minutes pre eating....Yoghurt, Milk or whatever....the goodness value remains....👍🙄❤️

Jul 2, 2019
doncaster
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 2010
I could live on porridge ,jumbo oats,with,full fat yoghurt on top ,cinnamon,or blueberries(any soft fruit) a bucket of prunes,
or plain with salt …………a feast

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back