VPN questions (1 Viewer)

Jan 29, 2014
Scunthorpe
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache
Exp
July 2013
In Portugal at the moment I have 25 g of my unlimited data each month that I can use.
If I buy a Vodafone Portugal SIM 15 Euro for 15 days unlimited. Do I need a VPN so the boss can watch UK soaps.
I will be using my laptop for a TV s it's a large screen.

Jul 6, 2009
Funster No
We found using amazon fire stick to watch UK tv via Orange France internet landline was ok but not for catch up.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
SWMBO likes soaps. She just sets to record at home and pigs out on them when we get back. Rarely watch tv at all when away and never when out of the UK.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I thought so it's starting to get expensive now šŸ˜ƒ
In the past I've found a free one Vpnify worked well but not used it for a couple of years but looks like it's going to be back to buying local sim's this year. Most of our watching is Prime & Netflix so hopefully OK without a VPN.

OP
OP
laurieash
Jan 29, 2014
Scunthorpe
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache
Exp
July 2013
In the past I've found a free one Vpnify worked well but not used it for a couple of years but looks like it's going to be back to buying local sim's this year. Most of our watching is Prime & Netflix so hopefully OK without a VPN.
Yes that is what I watch when her soaps have finished. And I have stopped watching the paint šŸŽØ dry.

Bolti

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 13, 2017
Hondon Valley and the Kellets
Funster No
MH
Rapido V43
Exp
Since 2015
Try vpnuk worked fine for us for the last month, used the Nottingham connection.
You can have a half price one month trial costs Ā£1.75 so worth having a punt.

OP
OP
laurieash
Jan 29, 2014
Scunthorpe
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache
Exp
July 2013
Might try the vpnuk I am in Portugal at the moment what do I put in, as I live in Scunthorpe.
And the boss wants itv hub on a local SIM.
Not to Tec savvy.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Might try the vpnuk I am in Portugal at the moment what do I put in, as I live in Scunthorpe.
And the boss wants itv hub on a local SIM.
Not to Tec savvy.
Download a VPN to your phone try Vpnify (can't guarantee free ones will work). start the VPN and connect to the UK, then start the TV app.
Another possibility is to use the Opera browser that has a VPN built in.

Jan 13, 2014
Leeds - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
40+
Download a VPN to your phone try Vpnify (can't guarantee free ones will work). start the VPN and connect to the UK, then start the TV app.
I find its wise to switch the VPN off after you finish watching your programs otherwise it cocks up your emails coming in etc as your IP address is being compromised.

Apr 19, 2019
Funster No
MH
Carado T339
Exp
5 years
The main apps don't run in the browser though do they. Might work for More4 and Prime as they run in a browser on PC

OP
OP
laurieash
Jan 29, 2014
Scunthorpe
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache
Exp
July 2013
Will be watching TV on my laptop so should I load vpnuk onto that. And my local SIM into my mifi.
So my phone users the 25 g that I have from Vodafone.

CAClase_Justin

Free Member
Feb 28, 2014
Waterlooville
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
The in country SIM and VPN combo is a hot topic and something I'm actively keeping an eye on but as I've mentioned in another post it's getting more difficult to stream the likes of iPlayer on a foreign IP even with some VPN services so before committing do your research and make sure it works for UK VOD.

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
Don't know how accurate this is but I have downloaded apps for BBC iPlayer Amazon and Netflix.
Each of those allow you to download to watch ( I presume) without internet.

It only takes a minute or so to download a half hour soap so I would try ( I LL try this myself later in month) downloading latest episode of soap then watch it. It might save some GB and might not. I genuinely don't know

Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
19 month year 18000 miles UK, Ireland, France, Spain, Germany, Italy. Campsites and off Grid.
You will be able to get a month free with ExpressVPN and NordVPN. you'll have to pay up front but if you go for the Monthly renewable contract it'll only be a few quid. Don't forget to cancel before the end of the month though.

CAClase_Justin

Free Member
Feb 28, 2014
Waterlooville
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
You can also change resolution from HD (1GB per hour) to SD (5GB per hour) some VOD services default to the best available screen resolution so can use nearly 3GB per hour of streaming. However, nearly all VOD services offer lower resolution output normally hidden away in the settings.

Downloading unless done on a UK IP address can also fall foul to blocked content when on a foreign IP but if done prior to a trip you'll be AOK but you normally have a limited period of time to view downloaded content .

Realist

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 4, 2018
Wales last time I checked.
Funster No
MH
Caravan: Buccaneer
Exp
Caravan before 2000 / Motorhome From 2018 to 22 / Now Caravan again.
Give Psiphon VPN a go itā€™s freeā€™ish and works a treat overseas, available on both Android and Apple store.

Deleted User
You can also change resolution from HD (1GB per hour) to SD (5GB per hour) some VOD services default to the best available screen resolution so can use nearly 3GB per hour of streaming. However, nearly all VOD services offer lower resolution output normally hidden away in the settings.

Downloading unless done on a UK IP address can also fall foul to blocked content when on a foreign IP but if done prior to a trip you'll be AOK but you normally have a limited period of time to view downloaded content .
Think that you have got those the wrong way round, BBC on SD uses around 0.8 Gb/hr.

I use Pure VPN which has worked well for the last couple of years streaming but I cannot now download as the BBC seems to detect that I am abroad.
This is puzzling as streaming is OK, I keep meaning to contact PureVPN about this issue but not got round to it.

CAClase_Justin

Free Member
Feb 28, 2014
Waterlooville
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
Think that you have got those the wrong way round, BBC on SD uses around 0.8 Gb/hr.

I use Pure VPN which has worked well for the last couple of years streaming but I cannot now download as the BBC seems to detect that I am abroad.
This is puzzling as streaming is OK, I keep meaning to contact PureVPN about this issue but not got round to it.
Didn't hit the . before the 5 so should read .5GB :rolleyes:

Apr 19, 2019
Funster No
MH
Carado T339
Exp
5 years
They do for me, BBC iplayer, ITV, Channel 4, My5 all run in a browser.
That's interesting - I should have clarified. Downloads are via an App for Iplayer. Streaming live is OK if you have a fast connection.

Certainly worth a try

Eddiex

Free Member
Sep 9, 2020
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Quick question - I'm just getting my head around this topic! I plan on using a laptop connected via HDMI to my 12v TV. I have a TP link router and am ordering a SIM as mentioned on Carpmart s excellent thread elsewhere on here. I want o watch Netflix and Amazon Prime. Am i correct in thinking that I don't need a VPN for these channels but I may not get all of the same content than I would if back in the UK? Also, am I correct in thinking that I need a VPN for BBC iPlayer?
Many thanks

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Quick question - I'm just getting my head around this topic! I plan on using a laptop connected via HDMI to my 12v TV. I have a TP link router and am ordering a SIM as mentioned on Carpmart s excellent thread elsewhere on here. I want o watch Netflix and Amazon Prime. Am i correct in thinking that I don't need a VPN for these channels but I may not get all of the same content than I would if back in the UK? Also, am I correct in thinking that I need a VPN for BBC iPlayer?
Many thanks
Definitely need aq VPN for iPlayer, last time we used Netflix & Prime we were using a UK sim, previously I'd downloaded loads of stuff to Android TV box from Netflix and Prime and just had to log on for a few seconds.
I think they will work without a VPN, I'm about to find out in the next couple of weeks.
Netflix content is dependent on what country your account is based in, a couple of years ago we used a 30 day free trial on Netflix when we were in Portugal I think the content was slightly different not completely sure as at home we log on to our daughters account which is based in Thailand.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back